Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Hotels and Places to Stay > Marriott | Marriott Bonvoy
Reload this Page >

FAQ : Marriott's "breakfast offering" explained, by brand and by Bonvoy elite level

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Aug 24, 2018, 10:27 am
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: PTahCha
Huge thanks to Horace for this list (which is much simpler to understand than Marriott's T&Cs!)

Daily Breakfast for Platinum Elite and Above

Six categories:

1. Breakfast for member + 1 in the lounge. If the hotel does not have a lounge or the lounge is closed, member can choose 750 points OR continental breakfast for member + 1 in the restaurant. A limited number of hotels provide 1,000 points each day the lounge is closed instead of a choice (Through June 30, 2024). Any of these benefits are in addition to the Platinum Elite welcome gift.

— Autograph Collection (excluding resorts)
— Courtyard (properties with a lounge only; Asia, Australia, Pacific Islands, Caribbean, Mexico, Central America, South America, the Middle East, and Africa only)
— Delta* (excluding resorts)
— JW Marriott (excluding resorts)
— Marriott (excluding resorts)
— Renaissance (excluding resorts)
* many Delta properties provide breakfast from an Elite Pantry as an alternative to a Signature Lounge, in which case the hotel does not need to provide breakfast for member + 1 the restaurant.

2. Breakfast in the hotel restaurant for member + 1 as a Platinum Elite welcome gift option (not in addition to it).

— Aloft
— Autograph Collection (resorts only)
— Delta (resorts only)
— Four Points
— The Luxury Collection
— JW Marriott (resorts only)
— Le Méridien
— Marriott (resorts only)
— Protea
— Renaissance (resorts only)
— St. Regis
— Sheraton **
— Tribute Portfolio
— W Hotels
— Westin **
** Marriott Vacation Club, Sheraton Vacation Club, and Westin Vacation Club properties are not Marriott, Sheraton, and Westin hotels/resorts.

3. Breakfast in lounge for member + 1, if the hotel has a lounge. This is in addition to the Platinum Elite welcome gift, which could be breakfast for member + 1 in the restaurant. No alternative benefit if the lounge is closed.

— Le Méridien (only at locations with a lounge)
— Sheraton (only at locations with a lounge)
— Westin (only at locations with a lounge)

4. Daily U.S. $10 F&B credit for member + 1 as a Platinum Elite welcome gift option (not in addition to it). Can be applied toward breakfast or toward other F&B purchase in the hotel restaurant or bar. Does not accrue over multiple-night stay.

— AC Hotels
— Courtyard (locations without a lounge only, which means most locations)
— MOXY ***
*** some MOXY property are more generous, providing full breakfasts to those who apply their F&B credits toward breakfast, with no additional charge

5. Breakfast for all guests included in room rate, regardless of status or membership

— Element ****
— Fairfield (except Fairfield Asia Pacific hotels) ****
— Residence Inn (NO breakfast at Residence Inn New Orleans French Quarter/CBD)
— SpringHill Suites
— TownePlace Suites
**** very few exceptions; check official hotel website

6. No complimentary daily breakfast, even for Platinum Elite and Above

— Design Hotels
— Edition
— Fairfield Asia Pacific hotels
— Gaylord Hotels
— Marriott Executive Apartments
— Marriott Vacation Club / MVC Pulse / Grand Residences by Marriott
— The Ritz-Carlton / Ritz-Carlton Reserve / Ritz-Carlton Residence Club
— Vistana / Sheraton Vacation Club / Westin Vacation Club

Note: This list does not identify specific properties that deviate from the published benefits. In some cases, exceptions are identified in the Marriott Bonvoy Loyalty Program Terms & Conditions or on specific property webpages. Exceptions are few, but can be an unpleasant or pleasant surprise, depending on whether the property provides less or more than the published benefits.Through June 30, 2024, the following properties in the United States do not provide free continental breakfast in the hotel restaurant in the event the Lounge is closed but do offer 1,000 Points in lieu of breakfast. These properties include:

• The Algonquin Hotel Times Square, Autograph Collection

• Boston Marriott Copley Place

• Boston Marriott Long Wharf

• Chicago Marriott Downtown Magnificent Mile

• JW Marriott Essex House New York City

• JW Marriott New Orleans

• JW Marriott San Francisco Union Square

• JW Marriott Washington, DC

• The Lexington Hotel, Autograph Collection

• Monterey Marriott

• New York Marriott Marquis®

• Philadelphia Marriott Downtown

• Renaissance Boston Waterfront Hotel

• Renaissance Chicago Downtown Hotel

• Renaissance Los Angeles Airport Hotel

• Renaissance New York Midtown Hotel

• Renaissance New York Times Square Hotel

• Marriott Marquis San Diego Marina

Print Wikipost

FAQ : Marriott's "breakfast offering" explained, by brand and by Bonvoy elite level

Search this Thread

Old Sep 5, 2022, 9:44 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: AS 75K; UA 1MM; Hyatt Globalist; Marriott LTP; Hilton Diamond (Aspire)
Originally Posted by Muerz
Isn‘t this a clear violation of the Titanium Welcome Gift at a Westin hotel?
Grab & Go or 10$ off buffet breakfast - restaurant is open.
I'd say so, but since Marriott (unlike Hyatt) doesn't define what's included with "breakfast in restaurant" there's a fair bit of gray area with respect these sorts of practices. This is more aggressive than the typical "continental only" approach, which does put it on the "violation" side of the line IMO.

If you're up for the battle, you could request the $100 compensation for breach of the benefits guaranty.
Old Sep 5, 2022, 10:20 am

Programs: AAdvantage Platinum, United Silver, Marriott Titanium Elite
Originally Posted by Muerz
Is

Isn‘t this a clear violation of the Titanium Welcome Gift at a Westin hotel?
Grab & Go or 10$ off buffet breakfast - restaurant is open.
That's clearly a failure. This Westin owes you $100. And you should still get breakfast too.

At St. Regis, The Luxury Collection, W Hotels, Sheraton, Le Méridien, Westin, and Tribute Portfolio (including Resorts), the "Elite Welcome Gift For Platinum Elite Members and Above" is the elite guest's choice of:

— 1,000 Points per Stay
— or amenity per Stay
— or breakfast in restaurant per night of Stay for Member +1

The Guest Compensation for a failure to provide is USD$100 or equivalent in local currency.

The Terms & Conditions do not define what's included in "breakfast in restaurant" at a Westin. A reasonable interpretation would be that “breakfast in restaurant” would mean just that — daily breakfast commensurate with the quality of the hotel and what other guests are getting. It would include tax and tip, as is customary in such circumstances (although the elite guest could leave an additional tip for exceptional sevice).

Not a discount voucher.

Not "Grab & Go."

Not a daily USD$10 F&B credit for Member +1 (as at Courtyard, Moxy, and AC Hotels).

Not a "continental breakfast" pastry basket as your only fully covered option.

Not a "cold items only" buffet breakfast as your only fully covered option.

Breakfast of your choosing as an elite guest, including tax and tip!

Unlike five Marriott legacy brands, where breakfast at non-resort properties is a function of Guaranteed Lounge Access, that's not the case at Westin.

Please name and shame the hotel.
Old Sep 5, 2022, 10:34 am

Programs: AS 75K; UA 1MM; Hyatt Globalist; Marriott LTP; Hilton Diamond (Aspire)
Originally Posted by Horace
The Terms & Conditions do not define what's included in "breakfast in restaurant" at a Westin. A reasonable interpretation would be that “breakfast in restaurant” would mean just that — daily breakfast commensurate with the quality of the hotel and what other guests are getting. It would include tax and tip, as is customary in such circumstances (although the elite guest could leave an additional tip for exceptional sevice).

Not a discount voucher.

Not "Grab & Go."

Not a daily USD$10 F&B credit for Member +1 (as at Courtyard, Moxy, and AC Hotels).

Not a "continental breakfast" pastry basket as your only fully covered option.

Not a "cold items only" buffet breakfast as your only fully covered option.

Breakfast of your choosing as an elite guest, including tax and tip!
I personally agree with you but this battle has already been lost. They could offer a "continental buffet" and Marriott would deem it compliant. But I don't believe a $10 credit is compliant (as even Wailea Beach Resort now admits, and will pay the $100 if a guest complains hard enough).
Old Sep 5, 2022, 11:44 am

Originally Posted by Kacee
I personally agree with you but this battle has already been lost. They could offer a "continental buffet" and Marriott would deem it compliant. But I don't believe a $10 credit is compliant (as even Wailea Beach Resort now admits, and will pay the $100 if a guest complains hard enough).
I think we agree that Muerz has a legitimate complaint.

The Marriott Bonvoy Loyalty Program Terms & Conditions clearly differentiate between daily continental breakfast in the restaurant and daily breakfast in the restaurant.

The following rules are for five Marriott legacy brands (but not resorts of those brands) in connection with Guaranteed Lounge Access (bolding added by me):

"In the United States and Canada: When a Participating Property's Lounge is closed, or property does not have a Lounge or approved alternative, the property will offer a daily continental breakfast in the restaurant for the Member plus one (1) guest, or Member can choose 750 Points per night of Stay. In Europe: Participating Properties without a Lounge or approved alternative offer daily breakfast in restaurant for Member plus one (1) guest, or Member can choose 750 Points per night of Stay."

In short, daily continental breakfast in the restaurant and daily breakfast in the restaurant are two distinctly different things in the Terms & Conditions.

At most SPG legacy brands and resorts of five Marriott Rewards legacy brands, one of the Welcome Gift choices for Platinum Elite and above is daily breakfast in the restaurant -- not continental breakfast.

All Marriott Bonvoy hotels benefit when all of them take proper care of elite guests. Most Marriott Bonvoy properties do so. Many make a real effort with upgraded rooms, good breakfasts, and other recognition. It's good business.

I am baffled why Marriott International allows a small percentage of hotels to flagrantly violate the Terms & Conditions, with no consequences and no changes. The property saves a few dollars, while hurting over 8000 hotel properties globally by effectively telling elite guests that they don't matter and might as well take their business elsewhere.
SPN Lifer, Tanic and Kacee like this.

Last edited by Horace; Sep 5, 2022 at 11:51 am
Old Sep 5, 2022, 7:45 pm

Breakfast at South American Properties

I am Titanium and staying at a Marriott in South America where the lounge is closed. Seeing only details for lounge closures in US, Canada, and Europe. Do I still receive complementary breakfast in the restaurant?

Been a mix of information at the hotel and no one seems to know. I've had breakfast comped zero times out of two and dinner comped once out of two. No idea how dinner was comped, but each time they had a printout of rooms with names and status, so it is clear I'm listed as Titanium. I did receive the welcome gift and a nice upgrade.
Old Sep 5, 2022, 8:01 pm

Breakfast was listed at hotel when we booked free of charge during peak COVID. Now there’s a charge associated with it. What’s the chance that the hotel will grant it for free? Hotel is in South Africa.
Old Sep 5, 2022, 10:18 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K, AC MM E75, Marriott LT Ti, IHG Dia Amb, Hyatt Glob
Originally Posted by lovefly88
Breakfast was listed at hotel when we booked free of charge during peak COVID. Now there’s a charge associated with it. What’s the chance that the hotel will grant it for free? Hotel is in South Africa.
I just stayed at Westin CPT and Protea Stellenbosch. At the Westin, full breakfast was offered in the lounge and restaurant. Protea has no lounge but full breakfast was offered in restaurant.
Old Sep 6, 2022, 1:56 am

Originally Posted by margarita girl
I just stayed at Westin CPT and Protea Stellenbosch. At the Westin, full breakfast was offered in the lounge and restaurant. Protea has no lounge but full breakfast was offered in restaurant.
ours is for the AC Hotel. Under amenities when hotel was booked was 100% listed as breakfast complimentary same as the Westin is. In fact that’s one of the reasons went with AC but now says there is a charge. Unfortunately I didn’t screenshot it as I didn’t think it would change. Very likely they’ll honor it for free?
Old Sep 6, 2022, 8:24 am

ours is for the AC Hotel. Under amenities when hotel was booked was 100% listed as breakfast complimentary same as the Westin is. In fact that’s one of the reasons went with AC but now says there is a charge. Unfortunately I didn’t screenshot it as I didn’t think it would change. Very likely they’ll honor it for free?
Back on May 5, 2022, the official webpage for the AC Hotel Cape Town Waterfront showed "Free Grab n go Breakfast" and "Free Coffee/Tea." You can still see it on the Internet Archive:

https://web.archive.org/web/20220505...ront/overview/

Today, the official webpage still has "Free Coffee/Tea," but not "Free Grab n go Breakfast."

You could print or screen-capture the archived list of amenities, being it, and ask for it to be honored. It would be a legitimate request because it was clearly offered at the time of your time booking.

Marriott Bonvoy breakfast benefits for Platinum Elite and above are primarily based on brand. Westin and Protea have daily breakfast for Member +1 as a welcome gift choice for Platinum Elite and above. The AC Hotels brand does not.

In the published elite benefits for AC Hotels, one of the welcome gift choices for Platinum Elite and above is daily USD$10 F&B credit for Member +1, to be used daily (because it does not accrue across multiple days). It's the same as for Courtyard and Moxy.

Anyone making reservations now should only expect the published benefit -- and should be delighted if the hotel provides something better.
Old Sep 6, 2022, 8:26 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

I suggest you contact them and ask. Explain the reason you chose that hotel was for the free breakfast.

I walked over to AC with my friends and it seemed very nice. We met front desk mgr and she gave her card to my friend. Let me check if he still has it.
Old Sep 6, 2022, 8:59 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

My friend doesn’t have the business card but he is pretty certain that breakfast is included at the AC.
Old Sep 6, 2022, 8:48 pm

Originally Posted by margarita girl
My friend doesn’t have the business card but he is pretty certain that breakfast is included at the AC.
thanks for two helps in one day, from the other thread too
margarita girl likes this.
Old Sep 6, 2022, 8:52 pm

Originally Posted by Horace
Back on May 5, 2022, the official webpage for the AC Hotel Cape Town Waterfront showed "Free Grab n go Breakfast" and "Free Coffee/Tea." You can still see it on the Internet Archive:

https://web.archive.org/web/20220505...ront/overview/

Today, the official webpage still has "Free Coffee/Tea," but not "Free Grab n go Breakfast."

You could print or screen-capture the archived list of amenities, being it, and ask for it to be honored. It would be a legitimate request because it was clearly offered at the time of your time booking.

Marriott Bonvoy breakfast benefits for Platinum Elite and above are primarily based on brand. Westin and Protea have daily breakfast for Member +1 as a welcome gift choice for Platinum Elite and above. The AC Hotels brand does not.

In the published elite benefits for AC Hotels, one of the welcome gift choices for Platinum Elite and above is daily USD$10 F&B credit for Member +1, to be used daily (because it does not accrue across multiple days). It's the same as for Courtyard and Moxy.

Anyone making reservations now should only expect the published benefit -- and should be delighted if the hotel provides something better.
1st picture is screenshot of Westin which was similar to AC breakfast offering but if could get free breakfast for 20k Vs 40k why not.

2nd picture is currently on AC which is notably changed from when my booking was made on 4/17/22 (before the hotel even reopened)

Marriottlurker could this be looked into please if the AC hotel will honor free breakfast as it was offered when I booked the hotel? Thank you in advance.
Marriott Bonvoy Lurker

Last edited by lovefly88; Sep 8, 2022 at 8:24 pm
Old Sep 7, 2022, 9:46 pm

Marriottlurker could this be looked into please if the AC hotel will honor free breakfast as it was offered when I booked the hotel? Thank you in advance.
What did the hotel say when you called and asked them?
Old Sep 8, 2022, 6:57 pm

Originally Posted by Kacee
What did the hotel say when you called and asked them?
As it would be an international call, I haven’t done this yet.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.