Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Hotels and Places to Stay > Marriott | Marriott Bonvoy
Reload this Page >

Best W in the World -- what are your favorites?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Mar 16, 2019, 5:17 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: helvetic
Other threads:
- W: https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/marriott-marriott-bonvoy/1873459-best-w-world-what-your-favorites.html
- Le Méridien: https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/marriott-marriott-bonvoy/1874601-favorite-le-meridien-property-worldwide.html
- St. Regis: https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/marriott-marriott-bonvoy/1873977-favorite-st-regis-worldwide.html
- Luxury Collection: https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/marriott-marriott-bonvoy/1874737-best-luxury-collection-hotel-world-what-your-favorites.html
- Tribute Portfolio: https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/marriott-marriott-bonvoy/1874739-best-tribute-portfolio-hotel-world-what-your-favorites.html
- Four Points: https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/marriott-marriott-bonvoy/1874857-best-four-points-world-what-your-favorites.html
- Westin: https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/marriott-marriott-bonvoy/1874858-best-westin-world-what-your-favorites.html
- Sheraton: https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/marriott-marriott-bonvoy/1874860-best-sheraton-world-what-your-favorites.html
- Design Hotels: https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/marriott-marriott-bonvoy/1874863-best-design-hotel-world-what-your-favorites.html
- Aloft: https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/marriott-marriott-bonvoy/1874918-best-aloft-world-what-your-favorites.html
- Renaissance: https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/marriott-marriott-bonvoy/1963254-best-renaissance-world-what-your-favorites.html
Print Wikipost

Best W in the World -- what are your favorites?

Search this Thread

Old Jul 14, 2018, 4:42 pm
Original Poster
Marriott 5+ BadgeHyatt Contributor Badge

Programs: UA 1K, AA EXP; Marriott Amb; Hyatt Globalist; Shangri-la Diamond; IHG SpireAmb; Hilton D; Accor G
So I've tried all the Ws in NYC now, including the defunct original W, and wow… are they all garbage. I miss me some international Ws… Bali, AMS, HK, etc.
Old Jul 14, 2018, 7:17 pm

Programs: World of Hyatt Globalist; Marriott Bonvoy LTP; IHG Plat
Originally Posted by helvetic
So I've tried all the Ws in NYC now, including the defunct original W, and wow… are they all garbage. I miss me some international Ws… Bali, AMS, HK, etc.
stayed at w new york downtown many times. Found it quite good with reasonable price.
Old Jul 14, 2018, 7:30 pm
SPG 5+ Badge

Programs: Marriott Ambassador, Lifetime Titanium, Delta Plat, Hilton Diamond , Hyatt Globalist
As it turns out both the Ws we tried in the last 12 months were wonderful-- The W Austin and the W Verbier. We definitely would stay at both properties again.

Although we are visiting Barcelona and Madrid next March we opted for different hotels (Hotel Arts and Palace in Madrid).
We probably will have a drink in the W bars at least and check them out.

We are going to stay at the W Seattle in October. We had a very nice stay last time after the renovation.
Old Jul 16, 2018, 2:29 pm

Programs: UA Premier Platinum, Marriott Bonvoy Titanium Elite (Lifetime Platinum), HHonors Gold
Although, admittedly, I've only been to maybe 6-8 Ws, my absolute favorite was W Singapore Sentosa, with W Hong Kong in second place.
Old Jul 16, 2018, 7:39 pm

Originally Posted by alanslegal
Who remembers the W Honolulu? I miss that place!!
I am neither a W guy nor a Hawaii guy. But, as Ws and Hawaii go, that's the one W Hotel I remember fondly.
emikelaw likes this.
Old Jul 22, 2018, 4:51 pm
Original Poster

Programs: UA 1K, AA EXP; Marriott Amb; Hyatt Globalist; Shangri-la Diamond; IHG SpireAmb; Hilton D; Accor G
About to try one of the frequently mentioned Ws on this list; mostly *because* of its mentions here. Anyone have any particular tips re: the W Barcelona?
Old Jul 22, 2018, 8:34 pm

Programs: Marriott Titanium & Lifetime Platinum, United Platinum, Delta Silver
Great
- Minneapolis Foshay - great rooms, fun historic building, museum and roof deck, great vibe

Good
- San Francisco - fun lobby bar, rooms not as dark as most Ws
- NY Times Square - fantastic views of the city, often get suites as a Plat, rooms big for NY, still has a fun vibe
- Atlanta Downtown - very and sleek modern, still looks new, large rooms, still has a fun vibe
- Chicago Lakeshore - rooms are smaller but the renovation has helped a lot, good bar

Okay
- Boston - rooms are big but sparsely furnished / non-functional
- Chicago City Center - I really like this hotel but the rooms are ready for an update

Gross
- Atlanta Buckhead - this feels like you are in a Vera Bradley ad and the rooms are unbelievably small. Stay at the Westin or The Whitley if you need to be in Buckhead
- Atlanta Midtown - used to love this one but the rooms have gotten disgusting and desperately need an upgrade and the restaurant / food service has gone severely downhill. Good location but I will always pick Atlanta Downtown if it's available

Gone
- W Seoul - amazing rooms and lobby, far out location though
- Atlanta Perimeter - was really weird with the full sized kitchens, though I love the completely renovated hotel as the Le Meridien now
- NY Lexington - this was gross for the last several years and rooms were crushingly small. I'm glad it's gone
Old Jul 23, 2018, 4:08 pm
Original Poster

Well… I'm currently checked in at the W Barcelona and it's leading me to wonder why y'all are giving this place such praises. Yes, the hard product is nice. But the check-in service was dreadful, the internet is pretty much the worst I've experienced in years… I've literally switched to tethering to my T-mobile international plan because it works more reliably. Also, it's way overpriced.
arjen05 likes this.
Old Jul 23, 2018, 10:11 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Glad to see the love for the W Hong Kong. Has been the only hotel I've stayed at in HK in the small handful of times I've been there since shortly after the hotel opened. Love the breakfast, pool, and sauna/steam/spa (and rooms!). Agree that location isn't great if you want to walk to somewhere interesting (e.g., TST area), but being on top of the Airport Express and the MTR makes getting practically anywhere very easy (well, except TST I guess!). I think being on the Elements mall is probably better than being on top of Pacific Place.

Loved the W Bali as well, especially the nightime drive in the golf carts in from the main road, like a ride at Disney! Great beachfront views and lovely pool area. And they had one SICK Sunday brunch! Yum.
TheFlyingKangaroo likes this.
Old Jul 24, 2018, 3:59 pm

W Taipei Taiwan. I still dream about that breakfast buffet lol
Old Jul 27, 2018, 7:52 am

Programs: AA PLT 3.8MM, UA 1k, Marriott Plat, SPG Plat

I have stayed at many Ws and just left a great stay at the W Barcelona.

My tops are the:

W Shanghai. Last stayed 6/18 I had a great stay here. The rooms, view, the pools are bar none the best and its all brand new. Excellent massages in spa
W Maldives - 6/17 great staff, food, and the reef around the hotel had the best snorkeling and diving I have seen anywhere. I took some dives off a boat further out but saw just as much near the hotel. Excellent spa. Crazy expensive, I stayed on points. Negatives was despite the hotel trying to set a party vibe was a NYC DJ, pool parties, and such the mostly Asian guests didn’t seem to leave their rooms (they were mostly honeymooners). Every pool party was my wife and I and 2 other western couples much to the GM and staffs chagrin
W - Hong Kong Great hotel, short stay -best Sunday Brunch I have ever seen. I stayed in 2012 so a bit dated.
W Barcelona 7/18 great property and a wonderful staff. Make sure you get the beach view. Also, there is a second pool with great view you might miss if you don’t wonder around the property. The club upstairs has a so so crowd. Better options in the city. Its a bit overpriced vs other great options but if you use points like I did then it doesn’t matter. Lastly the location is great for going to beach but it sucks for everything else. No close metro stop and there is a 10-15 minute taxi penalty to to get out of that area and into the core of Barcelona to experience all the things the city has to offer. In the winter I would definitely not stay here. Better to go with location to get around.
W South Beach. I keep coming back here for the nice rooms and pool vibes. As a former South Beach resident from the 90s, this hotel keeps me from skipping what SoBe has become to stay elsewhere in Miami

W Austin I had a nice suite here and loved our stay. Great location in a fabulous city. The bar scene was good as well.
W Seattle - Meh. nothing special. When I go back I stay elsewhere
W Bellevue. I liked this property. Nice bar and mall attached
W Times Sq. Ok if you need to stay in times sq. I most recently skipped it and did the SPG chatwal - better,’
W SF - Great for moscone center access. Nothing special

I have stayed at a couple others but cant remember much about them. Couple of notes, Some place I travel but avoid the W are London and Amsterdam. I don’t like the areas those hotels are in.

Old Aug 3, 2018, 1:03 pm
Original Poster

Have you stayed at the W AMS? It's one of the best. The location is not bad at all, either.
Old Aug 25, 2018, 3:43 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by MaxFlying
Another vote for the W Bogota. Great restaurant, great bar, great service, friendly staff. Stayed on points and amazing upgrade to huge penthouse suite.
Based on the few mentions in here, will be staying at the W Bogota next week!
bhrubin likes this.
Old Aug 25, 2018, 6:09 pm

Programs: AA Exec Plat, SPG Plat, HHonors Diamaond
And platinum recognition as well. Had some great stays there.
bhrubin likes this.
Old Aug 25, 2018, 9:17 pm
Suspended
Marriott 25+ BadgeAman Contributor Badge

Programs: Marriott Ambassador and LTT, UA Plat/LT Gold, AA Gold
My stay wasn’t perfect, but it still was a fantastic stay for the price.

I’m very curious to see if you love it as much as I did. The concierge team, in particular, was world class.

I loved Bogota. Hope you do, too,

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.