Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Hotels and Places to Stay > Marriott | Marriott Bonvoy
Reload this Page >

FAQ : Marriott's "breakfast offering" explained, by brand and by Bonvoy elite level

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Aug 24, 2018, 10:27 am
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: PTahCha
Huge thanks to Horace for this list (which is much simpler to understand than Marriott's T&Cs!)

Daily Breakfast for Platinum Elite and Above

Six categories:

1. Breakfast for member + 1 in the lounge. If the hotel does not have a lounge or the lounge is closed, member can choose 750 points OR continental breakfast for member + 1 in the restaurant. A limited number of hotels provide 1,000 points each day the lounge is closed instead of a choice (Through June 30, 2024). Any of these benefits are in addition to the Platinum Elite welcome gift.

— Autograph Collection (excluding resorts)
— Courtyard (properties with a lounge only; Asia, Australia, Pacific Islands, Caribbean, Mexico, Central America, South America, the Middle East, and Africa only)
— Delta* (excluding resorts)
— JW Marriott (excluding resorts)
— Marriott (excluding resorts)
— Renaissance (excluding resorts)
* many Delta properties provide breakfast from an Elite Pantry as an alternative to a Signature Lounge, in which case the hotel does not need to provide breakfast for member + 1 the restaurant.

2. Breakfast in the hotel restaurant for member + 1 as a Platinum Elite welcome gift option (not in addition to it).

— Aloft
— Autograph Collection (resorts only)
— Delta (resorts only)
— Four Points
— The Luxury Collection
— JW Marriott (resorts only)
— Le Méridien
— Marriott (resorts only)
— Protea
— Renaissance (resorts only)
— St. Regis
— Sheraton **
— Tribute Portfolio
— W Hotels
— Westin **
** Marriott Vacation Club, Sheraton Vacation Club, and Westin Vacation Club properties are not Marriott, Sheraton, and Westin hotels/resorts.

3. Breakfast in lounge for member + 1, if the hotel has a lounge. This is in addition to the Platinum Elite welcome gift, which could be breakfast for member + 1 in the restaurant. No alternative benefit if the lounge is closed.

— Le Méridien (only at locations with a lounge)
— Sheraton (only at locations with a lounge)
— Westin (only at locations with a lounge)

4. Daily U.S. $10 F&B credit for member + 1 as a Platinum Elite welcome gift option (not in addition to it). Can be applied toward breakfast or toward other F&B purchase in the hotel restaurant or bar. Does not accrue over multiple-night stay.

— AC Hotels
— Courtyard (locations without a lounge only, which means most locations)
— MOXY ***
*** some MOXY property are more generous, providing full breakfasts to those who apply their F&B credits toward breakfast, with no additional charge

5. Breakfast for all guests included in room rate, regardless of status or membership

— Element ****
— Fairfield (except Fairfield Asia Pacific hotels) ****
— Residence Inn (NO breakfast at Residence Inn New Orleans French Quarter/CBD)
— SpringHill Suites
— TownePlace Suites
**** very few exceptions; check official hotel website

6. No complimentary daily breakfast, even for Platinum Elite and Above

— Design Hotels
— Edition
— Fairfield Asia Pacific hotels
— Gaylord Hotels
— Marriott Executive Apartments
— Marriott Vacation Club / MVC Pulse / Grand Residences by Marriott
— The Ritz-Carlton / Ritz-Carlton Reserve / Ritz-Carlton Residence Club
— Vistana / Sheraton Vacation Club / Westin Vacation Club

Note: This list does not identify specific properties that deviate from the published benefits. In some cases, exceptions are identified in the Marriott Bonvoy Loyalty Program Terms & Conditions or on specific property webpages. Exceptions are few, but can be an unpleasant or pleasant surprise, depending on whether the property provides less or more than the published benefits.Through June 30, 2024, the following properties in the United States do not provide free continental breakfast in the hotel restaurant in the event the Lounge is closed but do offer 1,000 Points in lieu of breakfast. These properties include:

• The Algonquin Hotel Times Square, Autograph Collection

• Boston Marriott Copley Place

• Boston Marriott Long Wharf

• Chicago Marriott Downtown Magnificent Mile

• JW Marriott Essex House New York City

• JW Marriott New Orleans

• JW Marriott San Francisco Union Square

• JW Marriott Washington, DC

• The Lexington Hotel, Autograph Collection

• Monterey Marriott

• New York Marriott Marquis®

• Philadelphia Marriott Downtown

• Renaissance Boston Waterfront Hotel

• Renaissance Chicago Downtown Hotel

• Renaissance Los Angeles Airport Hotel

• Renaissance New York Midtown Hotel

• Renaissance New York Times Square Hotel

• Marriott Marquis San Diego Marina

Print Wikipost

FAQ : Marriott's "breakfast offering" explained, by brand and by Bonvoy elite level

Search this Thread

Old Aug 30, 2018, 12:28 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by kmersh
The wife just finished a stay the Renaissance Curacao and she received a continental breakfast each morning complimentary, I do not know if that is new or always that way, but she said it was good enough, nothing special.
We stayed there in July and received two continental buffet breakfasts daily.
Old Aug 31, 2018, 12:29 am

Just stayed at the Marriott Crabtree Valley in Raleigh, North Carolina. I was in the m lounge for breakfast and I walked in looked around and the employee inside the lounge asked me how I was and if I needed anything. I jokingly said I wish you had a omelet station in here. He took out of his pocket a free breakfast card for the buffet at the restaurant for breakfast.

So that got me thinking today has anyone experience something like this before. Do people normally ask at the front desk to see if they can get free buffet breakfast even if they have breakfast in the m-lounge or concierge lounge?
Old Aug 31, 2018, 9:50 am
Suspended
Original Poster

Programs: Delta Diamond, Marriott Ambassador & Lifetime Titanium, Hertz President's Circle, United Silver
Here is an update on what the Marriott Waikiki Beach is doing:

https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/30152269-post636.html
Old Sep 1, 2018, 2:47 pm

Do stays booked with priceline, expedia, hotwire, etc, qualify for the breakfast benefits, or are they excluded? (I believe they are excluded for earning points and status, but I'm not sure about breakfast benefits....)
Old Sep 9, 2018, 5:24 pm

Programs: Aeroplan SE AND 1MM, HHonors Gold, Marriott Bonvoy Platinum , L'Accor Platinum
Benefits (in lieu of lounge) at Four Points Hotel for Marriott Platinum Elite Members

I used to be a Marriott Rewards Gold member pre-merger of Marriott/SPG program - I guess I am now a Platinum Elite?

I will be staying at the Four Points by Sheraton in Halifax for a couple of nights later this month.

I guess this hotel would not have a lounge?

I wonder if as a Platinum member, I get a free or discounted breakfast.
Old Sep 9, 2018, 8:55 pm

Programs: UA 1MM, Marriott LTP, Hilton Gold, Hyatt Explorist, Hertz PC
I received free breakfast for 4 (2 adults/2 kids) at a Four Points hotel recently. Nothing else. They couldn't give me a room upgrade, saying it was too full. I didn't press.
Old Sep 9, 2018, 9:00 pm

Programs: AC SE100K, Bonvoy Ambassador Elite, Hilton Silver
Four Points don’t have lounges. Just like any brand with no lounge, at check in you can take points for your plat amenity or take free breakfast, the choice is yours.
Old Sep 9, 2018, 9:27 pm

Programs: AAdvantage Platinum, United Silver, Marriott Titanium Elite
Originally Posted by FlyerGoldII
I used to be a Marriott Rewards Gold member pre-merger of Marriott/SPG program - I guess I am now a Platinum Elite?

I will be staying at the Four Points by Sheraton in Halifax for a couple of nights later this month.

I guess this hotel would not have a lounge?

I wonder if as a Platinum member, I get a free or discounted breakfast.

Originally Posted by djkyyc
Four Points don’t have lounges. Just like any brand with no lounge, at check in you can take points for your plat amenity or take free breakfast, the choice is yours.
It's true that executive lounges are not brand standard at Four Points. And it's true that Platinum guests can choose "DAILY BREAKFAST FOR MEMBER + 1 GUEST" as a Platinum Welcome Gift (instead of 500 points and instead of an amenity) at Four Points.

However, it's not true that this breakfast option applies to "any brand with no lounge." As the following link shows, the breakfast option only applies at some Marriott brands, primarily Starwood legacy brands, notably not including Design (no breakfast benefit) and Element (breakfast included in room rate for all guests). It's also been added to resorts of five full-service Marriott legacy brands, as well as to Protea.

A number of Marriott brands do not provide Platinum breakfast at all, or provide it through Marriott's traditional lounge/breakfast benefit, or provide the Welcome Gift option of a daily $10 F&B credit for member + 1.

https://members.marriott.com/wp-cont...ift_Final2.pdf
Old Sep 9, 2018, 11:06 pm

Platinum Perk - How Many Points Instead of Breakfast?

I stayed at a Westin recently. I am new to SPG, so I don't know how many points you're supposed to get if you choose the Platinum perk points over the breakfast benefit. I didn't even ask, as I figured it would just post and I'd find out. It's been a few weeks and I still haven't seen these points post.

I'd like to call in to inquire about it - but I would like to know how many points I should be expecting first. And, should I call the hotel, or the SPG toll free line?

Last edited by pokee; Sep 9, 2018 at 11:11 pm
Old Sep 9, 2018, 11:37 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: AS 75K; UA 1MM; Hyatt Globalist; Marriott LTP; Hilton Diamond (Aspire)
1000 points post August 18.

Call the hotel to avoid the lengthy Marriott/SPG hold times.
Old Sep 10, 2018, 5:33 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AC SE 2MM; UA MP Premier Silver; Marriott Bonvoy LT Titanium Elite; Radisson; Avis PC
Isn't everything already explained in the master thread that's been floating on the first page for awhile now?

https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/marr...explained.html

From its wiki, pertaining to FP properties: "Breakfast in the hotel restaurant for member + 1 as a Platinum Elite welcome gift option (not in addition to it)."
Old Sep 10, 2018, 8:45 am

Originally Posted by pokee
I stayed at a Westin recently. I am new to SPG, so I don't know how many points you're supposed to get if you choose the Platinum perk points over the breakfast benefit. I didn't even ask, as I figured it would just post and I'd find out. It's been a few weeks and I still haven't seen these points post.

I'd like to call in to inquire about it - but I would like to know how many points I should be expecting first. And, should I call the hotel, or the SPG toll free line?
The Platinum Elite Welcome Gift point option is simple and straightforward. Unless you choose a different Welcome Gift, you get 1000 points at full-service properties (including luxury) or 500 points at select-service properties (including extended stay):

https://members.marriott.com/wp-cont...ift_Final2.pdf

Just keep in mind that daily breakfast is often a Platinum Elite Welcome Gift option, especially for Starwood legacy brands. So if you pick daily breakfast at such a property — for example, at a Westin without a lounge — the number of points is zero.
Old Sep 12, 2018, 11:12 am
IHG 5+ Badge

Programs: IHG Spire Ambassador, HHonors Diamond, Hyatt Platinum, SPG Gold
5. Breakfast for all guests included in room rate, regardless of status or membership

— Element

Check in 12 sept. No breakfast benefit. Points stay.

Am i misreading something lol ><
Old Sep 12, 2018, 11:45 am

Originally Posted by jedicat666

— Element

Check in 12 sept. No breakfast benefit. Points stay.

Am i misreading something lol ><
Was it the Element by Westin Bali Ubud in Indonesia?

That property shows "Buffet breakfast, fee from 181500.00 IDR" at its official website: https://www.marriott.com/hotels/hote...tin-bali-ubud/

I don't know how this property gets a away with it. Starwood should not have allowed it, and Marriott should not allow it.

Complimentary breakfast is a brand standaed for Element: https://element-hotels.marriott.com/...ealthy-eating/
Rise breakfast
Join us every morning for our complimentary Rise breakfast of whole fruit, nourishing granola, and something hot from the kitchen.
The purpose of the Wiki at the top of this thread is to provide a succinct overview of the brand standards for Platinum Breakfast at the brands that are part of the new loyalty program, post-August 18.

There are other exceptions. For example, although complimentary breakfast is a brand standard for Fairfield, the Fairfield Inn Anaheim near Disneyland only has paid breakfast options.
Old Sep 12, 2018, 5:02 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

This blog write up may help - it shows an INTERNAL pamphlet that each property should have received (hopefully multiple copies!) on Elite benefits.

https://loyaltylobby.com/2018/09/10/...-pocket-guide/

It is not easy to copy the whole thing, have to do it one image at a time. But at least this helps us the customers to have an easy reference on hand and hopefully could point it to the properties to look up this handy pamphlet at their own possession!
sdsearch likes this.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.