Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Hotels and Places to Stay > Marriott | Marriott Bonvoy
Reload this Page >

Marriott Bonvoy ‘Ambassador Elite’ Level : experiences (2020 and earlier)

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Dec 4, 2018, 10:44 am
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: HHQX888
Ambassador Service general email address: [email protected]

Ambassador Service general phone line (USA): (866) 924-9885

Europe: +353-21-4861 222
USA: +1-866-924-9885
Asia : +86-20-38157156

Print Wikipost

Marriott Bonvoy ‘Ambassador Elite’ Level : experiences (2020 and earlier)

Search this Thread

Old Jun 18, 2019, 9:15 pm

Programs: AS MVPG100K, Marriott Marriott Titanium Elite, Hilton Gold
Originally Posted by kaizen7
Marriott act of removing property e mail address inadvertently made ambassador service more useful in contacting those hotel reservations/concierges

Emails directly from the hotel Concierge pre-arrival and the chat feature online 48 hours prior to arrival at the hotel are excellent resources to work directly with the property. I find that more efficient than having a middle-man do it for me. I reply to all pre-arrival emails outlining when I will be arriving at the property and any special requests that I have. I haven't been disappointed.

As a lowly Titanium it seems to have put a few noses out of joint that I have enjoyed what some Ambassador Elites have not. I agree wholeheartedly that recognition and upgrades have seen an improvement, not just for Ambassador Elites. Suite upgrades and gifts in the room for me are more often than not.

I am currently at the Westin GDL on a three day stay. I replied to the pre-arrival email from the Concierge and mentioned it would be my first time to GDL. The day prior to my arrival I received a reply that they had upgraded me to a full 857 sq/ft 1.5 bathroom suite "for my first time in Guadalajara" for all 3 nights on a $79 PRIDE rate. My room was ready when I arrived and when I got to the room there was fruit and chocolates with a hand-written note from the Concierge. Everyday, they have been calling the room to see if everything is okay and ask if I need anything.

Off to the Westin Puerto Vallarta tomorrow.

James

C17PSGR likes this.
Old Jun 18, 2019, 10:09 pm

Programs: AS MVPG100K, Marriott Marriott Titanium Elite, Hilton Gold
Originally Posted by dunno282
AMB is just a glorified name for the concierge service at the hotel. i've had much better results dealing with the hotel & it's concierge service before and after the merger. Honestly, back in the SPG days when staying 100 nights was simply enough for AMB I didn't really expect much. Now they want 20K spend on top of the 100 nights for AMB annoys me a bit.

[...]
For some, I would anticipate the Prestige of Ambassador Elite Status only obtained with spend is more meaningful than Platinum Elite with an Ambassador in pmSPG when they are essentially the same thing. Status is everything!

James
Old Jun 19, 2019, 10:03 am

Programs: Marriott Ambassador; AA EXP 3MM; AS MVP, Hilton Gold, CH-47/UH-60/C-23/C-130 VET
Originally Posted by Flying for Fun
For some, I would anticipate the Prestige of Ambassador Elite Status only obtained with spend is more meaningful than Platinum Elite with an Ambassador in pmSPG when they are essentially the same thing. Status is everything!

James
With all due respect, they definitely aren't the same thing and I doubt most here are focused on prestige -- but rather appreciate the benefits.

In pmSPG system, it was easy to become a Plat. As one stayed more nights, they would hit thresholds and get more benefits, SNA's and then an Ambassador. But ...hotels might or might not treat a Plat with 100 nights any better than one with 25 stays. I'll say the posts on the pmSPG board varied widely.

In the pmMR system, it was hard to become a Plat Premier, which in most cases required multiple years of 100 nights and more than $20K spend. But, even though it was distinct, it was unpublished and had no clear benefits. Some hotels understood that level and treated those with Plat Premier level very well. Others had no idea that it was anything other than Plat and didn't do anything different.

In the new system, its better than either of the past. It's a published benefit with clear standards. Most hotels understand it is different and a status that means someone is one of their best customers. Suite upgrades are routine and internationally (and in some domestic properties) I'm getting nice unexpected gifts ranging from freshly baked macaroons to wine and cheese.

So yes ... I'm on track for 150 BIB nights this year in Bonvoy properties and I appreciate the increased benefits from the new program which has a defined level that is easily recognized by properties.
Antarius, bhrubin and rny321 like this.
Old Jun 19, 2019, 11:43 am
Suspended
Marriott 25+ BadgeAman Contributor Badge

Programs: Marriott Ambassador and LTT, UA Plat/LT Gold, AA Gold
@C17PSGR: hear, hear!
Antarius likes this.
Old Jun 19, 2019, 12:03 pm
SPG 5+ Badge

Programs: Marriott Ambassador, Lifetime Titanium, Delta Plat, Hilton Diamond , Hyatt Globalist
I really have noticed increased acknowledgement of Ambassador status at the hotels we stay at. Making Ambassador a separate tier level is one of Marriott’s best moves IMHO.
Old Jun 19, 2019, 12:29 pm

It sounds like I'm an outlier but of my 77 nights this year, I've only been upgraded 4 nights without using a SNA (4 separate,1 night stays). For my 6 to 7 years of being an Ambassador, my Ambassador is 0 for 3 doing something special for major events (honeymoon, wife's bday, mother's bday all at high-end properties during low season). I was hoping this would change when Ambassador was changed to its own status but I'm rarely identified as an Ambassador at check-in, let alone receive upgrades / welcome gifts.

General consensus among the 10-15 people I know with this status is a glorified customer service agent.
UA-NYC likes this.
Old Jun 19, 2019, 12:39 pm
Suspended
Aman Contributor BadgeMarriott 25+ Badge

Programs: Marriott Ambassador and LTT, UA Plat/LT Gold, AA Gold
Originally Posted by longtimereader firstimeposter
It sounds like I'm an outlier but of my 77 nights this year, I've only been upgraded 4 nights without using a SNA (4 separate,1 night stays). For my 6 to 7 years of being an Ambassador, my Ambassador is 0 for 3 doing something special for major events (honeymoon, wife's bday, mother's bday all at high-end properties during low season). I was hoping this would change when Ambassador was changed to its own status but I'm rarely identified as an Ambassador at check-in, let alone receive upgrades / welcome gifts.

General consensus among the 10-15 people I know with this status is a glorified customer service agent.
This surprises me greatly, actually. I am really sorry to hear that!

If we can ask, at what brands are you spending those 77 nights? (And how many of those are BIB?)

I’m also surprised that with 6-7 years of being Ambassador, you’ve only had 3 stays over major special occasions? When and where were your honeymoon, your wife’s bday trip, and mother’s bday trip if we can ask? Perhaps those are properties to avoid, then...

FWIW, I am not always identified as an Ambassador elite when I check in, either. I am always upgraded, however. And I am almost always upgraded to a suite, to boot.
Old Jun 19, 2019, 1:34 pm

Programs: AA EXP, Mar AMB, HH LT DIA
I stayed at the Fenway in Dunedin last weekend. I was upgraded to a suite, and when I called down to ask for a later checkout, I was told "You're an ambassador elite so you can stay until 11:24PM if you'd like". I guess Your24 kicked in. That was a first for me.
Old Jun 19, 2019, 1:57 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by txpenny
.......I was told "You're an ambassador elite so you can stay until 11:24PM if you'd like". I guess Your24 kicked in. That was a first for me.
Why 11:24PM?
newbiztraveler likes this.
Old Jun 19, 2019, 2:08 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: A3*Gold, SPG Plat, HyattDiamond, MarriottPP, LHW exAccess, ICI, Raffles Amb, NW PE MM, TWA Gold MM
Originally Posted by TerryK
Why 11:24PM?
Maybe he/she checked in at 11:24 pm?
Old Jun 19, 2019, 2:22 pm

Originally Posted by bhrubin

This surprises me greatly, actually. I am really sorry to hear that!

If we can ask, at what brands are you spending those 77 nights? (And how many of those are BIB?)

I’m also surprised that with 6-7 years of being Ambassador, you’ve only had 3 stays over major special occasions? When and where were your honeymoon, your wife’s bday trip, and mother’s bday trip if we can ask? Perhaps those are properties to avoid, then...

FWIW, I am not always identified as an Ambassador elite when I check in, either. I am always upgraded, however. And I am almost always upgraded to a suite, to boot.
My four non-SNA upgrades:

- Le Meridian Frankfurt
- Courtyard Bogota Airport (amazing suite and maybe one of the nicest Courtyards, otherwise I hate and avoid the CY brand)
- Renaissance Dallas Richardson
- Westin Dallas Park Central

I've had two stays where I applied SNA and was upgrade to amazing rooms this year - Villa at the StR Punta Mita and suite at the Hotel de Berri.

My 0-3:

- The Palace San Francisco (May 2017) for my wife's birthday - they attempted to upsell on their iPad upon arrival
- StR Bali (November 2018) for my honeymoon - nothing of note from my Ambassador although I sent them a note beforehand to note this special occasion (btw, the Four Seasons in Ubud gladly comped us to a villa)
- StR Punta Mita (May 2019) for my mother's bday - disclaimer as I had one paid night and two nights with points on separate reservations. Two nights cleared into the villa via SNA however not the one paid night. Asked my Ambassador in advance but they did not attempt to contact the hotel on I was literally on the property per the manager I spoke with. My Ambassador emailed apologizing there was nothing they could do. I was able to talk with the manager and get myself into the 2 bedroom villa they had open (not sure if this was due to Ambassador status but definitely not due to Ambassador intervention).

Generally stay at the mid-tiers and the 77 nights are BIB during the week - Le Meridian, Sheraton, Westin, Marriott, Renaissance. Unfortunately Marriott has gotten rid of the old SPG brand map that showed you exactly how many nights in each or else I would give an exact breakdown.
Old Jun 19, 2019, 2:29 pm

Programs: AA EXP, Mar AMB, HH LT DIA
Originally Posted by MSPeconomist
Maybe he/she checked in at 11:24 pm?
Bingo
Old Jun 19, 2019, 2:36 pm
Hilton Contributor BadgeHyatt Contributor Badge

Programs: Hyatt Globalist, Bonvoy LT Plat, Hilton Gold, GHA Tit, BA Gold, Turkish Elite
A hotel presumably not understanding Your24 again, but this time in the favour of a customer for a change!
Keyser likes this.
Old Jun 19, 2019, 5:20 pm

Programs: Bonvoy :Ambassador , ALL :Diamond, Skywards :Silver, Krisflyer :Silver
Originally Posted by longtimereader firstimeposter
My four non-SNA upgrades:

- Le Meridian Frankfurt
- Courtyard Bogota Airport (amazing suite and maybe one of the nicest Courtyards, otherwise I hate and avoid the CY brand)
- Renaissance Dallas Richardson
- Westin Dallas Park Central

I've had two stays where I applied SNA and was upgrade to amazing rooms this year - Villa at the StR Punta Mita and suite at the Hotel de Berri.

My 0-3:

- The Palace San Francisco (May 2017) for my wife's birthday - they attempted to upsell on their iPad upon arrival
- StR Bali (November 2018) for my honeymoon - nothing of note from my Ambassador although I sent them a note beforehand to note this special occasion (btw, the Four Seasons in Ubud gladly comped us to a villa)
- StR Punta Mita (May 2019) for my mother's bday - disclaimer as I had one paid night and two nights with points on separate reservations. Two nights cleared into the villa via SNA however not the one paid night. Asked my Ambassador in advance but they did not attempt to contact the hotel on I was literally on the property per the manager I spoke with. My Ambassador emailed apologizing there was nothing they could do. I was able to talk with the manager and get myself into the 2 bedroom villa they had open (not sure if this was due to Ambassador status but definitely not due to Ambassador intervention).

Generally stay at the mid-tiers and the 77 nights are BIB during the week - Le Meridian, Sheraton, Westin, Marriott, Renaissance. Unfortunately Marriott has gotten rid of the old SPG brand map that showed you exactly how many nights in each or else I would give an exact breakdown.
Thats quite bad result for an ambassador member.
Even mid tier hotels should be able to upgrade you to their better category room.

Suite upgrade might be harder to come on these mid tier hotels due to the limited number of suites they have.
Although my only non SNA suite upgrade for this year is from a Courtyard.

I didnt get upgraded at StR Bali as well, but then again I already book their usual upgrade pool suite category.
Old Jun 20, 2019, 4:57 pm

Programs: Marriott Titanium Elite (Lifetime Gold), United 1K
Email from my Ambassador who has ignored multiple emails from me thanking me and handing me off to the next one. Hopefully my new one will be more proactive and responsive.
bhrubin likes this.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.