Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Hotels and Places to Stay > Marriott | Marriott Bonvoy
Reload this Page >

FAQ : Marriott's "breakfast offering" explained, by brand and by Bonvoy elite level

Old Aug 24, 2018, 10:27 am
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: PTahCha
Huge thanks to Horace for this list (which is much simpler to understand than Marriott's T&Cs!)

Daily Breakfast for Platinum Elite and Above

Six categories:

1. Breakfast for member + 1 in the lounge. If the hotel does not have a lounge or the lounge is closed, member can choose 750 points OR continental breakfast for member + 1 in the restaurant. A limited number of hotels provide 1,000 points each day the lounge is closed instead of a choice (Through June 30, 2024). Any of these benefits are in addition to the Platinum Elite welcome gift.

Autograph Collection (excluding resorts)
Courtyard (properties with a lounge only; Asia, Australia, Pacific Islands, Caribbean, Mexico, Central America, South America, the Middle East, and Africa only)
Delta* (excluding resorts)
JW Marriott (excluding resorts)
Marriott (excluding resorts)
Renaissance (excluding resorts)
* many Delta properties provide breakfast from an Elite Pantry as an alternative to a Signature Lounge, in which case the hotel does not need to provide breakfast for member + 1 the restaurant.

2. Breakfast in the hotel restaurant for member + 1 as a Platinum Elite welcome gift option (not in addition to it).

Aloft
Autograph Collection (resorts only)
Delta (resorts only)
Four Points
The Luxury Collection
JW Marriott (resorts only)
Le Mridien
Marriott (resorts only)
Protea
Renaissance (resorts only)
St. Regis
Sheraton **
Tribute Portfolio
W Hotels
Westin **
** Marriott Vacation Club, Sheraton Vacation Club, and Westin Vacation Club properties are not Marriott, Sheraton, and Westin hotels/resorts.

3. Breakfast in lounge for member + 1, if the hotel has a lounge. This is in addition to the Platinum Elite welcome gift, which could be breakfast for member + 1 in the restaurant. No alternative benefit if the lounge is closed.

Le Mridien (only at locations with a lounge)
Sheraton (only at locations with a lounge)
Westin (only at locations with a lounge)

4. Daily U.S. $10 F&B credit for member + 1 as a Platinum Elite welcome gift option (not in addition to it). Can be applied toward breakfast or toward other F&B purchase in the hotel restaurant or bar. Does not accrue over multiple-night stay.

AC Hotels
Courtyard (locations without a lounge only, which means most locations)
MOXY ***
*** some MOXY property are more generous, providing full breakfasts to those who apply their F&B credits toward breakfast, with no additional charge

5. Breakfast for all guests included in room rate, regardless of status or membership

Element ****
Fairfield (except Fairfield Asia Pacific hotels) ****
Residence Inn (NO breakfast at Residence Inn New Orleans French Quarter/CBD)
SpringHill Suites
TownePlace Suites
**** very few exceptions; check official hotel website

6. No complimentary daily breakfast, even for Platinum Elite and Above

Design Hotels
Edition
Fairfield Asia Pacific hotels
Gaylord Hotels
Marriott Executive Apartments
Marriott Vacation Club / MVC Pulse / Grand Residences by Marriott
The Ritz-Carlton / Ritz-Carlton Reserve / Ritz-Carlton Residence Club
Vistana / Sheraton Vacation Club / Westin Vacation Club

Note: This list does not identify specific properties that deviate from the published benefits. In some cases, exceptions are identified in the Marriott Bonvoy Loyalty Program Terms & Conditions or on specific property webpages. Exceptions are few, but can be an unpleasant or pleasant surprise, depending on whether the property provides less or more than the published benefits.Through June 30, 2024, the following properties in the United States do not provide free continental breakfast in the hotel restaurant in the event the Lounge is closed but do offer 1,000 Points in lieu of breakfast. These properties include:

The Algonquin Hotel Times Square, Autograph Collection

Boston Marriott Copley Place

Boston Marriott Long Wharf

Chicago Marriott Downtown Magnificent Mile

JW Marriott Essex House New York City

JW Marriott New Orleans

JW Marriott San Francisco Union Square

JW Marriott Washington, DC

The Lexington Hotel, Autograph Collection

Monterey Marriott

New York Marriott Marquis

Philadelphia Marriott Downtown

Renaissance Boston Waterfront Hotel

Renaissance Chicago Downtown Hotel

Renaissance Los Angeles Airport Hotel

Renaissance New York Midtown Hotel

Renaissance New York Times Square Hotel

Marriott Marquis San Diego Marina

Print Wikipost

FAQ : Marriott's "breakfast offering" explained, by brand and by Bonvoy elite level

Old Jan 9, 2020, 7:12 pm

Some of you sound surprised that MAR would initiate this? I'm surely not! Wouldn't surprise me one bit this would go system wide - not one bit.
UA-NYC and 3rdworldresident like this.
Old Jan 9, 2020, 8:11 pm

Programs: AAdvantage Platinum, United Silver, Marriott Titanium Elite
Originally Posted by sbedelman
But they are making a distinction because the terms and conditions state that some properties include "continental breakfast" while others provide "breakfast."
The term "continental breakfast" only appears in the Marriott Bonvoy Program T&Cs six times — only in conjunction with the Lounge Access (and alternative) benefit for Platinum Elite Members and above.

At Marriott Bonvoy brands that offer breakfast as a Welcome Gift option for Platinum Elite Members and above, the wording is "breakfast in restaurant per night of Stay for Member +1." This applies to Westin and most other SPG legacy brands, as well as to Protea and resorts of five Marriott legacy brands.

The term "continental breakfast" is not used in conjunction with Welcome Gift breakfasts.

Although "breakfast in restaurant" is not defined, it's reasonable to expect a breakfast similar to what other guests are eating. That could mean a full buffet. It could mean a menu item, juice, and coffee. A true continental breakfast — freshly baked breads, meats, cheeses, smoked fish, fruit, pastries, and local specialties — would be appropriate at properties in continental Europe.

At a higher-end hotel or resort, I expect a higher-end breakfast. At a Four Points at an Interstate exit, I would not expect as much — but I would still expect a breakfast similar to what other guests are having.

Technically, a packet of instant coffee dissolved into a cup of hot water and a packet of Carnation Instant Breakfast dissolved into a cup of cold water could be considered "breakfast in restaurant" if provided at the hotel restaurant. But that would clearly not be acceptable at a premium full-service hotel.

Originally Posted by Bravada04
Some of you sound surprised that MAR would initiate this? I'm surely not! Wouldn't surprise me one bit this would go system wide - not one bit.
I honestly don't think Marriott is telling hotels they are required to disappoint Platinum Elite (and above) guests.

I only blame Marriott for not enforcing standards more rigorously on those hotel managers who think it's good business to shave costs by a dollar to two by treating Marriott's most frequent guests as second-class guests.

In 2019, as a Titanium Elite member, I had excellent breakfasts at hotels where daily breakfast was a Welcome Gift option for me — Westin, Sheraton, and Luxury Collection properties at which I stayed. I expect the same in 2020.
Tanic, margarita girl and Kacee like this.

Last edited by Horace; Jan 9, 2020 at 8:51 pm
Old Jan 9, 2020, 9:20 pm

Help me out here...

Autograph Collection hotel without lounge... As Titanium, should get welcome gift, as well as breakfast in hotel restaurant for me + 1, correct?

Now, for a Marriott with a lounge, I would only get welcome gift, and access to lounge, right?
Old Jan 9, 2020, 9:46 pm

Originally Posted by Horace
In 2019, as a Titanium Elite member, I had excellent breakfasts at hotels where daily breakfast was a Welcome Gift option for me Westin, Sheraton, and Luxury Collection properties at which I stayed. I expect the same in 2020.
Unfortunately that expectation may not be universally met for the brands you've listed unless a breakfast can still be excellent when it's just Continental.
Old Jan 9, 2020, 9:54 pm

Originally Posted by shimps1
Help me out here...

Autograph Collection hotel without lounge... As Titanium, should get welcome gift, as well as breakfast in hotel restaurant for me + 1, correct?

Now, for a Marriott with a lounge, I would only get welcome gift, and access to lounge, right?
Yes to both. The rules for Autograph Collection and Marriott Hotels are same. Breakfast in the restaurant is not a Welcome Gift option at either one (except at resorts).

Elite breakfast is provided through "Guaranteed Lounge Access." Breakfast in the restaurant comes into a play if there is no lounge.

There have been reports of some Marriott Hotels properties that give Platinum Elite (and above) guests a choice of breakfast in the lounge or the restaurant, but this is not a published benefit.

In any case, the Welcome Gift (usually 1000 points or USD$10 per stay) is separate (resorts excluded).

Last edited by Horace; Jan 9, 2020 at 10:15 pm
Old Jan 9, 2020, 9:59 pm

Originally Posted by sbedelman
Unfortunately that expectation may not be universally met for the brands you've listed unless a breakfast can still be excellent when it's just Continental.
Just because one front desk employee at one Westin claimed that Marriott headquarters was forcing the hotel to limit guests in Marriott Bonvoy's top tiers to continental breakfast does not make it a fact. It sounds more like trying to shift blame for a guest-hostile cost cutting move at that Westin.
Old Jan 9, 2020, 10:17 pm

Just because one front desk employee at one Westin claimed that Marriott headquarters was forcing the hotel to limit guests in Marriott Bonvoy's top tiers to continental breakfast does not make it a fact. It sounds more like trying to shift blame for a guest-hostile cost cutting move at that Westin.
Fair enough but since the terms and conditions say "breakfast" and Marriott is in position to enforce those conditions whether Marriott is explicitly giving properties the right to substitute a Continental breakfast or turning a blind eye when they do the responsibility is theirs. Either they've redefined breakfast to mean Continental breakfast or allowed properties to do so then failed to do anything even thought that's not what the T&Cs promise.
Old Jan 9, 2020, 11:10 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: AS 75K; UA 1MM; Hyatt Globalist; Marriott LTP; Hilton Diamond (Aspire)
Although "breakfast in restaurant" is not defined, it's reasonable to expect a breakfast similar to what other guests are eating.
I find your analysis excellent, but would point out that in the era of Bonvoy, what the guest might reasonably expect has been proven completely irrelevant. What I've unfortunately come to expect is that at some significant percentage of properties, management will cut as many corners as they can in terms of providing published benefits. And corporate won't do a thing about it.

My solution is to direct business to the properties that comply with the letter and spirit of the T&C, and avoid the ones that don't.
Tanic, UA-NYC and 3rdworldresident like this.
Old Jan 9, 2020, 11:54 pm

Programs: AS Million Miler, Marriott Lifetime Platinum, Nexus / Global Entry
Just a random data point here.

The missus and I stayed at the Westin in Bellevue, WA just prior to year end. As a Titanium I just took the points upon check-in and didn’t even think about breakfast. Nothing offered besides the welcome points at check in. I was really happy because this stay was literally the first and only time I was able to use a SNA all year. Sad/annoyed that 9 expired on me and the Customer Service wouldn’t extend them. Clearly I’m not alone on this.

Visited the front desk after midnight (my jazz/Latin band was playing in the Cypress Lounge at the Westin that evening ) to inquire about a Concierge Lounge and the very nice gent gave me a certificate good for the two of us for a Continental breakfast.

He made it very clear that the unwritten hotel policy was to cover any breakfast including the full buffet which was $26/each even though the voucher stated “Continental Breakfast”. And the soft scrambled eggs w cheddar, bacon, onions and olives were perfect.

All in all a very satisfying stay.
Old Jan 10, 2020, 7:27 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K1.75MM, Hyatt Globalist, abandoned Marriott LTT (RIP SPG), Hertz PC
I would posit part of Marriott's "profitability" strategy (explained in 2019 to the financial community) is clearly to reduce costs for its direct customers (hotel owners), and thus they actually do believe it is "good business to shave costs by a dollar to two by treating Marriott's most frequent guests as second-class guests".
Old Jan 16, 2020, 5:02 pm

Originally Posted by sea_jeff
He made it very clear that the unwritten hotel policy was to cover any breakfast including the full buffet which was $26/each even though the voucher stated Continental Breakfast. And the soft scrambled eggs w cheddar, bacon, onions and olives were perfect.
At checkout the front counter person said the same thing (too late for us however). He confirmed that there was a Marriott policy change. Whether that was an instruction from corporate to only offer Continental or permission to offer that rather than a full breakfast he didn't say.

FYI see attached pictures of the spread that was on offer. It would make a Fairfield proud.

Old Jan 16, 2020, 7:14 pm

Programs: AS Million Miler, Marriott Lifetime Platinum, Nexus / Global Entry
I’d definitely go with Bellevue vs. Tucson.
Old Jan 20, 2020, 8:30 pm
Moderator: Mileage Run, InterContinental Hotels

There are now three AC hotels in Malaysia. The Penang property has a club lounge, which I assumed Plat+ would get access to, but I do not see any provision in the T&Cs that either guarantees lounge access at AC hotels in Asia (AC is excluded from lounge access per term 4.3.c.iv.), nor a proper breakfast (AC is a $10 credit brand per 4.3.c.iii.). I assume that these hotels will offer club access anyway (anything else wouldn't be competitive in Malaysia), but perhaps if any Marriott bigwig reads this, it might make sense to update the T&Cs. What's a few more lines if your T&Cs are already 28,000 words long?!
Old Feb 8, 2020, 2:19 pm

Programs: Aeroplan 25K, Marriott Lifetime Platinum Elite, IHG Gold, Hertz President's Club, VIA Premier
Just read the past 200 posts. Tiring, Confusing. Amusing. Confusing. Intentional repeat for emphasis.

Thanks to all of you for sharing your experiences and in particular to Horace for his frequent and factual replies. A+.

Unfortunately, after writing to Mr. Sorenson almost exactly one year ago about a massive number of service failures re. my complaint about a CY's incorrect application of the $10 voucher (one per night, instead of one per person per night), I've run face first into an identical scenario at another CY about five minutes from the first one (both near YYZ). Last year it was the location at 7015 Century Blvd. Today it's the one at 290 Derry Avenue.

This time, I've initiated clarification using the chat within the app. Basically, I'm going to set the line, asking for the duty manager to confirm for me that's it's $10 for the stay, even though there are two of us registered to the room. Once I get the confirmation, I'm going for the $50 guarantee.

Can someone please explain to me the process for making the claim? I feel dumb...I should have done the claim the last time I was denied the benefit - given that things were apologized for extensively (see post 482) by Marriott HO and the local hotel as well.

Such a run around and hassle, but I hate it when corporation's don't uphold their end of the bargain. So I'm going after them. Again.

That said, I can see at the local level why there are so confused. As described in an earlier post, the section of the T&Cs that talks about the $50 guarantee compensation makes reference to the amenity as being $10 per day. Hard stop. No "**" explaining that we're entitled to a second $10 if there are two guests in the room. To make matters worse, the voucher I received, also makes reference to a $10 credit - it does not mention anything about $10 for a guest as well. (Last year, the voucher given actually mentioned a guest gets the $10 as well).

So I'm sure this is gonna be messy, but I'm just going to shoot this right up to the CEO's office again, audit trail in hand. But this time I want the $50 for my troubles. Not because I'm going to retire on it, but because these clowns aren't ever going to change unless it hits them where it hurts. So I'm going to do my part.
margarita girl likes this.
Old Feb 8, 2020, 2:37 pm

Programs: Marriott Lifetime Titanium, AA Plat MM
The $10 certificate at Canadian Courtyards is $10CAD or currently $7.52USD. It has been that way at every Courtyard in Canada that I've stayed at since this aspect of the program was started, including one of those mentioned directly above. That ship has sailed. I've never stayed at a Canadian Courtyard longer than 1 day, so have never had the stay vs. day argument. The extra coupon for my wife sometimes requires discussion, but that's true in the US too. Having said that, my last two Courtyard stays have gotten it 100% right.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.