Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Hotels and Places to Stay > Marriott | Marriott Bonvoy
Reload this Page >

Let’s talk about alternatives to the SPG Amex after the massive Marriott devaluation

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Let’s talk about alternatives to the SPG Amex after the massive Marriott devaluation

Search this Thread

Old Aug 19, 2018, 11:57 pm

no offer here either

Originally Posted by ckelly14
I received an email. I have not seen it advertised. Maybe you can call Amex?
yup, have been a faithful AMEX spg user personal and business for many years - no offer here
Old Aug 20, 2018, 6:17 am

Originally Posted by mdcubsfan
yup, have been a faithful AMEX spg user personal and business for many years - no offer here
Have you stopped using the card? Perhaps mine was triggered by my monthly spend dropping so much....
Old Aug 20, 2018, 7:15 am

Programs: HHonors Gold, IHG Platinum, Marriott nobody
I also did not get the offer. I am still using the card occasionally. May be I should just put the card in the drawer to get AMEX's attention.
Old Aug 20, 2018, 8:30 am

Well, even Forbes thinks it's a "devaluation":

Marriott Set To Slash Earnings On The Popular Starwood Preferred Guest Credit Card
Old Aug 20, 2018, 1:09 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA EXP 3MM, Lifetime Platinum, Marriott Titanium, HH Gold
Is anyone going to continue using the SPG Business for cell phone bill and gas stations? (4x new points) Or better to switch everything over to Chase except SPG/Marriott spend?
Old Aug 20, 2018, 1:39 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K1.75MM, Hyatt Globalist, abandoned Marriott LTT (RIP SPG), Hertz PC
Originally Posted by ESpen36
Is anyone going to continue using the SPG Business for cell phone bill and gas stations? (4x new points) Or better to switch everything over to Chase except SPG/Marriott spend?
For cell phone you're better off w/the Chase Ink and it's 5x of a ~1.7 CPP currency

I think there's a better card out there for gas but drawing a blank on it...
ESpen36 likes this.
Old Aug 20, 2018, 5:13 pm

Programs: BAGold; AA3MMPlat; UA1MMGold; FBGold; MarriottAmb; AccorPlat; HHGold; ICPlatAmb; HyattDiscoverist
I just received the offer. I am glad to have it, but as I had not received it when other posters did, I assumed I would not get it, and put a VERY large non-bonus charge on CSR earlier today, so am a bit annoyed at the timing.
Old Aug 20, 2018, 10:37 pm

Programs: Former UA 1K, Hyatt Globalist
I have not received the offer. I am not using the SPG card. A couple of recurring charges did slip through this month. However, in the future it will only be kept active for the free night.
Old Aug 21, 2018, 11:05 pm

no offer

Originally Posted by ckelly14
Have you stopped using the card? Perhaps mine was triggered by my monthly spend dropping so much....
well, i went from a healthy 5 figures a month to none as of now (and 6 figure spend last month right before the devaluation), so we'll see if i get any offers....
Old Aug 22, 2018, 10:38 am

Location: Homosassa, FL & Ringwood, NJ -UA-G(Lifetime); SPG-Plat (Lifetime)
I have lost track and have a question.
I will be putting a 13,000 bill on a CC shortly.
I have the following options:
SPG Amex personal
Marriott Rewards Personal
Ritz Carlton Elite (450)

Which one or ones would get me the most Marriott points?
Old Aug 22, 2018, 4:02 pm

Programs: STARS/LUMINOUS, PRIVE, FSPP, STARS, MO FAN Club, PEN Club, Bellini Club
What is the conclusion on the alternative to SPG? Most of this thread is comparing the various Marriott options.
Old Aug 22, 2018, 4:38 pm

Programs: DL Platinum, AA Plat Pro, Bonvoy Lifetime Platinum, JetBlue Mosaic 3, Amtrak Select
Originally Posted by zakami
What is the conclusion on the alternative to SPG? Most of this thread is comparing the various Marriott options.
Sapphire Reserve + Freedom Unlimited if you like Ultimate Rewards or Amex EDP + Plat if you like Membership Rewards... and for just hotel focused folk, WOH Visa or Amex Hilton
Old Aug 22, 2018, 5:02 pm

Programs: SPG, AA, UAL, Hyatt, Amex Plat
Originally Posted by uppereastsider
Sapphire Reserve + Freedom Unlimited if you like Ultimate Rewards or Amex EDP + Plat if you like Membership Rewards... and for just hotel focused folk, WOH Visa or Amex Hilton
Pretty much agree with this although I don't think the World of Hyatt Visa is really a good pick . Sure, put it in your wallet for spend at Hyatt's and the free night can pay for the annual fee (and you get Discoverist status if you wouldn't get there otherwise) but I don't think there is really any reason to make it your regular spending card beyond that UNLESS you want to put enough spending on there to hit additional qualifying nights for higher tier status (5 qualifying nights out of the gate plus 2 more for each $5k).

Ultimate Rewards transfer (usually instantaneously) 1:1 to Hyatt Points and the CSR will earn 3x on travel and restaurants (obviously better than the 2x on the Hyatt Card on just airline and restaurants -- except at Hyatt properties where the Hyatt card does get 4x) while the Freedom Unlimited gets you 1.5x UR points on everything else (where the Hyatt is just 1 point per dollar).

EDIT: Forgot the gym membership category on the Hyatt Card... paying 2x so put that there instead of the Freedom Unlimited.
Old Aug 22, 2018, 8:39 pm

Programs: Bonvoy Titanium, SPG LTP
With all the website drama, I hadn't checked this thread for a few days. I come back to a 5th grade debate about whose dad would win in a fight.

As for my credit card strategy, picked up Chase Sapphire Reserve. Going to get Freedom Unlimited for everyday, use CSR for travel and dining, and keep my SPG Amex for SPG/Marriott spend only.
Old Aug 22, 2018, 9:07 pm

Programs: DL Platinum, AA Plat Pro, Bonvoy Lifetime Platinum, JetBlue Mosaic 3, Amtrak Select
Originally Posted by KParks
Pretty much agree with this although I don't think the World of Hyatt Visa is really a good pick . Sure, put it in your wallet for spend at Hyatt's and the free night can pay for the annual fee (and you get Discoverist status if you wouldn't get there otherwise) but I don't think there is really any reason to make it your regular spending card beyond that UNLESS you want to put enough spending on there to hit additional qualifying nights for higher tier status (5 qualifying nights out of the gate plus 2 more for each $5k).

Ultimate Rewards transfer (usually instantaneously) 1:1 to Hyatt Points and the CSR will earn 3x on travel and restaurants (obviously better than the 2x on the Hyatt Card on just airline and restaurants -- except at Hyatt properties where the Hyatt card does get 4x) while the Freedom Unlimited gets you 1.5x UR points on everything else (where the Hyatt is just 1 point per dollar).

EDIT: Forgot the gym membership category on the Hyatt Card... paying 2x so put that there instead of the Freedom Unlimited.
Agree - which is why my personal strategy is CFU for daily spend, CSR for dining/travel and Hyatt for gym and rent (earn qualifying nights - this year spending will bump me to 70 nights). SPG Amex has been moved to the sock drawer (I'm even using my CSR for SPG stays because I just rather earn UR than MR points), but wont be cancelled because I've had that card forever and I can easily find $95 dollars worth of value on the free night award.

Mentioned the Hyatt card for those who only want one credit card and want something with hotel benefits - if they someone stays at Hyatt around 19 nights a year, and spend 15k on the card for the year, they get 6 nights for spend and 5 for holding the card, plus an additional free night coupon for 15k and a bump to explorist - that could be compelling for some, especially for those who had 2 SPG Amex cards to push towards status.

But I personally believe CFU + CSR is the way to go for most people because of its simplicity and bonus categories (it's what I've recommended to friends and family), but there are many situations where earning MR is better and some will have much higher earning rates on the Plat with the 5x rate on flights booked directly and on hotels with amextravel

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.