Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Hotels and Places to Stay > Marriott | Marriott Bonvoy
Reload this Page >

FAQ : Marriott's "breakfast offering" explained, by brand and by Bonvoy elite level

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Aug 24, 2018, 10:27 am
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: PTahCha
Huge thanks to Horace for this list (which is much simpler to understand than Marriott's T&Cs!)

Daily Breakfast for Platinum Elite and Above

Six categories:

1. Breakfast for member + 1 in the lounge. If the hotel does not have a lounge or the lounge is closed, member can choose 750 points OR continental breakfast for member + 1 in the restaurant. A limited number of hotels provide 1,000 points each day the lounge is closed instead of a choice (Through June 30, 2024). Any of these benefits are in addition to the Platinum Elite welcome gift.

— Autograph Collection (excluding resorts)
— Courtyard (properties with a lounge only; Asia, Australia, Pacific Islands, Caribbean, Mexico, Central America, South America, the Middle East, and Africa only)
— Delta* (excluding resorts)
— JW Marriott (excluding resorts)
— Marriott (excluding resorts)
— Renaissance (excluding resorts)
* many Delta properties provide breakfast from an Elite Pantry as an alternative to a Signature Lounge, in which case the hotel does not need to provide breakfast for member + 1 the restaurant.

2. Breakfast in the hotel restaurant for member + 1 as a Platinum Elite welcome gift option (not in addition to it).

— Aloft
— Autograph Collection (resorts only)
— Delta (resorts only)
— Four Points
— The Luxury Collection
— JW Marriott (resorts only)
— Le Méridien
— Marriott (resorts only)
— Protea
— Renaissance (resorts only)
— St. Regis
— Sheraton **
— Tribute Portfolio
— W Hotels
— Westin **
** Marriott Vacation Club, Sheraton Vacation Club, and Westin Vacation Club properties are not Marriott, Sheraton, and Westin hotels/resorts.

3. Breakfast in lounge for member + 1, if the hotel has a lounge. This is in addition to the Platinum Elite welcome gift, which could be breakfast for member + 1 in the restaurant. No alternative benefit if the lounge is closed.

— Le Méridien (only at locations with a lounge)
— Sheraton (only at locations with a lounge)
— Westin (only at locations with a lounge)

4. Daily U.S. $10 F&B credit for member + 1 as a Platinum Elite welcome gift option (not in addition to it). Can be applied toward breakfast or toward other F&B purchase in the hotel restaurant or bar. Does not accrue over multiple-night stay.

— AC Hotels
— Courtyard (locations without a lounge only, which means most locations)
— MOXY ***
*** some MOXY property are more generous, providing full breakfasts to those who apply their F&B credits toward breakfast, with no additional charge

5. Breakfast for all guests included in room rate, regardless of status or membership

— Element ****
— Fairfield (except Fairfield Asia Pacific hotels) ****
— Residence Inn (NO breakfast at Residence Inn New Orleans French Quarter/CBD)
— SpringHill Suites
— TownePlace Suites
**** very few exceptions; check official hotel website

6. No complimentary daily breakfast, even for Platinum Elite and Above

— Design Hotels
— Edition
— Fairfield Asia Pacific hotels
— Gaylord Hotels
— Marriott Executive Apartments
— Marriott Vacation Club / MVC Pulse / Grand Residences by Marriott
— The Ritz-Carlton / Ritz-Carlton Reserve / Ritz-Carlton Residence Club
— Vistana / Sheraton Vacation Club / Westin Vacation Club

Note: This list does not identify specific properties that deviate from the published benefits. In some cases, exceptions are identified in the Marriott Bonvoy Loyalty Program Terms & Conditions or on specific property webpages. Exceptions are few, but can be an unpleasant or pleasant surprise, depending on whether the property provides less or more than the published benefits.Through June 30, 2024, the following properties in the United States do not provide free continental breakfast in the hotel restaurant in the event the Lounge is closed but do offer 1,000 Points in lieu of breakfast. These properties include:

• The Algonquin Hotel Times Square, Autograph Collection

• Boston Marriott Copley Place

• Boston Marriott Long Wharf

• Chicago Marriott Downtown Magnificent Mile

• JW Marriott Essex House New York City

• JW Marriott New Orleans

• JW Marriott San Francisco Union Square

• JW Marriott Washington, DC

• The Lexington Hotel, Autograph Collection

• Monterey Marriott

• New York Marriott Marquis®

• Philadelphia Marriott Downtown

• Renaissance Boston Waterfront Hotel

• Renaissance Chicago Downtown Hotel

• Renaissance Los Angeles Airport Hotel

• Renaissance New York Midtown Hotel

• Renaissance New York Times Square Hotel

• Marriott Marquis San Diego Marina

Print Wikipost

FAQ : Marriott's "breakfast offering" explained, by brand and by Bonvoy elite level

Search this Thread

Old Oct 18, 2018, 11:43 am

Programs: AA Life Gold, Marriott Platinum Elite
So what is the correct escalation contact or procedure if a hotel does not honor this? One person in this thread reports getting a breakfast at Cosmopolitan Las Vegas on Aug 18, but others in the Cosmo thread report difficulties with this. I don't want to spend my upcoming vacation arguing and escalating for this.
Old Oct 18, 2018, 4:07 pm

Programs: Marriott Ambassador; AA EXP 3MM; AS MVP, Hilton Gold, CH-47/UH-60/C-23/C-130 VET
Originally Posted by azmojo
So what is the correct escalation contact or procedure if a hotel does not honor this? One person in this thread reports getting a breakfast at Cosmopolitan Las Vegas on Aug 18, but others in the Cosmo thread report difficulties with this. I don't want to spend my upcoming vacation arguing and escalating for this.
I might be the person you reference at the Cosmo ... I had a rate that gave breakfast on one of the days of a two day stay. It was on 8/18 and I was with a friend so wasn't in the argument/escalation mode.

Agreed, would be nice to get this resolved or escalated since it is rather a clear benefit. I suppose you could ask for the guarantee not that it would get paid ....
Old Oct 18, 2018, 6:50 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by qofmiwok
DP's on how this is implemented? I am at Renaissance Barcelona and was just told I would get standard american breakfast in the hotel restaurant. That is 24 euros. Could I usually apply this credit toward menu items? I have been in Europe for 2.5 weeks already and am sick of cold buffet items and sugary everything-else. Would love to order off the menu.

3. Brands where in the absence of a lounge, breakfast is free in restaurant

JW Marriott, Marriott, Renaissance, Autograph & Delta
Actually, if it's "standard American breakfast", then there are comparatively few cold buffet items. At the Marriott Suites and the Delta that I've been to where there is no lounge and the breakfast is free in the restaurant, there are at least 5 hot menu items PLUS a cooked-to-order "omelette" station (where you can actually order eggs cooked in any style). So even if you can't order off of the menu, it's not all cold buffet and sugary everything-else (that would be more of a "continental" European breakfast than a "standard American breakfast").

And in those hot items I'm not counting the vat of cooked oatmeal, which at these hotels is not pre-sweetened, but instead has bins of sugar and other toppings next to it, so if it don't like your oatmeal sweetened (and I don't), it's not sweetened.

And because of that, I've never thought to ask I could order something off the menu instead at those places.

Of course, I don't know if what that particular Renaissance calls a "standard American breakfast" is really a standard American hotel breakfast, or just someone's distorted idea of one.
Old Oct 19, 2018, 5:45 am

Programs: Marriott Ambassador; AA EXP 3MM; AS MVP, Hilton Gold, CH-47/UH-60/C-23/C-130 VET
Originally Posted by sdsearch
Actually, if it's "standard American breakfast", then there are comparatively few cold buffet items. At the Marriott Suites and the Delta that I've been to where there is no lounge and the breakfast is free in the restaurant, there are at least 5 hot menu items PLUS a cooked-to-order "omelette" station (where you can actually order eggs cooked in any style). So even if you can't order off of the menu, it's not all cold buffet and sugary everything-else (that would be more of a "continental" European breakfast than a "standard American breakfast").

And in those hot items I'm not counting the vat of cooked oatmeal, which at these hotels is not pre-sweetened, but instead has bins of sugar and other toppings next to it, so if it don't like your oatmeal sweetened (and I don't), it's not sweetened.

And because of that, I've never thought to ask I could order something off the menu instead at those places.

Of course, I don't know if what that particular Renaissance calls a "standard American breakfast" is really a standard American hotel breakfast, or just someone's distorted idea of one.

the breakfast at the Renn Barcelona (free for plats) is definitely not a standard American breakfast! I'd describe it as an upscale standard Spanish breakfast with a great mix of Spanish cheeses, local meats, fruit, and a variety of bakery items. At the ends, they have some hot English breakfast items ... eggs, beans, mushrooms, tomatoes, and last time in was there had some Asian noodles and broth.

it certainly had a few local honeys and jams. But plenty of quality Spanish breakfast choices along with English breakfast options.
Old Oct 19, 2018, 6:36 am
Suspended
Original Poster

Programs: Delta Diamond, Marriott Ambassador & Lifetime Titanium, Hertz President's Circle, United Silver
Originally Posted by sdsearch

At Marriott Detroit Airport and Four Points by Sheraton Toronto Mississauga, the breakfast benefit was good for either the full breakfast or anything off the menu. I didn't ask about champagne for breakfast.

If I'm remembering correctly, both the legacy Marriott terms and conditions and the new Marriott terms and conditions only used "continental breakfast" to describe the breakfast provided in a club, executive, concierge, or M lounge. When referring to breakfast in a restaurant because of no lounge or a closed lounge, it always said "breakfast."

If anything it is legacy SPG hotels that have skimped historically with many properties claiming a croissant and coffee was a sufficient breakfast. I've never encountered legacy Marriott hotels that were that skimpy.

Last edited by hockeyinsider; Oct 19, 2018 at 9:16 am
Old Oct 19, 2018, 7:02 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K, AC MM E75, Marriott LT Ti, IHG Dia Amb, Hyatt Glob
Originally Posted by C17PSGR
the breakfast at the Renn Barcelona (free for plats) is definitely not a standard American breakfast! I'd describe it as an upscale standard Spanish breakfast with a great mix of Spanish cheeses, local meats, fruit, and a variety of bakery items. At the ends, they have some hot English breakfast items ... eggs, beans, mushrooms, tomatoes, and last time in was there had some Asian noodles and broth.

it certainly had a few local honeys and jams. But plenty of quality Spanish breakfast choices along with English breakfast options.
Totally agree. When I was there in Sept, they still had the option of a la carte breakfast on the terrace on one of the high floors (now closed for winter). Normally it's an additional 6 Euros, but the FD Mgr offered it to me complimentary due to some issues I had. I went up to the terrace, looked at the menu, then decided to go back to the buffet breakfast on the second floor. I thought the selection was excellent and much better than the standard American breakfast.
C17PSGR likes this.
Old Oct 19, 2018, 10:54 am

Originally Posted by margarita girl
Totally agree. When I was there in Sept, they still had the option of a la carte breakfast on the terrace on one of the high floors (now closed for winter). Normally it's an additional 6 Euros, but the FD Mgr offered it to me complimentary due to some issues I had. I went up to the terrace, looked at the menu, then decided to go back to the buffet breakfast on the second floor. I thought the selection was excellent and much better than the standard American breakfast.
Alas, whenever US hotels provide a certificate for a continental breakfast, I'm always hopeful that they mean the type of breakfast served on the "continent." Unfortunately, my hopes are usually dashed
Horace, Happy and margarita girl like this.
Old Oct 26, 2018, 8:00 pm

Platinum Free Breakfast?

I am confused and I come from SPG side. No more free breakfast with Platinum? Or only via a lounge if on property? Sorry if this is stupid.
Old Oct 26, 2018, 8:04 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: UALifetimePremierGold, Marriott LifetimeTitanium
This post explains breakfast offerings by brand. Very nice summary.

https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/30125304-post2.html

This post lists US properties (SPG being added):

https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/30125316-post3.html

This post lists ROW (rest of world) properties (updates almost done):

https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/30125320-post4.html

Cheers.
Centurion and 466SHH like this.
Old Oct 27, 2018, 9:09 am

Programs: AAdvantage Platinum, United Silver, Marriott Titanium Elite
Originally Posted by Centurion
I am confused and I come from SPG side. No more free breakfast with Platinum? Or only via a lounge if on property? Sorry if this is stupid.
Overall, the complimentary breakfast benefit for Platinum Elite members improved when the loyalty programs were combined on August 18, 2018.

At Starwood legacy brands, not much changed. Daily restaurant breakfast for the member + 1 continues to be a Welcome Gift option at the brands that previously offered this benefit. Le Méridien, Sheraton, and Westin properties with lounges continue to provide lounge access including breakfast. Design Hotels continue not to provide breakfast. Element continues to offer complimentary breakfast to all guests, regardless of status (with a couple of locations still not participating).

At Marriott legacy brands, complimentary breakfast continues to be handled much as before — but there have been some improvements. Resorts of five brands that were previously excluded now offer daily restaurant breakfast for the Platinum Elite member + 1 as a Welcome Gift option. That's also now the case at Protea properties. AC Hotels, Courtyard, and MOXY still don't provide a true breakfast benefit, but these brands now offer a daily $10 F&B credit for the member + 1 as a Welcome Gift option. Some brands continue not have a Platinum Elite breakfast benefit at all.

With 6,700+ properties now in the Marriott system, there have been some problems — but surprisingly few, at least based on what's been posted on this forum. These problems seem to be due to misinterpretation of the benefits (by the hotel or by the guest), or poor training at some properties, or a few GMs who think they can make up their own rules to save on costs.

Also, there have been a few reports on the forum of properties that used the program merger on August 18 as justification to cut back on local benefits that were previously more generous. The hotels would then make the ridiculous claim that Marriott is to blame, as if the corporation is preventing local hotels from offering excellent Platinum Elite recognition.
lewinr likes this.

Last edited by Horace; Oct 27, 2018 at 5:30 pm
Old Nov 19, 2018, 5:20 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA EXP 3MM, Lifetime Platinum, Marriott Titanium, HH Gold
Courtyard Resort - Platinum Breakfast benefit?

Hi all,
I cannot seem to find a clear answer to the question of how Platinum members are offered breakfast at Courtyard Resorts. Specifically, I am staying at the Courtyard Isla Verde Beach Resort in San Juan, PR.

Will I be offered free breakfast as a Platinum member? There is no lounge at this location, but there is a restaurant that serves breakfast. (I'm staying alone, so I don't need member +1....just the member.)

Or is it $10 per day F&B credit on property?

Or is it something else? And will I need to request it specifically or should they offer it without my asking?

Thanks!
Old Nov 19, 2018, 6:29 pm

Programs: AAdvantage Platinum, United Silver, Marriott Titanium Elite
Originally Posted by ESpen36
Hi all,
I cannot seem to find a clear answer to the question of how Platinum members are offered breakfast at Courtyard Resorts. Specifically, I am staying at the Courtyard Isla Verde Beach Resort in San Juan, PR.

Will I be offered free breakfast as a Platinum member? There is no lounge at this location, but there is a restaurant that serves breakfast. (I'm staying alone, so I don't need member +1....just the member.)

Or is it $10 per day F&B credit on property?

Or is it something else? And will I need to request it specifically or should they offer it without my asking?

Thanks!
There are only five Marriott brands that differentiate between hotels and resorts when it comes to breakfast for Platinum Elite guests. Courtyard is not one of them.

As a Platinum Elite member, you should be be a offered a Welcome Gift upon arrival at Courtyard properties. .

From the Loyalty Program Terms & Conditions:

Courtyard - United States, Canada, Europe:

— 500 Points per Stay or U.S. $10 F&B credit per day for Member +1

Courtyard - Asia, Australia, Pacific Islands, Caribbean, Mexico, Central America, South America, the Middle East, and Africa:

— Properties without lounge - 500 Points per Stay or F&B amenity per Stay or U.S. $10 F&B credit per day for Member +1

— Properties with lounge - 500 Points per Stay and breakfast in lounge - if lounge is closed, breakfast in restaurant per day of Stay for Member +1

The U.S. $10 F&B credit per day is for the Member. An additional U.S. $10 F&B credit per day is given for one (1) guest staying in the same guestroom as the Member.
ESpen36 likes this.
Old Nov 19, 2018, 8:27 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
IHG Contributor BadgeMarriott Contributor Badge

Programs: Delta - Silver; UA - Silver; HHonors - Diamond; IHG - Spire Ambassador; Marriott Bonvoy - Titanium
This reminds me to ask whether we've had made any progress with the Courtyard Europe situation, or is it still told that the next morning's breakfast isn't possible because you have to use the voucher by midnight?
Old Nov 23, 2018, 1:07 pm
Suspended
Original Poster

Programs: Delta Diamond, Marriott Ambassador & Lifetime Titanium, Hertz President's Circle, United Silver
This is the pathetic breakfast for elites at Scrub Island Resort, Autograph Collection in the British Virgin Islands:

https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/30459550-post107.html
Old Nov 23, 2018, 2:39 pm

Programs: SQ Krisflyer, QR Privilege Club, MB LT Plt (1K+ nights thx MB)
Revolting...Wonder if this is what MAR envisioned with their breakfast benefit ... somebody should email Mr Sorenson the picture and sign Bon Appetit ...Mr Clown CEO
margarita girl and narvik like this.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.