Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Hotels and Places to Stay > Marriott | Marriott Bonvoy
Reload this Page >

Renaissance Sharm El Sheikh Golden View Beach Resort [Master Thread]

Renaissance Sharm El Sheikh Golden View Beach Resort [Master Thread]

Old Jan 14, 18, 5:52 am
  #1  
Original Poster
Marriott 5+ Badge
 
Join Date: Jan 2003
Programs: LH SEN**, Bonvoy Ambassador/LT Titanium
Posts: 1,394
Renaissance Sharm El Sheikh Golden View Beach Resort [Master Thread]

Since there does not seem to be a master thread about this hotel, I am creating a new one to include my recent experience here at the hotel.

General Information

This hotel is well situated in Sharm El Sheikh. It is well maintained. There is no club lounge, but there is platinum recognition (see below). The staff is very attentive and many speak Arabic, Russian and English. The hotel is located on a sloping hill, so there is some walking involved, if you do not want to use the complimentary golf cart shuttles. The complex has multiple pools, one of which is heated. There is direct beach access. The beach has a lot of corals, so most will prefer swimming beyond the reef. A new pier is being constructed and will be completed in around three weeks, which will allow exactly this. The beds were comfortable.

Rate Options

The bulk of the tourists that are here are staying on a package holiday. I would guess that 80% of the customers are not booking the hotel independently. Most of these have an all inclusive food package and some of them seem to also have a drinks package additionally which seems to be indicated by a brownish wristband.

Similarly as an independent booker, you can choose for a room only option, or go for an option that includes half-board, full-board are full-board (plus alcohol drinks). The latter option is the one we went for, which was around USD 200 for three persons in a suite. When we checked in we all received yellow wrist brands. I think this indicated our choice of packages however, it may have also indicated the fact that we were platinum guests. I am not quite sure.

Our "all inclusive lifestyle benefits" package included:
  • Breakfast (6:30-10:30), Lunch (13:00-15:00) and Dinner (18:00-21:00-different themes daily) at the Coast International Restaurant (buffet style)
  • Buffet snacks at the Zinzina Lounge Bar and Aqua Bar (outdoors) from 11:30-13:00 and 15:30-17:30.
  • Unlimited soft drinks, still water, juices, tea coffee, local red and white wine, local beer and local spirits from 11:00-23:00 at all F&B outlets
  • Ice cream at Zinzina Lounge Bar and Aqua Bar (outdoors) from 12:00-16:00.
  • 80 LE per adult credit for dinner at the a la carte restaurants La Casa (Italian) or Calamari (Seafood and outdoors).
  • One hour daytime usage of tennis court per stay
  • Espresso-based coffees are not included, as well as imported alcohol.
Food and Beverage Quality

As a side note, I would say that I like the Egyptian beer, but did not like the Egyptian coffee or wine. The Egyptian spirits are drinkable in a pinch and always as part of a long drink. Others may certainly have different tastes.

We mostly ate from the buffet restaurants and were generally happy with the quality. I am not a big fan of buffets but found the selection varied, tasty and offered reasonably healthy options. We never went to the a la carte restaurant, but did try out room service and were very happy with that.

Platinum Benefits

According to the sheet given to me a check in, these include for up to two people per room:
  • Upgrade to the next level (subject to availability)
  • Daily snacks at the Zizina Bar or Lobby Bar from 17:00-19:00. These apparently can be ordered from a menu. We never did this, since we never felt hungry enough to go there.
  • Daily happy hours (17:00-22:00) at the same two bars including 4 local drinks per person and unlimited soft drinks. We never used this, since drinks were already included in our package.
  • Late check-out up to 18:00
  • High speed internet in the room and public areas
  • Nightly room refreshment (I think they mean a secondary cleaning and not a drink, but I am not 100% sure)
Internet & Communication

I was speaking to Yasser from their IT who happened to cross my path. Apparently the hotel has invested a serious chunk of change into their internet connectivity. Each suite has two indoor access points and each room has an indoor access point. I found that the internet worked very well all over the property, both indoors and outdoors.

We also received a simple mobile phone to use during our stay to communicate with the hotel and make local calls. Not sure if that is related to the package or the suite. I actually only used it once.

Staff

Staff members are always willing to help and are very friendly. For my taste they were sometimes were a bit over attentive, but I prefer that over the "under"-alternative. Many of the managers would personally greet when they saw me. In particular the front desk manager, Hany, went out of his way to check up on us and our comfort.

Things to Do
  • Diving (on-site dive centre), snorkelling and swimming directly from the pier/beach
  • Fitness centre, tennis courts (extra cost), pools, bocci, table tennis, billiards (extra cost), beach volleyball, darts
  • Animation program that includes some of the above items, but also stretching, yoga, trivia nights, etc.
  • With a taxi you can go out to Sharm's nightlife. I only went to Hard Rock Cafe, but I was not really interested in exploring the nightlife.
Tip - Although this does not directly apply to this hotel, book your excursions and airport transfers online, if you are concerned about prices. The price inflation at the hotels is pretty impressive.

If you have any questions, please feel free to post them here.
CL9 and tpsmith82 like this.
cbellero is offline  
Old Jan 14, 18, 4:48 pm
  #2  
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend
 
Join Date: Aug 2002
Programs: UALifetimePremierGold, Marriott LifetimeTitanium
Posts: 66,643
Thanks for the detailed trip report & for starting a thread re: the property. Much appreciated.

Cheers.
SkiAdcock is offline  
Old Jan 14, 18, 6:11 pm
  #3  
Suspended
 
Join Date: Jun 2005
Programs: Delta Diamond, Marriott Ambassador & Lifetime Titanium, Hertz President's Circle, United Silver
Posts: 6,334
Egyptian wine?

What was the condition of the hotel itself? A friend stayed at one of the Marriott properties in Sharm El Sheikh in September and from the Facebook pictures it looked very tired.
hockeyinsider is offline  
Old Jan 14, 18, 9:35 pm
  #4  
Suspended
 
Join Date: Apr 2017
Programs: HH-D; MR-P/LTP; SPG-P
Posts: 849
Existed in Misr for 5000 years
Originally Posted by hockeyinsider View Post
Egyptian wine?

.
Srisarin is offline  
Old Jan 14, 18, 11:34 pm
  #5  
Original Poster
Marriott 5+ Badge
 
Join Date: Jan 2003
Programs: LH SEN**, Bonvoy Ambassador/LT Titanium
Posts: 1,394
Many of the Egyptian hotels, including the SPG and Marriott hotels, particularly in the strictly tourist areas, are tired. However, that does not apply to this property. I believe the owner is anticipating an uptick in tourism, because he is investing a lot of money into maintaining and upgrading the property - new wifi infrastructure, new swimming pier and a new oasis in 60 days from now (I am not sure what that will be - I presumed it would mean upgraded spa facilities).

The exterior and gardens are well maintained as was the interior of our room. I generally expect beach destinations to receive more wear and tear than business hotels. I truly felt they are doing a great job and keeping up. That said, I did not see or stay in the regular rooms where the wear and tear could be less contained.

Two other properties in Egypt that stood out with their high standards are the Westins in Hurghada and Cairo. I plan on providing updates about those properties separately.

Last edited by cbellero; Jan 14, 18 at 11:44 pm
cbellero is offline  
Old Nov 15, 18, 12:38 pm
  #6  
 
Join Date: Sep 2006
Location: somewhere between ORD and Willis Tower
Programs: UA MM, Premier Plat, Costco EM
Posts: 1,337
I just finished 5 nights there as a premium elite. My quick thoughts:

- very friendly and helpful staff
- very inexpensive - a premium seaview suite was $80USD all in
- breakfast buffet nice, but not super premium
- room had a kitchen with a washer / dryer
- some deferred maintenance, but property seemed kept
- if not on an all-inclusive plan, go to Naama Bay or Old Sharm for dinner ($5 cab ride each way)
- dive center on property was great, part of an Italian group of 5 dive centers, dives were awesome
- pools were great, property maybe 40-50% booked, lots of Ukranians, some germans and scandanavians
- coral reef off of beach fantastic

Overall, if you are a Marriott Elite, breakfast is the amenity, price can't beat (considered Four Seasons but was 4X the price), and if you set expectations, it's a good value
ordogg is offline  
Old Nov 15, 18, 11:38 pm
  #7  
Suspended
 
Join Date: Jun 2005
Programs: Delta Diamond, Marriott Ambassador & Lifetime Titanium, Hertz President's Circle, United Silver
Posts: 6,334
When is the best time to visit? Is it warm in the winter?
hockeyinsider is offline  
Old Dec 4, 18, 11:37 am
  #8  
Suspended
 
Join Date: Apr 2017
Programs: BA
Posts: 609
Originally Posted by cbellero View Post
Many of the Egyptian hotels, including the SPG and Marriott hotels, particularly in the strictly tourist areas, are tired. However, that does not apply to this property. I believe the owner is anticipating an uptick in tourism, because he is investing a lot of money into maintaining and upgrading the property - new wifi infrastructure, new swimming pier and a new oasis in 60 days from now (I am not sure what that will be - I presumed it would mean upgraded spa facilities).

The exterior and gardens are well maintained as was the interior of our room. I generally expect beach destinations to receive more wear and tear than business hotels. I truly felt they are doing a great job and keeping up. That said, I did not see or stay in the regular rooms where the wear and tear could be less contained.

Two other properties in Egypt that stood out with their high standards are the Westins in Hurghada and Cairo. I plan on providing updates about those properties separately.
Would you recommend this property over the proprieties in Hurghada in terms of most updated rooms and facilities?
BOStonTravels is offline  
Old Jan 15, 19, 2:42 am
  #9  
 
Join Date: May 2017
Posts: 202
Great review! Planning on going to Sharm in May with my wife. Just started looking at places to stay and saw your post. Looks like a nice property and at around $100 a night all inclusive for 2 seems like a steal. Couple of questions if you don't mind.

1. You mentioned corals at the beach, are these good for snorkeling or is the better elsewhere? And, is there any good beach swimming at all? We much prefer the natural sea to a pool. Did you use the dive center, if so what was the cost?

2. I read some other reviews of the marriott and they mentioned the pool AND beach closing at 6pm??? Seamed quite strange, but mentioned had to do with saftey. Are these pools and beaches also closing at such an early hour?

3. At an extra $15, for dinner, or $24 for all inclusive I would imagine this is a steal. However, someone mentioned old sharm and naama as a good alternative. Are these good spots to get cheap, authentic meals?

4. If we booked we would probobly book a garden view or a premium suite and hope for an upgrade to a sea view or premium sea view suite since we hold gold elite status. Any idea of the chances the upgrade would be available.

5. Lastly, I saw Marriott listed a Royal honeymoon package that included all sorts of great amenities. Since sharm is pretty quite these days, think they'd be willing to offer this to an already married couple?

Angain, thanks for the great review and help!
tpsmith82 is offline  
Old Jan 15, 19, 7:44 am
  #10  
Suspended
 
Join Date: Jun 2005
Programs: Delta Diamond, Marriott Ambassador & Lifetime Titanium, Hertz President's Circle, United Silver
Posts: 6,334
Originally Posted by tpsmith82 View Post
4. If we booked we would probobly book a garden view or a premium suite and hope for an upgrade to a sea view or premium sea view suite since we hold gold elite status. Any idea of the chances the upgrade would be available.
Gold elites are ineligible for suite upgrades under the terms and conditions of Marriott's post-August unified loyalty program. Of course, a property could still do it, but you should probably book the room you want instead of expecting an upgrade.

Originally Posted by tpsmith82 View Post
5. Lastly, I saw Marriott listed a Royal honeymoon package that included all sorts of great amenities. Since sharm is pretty quite these days, think they'd be willing to offer this to an already married couple?
Marriott has all kinds of packages, including gay pride packages but they are in no way limited. Anyone can book them.
hockeyinsider is offline  
Old Jan 15, 19, 2:40 pm
  #11  
 
Join Date: May 2017
Posts: 202
Thanks for the replies

Originally Posted by hockeyinsider View Post
Gold elites are ineligible for suite upgrades under the terms and conditions of Marriott's post-August unified loyalty program. Of course, a property could still do it, but you should probably book the room you want instead of expecting an upgrade.
I guess I though if I booked a suite, then I could be upgraded to same class, just better floor, view, etc. Now If I book a non-suite I understand I will not get upgraded to a suite. Is my thinking incorrect?

Originally Posted by hockeyinsider View Post
Marriott has all kinds of packages, including gay pride packages but they are in no way limited. Anyone can book them.
Well, I figured I could book it, just not sure if there would be an issue at check-in. when you click on the package details, it say a recent marriage certificate is needed.??
tpsmith82 is offline  
Old Jan 15, 19, 2:42 pm
  #12  
Suspended
 
Join Date: Jun 2005
Programs: Delta Diamond, Marriott Ambassador & Lifetime Titanium, Hertz President's Circle, United Silver
Posts: 6,334
Originally Posted by tpsmith82 View Post
Well, I figured I could book it, just not sure if there would be an issue at check-in. when you click on the package details, it say a recent marriage certificate is needed.??
I've never seen that before. Most of the time, the packages are marked up enough that the hotel doesn't care because you're paying for whatever they give you. So who cares?
hockeyinsider is offline  
Old Jan 16, 19, 2:29 am
  #13  
Original Poster
Marriott 5+ Badge
 
Join Date: Jan 2003
Programs: LH SEN**, Bonvoy Ambassador/LT Titanium
Posts: 1,394
Originally Posted by tpsmith82 View Post
Great review! Planning on going to Sharm in May with my wife. Just started looking at places to stay and saw your post. Looks like a nice property and at around $100 a night all inclusive for 2 seems like a steal. Couple of questions if you don't mind.

1. You mentioned corals at the beach, are these good for snorkeling or is the better elsewhere? And, is there any good beach swimming at all? We much prefer the natural sea to a pool. Did you use the dive center, if so what was the cost?

2. I read some other reviews of the marriott and they mentioned the pool AND beach closing at 6pm??? Seamed quite strange, but mentioned had to do with saftey. Are these pools and beaches also closing at such an early hour?

3. At an extra $15, for dinner, or $24 for all inclusive I would imagine this is a steal. However, someone mentioned old sharm and naama as a good alternative. Are these good spots to get cheap, authentic meals?

4. If we booked we would probobly book a garden view or a premium suite and hope for an upgrade to a sea view or premium sea view suite since we hold gold elite status. Any idea of the chances the upgrade would be available.

5. Lastly, I saw Marriott listed a Royal honeymoon package that included all sorts of great amenities. Since sharm is pretty quite these days, think they'd be willing to offer this to an already married couple?

Angain, thanks for the great review and help!
It has been a year since I stayed, but I will try my best to tackle your questions.

1. The snorkelling would be basic from the pier. There are some fish to be seen. I did not use the dive center.
2. I cannot really comment on the closing times. However, my first thought was that 6PM may seem early to you, but the sun also sets earlier than you may expect in Egypt (around 5 PM). This might explain the safety concerns. On the other hand the sun rises around 6:30 am. If you adjust your schedule accordingly then you have plenty of sunshine hours.
3. If economics only plays a role then you need to include the transportation costs to the restaurants. I am sure that there are some nice paces to go. Just I do not know any. Most of what I saw was touristy.
4. Unfortunately I only have one experience and would not want to generalise based upon it. I did generally feel that they went out of their way for platinum guests, if that at all helps.
5. No idea. I would call them and be upfront about it. Perhaps they are willing. Perhaps you can try the angle that you are going for a romantic renewal of your vows?

Enjoy your travels!
cbellero is offline  
Old Feb 1, 19, 3:34 pm
  #14  
 
Join Date: Sep 2006
Location: Moscow
Programs: Marriott Plat, IHG Plat Amb
Posts: 1,157
Just completed a 7-day stay here. Can mostly agree with what's posted above. Some quick points:
Platinum recognition 5/5 - booked cheapest room, got a suite w/separate bedroom, kitchenette, etc., though no washing machine (could've used it)
Hotel condition 4/5 - shows some signs of age, but generally well-kept with some recent updates (wi-fi, gym equipment)
F&B 2.5/5 - buffets repetitive & mediocre quality given price paid ($95/night single room all-inclusive) - you can get better value for money in many other hotels in Sharm-el-Sheikh. Room serivce orders were far better, price reasonable. Booking BB or even RO (for Platinums) does not really save money as the AI surcharge is small
Many Arab/local guests, besides the usual ex-USSR and EU visitors.

I really wanted to stay a few nights afterwards at the Sheraton for comparasion - Sheraton is cheaper, but reportedly in worse condition. Couldn't due to personal reasons
Temedar is offline  
Old Nov 9, 19, 5:34 pm
  #15  
Used to be 'flymanbeast'
 
Join Date: Jul 2011
Programs: Delta silver/marriot platinum
Posts: 2,739
Is it mostly arabs or mostly euro/russians ?
howtofreetravel is offline  

Thread Tools
Search this Thread
Search Engine: