Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Hotels and Places to Stay > Marriott | Marriott Bonvoy
Reload this Page >

FAQ : Marriott's "breakfast offering" explained, by brand and by Bonvoy elite level

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Aug 24, 2018, 10:27 am
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: PTahCha
Huge thanks to Horace for this list (which is much simpler to understand than Marriott's T&Cs!)

Daily Breakfast for Platinum Elite and Above

Six categories:

1. Breakfast for member + 1 in the lounge. If the hotel does not have a lounge or the lounge is closed, member can choose 750 points OR continental breakfast for member + 1 in the restaurant. A limited number of hotels provide 1,000 points each day the lounge is closed instead of a choice (Through June 30, 2024). Any of these benefits are in addition to the Platinum Elite welcome gift.

— Autograph Collection (excluding resorts)
— Courtyard (properties with a lounge only; Asia, Australia, Pacific Islands, Caribbean, Mexico, Central America, South America, the Middle East, and Africa only)
— Delta* (excluding resorts)
— JW Marriott (excluding resorts)
— Marriott (excluding resorts)
— Renaissance (excluding resorts)
* many Delta properties provide breakfast from an Elite Pantry as an alternative to a Signature Lounge, in which case the hotel does not need to provide breakfast for member + 1 the restaurant.

2. Breakfast in the hotel restaurant for member + 1 as a Platinum Elite welcome gift option (not in addition to it).

— Aloft
— Autograph Collection (resorts only)
— Delta (resorts only)
— Four Points
— The Luxury Collection
— JW Marriott (resorts only)
— Le Méridien
— Marriott (resorts only)
— Protea
— Renaissance (resorts only)
— St. Regis
— Sheraton **
— Tribute Portfolio
— W Hotels
— Westin **
** Marriott Vacation Club, Sheraton Vacation Club, and Westin Vacation Club properties are not Marriott, Sheraton, and Westin hotels/resorts.

3. Breakfast in lounge for member + 1, if the hotel has a lounge. This is in addition to the Platinum Elite welcome gift, which could be breakfast for member + 1 in the restaurant. No alternative benefit if the lounge is closed.

— Le Méridien (only at locations with a lounge)
— Sheraton (only at locations with a lounge)
— Westin (only at locations with a lounge)

4. Daily U.S. $10 F&B credit for member + 1 as a Platinum Elite welcome gift option (not in addition to it). Can be applied toward breakfast or toward other F&B purchase in the hotel restaurant or bar. Does not accrue over multiple-night stay.

— AC Hotels
— Courtyard (locations without a lounge only, which means most locations)
— MOXY ***
*** some MOXY property are more generous, providing full breakfasts to those who apply their F&B credits toward breakfast, with no additional charge

5. Breakfast for all guests included in room rate, regardless of status or membership

— Element ****
— Fairfield (except Fairfield Asia Pacific hotels) ****
— Residence Inn (NO breakfast at Residence Inn New Orleans French Quarter/CBD)
— SpringHill Suites
— TownePlace Suites
**** very few exceptions; check official hotel website

6. No complimentary daily breakfast, even for Platinum Elite and Above

— Design Hotels
— Edition
— Fairfield Asia Pacific hotels
— Gaylord Hotels
— Marriott Executive Apartments
— Marriott Vacation Club / MVC Pulse / Grand Residences by Marriott
— The Ritz-Carlton / Ritz-Carlton Reserve / Ritz-Carlton Residence Club
— Vistana / Sheraton Vacation Club / Westin Vacation Club

Note: This list does not identify specific properties that deviate from the published benefits. In some cases, exceptions are identified in the Marriott Bonvoy Loyalty Program Terms & Conditions or on specific property webpages. Exceptions are few, but can be an unpleasant or pleasant surprise, depending on whether the property provides less or more than the published benefits.Through June 30, 2024, the following properties in the United States do not provide free continental breakfast in the hotel restaurant in the event the Lounge is closed but do offer 1,000 Points in lieu of breakfast. These properties include:

• The Algonquin Hotel Times Square, Autograph Collection

• Boston Marriott Copley Place

• Boston Marriott Long Wharf

• Chicago Marriott Downtown Magnificent Mile

• JW Marriott Essex House New York City

• JW Marriott New Orleans

• JW Marriott San Francisco Union Square

• JW Marriott Washington, DC

• The Lexington Hotel, Autograph Collection

• Monterey Marriott

• New York Marriott Marquis®

• Philadelphia Marriott Downtown

• Renaissance Boston Waterfront Hotel

• Renaissance Chicago Downtown Hotel

• Renaissance Los Angeles Airport Hotel

• Renaissance New York Midtown Hotel

• Renaissance New York Times Square Hotel

• Marriott Marquis San Diego Marina

Print Wikipost

FAQ : Marriott's "breakfast offering" explained, by brand and by Bonvoy elite level

Search this Thread

Old Jan 19, 2022, 12:46 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K, AC MM E75, Marriott LT Ti, IHG Dia Amb, Hyatt Glob
Unfortunately, it seems that Marriott is allowing the hotels to determine what constitutes an Elite breakfast. I don’t see any way to escalate this further.

Per the Lurkers “It will depend on the hotel to arrange the breakfast.”
Finkface likes this.
Old Jan 19, 2022, 4:18 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Location: Saipan, MP 96950 USA (Commonwealth of the Northern Mariana Islands = the CNMI)
Programs: UA Silver, Hilton Silver. Life: UA .57 MM, United & Admirals Clubs (spousal), Marriott Platinum
Is it too late to do a chargeback with your credit card? It would appear the hotel has breached its terms and conditions, and you have already reached out to the vendor as required by most banks.

You did NOT get what you paid for! Maybe that will get the attention of the property.
dgreen12 likes this.
Old Jan 21, 2022, 5:36 am

Programs: Bonvoy Platinum, IHG Diamond, Hyatt Discoverist
Originally Posted by 1mileman
courtyards do not have a breakfast amenity. It is simply a $10 per guest per room voucher which can be used for any f and b outlet or pantry if you select that instead of the welcome points. I think there was a miscommunication or the corporate agent was confused on the email you sent.
Courtyards in Japan do offer a very nice breakfast for Platinum and above.
As does the Four Points.
Ironically, Fairfield in Japan does not offer free breakfast to elites (or anyone). When we found out we changed our reservation and selected a rate that included breakfast. I think it cost us an extra ¥1,000 per person then. It was decent, with some hot food, but not a huge buffet. Checking now it seems they charge about ¥1,800 per person for breakfast ($15).

Last edited by JapanFlyerT; Jan 21, 2022 at 5:46 am
Old Jan 24, 2022, 12:35 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: United 1K and 1MM, Marriott Ambassador
If I book two rooms (identical dates) and I pay for both rooms, I will get points for both, even though I only stay at one room.

Do I get free breakfast for BOTH rooms?
Old Jan 24, 2022, 1:15 pm

Programs: AAdvantage Platinum, United Silver, Marriott Titanium Elite
Originally Posted by kb1992
If I book two rooms (identical dates) and I pay for both rooms, I will get points for both, even though I only stay at one room.

Do I get free breakfast for BOTH rooms?
You earn Marriott Bonvoy points for up to three rooms on a qualifying stay. You only earn elite nights for the room you stay in. For breakfast, it depends on the brand and the Marriott Bonvoy member's status.

For example:
— at Fairfield Inn, you get free breakfast for both rooms, regardless of Marriott Bonvoy membership or status;
— at Gaylord, you don't breakfast for either room, regardless of Marriott Bonvoy membership or status;
— at Westin, Platinum Elite and above can choose daily restaurant breakfast for the member plus another guest staying in the same room as a Welcome Gift, but the Welcome Gift is only for one room.

Please take a look at the wiki at the top of this thread for an overview of breakfast benefits for Platinum Elite and higher.
Old Jan 24, 2022, 3:40 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by Horace
You earn Marriott Bonvoy points for up to three rooms on a qualifying stay. You only earn elite nights for the room you stay in. For breakfast, it depends on the brand and the Marriott Bonvoy member's status.

For example:
— at Fairfield Inn, you get free breakfast for both rooms, regardless of Marriott Bonvoy membership or status;
— at Gaylord, you don't breakfast for either room, regardless of Marriott Bonvoy membership or status;
— at Westin, Platinum Elite and above can choose daily restaurant breakfast for the member plus another guest staying in the same room as a Welcome Gift, but the Welcome Gift is only for one room.

Please take a look at the wiki at the top of this thread for an overview of breakfast benefits for Platinum Elite and higher.
Thank you.

It's JW Marriott Resort, and I booked 2 rooms as an Ambassador. There is no lounge.

I can't find in the wiki if the second room gets breakfast. I know I get points for both rooms but elite nights for one.
Old Jan 24, 2022, 5:28 pm

Thank you.

It's JW Marriott Resort, and I booked 2 rooms as an Ambassador. There is no lounge.

I can't find in the wiki if the second room gets breakfast. I know I get points for both rooms but elite nights for one.
At JW Marriott Resorts (but not at JW Marriott Hotels), a Welcome Gift choice for Platinum Elite and above is “breakfast in restaurant per night of Stay for Member +1.” If you pick it, you don’t also get 1000 points or anything else.

Just as at many Starwood legacy brands (such as Westin) and for resorts of four other Marriott legacy brands, it’s for “Member +1” -- not for everyone in the member’s party or for every room booked by the member.

Please note that it’s not just a continental breakfast, and it’s also not a voucher that only pays for part of the breakfast bill. At JW Marriott, it’s reasonable to expect a very nice breakfast, given that Marriott positions JW Marriott as a luxury brand.

Go to the Marriott Bonvoy Loyalty Program Terms & Conditions and scroll down to the table labeled “ELITE WELCOME GIFT FOR PLATINUM ELITE MEMBERS AND ABOVE.”

Properties can provide more than what the Terms & Conditions call for, either because a guest asks nicely or because the property considers it good business to treat elite guests well. But only count on breakfast for yourself and one other guest in your room, and only for the room you’re personally staying in.
Old Jan 24, 2022, 11:55 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

At JW Marriott Resorts (but not at JW Marriott Hotels), a Welcome Gift choice for Platinum Elite and above is “breakfast in restaurant per night of Stay for Member +1.” If you pick it, you don’t also get 1000 points or anything else.

Just as at many Starwood legacy brands (such as Westin) and for resorts of four other Marriott legacy brands, it’s for “Member +1” -- not for everyone in the member’s party or for every room booked by the member.

Please note that it’s not just a continental breakfast, and it’s also not a voucher that only pays for part of the breakfast bill. At JW Marriott, it’s reasonable to expect a very nice breakfast, given that Marriott positions JW Marriott as a luxury brand.

Go to the Marriott Bonvoy Loyalty Program Terms & Conditions and scroll down to the table labeled “ELITE WELCOME GIFT FOR PLATINUM ELITE MEMBERS AND ABOVE.”

Properties can provide more than what the Terms & Conditions call for, either because a guest asks nicely or because the property considers it good business to treat elite guests well. But only count on breakfast for yourself and one other guest in your room, and only for the room you’re personally staying in.
Thank you,

Just finished a vacation at the same Cancun JW Marriott Resort last week. Booked one room and redeemed SNA to get upgraded to a stunning ocean view grand suite (1340 Sq Ft).

https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/33894084-post418.html

https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/33913274-post425.html

Got continental breakfast which is so so. Full breakfast costs $25 extra per person.

Overall very nice experience. So we booked another stay next December at Cancun JW. This time I booked 2 rooms so my in-laws could join us. That's why I asked if it is possible to get breakfast for the second room. We will ask nicely when we check in :-)
Old Jan 25, 2022, 8:29 am

Thank you,

Just finished a vacation at the same Cancun JW Marriott Resort last week. Booked one room and redeemed SNA to get upgraded to a stunning ocean view grand suite (1340 Sq Ft).

https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/33894084-post418.html

https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/33913274-post425.html

Got continental breakfast which is so so. Full breakfast costs $25 extra per person.

Overall very nice experience. So we booked another stay next December at Cancun JW. This time I booked 2 rooms so my in-laws could join us. That's why I asked if it is possible to get breakfast for the second room. We will ask nicely when we check in :-)
I'm surprised and disappointed that the JW Marriott Cancun Resort & Spa would only provide a "so so" continental breakfast, not an excellent full breakfast, to members who are Platinum Elite and above. I'm appalled that full breakfast requires an additional $25 per person. How insulting!

At full-service Marriott Bonvoy brands that provide breakfast to Platinum Elite and above, two different benefits in the Terms & Conditions are involved:

At non-resort properties of five Marriott legacy brands, breakfast is a function of lounge access. A member who is Platinum Elite or above gets breakfast in the lounge. When there isn't a "lounge or approved alternative" or it's closed, the member can choose "daily continental breakfast in restaurant for Member +1."

At resort properties of those same five five Marriott legacy brands and at seven Starwood legacy brands, breakfast is a function of the Welcome Gift. A member who is Platinum Elite or above can choose “breakfast in restaurant per night of Stay for Member +1.”

JW Marriott resorts fall in the latter group.

Technically, continental breakfast is a type of breakfast. But the Terms & Conditions clearly differentiate between when a hotel is to provide "continental breakfast in restaurant" and when it is to provide "breakfast in restaurant." There's an intentional distinction between the two in the Terms & Conditions.

In my experience, hotels that are only required to provide continental breakfast usually provide full breakfast anyway.

The JW Marriott Cancun Resort & Spa is doing the opposite.
dgreen12, SPN Lifer and Tanic like this.
Old Jan 25, 2022, 11:45 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

I'm surprised and disappointed that the JW Marriott Cancun Resort & Spa would only provide a "so so" continental breakfast, not an excellent full breakfast, to members who are Platinum Elite and above. I'm appalled that full breakfast requires an additional $25 per person. How insulting!

Technically, continental breakfast is a type of breakfast. But the Terms & Conditions clearly differentiate between when a hotel is to provide "continental breakfast in restaurant" and when it is to provide "breakfast in restaurant." There's an intentional distinction between the two in the Terms & Conditions.

In my experience, hotels that are only required to provide continental breakfast usually provide full breakfast anyway.

The JW Marriott Cancun Resort & Spa is doing the opposite.
The breakfast looks like this.

Milk, coffee, juice, fruit, cereal, and some bread. That's it. But the view is very nice.

Full breakfast is nothing special either. We tried once and paid $25 each. It's not worth the money as we could buy lobster lunch for less.

The suite was stunning and we were successful redeeming SNA. Don't care too much about the breakfast.

JW Cancun has several Italian, Japanese and American restaurants on property with reasonable price (dinner for two costs $80 or so).

On top of that, COVID test is offered on site for $25 and we got results in 30 min. The manager gave us complimentary COVID tests because he said he likes me. I figure he likes my Ambassador status and my loyalty :-)

I had 311 EQN in 2021.
dgreen12 and hughjorgan like this.
Old Jan 27, 2022, 10:11 pm

Programs: WN F9 HA UA AA IHG HH MR
The breakfast looks like this.
HIX in México serves a far more substantial breakfast. Included in the room charge. Which is under USD100. Even if you have no status.

Shame on JW Marriott.
SPN Lifer likes this.
Old Jan 28, 2022, 5:41 pm

Breakfast @ AC

I confounded AC and Autograph Collection... nevermind... Now I'm slightly less annoyed ...

Last edited by genxer; Jan 28, 2022 at 8:12 pm
Old Jan 28, 2022, 7:00 pm

Programs: Alaska
Originally Posted by genxer
AC Hotel Tuscaloosa Downtown (Alabama) it's so disappointing "If lounge closed or hotel does not have a lounge, hotel to offer daily continental breakfast in restaurant for Member +1"
seems pretty straightforward. Seems pretty straightforward. The GM stated no one gets free breakfast. I thought Titaniums did.

The GM is right. No one get free breakfast. Read the wiki.

AC only get $10 credit for Platinum welcome choice gift.
Old Jan 28, 2022, 7:54 pm

I confounded AC and Autograph Collection... nevermind... Now I'm slightly less annoyed ...

Last edited by genxer; Jan 28, 2022 at 8:12 pm Reason: because
Old Jan 28, 2022, 8:00 pm

Wiki

Last edited by genxer; Jan 28, 2022 at 8:12 pm Reason: because

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.