Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Hotels and Places to Stay > Marriott | Marriott Bonvoy
Reload this Page >

Best W in the World -- what are your favorites?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Mar 16, 2019, 5:17 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: helvetic
Other threads:
- W: https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/marriott-marriott-bonvoy/1873459-best-w-world-what-your-favorites.html
- Le Méridien: https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/marriott-marriott-bonvoy/1874601-favorite-le-meridien-property-worldwide.html
- St. Regis: https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/marriott-marriott-bonvoy/1873977-favorite-st-regis-worldwide.html
- Luxury Collection: https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/marriott-marriott-bonvoy/1874737-best-luxury-collection-hotel-world-what-your-favorites.html
- Tribute Portfolio: https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/marriott-marriott-bonvoy/1874739-best-tribute-portfolio-hotel-world-what-your-favorites.html
- Four Points: https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/marriott-marriott-bonvoy/1874857-best-four-points-world-what-your-favorites.html
- Westin: https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/marriott-marriott-bonvoy/1874858-best-westin-world-what-your-favorites.html
- Sheraton: https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/marriott-marriott-bonvoy/1874860-best-sheraton-world-what-your-favorites.html
- Design Hotels: https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/marriott-marriott-bonvoy/1874863-best-design-hotel-world-what-your-favorites.html
- Aloft: https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/marriott-marriott-bonvoy/1874918-best-aloft-world-what-your-favorites.html
- Renaissance: https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/marriott-marriott-bonvoy/1963254-best-renaissance-world-what-your-favorites.html
Print Wikipost

Best W in the World -- what are your favorites?

Search this Thread

Old Aug 31, 2018, 4:01 pm

Currently at the W Bogota, really enjoying it so far. It’s my first W experience and I don’t usually like hotels rooms that are non conventional, which this definitely is, but its still functional and looks great. The staff has been excellent too.

I guess the the only downside would be if you wanted to take a bath with privacy...
bhrubin likes this.
Old Aug 31, 2018, 4:08 pm
Suspended
Marriott 25+ BadgeAman Contributor Badge

Programs: Marriott Ambassador and LTT, UA Plat/LT Gold, AA Gold
Originally Posted by sethMCOflyer
Currently at the W Bogota, really enjoying it so far. It’s my first W experience and I don’t usually like hotels rooms that are non conventional, which this definitely is, but its still functional and looks great. The staff has been excellent too.

I guess the the only downside would be if you wanted to take a bath with privacy...
Glad you’re enjoying it. How’s the food/beverage, especially with breakfast and just regular dining in the restaurants? We had some issues with the restaurants but otherwise loved this hotel.

Hope the concierge team is as amazing as when we stayed?

It’s definitely one of the best W properties IMO.
Old Aug 31, 2018, 11:09 pm

I was thinking of whether or not I should save some points and stay at the W Hong Kong over my current reservation at the Renaissance in Wan Chai on the Island. My biggest thing was the view from the room (skyline/harbor) and convenience, as others have alluded to getting around in TST from W is so horrible but getting to the island is fine!

Anyone can further comment on their experiences with the W Hong Kong? I would also need 2 beds so that may limit my options as a platinum member (if suite upgrades are even possible here).
Old Sep 1, 2018, 6:20 am
Marriott Contributor Badge

Programs: Marriott Ti/LTP
Originally Posted by an1030
I was thinking of whether or not I should save some points and stay at the W Hong Kong over my current reservation at the Renaissance in Wan Chai on the Island. My biggest thing was the view from the room (skyline/harbor) and convenience, as others have alluded to getting around in TST from W is so horrible but getting to the island is fine!

Anyone can further comment on their experiences with the W Hong Kong? I would also need 2 beds so that may limit my options as a platinum member (if suite upgrades are even possible here).
A cool corner room at the W is a great view, better than anything on HK island. However, the location is useless and there is no lounge if you're into that.
an1030 likes this.
Old Sep 1, 2018, 11:51 am

Originally Posted by GoSh4rks

A cool corner room at the W is a great view, better than anything on HK island. However, the location is useless and there is no lounge if you're into that.
I always thought the Ritz south of the W would always be in the way no matter which room you had facing the Island though but I would not know based off experience!

Thanks for the note about the lounge.
Old Sep 1, 2018, 7:32 pm
Original Poster
Marriott 5+ BadgeHyatt Contributor Badge

Programs: UA 1K, AA EXP; Marriott Amb; Hyatt Globalist; Shangri-la Diamond; IHG SpireAmb; Hilton D; Accor G
Originally Posted by sethMCOflyer

I'm checking in tomorrow — maybe we'll be there at the same time.

Applied 2 SNAs (my first use of them all year) and they cleared me into a fantastic suite!
bhrubin likes this.
Old Sep 1, 2018, 7:34 pm
Original Poster
Marriott 5+ BadgeHyatt Contributor Badge

Programs: UA 1K, AA EXP; Marriott Amb; Hyatt Globalist; Shangri-la Diamond; IHG SpireAmb; Hilton D; Accor G
Originally Posted by an1030

W HK over Renaissance any day. Starwood has some fun design hotel properties too that might be options these days, I'm fond of the Mira and Mira Moon.

The location for the W is not as bad as people say. Yeah, you need to take a cheap taxi to get to TST… but in return, you get to be located right upstairs from Kowloon Station with the Airport Express and a very easy way to get to Central. The views are amazing, too.

The "Ritz" (i.e. the ICC) is in the way, sure, but don't think of it as a bad thing. You basically get an extra gorgeous tower in your view, while still being able to see some of the HK Island view. See photo attached for one of the shittier views from a lower floor. Personally find the port views to be mesmerizing, too.
Attached Images  
an1030 likes this.

Last edited by helvetic; Sep 1, 2018 at 7:39 pm
Old Sep 2, 2018, 12:19 am

Originally Posted by helvetic
W HK over Renaissance any day. Starwood has some fun design hotel properties too that might be options these days, I'm fond of the Mira and Mira Moon.

The location for the W is not as bad as people say. Yeah, you need to take a cheap taxi to get to TST… but in return, you get to be located right upstairs from Kowloon Station with the Airport Express and a very easy way to get to Central. The views are amazing, too.

The "Ritz" (i.e. the ICC) is in the way, sure, but don't think of it as a bad thing. You basically get an extra gorgeous tower in your view, while still being able to see some of the HK Island view. See photo attached for one of the shittier views from a lower floor. Personally find the port views to be mesmerizing, too.
Do you know if the SNA works in this hotel? Seems like trying to book the W Hong Kong redirects me to the SPG site which then asks me to call in.

Do platinum members generally get an upgrade pending availability?
Old Sep 2, 2018, 10:04 am

Originally Posted by helvetic
I'm checking in tomorrow — maybe we'll be there at the same time.

Applied 2 SNAs (my first use of them all year) and they cleared me into a fantastic suite!
Awesome, we were in the marvelous suite which is a bit smaller but potentially has a better view. I hope your stay is as good as ours. It took about a day to start to understand the city, after that I loved it.

Originally Posted by bhrubin

Glad you’re enjoying it. How’s the food/beverage, especially with breakfast and just regular dining in the restaurants? We had some issues with the restaurants but otherwise loved this hotel.

Hope the concierge team is as amazing as when we stayed?

It’s definitely one of the best W properties IMO.
For the first two days we had the same waitress for breakfast who was top notch. On our last day we had someone else and they were definitely not, not sure if there was a language barrier or not but he would seem to understand things like “more coffee please” and then never return with coffee. Service at the w lounge was a bit slower but the cocktails were excellent.

Conceriege Javier was great, the best I’ve encountered outside of a few places in Vietnam.
bhrubin likes this.
Old Jun 4, 2021, 4:41 pm

Programs: AA EXP; DL Platinum, Marriott Titanium, Hilton Diamond, Hyatt Globalist (marriage perk)
Stayed only in W Taipei but were blown away. Till this day I remember the breakfast which rendered me immobile! They have ice cream section for breakfast. Suite we got was also enormous.
anteater likes this.
Old Jun 6, 2021, 11:40 am

Programs: Bonvoy :Ambassador , ALL :Diamond, Skywards :Silver, Krisflyer :Silver
3 W so far.

The good:
W Bali Seminyak - Wonderful hotel with great view. Staff are great as well.
W Sentosa Singapore - Another wonderful hotel although the location is pretty far from everything else in Sentosa Island.

The bad:
W Hollywood - Stayed there as SPG Platinum and the experience was very underwhelming. Some of the staff are borderline rude although there are some friendlies there. Staff seems to be reluctant to extend the elite benefit. Asked for 2pm checkout was refused on the first time, and after I let the staff know about my status then they have to check the availability. No upgrade for the stay.

The bucket list
Would love to try the newly opened W Melbourne and W Sydney when they finally finish the building.
pazza2000 likes this.
Old Jun 9, 2021, 2:25 pm
In Memoriam, FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA EXP/MM, DL GM, UA Platinum, HH DIA, Hyatt Explorist, IHG Platinum, Marriott Titanium, Hertz PC
The W Miami, the one downtown not the one in South Beach, has some great suites. I had a really nice stay there last year.
Old Jun 10, 2021, 5:31 am

Originally Posted by kaizen7
3 W so far.

The good:
W Bali Seminyak - Wonderful hotel with great view. Staff are great as well.
W Sentosa Singapore - Another wonderful hotel although the location is pretty far from everything else in Sentosa Island.

The bad:
W Hollywood - Stayed there as SPG Platinum and the experience was very underwhelming. Some of the staff are borderline rude although there are some friendlies there. Staff seems to be reluctant to extend the elite benefit. Asked for 2pm checkout was refused on the first time, and after I let the staff know about my status then they have to check the availability. No upgrade for the stay.

The bucket list
Would love to try the newly opened W Melbourne and W Sydney when they finally finish the building.
Agreed re. W Hollywood, least favourite W. W Westwood (West Beverly Hills) isn’t great either, a shame because that city is a good fit for a W and it was one of the first cities to house one.

Favourite W is probably Barcelona, looking forward to trying out the new W Rome in time (hopefully it’s a Cat 7 and not Cat 8)
Old Jun 10, 2021, 9:14 pm
Hilton Contributor BadgeHyatt Contributor Badge

Programs: Hyatt Globalist, Bonvoy LT Plat, Hilton Gold, GHA Tit, BA Gold, Turkish Elite
My ratings:

Excellent:
Brisbane

Good:
Punta de Mita
Koh Samui
Dubai - the Palm
Bali (barely)
Barcelona (sometimes bad)
Hong Kong
Santiago

OK:
South Beach
Bangkok
Mexico City
Panama
Amsterdam (the spa saved it, as their interior designers certainly didn't)
Scottsdale
San Francisco
Hoboken
New York - Union Square
Austin

Bad:
W Los Angeles - Beverly Hills
Atlanta - Midtown
Atlanta - Downtown
Chicago - City Center
Chicago - Lakeshore
New Orleans - French Quarter
New York - Times Square

Terrible:
Istanbul
London
W Hollywood

Now closed:
W New York (Lex) - Terrible
pazza2000 likes this.
Old Jun 11, 2021, 5:51 am

Originally Posted by EuropeanPete
My ratings:

Excellent:
Brisbane

Good:
Punta de Mita
Koh Samui
Dubai - the Palm
Bali (barely)
Barcelona (sometimes bad)
Hong Kong
Santiago

OK:
South Beach
Bangkok
Mexico City
Panama
Amsterdam (the spa saved it, as their interior designers certainly didn't)
Scottsdale
San Francisco
Hoboken
New York - Union Square
Austin

Bad:
W Los Angeles - Beverly Hills
Atlanta - Midtown
Atlanta - Downtown
Chicago - City Center
Chicago - Lakeshore
New Orleans - French Quarter
New York - Times Square

Terrible:
Istanbul
London
W Hollywood

Now closed:
W New York (Lex) - Terrible
That’s a lot of W stays! Heard great things about the W Brisbane (but it’s in Brisbane).

Out of interest, what was terrible about London and Istanbul stays? Had good stays in both personally. W Hollywood I’m on board with your rating.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.