Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Hotels and Places to Stay > Marriott | Marriott Bonvoy
Reload this Page >

FAQ : Marriott's "breakfast offering" explained, by brand and by Bonvoy elite level

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Aug 24, 2018, 10:27 am
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: PTahCha
Huge thanks to Horace for this list (which is much simpler to understand than Marriott's T&Cs!)

Daily Breakfast for Platinum Elite and Above

Six categories:

1. Breakfast for member + 1 in the lounge. If the hotel does not have a lounge or the lounge is closed, member can choose 750 points OR continental breakfast for member + 1 in the restaurant. A limited number of hotels provide 1,000 points each day the lounge is closed instead of a choice (Through June 30, 2024). Any of these benefits are in addition to the Platinum Elite welcome gift.

— Autograph Collection (excluding resorts)
— Courtyard (properties with a lounge only; Asia, Australia, Pacific Islands, Caribbean, Mexico, Central America, South America, the Middle East, and Africa only)
— Delta* (excluding resorts)
— JW Marriott (excluding resorts)
— Marriott (excluding resorts)
— Renaissance (excluding resorts)
* many Delta properties provide breakfast from an Elite Pantry as an alternative to a Signature Lounge, in which case the hotel does not need to provide breakfast for member + 1 the restaurant.

2. Breakfast in the hotel restaurant for member + 1 as a Platinum Elite welcome gift option (not in addition to it).

— Aloft
— Autograph Collection (resorts only)
— Delta (resorts only)
— Four Points
— The Luxury Collection
— JW Marriott (resorts only)
— Le Méridien
— Marriott (resorts only)
— Protea
— Renaissance (resorts only)
— St. Regis
— Sheraton **
— Tribute Portfolio
— W Hotels
— Westin **
** Marriott Vacation Club, Sheraton Vacation Club, and Westin Vacation Club properties are not Marriott, Sheraton, and Westin hotels/resorts.

3. Breakfast in lounge for member + 1, if the hotel has a lounge. This is in addition to the Platinum Elite welcome gift, which could be breakfast for member + 1 in the restaurant. No alternative benefit if the lounge is closed.

— Le Méridien (only at locations with a lounge)
— Sheraton (only at locations with a lounge)
— Westin (only at locations with a lounge)

4. Daily U.S. $10 F&B credit for member + 1 as a Platinum Elite welcome gift option (not in addition to it). Can be applied toward breakfast or toward other F&B purchase in the hotel restaurant or bar. Does not accrue over multiple-night stay.

— AC Hotels
— Courtyard (locations without a lounge only, which means most locations)
— MOXY ***
*** some MOXY property are more generous, providing full breakfasts to those who apply their F&B credits toward breakfast, with no additional charge

5. Breakfast for all guests included in room rate, regardless of status or membership

— Element ****
— Fairfield (except Fairfield Asia Pacific hotels) ****
— Residence Inn (NO breakfast at Residence Inn New Orleans French Quarter/CBD)
— SpringHill Suites
— TownePlace Suites
**** very few exceptions; check official hotel website

6. No complimentary daily breakfast, even for Platinum Elite and Above

— Design Hotels
— Edition
— Fairfield Asia Pacific hotels
— Gaylord Hotels
— Marriott Executive Apartments
— Marriott Vacation Club / MVC Pulse / Grand Residences by Marriott
— The Ritz-Carlton / Ritz-Carlton Reserve / Ritz-Carlton Residence Club
— Vistana / Sheraton Vacation Club / Westin Vacation Club

Note: This list does not identify specific properties that deviate from the published benefits. In some cases, exceptions are identified in the Marriott Bonvoy Loyalty Program Terms & Conditions or on specific property webpages. Exceptions are few, but can be an unpleasant or pleasant surprise, depending on whether the property provides less or more than the published benefits.Through June 30, 2024, the following properties in the United States do not provide free continental breakfast in the hotel restaurant in the event the Lounge is closed but do offer 1,000 Points in lieu of breakfast. These properties include:

• The Algonquin Hotel Times Square, Autograph Collection

• Boston Marriott Copley Place

• Boston Marriott Long Wharf

• Chicago Marriott Downtown Magnificent Mile

• JW Marriott Essex House New York City

• JW Marriott New Orleans

• JW Marriott San Francisco Union Square

• JW Marriott Washington, DC

• The Lexington Hotel, Autograph Collection

• Monterey Marriott

• New York Marriott Marquis®

• Philadelphia Marriott Downtown

• Renaissance Boston Waterfront Hotel

• Renaissance Chicago Downtown Hotel

• Renaissance Los Angeles Airport Hotel

• Renaissance New York Midtown Hotel

• Renaissance New York Times Square Hotel

• Marriott Marquis San Diego Marina

Print Wikipost

FAQ : Marriott's "breakfast offering" explained, by brand and by Bonvoy elite level

Search this Thread

Old May 15, 2022, 11:19 pm

Programs: AC SE, AA EXP MM, UA Gold MM, Hyatt Glob, Marriott Titanium, HH Dia, IHG Plat
Originally Posted by sxpsxpsxp
Just returned from a 1-night stay at the Courtyard in Poughkeepsie NY. The check-in clerk tried to tell me that the breakfast benefit is $10 for the member, not the member + 1. They seemed to have some confusion about this, with one person at the front desk saying that it was for member + 1 and another saying that's not what they do "at this location" whatever that's supposed to mean. In the end I got the $20, but I just wanted to give people a heads up. Then when I went to use it, the person at the counter asked me for the voucher, and the front desk person told me it was on my account. But the person at the counter insisted I had to have a voucher. So he made me walk the 30 feet to the front desk, where they proceeded to yell at each other across the lobby area about this until they finally decided to issue me a paper voucher. It was a bit of an "are you kidding me?" experience.

Otherwise my stay was just fine and the staff were very nice.
This is totally par for the course. At the Courtyard in downtown Miami, I had to argue for a second voucher, since the second registered guest was checking in later. Even if she'd been present, they probably would have offered only one $10 cert. Then, because I was staying two nights, I had to explain that the benefit was per night. After a lot of discussion, they tore up the first certificate and issued four $10 certificates. However they were dated for the check-in night and the day afterwards...which could pose problems if you wanted to use them the following mornings for breakfast. But the check-in staff said that wouldn't be an issue.

When the time came to actually use them, for breakfast, I was told at the bistro that I couldn't combine them for $20 value per day. Instead, if items on each came to less than $10, I'd forfeit the remaining value. After I'd ordered, the attendant rushed the certificates over to the front desk for some sort of reconciliation.

Things were different at the Courtyard in Little Rock, AR, but still not quite seamless. I was initially offered a $10 cert for a one-night stay. When told there were two registered guests, I was issued with two certificates. The bistro attendant had no problem combining them to yield $20 value.

Both cases were better than my experience at the Paso Robles, CA Courtyard in spring of 2021. There, the bistro had recently reopened and was serving what the front desk attendant described as an abbreviated breakfast menu. Therefore, I was informed I'd instead be receiving 500 points for the entire stay, which is worth $3 to $4. I said the abbreviated menu would be just fine, since going off-site is a nuisance. The agent said no dice, and suggested a well-regarded neighborhood restaurant a few blocks away. After settling in to my room, I pursued the matter with the manager on duty, asking for Marriott's official compensation of $50 for violation of terms. But I said 10,000 points would be just fine as a substitute for the money (some places prefer to give points, which they can buy in bulk at a discount). The on-property manager said she couldn't authorize this compensation in the absence of the GM, who was off-site. But surprise surprise, within 5 minutes the GM called my room and offered 20K points....OK, maybe this ended up being the most profitable outcome, but I hate the inconsistency...
SPN Lifer likes this.
Old May 16, 2022, 7:22 am

Programs: AA EXP 1MM, DL PM, Bonvoy Titanium (Plat Life), HH G, Amtrak, B6, MR
Originally Posted by Explore
But surprise surprise, within 5 minutes the GM called my room and offered 20K points....OK, maybe this ended up being the most profitable outcome, but I hate the inconsistency...
So the moral of the story for the Lurkers, if they're paying attention to this thread, is that while we do enjoy the various compensation offers we can sometimes get out of all of this, we would be much happier with just the published benefits offered without having to argue about them.
Old May 24, 2022, 10:57 am

Programs: Latam Pass Black; UA 1K, 1MM; Marriott LT
Appreciate any thoughts on the following:

Checked into the LAX Four Points last night. Was told there was no breakfast because the restaurant is closed, and since the in-house coffee shop is run by a third party, no credit there. Upshot being points are offered only.

Emailed Ambassador service and the non-helpful response was to try and resolve before I checked out.
Old May 25, 2022, 1:43 pm

Programs: WN F9 HA UA AA IHG HH MR
Originally Posted by LimeyFlyer
Appreciate any thoughts on the following: Checked into the LAX Four Points last night. Was told there was no breakfast because the restaurant is closed, and since the in-house coffee shop is run by a third party, no credit there. Upshot being points are offered only. Emailed Ambassador service and the non-helpful response was to try and resolve before I checked out.
Sure. The hotel's own Covid Page says that food is available from 6am-1pm No mention of "third party." You obviously were expecting food as a welcome amenity based on the hotel's published information. Not your fault that they can't hire anyone to staff the place or put correct information on their website. Claim $50 Elite Welcome Gift Compensation before checkout. Bet they fix the website the next day.

Oh yeah, they also "live by the golden rule." Right there on their website.
Kacee and TheDenverGuy like this.
Old May 29, 2022, 3:44 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: AS 75K; UA 1MM; Hyatt Globalist; Marriott LTP; Hilton Diamond (Aspire)
Emailed Ambassador service and the non-helpful response was to try and resolve before I checked out.
Helpful in the limited sense that you're not eligible for the guarantee comp if you don't ask prior to check-out.

But unwillingness of so-called "Ambassador Service" to intervene directly, which has become the norm, is certainly disappointing.
SPN Lifer and Horace like this.
Old Jun 3, 2022, 1:00 pm

Appreciate any thoughts on the following:

Checked into the LAX Four Points last night. Was told there was no breakfast because the restaurant is closed, and since the in-house coffee shop is run by a third party, no credit there. Upshot being points are offered only.

Update for anyone who cares -

Several emails back and forth to Ambassador (the hotel was supposed to respond to me within 5 business days but did not.). They are sticking by the fact that first they said that they were unable to provide breakfast. Incorrect as I pointed out I got the breakfast sandwich and orange juice in the hotel 10 feet from reception, and then because it was "third party".

As many will know there are frequent instances of credits or vouchers being given to the coffee shop type of place in the lobby instead of a restaurant or lounge breakfast if those locations are closed.

I also pointed out the several places on the hotel website where breakfast was being advertised.

And to add insult to injury, when I was ordering my sandwich and OJ, others were there saying they had credits at the coffee shop.

I reached out again through Marriott Bonvoy Insiders on FB, telling them I had no joy from the Ambassador emails, and I'll give you a penny if you can guess what they said they had done... yep, they said they had reached out the Ambassador group and I should expect a reply within 5 business days.

As I pointed out to the Ambassador group and the MBI on FB... all of this over an egg sandwich and OJ. Waste of everyone's time.

And, yes, I could easily drop it, but it ticks me off.

So, back to waiting :-)
Old Jun 3, 2022, 6:13 pm

Programs: AC SE, AA EXP MM, UA Gold MM, Hyatt Glob, Marriott Titanium, HH Dia, IHG Plat
Update for anyone who cares -

Several emails back and forth to Ambassador (the hotel was supposed to respond to me within 5 business days but did not.). They are sticking by the fact that first they said that they were unable to provide breakfast. Incorrect as I pointed out I got the breakfast sandwich and orange juice in the hotel 10 feet from reception, and then because it was "third party".

As many will know there are frequent instances of credits or vouchers being given to the coffee shop type of place in the lobby instead of a restaurant or lounge breakfast if those locations are closed.

I also pointed out the several places on the hotel website where breakfast was being advertised.

And to add insult to injury, when I was ordering my sandwich and OJ, others were there saying they had credits at the coffee shop.

I reached out again through Marriott Bonvoy Insiders on FB, telling them I had no joy from the Ambassador emails, and I'll give you a penny if you can guess what they said they had done... yep, they said they had reached out the Ambassador group and I should expect a reply within 5 business days.

As I pointed out to the Ambassador group and the MBI on FB... all of this over an egg sandwich and OJ. Waste of everyone's time.

And, yes, I could easily drop it, but it ticks me off.

So, back to waiting :-)
Note this hotel is rated 2.9 out of 5 on Marriott’s own website…the lowest I’ve seen.
SPN Lifer likes this.
Old Jun 4, 2022, 3:52 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K, AC MM E75, Marriott LT Ti, IHG Dia Amb, Hyatt Glob
Originally Posted by Explore
Note this hotel is rated 2.9 out of 5 on Marriott’s own website…the lowest I’ve seen.
If I’m not mistaken, this hotel used to get excellent reviews when the manager was Phil under SPG. (Can’t remember his last name but I think he went to Westin next, and I don’t know what happened to him after that.j
Old Jun 7, 2022, 10:17 am

Aloft Chicago River North. Titanium "breakfast" benefit for member + 1 is $10 each for onsite restaurant. A laughable attempt by management to fulfill their contractual obligation to the Marriott T&Cs. It's Chicago; the orange juice is $5.95. Marriott's Twitter team: "We have shared your concerns with the management team, and they will follow up on this directly with you."
Doubtful.
Old Jun 8, 2022, 3:39 am

Programs: Marriott AMB, Skywards Gold
Originally Posted by margarita girl
If I’m not mistaken, this hotel used to get excellent reviews when the manager was Phil under SPG. (Can’t remember his last name but I think he went to Westin next, and I don’t know what happened to him after that.j
Phil Baxter Was great back then. Met him a couple of times and the FP+Westin was always my place to stay when I'm flying out/in of LAX.

Found this article about him and his wife opening up a business. Happy that things are going well for him.

https://togo.hotelbusiness.com/artic...e-on-cape-cod/
SPN Lifer and margarita girl like this.
Old Jun 15, 2022, 10:39 pm

Grotta Giusti Autograph Collection, Italy

Hi, anyone know for sure if there is a free breakfast offering for Platinum member?
Thank you
Old Jun 16, 2022, 8:19 am

I feel like such a dumb you know what and don't know where to turn to resolve this...

Courtyard LAX Hawthorne. Ambassador member. On check in welcome gift points or $10 f&b credit. It's essentially on my dime so I take F&B credit. I ask about breakfast amenity, and am told that's what the f&b credit is for. I say that I thought there were two separate things - welcome amenity then breakfast, and was told no. (Can you imagine a 5 day stay and you get 1 x $10 credit that doesn't cover anything for breakfast plus an OJ?)

Can anyone definitively tell me and provide support, that there should be breakfast, or in lieu of breakfast another paultry offering of daily points?

To kick me in the backside, I had a chicken quesadilla and glass of wine for dinner, that came to $31 inc tip (!) and they never credited the $10 credit. I asked the desk to do it at checkout and the lady said she saw no evidence I had a credit, and questioned me as to why I did not tell the bar when I ordered.

Beaten down, I just asked her to check with a manager as I was leaving, otherwise I can just deal with the credit card company.

I guarantee it doesn't get taken care of.

I'm not a litigious person being from the other side of the pond, but come on. (As a side note, anyone curious as to why for example Uber charges you the full tolls on the GW bridge for example, yet drivers have EZ Pass... wonder where the difference goes? Fuel surcharge on EVs?)
Old Jun 16, 2022, 10:50 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: AS 75K; UA 1MM; Hyatt Globalist; Marriott LTP; Hilton Diamond (Aspire)
I feel like such a dumb you know what and don't know where to turn to resolve this...

Courtyard LAX Hawthorne. Ambassador member. On check in welcome gift points or $10 f&b credit. It's essentially on my dime so I take F&B credit. I ask about breakfast amenity, and am told that's what the f&b credit is for. I say that I thought there were two separate things - welcome amenity then breakfast, and was told no. (Can you imagine a 5 day stay and you get 1 x $10 credit that doesn't cover anything for breakfast plus an OJ?)

Can anyone definitively tell me and provide support, that there should be breakfast, or in lieu of breakfast another paultry offering of daily points?
There is no breakfast benefit at Courtyards. Per Bonvoy T&C, the welcome gift is choice between 500 points or $10 F&B credit per night for guest +1:
United States, Canada, Europe: 500 Points per Stay or U.S. $10 F&B credit per night of Stay for Member +1**
If they fail to provide what's guaranteed, you're entitled to $50 for breach of the benefits guaranty. You have to demand the payment while you're on property.
Tanic likes this.
Old Jun 16, 2022, 11:50 pm

Programs: WN F9 HA UA AA IHG HH MR
Courtyard LAX Hawthorne. Ambassador member. On check in welcome gift points or $10 f&b credit. It's essentially on my dime so I take F&B credit. ...they never credited the $10 credit. I asked the desk to do it at checkout and the lady said she saw no evidence I had a credit, and questioned me as to why I did not tell the bar when I ordered.
Most CY FDs hand elite guests 1 or 2 $10 coupons per night at check in, which in turn is surrendered at the restaurant. Other CYs auto-deduct the $10/20 from the daily restaurant bill. Sounds like this property did neither. Did you claim Guest Compensation before leaving?
Old Jun 19, 2022, 9:05 am

(As a side note, anyone curious as to why for example Uber charges you the full tolls on the GW bridge for example, yet drivers have EZ Pass... wonder where the difference goes? Fuel surcharge on EVs?)
what? Uber charges you for the toll, and then uses money that to... pay the toll. The EZ pass doesn't let the driver go through the toll with zero payment.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.