Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Hotels and Places to Stay > Marriott | Marriott Bonvoy
Reload this Page >

FAQ : Marriott's "breakfast offering" explained, by brand and by Bonvoy elite level

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Aug 24, 2018, 10:27 am
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: PTahCha
Huge thanks to Horace for this list (which is much simpler to understand than Marriott's T&Cs!)

Daily Breakfast for Platinum Elite and Above

Six categories:

1. Breakfast for member + 1 in the lounge. If the hotel does not have a lounge or the lounge is closed, member can choose 750 points OR continental breakfast for member + 1 in the restaurant. A limited number of hotels provide 1,000 points each day the lounge is closed instead of a choice (Through June 30, 2024). Any of these benefits are in addition to the Platinum Elite welcome gift.

— Autograph Collection (excluding resorts)
— Courtyard (properties with a lounge only; Asia, Australia, Pacific Islands, Caribbean, Mexico, Central America, South America, the Middle East, and Africa only)
— Delta* (excluding resorts)
— JW Marriott (excluding resorts)
— Marriott (excluding resorts)
— Renaissance (excluding resorts)
* many Delta properties provide breakfast from an Elite Pantry as an alternative to a Signature Lounge, in which case the hotel does not need to provide breakfast for member + 1 the restaurant.

2. Breakfast in the hotel restaurant for member + 1 as a Platinum Elite welcome gift option (not in addition to it).

— Aloft
— Autograph Collection (resorts only)
— Delta (resorts only)
— Four Points
— The Luxury Collection
— JW Marriott (resorts only)
— Le Méridien
— Marriott (resorts only)
— Protea
— Renaissance (resorts only)
— St. Regis
— Sheraton **
— Tribute Portfolio
— W Hotels
— Westin **
** Marriott Vacation Club, Sheraton Vacation Club, and Westin Vacation Club properties are not Marriott, Sheraton, and Westin hotels/resorts.

3. Breakfast in lounge for member + 1, if the hotel has a lounge. This is in addition to the Platinum Elite welcome gift, which could be breakfast for member + 1 in the restaurant. No alternative benefit if the lounge is closed.

— Le Méridien (only at locations with a lounge)
— Sheraton (only at locations with a lounge)
— Westin (only at locations with a lounge)

4. Daily U.S. $10 F&B credit for member + 1 as a Platinum Elite welcome gift option (not in addition to it). Can be applied toward breakfast or toward other F&B purchase in the hotel restaurant or bar. Does not accrue over multiple-night stay.

— AC Hotels
— Courtyard (locations without a lounge only, which means most locations)
— MOXY ***
*** some MOXY property are more generous, providing full breakfasts to those who apply their F&B credits toward breakfast, with no additional charge

5. Breakfast for all guests included in room rate, regardless of status or membership

— Element ****
— Fairfield (except Fairfield Asia Pacific hotels) ****
— Residence Inn (NO breakfast at Residence Inn New Orleans French Quarter/CBD)
— SpringHill Suites
— TownePlace Suites
**** very few exceptions; check official hotel website

6. No complimentary daily breakfast, even for Platinum Elite and Above

— Design Hotels
— Edition
— Fairfield Asia Pacific hotels
— Gaylord Hotels
— Marriott Executive Apartments
— Marriott Vacation Club / MVC Pulse / Grand Residences by Marriott
— The Ritz-Carlton / Ritz-Carlton Reserve / Ritz-Carlton Residence Club
— Vistana / Sheraton Vacation Club / Westin Vacation Club

Note: This list does not identify specific properties that deviate from the published benefits. In some cases, exceptions are identified in the Marriott Bonvoy Loyalty Program Terms & Conditions or on specific property webpages. Exceptions are few, but can be an unpleasant or pleasant surprise, depending on whether the property provides less or more than the published benefits.Through June 30, 2024, the following properties in the United States do not provide free continental breakfast in the hotel restaurant in the event the Lounge is closed but do offer 1,000 Points in lieu of breakfast. These properties include:

• The Algonquin Hotel Times Square, Autograph Collection

• Boston Marriott Copley Place

• Boston Marriott Long Wharf

• Chicago Marriott Downtown Magnificent Mile

• JW Marriott Essex House New York City

• JW Marriott New Orleans

• JW Marriott San Francisco Union Square

• JW Marriott Washington, DC

• The Lexington Hotel, Autograph Collection

• Monterey Marriott

• New York Marriott Marquis®

• Philadelphia Marriott Downtown

• Renaissance Boston Waterfront Hotel

• Renaissance Chicago Downtown Hotel

• Renaissance Los Angeles Airport Hotel

• Renaissance New York Midtown Hotel

• Renaissance New York Times Square Hotel

• Marriott Marquis San Diego Marina

Print Wikipost

FAQ : Marriott's "breakfast offering" explained, by brand and by Bonvoy elite level

Search this Thread

Old Jan 28, 2022, 10:20 pm

Programs: AAdvantage Platinum, United Silver, Marriott Titanium Elite
Originally Posted by freed0m
The GM is right. No one get free breakfast. Read the wiki.

AC only get $10 credit for Platinum welcome choice gift.
At three select-service brands -- AC Hotels, Courtyard, and Moxy -- in the United States, it's not just a simple $10 credit. A member who is Platinum Elite or above can choose a DAILY $10 F&B credit with a SECOND DAILY $10 F&B credit for a second guest in the room. The credits do not accrue across multiple days, so they need to be used (or lost) daily.

In comparison, at hotels (not resorts) of six full-service brands -- Marriott Hotels, JW Marriott, Autograph Collection, Renaissance Hotels, Delta Hotels, and Gaylord -- Platinum Elite and above can also choose a $10 F&B credit -- but it's per stay, not per day. Also, there's not a second credit for a second guest.

The big difference is hotels (not resorts) of five of the six full-service brands (just not Gaylord) also offer the lounge/breakfast benefit. The three select-service brands and Gaylord do not.
SPN Lifer and Tanic like this.
Old Jan 30, 2022, 12:00 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K, MR LTT, HH Dia, Amex Plat
Originally Posted by Horace
At three select-service brands -- AC Hotels, Courtyard, and Moxy -- in the United States, it's not just a simple $10 credit. A member who is Platinum Elite or above can choose a DAILY $10 F&B credit with a SECOND DAILY $10 F&B credit for a second guest in the room. The credits do not accrue across multiple days, so they need to be used (or lost) daily.
Nope, that is very untrue. Hotels CAN handle it that way, but they don't have to. All 2020/2021 CYs I stayed at gave vouchers with an expiry of 'last day' and let us use multiple on the same day. It is YMMV.
Old Jan 30, 2022, 9:06 pm

Originally Posted by cfischer
Nope, that is very untrue. Hotels CAN handle it that way, but they don't have to. All 2020/2021 CYs I stayed at gave vouchers with an expiry of 'last day' and let us use multiple on the same day. It is YMMV.
cfischer:

I'm happy for you that the Courtyards at which you've stayed over the past two years have been more flexible with the daily $10 F&B credits. As you've discovered, properties can be more more generous or more flexible than what is required by the terms and conditions. I've encountered many occasions in my decades of staying at Marriott and Starwood properties when hotels provided more than required. (It's good business to treat elite guests well.)

However, it's not correct to say that what I wrote about the credits not accruing across multiple days is "very untrue."

Nobody should expect more than what's stated in the terms & conditions, but we can be delighted when a hotel does better and we can reward that hotel with our return visits.

Also, nobody should accept anything less than what's stated in the terms & conditions -- such as Courtyards that have claimed the $10 can be ten units of local currency, such as Canadian dollars (no, it needs to be at least the local equivalent of U.S.$10) or AC Hotels that have claimed the second guest does not also get $10 F&B ride daily (no, they do) or Moxy hotels that have claimed it's not daily (no, it is per night of stay, thus daily.)

The rule about credits not accruing across multiple days is clearly spelled out in the Marriott Bonvoy Loyalty Program Terms & Conditions below the "ELITE WELCOME GIFT FOR PLATINUM ELITE MEMBERS AND ABOVE" chart. corresponding to ** footnotes for Courtyard, Moxy, and AC Hotels:
"** The U.S. $10 F&B credit per night of Stay is for the Member. An additional U.S. $10 F&B credit per night of Stay is given for one (1) guest staying in the same guestroom as the Member. The U.S. $10 credit per night of Stay does not accrue during the stay. For example, a Member who does not use the $10 credit on one day does not get $20 to use the following day."
dgreen12, Tanic, OMCA and 1 others like this.
Old Feb 19, 2022, 12:43 pm
Suspended

Originally Posted by ExArkie
My understanding is that there actually are a limited number of US properties that have reopened lounges.
The Norfolk Waterside Marriott in Norfolk, Virginia has its M Club fully open, although the breakfast is pretty bad. Worse than the free buffet at a Holiday Inn Express or Residence Inn. The hot food at night was significantly better.
Old Feb 19, 2022, 12:47 pm
Suspended

Just when we think we have the breakfast understood, I discover the following in the Bonvoy terms:

“Due to the global pandemic, participating hotels may offer a food and beverage or lounge alternative for the benefit based on local guidelines or the hotel’s operational impacts related to COVID-19.”

So, essentially, a hotel can claim an "operational impact" keeps from offering a free breakfast for elites even when their restaurant is open for those buying breakfast. That was my experience at the JW Marriott in Chicago last month. Refused breakfast but told I could buy it. Invoked the $100 and got it.
volabam likes this.
Old Feb 19, 2022, 2:38 pm
Suspended

Originally Posted by High Technology
It's been several years since the Starwood acquisition, and it's high time Marriott better aligned the policies..
But which direction? I would rather have it aligned with legacy Starwood since I find the breakfast benefit at most legacy Starwood properties to be a real breakfast unlike legacy Marriotts that have horrible lounge breakfasts or play the muffin and coffee is breakfast game. I do agree that I don't understand how Marriott can completely reinvent the program with the elimination of award charts but can't align betters. It's been since 2018 now!
Old Feb 28, 2022, 12:04 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K, AC MM E75, Marriott LT Ti, IHG Dia Amb, Hyatt Glob
There’s an article today in View from the Wing that Marriott is planning to cut breakfast costs in the Sheraton Club Lounges.

https://viewfromthewing.com/marriott...ge-food-costs/
SPN Lifer likes this.
Old Mar 18, 2022, 2:51 am

Programs: A3, BA, OZ,
Just stayed in Moxy Berlin Ostbahnhof. The 10 USD credit was converted with a rate that you would probably find at a forex place. (received around 8,5 EUR instead of something just over 9. Not ideal, but fair enough.
The actual annoying things for me were:
1) the credit was processed each night at midnight, so you had to use it up before midnight. As a 'courtesy' they said that they could place my order for breakfast the night before if I ordered it beforehand.
2) could not use the credit for anything in the grab and go section. Basically could only order a pizza, nachos or some drinks, which was a pity because they had a reasonably priced salad that looked decent.

Curious if this is common, as not allowing purchases from the grab and go section really spoils the value, as does the requirement to get everything before midnight, rather than, say, noon the next day. Also curious if there is an official rate that all of them use for conversion or if they decide on their own.
Old Mar 19, 2022, 2:17 pm

Programs: AC SE100K MM, Bonvoy Lifetime Titanium, Accor Diamond, National Emerald Club Exec Elite
Stayed at a Four Points in Canada this week and chose the breakfast in the restaurant as my amenity. Was told by my server that my only option was the Continental, which consisted of a pastry and a fruit cup plus juice (coffee is also free for everyone in the restaurant). I asked her if I could have yogurt as well, and she told me that I’d be charged for it. I told her that I didn’t think that met the criteria for the amenity and she just shrugged. Shortly after I was checking out and told the front desk agent that the breakfast didn’t meet the criteria and I was claiming the USD $50. She had no idea what I was talking about and called the manager. To my surprise, he couldn’t have been nicer. He said that they should have included yogurt and that they had just reopened the restaurant after Covid and he was going to speak to the new waitress and chef. To my shock, he agreed with my claim for the $50 USD.
dgreen12, SPN Lifer, Tanic and 4 others like this.
Old Mar 19, 2022, 3:52 pm

Originally Posted by AlwaysFlyStar
Just stayed in Moxy Berlin Ostbahnhof. The 10 USD credit was converted with a rate that you would probably find at a forex place. (received around 8,5 EUR instead of something just over 9. Not ideal, but fair enough.
The actual annoying things for me were:
1) the credit was processed each night at midnight, so you had to use it up before midnight. As a 'courtesy' they said that they could place my order for breakfast the night before if I ordered it beforehand.
2) could not use the credit for anything in the grab and go section. Basically could only order a pizza, nachos or some drinks, which was a pity because they had a reasonably priced salad that looked decent.

Curious if this is common, as not allowing purchases from the grab and go section really spoils the value, as does the requirement to get everything before midnight, rather than, say, noon the next day. Also curious if there is an official rate that all of them use for conversion or if they decide on their own.
Currently, $10 USD = €9,04 EUR, so €9 EUR would seem like a reasonable daily food and beverage ("F&B") credit for the Platinum Elite (or above) member (plus the same for a second guest in the room) in countries that use the Euro. Only providing €8,5 EUR in Germany does not comply with terms & conditions. The Moxy Berlin Ostbahnhof is being ridiculously petty. It's not even a case of rounding to the nearest Euro. It's an insult to guests.

The Moxy Berlin Ostbahnhof "rule" that the F&B credit must be used by midnight is also hostile to guests. The terms & conditions state that the credit does not accrue during the stay, but terms & conditions do NOT state that the credit must be used by midnight each day, including check-in day! For a one-night stay I would expect to be able to use the credit any time before my check-out, typically for breakfast. For a multi-night stay, I would expect that pattern to repeat every 24 hours.

As far as limiting what food & beverage items qualify, there are no limitations in the terms & conditions, so it seems a "reasonable person" interpretation would apply. A reasonable person would understand that food & beverage means just that -- but would also understand if local laws prevent some items from qualifying (such as alcohol where promotional alcohol is forbidden); or if there is a third-party restaurant attached to the hotel in addition to the hotel's own restaurant; or if the credit cannot be applied to items that are neither food nor beverage.

The front dark agent at the Moxy Berlin Ostbahnhof was making up rules, or has been poorly trained, or is working for a manager who is willing to treat elite guests badly to save a few Euros at the expense of alienating and driving away loyal Marriott Bonvoy elite guests -- thereby hurting the many thousands of Marriott Bonvoy hotels that provide excellent service to elite guests.
dgreen12, Tanic, slowly and 2 others like this.

Last edited by Horace; Mar 19, 2022 at 4:16 pm
Old Mar 19, 2022, 11:05 pm

Programs: WN F9 HA UA AA IHG HH MR
Originally Posted by ac/elite
She...called the manager. To my surprise, he couldn’t have been nicer. He said that they should have included yogurt and that they had just reopened the restaurant after Covid and he was going to speak to the new waitress and chef.
Sounds like the nice manager was letting the inmates run his asylum.
SPN Lifer and jobuzo like this.
Old Apr 2, 2022, 5:13 am

Yes more consistency would be better. Last month received a wonderful room service breakfast for my wife and I for free at the W South Beach. Today I had to pay for coffee at the Courtyard in Clemson! Get with it guys!
jobuzo likes this.
Old Apr 2, 2022, 10:35 am

Programs: WN F9 HA UA AA IHG HH MR
Originally Posted by ckelly14
Today I had to pay for coffee at the Courtyard in Clemson! Get with it guys!
Did you claim $10 pp F&B credit at check in?
Old Apr 10, 2022, 5:54 pm

Restaurant Closed For Breakfast - Le Meridien

A slightly different scenario, but I'm looking for some confirmation here as I have an upcoming stay at a Le Meridien next week in North America. From my pre-travel research it appears the restaurant (third-party operated, if that matters) has not reopen for breakfast at all, and that breakfast won't be an available option for the Welcome Amenity. To provide additional color, there is no local COVID-restrictions preventing the restaurant from operating.

I wanted to confirm with this group that this will mean that because breakfast is not able to be offered as an available option that I will be entitled to claim the $100 compensation as well as the choice of 1,000 points or the local amenity option?
Old Apr 10, 2022, 6:08 pm

Programs: UA Gold
Originally Posted by DB86
A slightly different scenario, but I'm looking for some confirmation here as I have an upcoming stay at a Le Meridien next week in North America. From my pre-travel research it appears the restaurant (third-party operated, if that matters) has not reopen for breakfast at all, and that breakfast won't be an available option for the Welcome Amenity. To provide additional color, there is no local COVID-restrictions preventing the restaurant from operating.

I wanted to confirm with this group that this will mean that because breakfast is not able to be offered as an available option that I will be entitled to claim the $100 compensation as well as the choice of 1,000 points or the local amenity option?
Hotel name?
Did you call the hotel and ask what they are doing for breakfast?

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.