FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - SPG Lifetime Platinums Can Now Qualify For Lifetime Titanium Status
Old May 9, 2018, 11:04 am
UA-NYC
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K1.75MM, Hyatt Globalist, abandoned Marriott LTT (RIP SPG), Hertz PC
Originally Posted by MSPeconomist
BTW, I lost all sympathy for SPG LTPs (of which I am one) when folks here started the two threads about how MR LTPs shouldn't get LTPP. I also consider it unfair and offensive that SPG Plat100s get Ambassadors in the combined program without the $20,000 spend requirement, although personally I should qualify with both nights and revenue before August.
Fact check - SPG Plat100s can get ONE more year of Ambassador - if Marriott had announced these changes Jan 1, I would have agreed with you the final year of qualifying under legacy rules was not fair, but they announced it 1/3 of the way through the year.

Yes, I started that thread. You seem to again be missing the point of my thread: 1) it was stupid to exclude SPG LT Plats who likely spent well over 750 nights (or into the four figures) or generated a HELL of a lot more points than 2MM. and that 2) the NewPlat benefits were already as good if not better than what MR existing LT Plats had, and that "bumping up" to LTPP was unnecessary.

OTOH, there's more than enough time to get from 500 to 750 lifetime SPG nights by the end of the year. In fact, with nights counting for three rooms, it should be easy. On the MR side, with only one room credit per night, we have 365 - 130 (approximate days to May 9th) = 235, so someone cannot go from 500 to 750 nights using hotel stays alone.
You're joking, right? So easy to spend 3x for the 3x number of rooms, which isn't likely for business travelers, and also not likely for leisure ones. And this is cash out of wallet. Sooooo easy to go from 500 to 750 nights in 7 months.

OTOH anyone on the Marriott side can manufacture nights via credit card spend and meeting rooms fairly easily, with no additional time on the road.

Reality check...