Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Hotels and Places to Stay > Marriott | Marriott Bonvoy
Reload this Page >

FAQ : Marriott's "breakfast offering" explained, by brand and by Bonvoy elite level

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Aug 24, 2018, 10:27 am
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: PTahCha
Huge thanks to Horace for this list (which is much simpler to understand than Marriott's T&Cs!)

Daily Breakfast for Platinum Elite and Above

Six categories:

1. Breakfast for member + 1 in the lounge. If the hotel does not have a lounge or the lounge is closed, member can choose 750 points OR continental breakfast for member + 1 in the restaurant. A limited number of hotels provide 1,000 points each day the lounge is closed instead of a choice (Through June 30, 2024). Any of these benefits are in addition to the Platinum Elite welcome gift.

— Autograph Collection (excluding resorts)
— Courtyard (properties with a lounge only; Asia, Australia, Pacific Islands, Caribbean, Mexico, Central America, South America, the Middle East, and Africa only)
— Delta* (excluding resorts)
— JW Marriott (excluding resorts)
— Marriott (excluding resorts)
— Renaissance (excluding resorts)
* many Delta properties provide breakfast from an Elite Pantry as an alternative to a Signature Lounge, in which case the hotel does not need to provide breakfast for member + 1 the restaurant.

2. Breakfast in the hotel restaurant for member + 1 as a Platinum Elite welcome gift option (not in addition to it).

— Aloft
— Autograph Collection (resorts only)
— Delta (resorts only)
— Four Points
— The Luxury Collection
— JW Marriott (resorts only)
— Le Méridien
— Marriott (resorts only)
— Protea
— Renaissance (resorts only)
— St. Regis
— Sheraton **
— Tribute Portfolio
— W Hotels
— Westin **
** Marriott Vacation Club, Sheraton Vacation Club, and Westin Vacation Club properties are not Marriott, Sheraton, and Westin hotels/resorts.

3. Breakfast in lounge for member + 1, if the hotel has a lounge. This is in addition to the Platinum Elite welcome gift, which could be breakfast for member + 1 in the restaurant. No alternative benefit if the lounge is closed.

— Le Méridien (only at locations with a lounge)
— Sheraton (only at locations with a lounge)
— Westin (only at locations with a lounge)

4. Daily U.S. $10 F&B credit for member + 1 as a Platinum Elite welcome gift option (not in addition to it). Can be applied toward breakfast or toward other F&B purchase in the hotel restaurant or bar. Does not accrue over multiple-night stay.

— AC Hotels
— Courtyard (locations without a lounge only, which means most locations)
— MOXY ***
*** some MOXY property are more generous, providing full breakfasts to those who apply their F&B credits toward breakfast, with no additional charge

5. Breakfast for all guests included in room rate, regardless of status or membership

— Element ****
— Fairfield (except Fairfield Asia Pacific hotels) ****
— Residence Inn (NO breakfast at Residence Inn New Orleans French Quarter/CBD)
— SpringHill Suites
— TownePlace Suites
**** very few exceptions; check official hotel website

6. No complimentary daily breakfast, even for Platinum Elite and Above

— Design Hotels
— Edition
— Fairfield Asia Pacific hotels
— Gaylord Hotels
— Marriott Executive Apartments
— Marriott Vacation Club / MVC Pulse / Grand Residences by Marriott
— The Ritz-Carlton / Ritz-Carlton Reserve / Ritz-Carlton Residence Club
— Vistana / Sheraton Vacation Club / Westin Vacation Club

Note: This list does not identify specific properties that deviate from the published benefits. In some cases, exceptions are identified in the Marriott Bonvoy Loyalty Program Terms & Conditions or on specific property webpages. Exceptions are few, but can be an unpleasant or pleasant surprise, depending on whether the property provides less or more than the published benefits.Through June 30, 2024, the following properties in the United States do not provide free continental breakfast in the hotel restaurant in the event the Lounge is closed but do offer 1,000 Points in lieu of breakfast. These properties include:

• The Algonquin Hotel Times Square, Autograph Collection

• Boston Marriott Copley Place

• Boston Marriott Long Wharf

• Chicago Marriott Downtown Magnificent Mile

• JW Marriott Essex House New York City

• JW Marriott New Orleans

• JW Marriott San Francisco Union Square

• JW Marriott Washington, DC

• The Lexington Hotel, Autograph Collection

• Monterey Marriott

• New York Marriott Marquis®

• Philadelphia Marriott Downtown

• Renaissance Boston Waterfront Hotel

• Renaissance Chicago Downtown Hotel

• Renaissance Los Angeles Airport Hotel

• Renaissance New York Midtown Hotel

• Renaissance New York Times Square Hotel

• Marriott Marquis San Diego Marina

Print Wikipost

FAQ : Marriott's "breakfast offering" explained, by brand and by Bonvoy elite level

Search this Thread

Old Oct 8, 2018, 12:56 pm
Suspended
Original Poster

Programs: Delta Diamond, Marriott Ambassador & Lifetime Titanium, Hertz President's Circle, United Silver
Originally Posted by Horace
Forest of Arden Marriott Hotel & Country Club is branded as a Marriott Hotel and is categorized as a hotel, not as a resort — so members who are Platinum Elite or higher should should be offered Platinum Welcome Gift options (1,000 Points per Stay or U.S. $10 food and beverage credit per Stay) PLUS the lounge/breakfast benefit for Member plus one guest.

Failure to provide these benefits properly entitles the Platinum member to substantial compensation.

It's all in the Loyalty Program Terms & Conditions.

It seems some hotel GMs have used the program changes of August 18, 2018, as an opportunity to reduce costs. That's fine if the hotel previously went above and beyond what was called for. But it's not okay to offer less than what's currently called for.
And in the case of this particular property, the Trip Advisor reviews are pretty bad. The consensus seems to be it's a tired old dump so the management should be offering extra to entice business.

The Marriott in Auburn Hills/Pontiac/Bloomfield Hills (Detroit suburbs) offered special packages that ranged from 5,000 to 10,000 bonus points or $50 dinner credit until it was fully renovated earlier this year. I racked up a lot of points on $100 weekend rates by staying there.

Within the last year I've also seen the London Marriott Maida Vale offer as much as 20,000 bonus points on rates of under £150 ($196).
Old Oct 8, 2018, 1:25 pm

Programs: Marriott Ambassador; AA EXP 3MM; AS MVP, Hilton Gold, CH-47/UH-60/C-23/C-130 VET
Originally Posted by hockeyinsider
The Marriott Waikiki is managed (but not owned) by Marriott.
And, while I know you're not happy with their breakfast offering, it certainly exceeds the minimum and is better than what is typical in a concierge lounge. I believe Kauai is managed by Marriott too.

Just not sure about Maui? Odd they would have such different offerings if they are.
Old Oct 8, 2018, 2:39 pm

Originally Posted by hockeyinsider
Yet more proof that Marriott's confusing naming convention for elite statuses isn't working. There's no such status as "premier platinum," unless the hotel is referring to a premier/premier plus credit card holder who also has platinum status.

So they're serving, at most, a $5 breakfast ($2 for juice, $2 for coffee and $1 for a pastry). That's outrageous. What if you don't eat pastries because of health or dietary restrictions? Or can't drink coffee because you're Mormon?

The terms and conditions are plenty clear regarding the intent of the breakfast benefit: "Breakfast in restaurant per day of Stay for Member +1."

Moreover, the terms and conditions intentionally use "continental breakfast" when referring to lounge breakfast but use "breakfast in restaurant" when referring to hotels without a lounge or without an open lounge.

"Breakfast in restaurant" is more than the "light continental" offered by this hotel. And, by the way, here is the hotel restaurant's breakfast menu: http://www.hmkmaui.com/assets/hmk-breakfast-4-2018.pdf
Agree with all your points. Rather than delighting platinum members with a real breakfast, they are adding a benefit that most will complain about. I mean even if you enjoyed the pastry of the day, who wants to have that for a week or two weeks?

Thanks for the menu link. Looking at this I’d say a simple solution would be to offer the actual continental breakfast or equivalent dollar amount instead of the light snack version. This is typical at several Westin’s I’ve been too and would likely result in guests buying up to the hot breakfast, etc. At least I could choose to have yogurt or a bagel or whatever else I feel like lol! I’ll be sure to voice my disappointment when staying at this property.
margarita girl likes this.
Old Oct 8, 2018, 2:46 pm
Suspended
Original Poster

Programs: Delta Diamond, Marriott Ambassador & Lifetime Titanium, Hertz President's Circle, United Silver
Originally Posted by C17PSGR
And, while I know you're not happy with their breakfast offering, it certainly exceeds the minimum and is better than what is typical in a concierge lounge. I believe Kauai is managed by Marriott too.

Just not sure about Maui? Odd they would have such different offerings if they are.
If you like eggs, bacon and that sort of thing then it is perfectly fine. I've always believed in quality, not quantity. If the Marriott Waikiki Beach was in Iowa it would be decent but for an international hotel with a considerable number of Japanese customers, you expect more. For example, the Westin Moana Surfrider has cheese, including brie and gouda; smoked salmon; fresh berries; and, last time I was there, smoothies. They also have a menu with some of Westin's signature, so-called Super Food options.
Old Oct 8, 2018, 2:49 pm
Suspended
Original Poster

Originally Posted by Iguana0

Agree with all your points. Rather than delighting platinum members with a real breakfast, they are adding a benefit that most will complain about. I mean even if you enjoyed the pastry of the day, who wants to have that for a week or two weeks?

Thanks for the menu link. Looking at this I’d say a simple solution would be to offer the actual continental breakfast or equivalent dollar amount instead of the light snack version. This is typical at several Westin’s I’ve been too and would likely result in guests buying up to the hot breakfast, etc. At least I could choose to have yogurt or a bagel or whatever else I feel like lol! I’ll be sure to voice my disappointment when staying at this property.
I would go there just to throw a fit and then if the management doesn't back down I would then complain make a capital case out of it on Trip Advisor and with corporate Marriott. What they're doing is completely against both the letter and spirit of the new Marriott program.
margarita girl likes this.
Old Oct 8, 2018, 5:06 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

And .. they are offering 1000 points per day while the benefit is 1000 points per stay.
They say that they are offering 1000 points per day.

But I would wait to see what posts before believing that.
C17PSGR likes this.
Old Oct 8, 2018, 7:31 pm

Programs: ʙᴏɴᴠo̱ʏ Au, IHG Au, HH Dia, Nexus, Pilot FlyingJ Preferred
Originally Posted by Horace
Yes, I suppose the wording from the Marriott Puerto Vallarta Resort & Spa that @rustykettel posted is technically correct — but only in a completely misleading way.

If the Marriott Puerto Vallarta Resort & Spa does not offer the published Platinum Elite Welcome Gift options at check-in, as defined in the Loyalty Program Terms & Conditions, then the Platinum Elite guest is entitled to U.S. $100 "Guest Compensation" — and is still entitled to choose from the published options.

For five brands, "JW Marriott, Marriott Hotels, Delta Hotels, Autograph Collection, Renaissance Hotels," — for "RESORTS only" — in "Asia, Australia, Pacific Islands, Caribbean, Mexico, Central America, South America, Middle East, and Africa," the "Platinum Elite Welcome Gift" options are one of the following:

— "1,000 Points per Stay"
— "F&B amenity per Stay"
— "breakfast in restaurant per day of Stay for Member +1"

The Platinum Elite member decides which option, not the hotel.

It's going to cost the Marriott Puerto Vallarta Resort & Spa more if there have to pay U.S. $100 compensation regularly.
So following up here. The three options were indeed offered. The breakfast offering was "continental a la carte". I asked the FDC what that was, and she began describing a standard continental breakfast. Still not quite sure what is actually served as there wasn't an option called "continental breakfast" on the menu prior. Since it doesn't seem to include full hot entres, and definitely not the buffet, I opted for points.

Not impressed with this supposed benefit improvement so far.
Old Oct 8, 2018, 8:25 pm

Programs: Marriott Ambassador; AA EXP 3MM; AS MVP, Hilton Gold, CH-47/UH-60/C-23/C-130 VET
Originally Posted by rustykettel

So following up here. The three options were indeed offered. The breakfast offering was "continental a la carte". I asked the FDC what that was, and she began describing a standard continental breakfast. Still not quite sure what is actually served as there wasn't an option called "continental breakfast" on the menu prior. Since it doesn't seem to include full hot entres, and definitely not the buffet, I opted for points.

Not impressed with this supposed benefit improvement so far.
Thank you for the update.

The PVR Marriott has a great buffet in one restaurant and ala carte in the waterfront restaurant. Did they indicate which restaurant? I suspect they would have something continental like at the waterfront restaurant. Any idea whether you could get the full buffet for an upcharge?

The Westin PVR has a lounge ... with very limited choices and is more like a domestic US Marriott lounge .... but I've had poor luck with upgrades there. I suppose you could get the lounge and 1000 points per stay.

It's a shame properties can be so short sighted ... most consultants or business schools will tell a company that they make 80 percent of their profits from the top 20 percent of their customers and that driving business from that 20 percent is key.
Old Oct 8, 2018, 8:36 pm

Programs: ʙᴏɴᴠo̱ʏ Au, IHG Au, HH Dia, Nexus, Pilot FlyingJ Preferred
Thank you for the update.

The PVR Marriott has a great buffet in one restaurant and ala carte in the waterfront restaurant. Did they indicate which restaurant? I suspect they would have something continental like at the waterfront restaurant. Any idea whether you could get the full buffet for an upcharge?
They did not, nor any mention of an upcharge possible for anything more substantial. The a la carte/entree menu is the same in both restaurants for breakfast.
Old Oct 15, 2018, 10:27 am

Programs: EK Skywards Gold, TK Elite Plus, QR Platinum, Bonvoy Titanium
Welcome Gift Points vs Breakfast If There's a Lounge

So, I'm Platinum Premier Elite in the new program.

Hotels I used to stay in, all SPG hotels (Westin, Le Meridien, Sheraton) , after the merger, I see that I get my "welcome gift" points sometimes credited or sometimes not.

In all cases, the hotels have a lounge, and I have taken breakfast there (not in the restaurant).

I saw the new chart on welcome gifts, posted here: https://members.marriott.com/wp-cont...ift_Final2.pdf

But, my question is, if I take breakfast in the lounge, as Platinum Premier Elite, do I still quality for the welcome gift points? It seems ambiguous. Any one know the correct answer?

Also, under the new system, do the welcome gift points fall into the "Elite" or the "Extra" category when posting? I guess into "Extra"? I do much prefer the former way of points posting, when each point was clarified, welcome gift, green choice, etc. It was much easier, even though I didn't have to self-audit every single thing like I do now under the new program.
Old Oct 15, 2018, 11:02 am
ryw

Programs: DL GM, Marriott Titanium
(Caveat that I haven't stayed in an ex-SPG hotel with lounge since 8/18)
Horace put together a list of Platinum and PP welcome gifts and lounge benefits which are on the lounge master thread - https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/30125304-post2.html - your properties should fall into category 3. By the program rules, at a Westin, Le Meridien, or Sheraton with a lounge you should have the choice of either (1) have breakfast in the restaurant as your welcome gift, or (2) choose the points welcome gift, and do breakfast in the lounge. Did you confirm at check in that you wanted the welcome points instead of the restaurant breakfast?

Welcome points for me have posted under "extra" points (yes agreed, it's been a problem for several years on the ex-MAR side, that a lot of things get grouped into "extra" points and it's not clear what their breakdown is).
Old Oct 15, 2018, 11:24 am

Location: The place where it gets so hot in the summer some planes can't take off.
Programs: Marriott LT Titanium, WoH Globalist, National EE, United Platinum
Breakfast in the lounge is not considered a welcome amenity choice. Here's a list of breakfast benefits per brand.

2 - Brands with Lounges (hence breakfast is part of lounge access)

JW Marriott, Marriott, Renaissance, Autograph, Delta, Courtyard, Le Meridien, Sheraton & Westin

NB - Not all hotels have lounges, some CYs in Asia have lounges

Properties that offer free restaurant breakfast where lounge is closed

JW Marriott*, Marriott*, Renaissance*, Autograph*, Delta & Courtyard

(*A handful of each of these brands don’t offer weekend Plat breakfast, see erc’s list below)

Properties with lounges where free breakfast is a welcome amenity choice where lounge is closed

Le Meridien, Sheraton & Westin

3. Brands where in the absence of a lounge, breakfast is free in restaurant

JW Marriott, Marriott, Renaissance, Autograph & Delta

4. Brands where in the absence of a lounge, restaurant breakfast is a welcome amenity choice

Le Meridien, Sheraton & Westin

5. Brands where breakfast is a $10pp daily F&B welcome amenity choice

Moxy, AC & Courtyards without lounges (that’s almost all CYs worldwide!)

6. Brands where restaurant breakfast is a welcome amenity choice

St Regis, W, Luxury Collection, Tribute, Aloft, Four Points & Protea

7. ***Resort Brands*** with no Plat lounge access, restaurant breakfast is a welcome amenity choice

****Resorts**** JW Marriott, Marriott, Renaissance and Autograph ****Resorts****

8. Brands without any free breakfast for anyone, not ever!

Ritz Carlton, Design Hotels, Edition, Gaylord, Marriott Vacation Club & Marriott Grand Residences
sdsearch likes this.
Old Oct 16, 2018, 9:50 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

CY Sha Tin, Hong Kong. Property has lounge.

Can't post the image of P/PE benefit letter found in a recent stay report posted on Flyertea, the Chinese equivalent of Flyertalk. Summary below.

Lounge located at 30th floor, opens 6:00 to midnight.

Breakfast - Continental at Lounge (6 to 10:30) or Buffet at MoMo Cafe (2nd floor) (6:30 to 10:30)

Lounge - Canapes 5:30 to 7:30, Cocktail 5:30 to 9:30

P/PE can bring one guest at no charge.

Additional guest(s) are welcome, subj to capacity and surcharges (pretty expensive for what is offered - Continental breakfast at HKD176, Buffet HKD217.8, Happy Hours HKD198.)
Old Oct 16, 2018, 10:17 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: UALifetimePremierGold, Marriott LifetimeTitanium
Originally Posted by Happy
CY Sha Tin, Hong Kong. Property has lounge.

Can't post the image of P/PE benefit letter found in a recent stay report posted on Flyertea, the Chinese equivalent of Flyertalk. Summary below.

Lounge located at 30th floor, opens 6:00 to midnight.

Breakfast - Continental at Lounge (6 to 10:30) or Buffet at MoMo Cafe (2nd floor) (6:30 to 10:30)

Lounge - Canapes 5:30 to 7:30, Cocktail 5:30 to 9:30

P/PE can bring one guest at no charge.

Additional guest(s) are welcome, subj to capacity and surcharges (pretty expensive for what is offered - Continental breakfast at HKD176, Buffet HKD217.8, Happy Hours HKD198.)
My recommendation would be to post the above in the property thread. I'm not sure someone looking for info on a specific property is going to look in a generic breakfast offering explained thread.

Cheers.
Old Oct 17, 2018, 10:59 am

DP's on how this is implemented? I am at Renaissance Barcelona and was just told I would get standard american breakfast in the hotel restaurant. That is 24 euros. Could I usually apply this credit toward menu items? I have been in Europe for 2.5 weeks already and am sick of cold buffet items and sugary everything-else. Would love to order off the menu.

3. Brands where in the absence of a lounge, breakfast is free in restaurant

JW Marriott, Marriott, Renaissance, Autograph & Delta

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.