Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Hotels and Places to Stay > Marriott | Marriott Bonvoy
Reload this Page >

Design Hotels: Anyone that goes over and above requirements to recognise Elites?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Jul 19, 2017, 2:40 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: escape4
Below are Design Hotels, listed by Region/Country/City, along with better experiences than the stated official SPG Platinum recognition, for those who have stayed.

Please edit to add in your own additional Design Hotels, as well as any additional experiences at those already listed.
Pls include the month/year of your stay as well.

FORMAT:

Region/Country/City, HOTEL NAME, SPG Plat (over and above) experience or recognition given.
--each experience with month/year if possible
- the type of upgrade, any other form of Plat recognition(free breakfast, special Plat amenities other than 500 points, evening drinks, etc?).

Thanks!

ASIA & PACIFIC

Australia

Bangladesh

China

Guam

Hong Kong SAR
HK Island - Ovolo Southside
Not a Platinum benefit specifically but important to note that all guests get Platinum-equivalent benefits including free goodie bag (sweets), mini bar including beer, breakfast (best described as continental) and - most crucially - two hours happy hour booze in the lobby bar every day if you book direct with them by email quoting your SPG number (you will get the points and nights credited to your SPG account).

India
Delhi - The Park Hotel New Delhi (7/17)
--upgrade to Suite - not huge but still a proper one with separate sleeping and living room, comp wine, fruits, pralines

Indonesia

Japan

Korea

Macau SAR

Malaysia

Maldives

Singapore
Wanderlust (11/17)
--no upgrade or other benefits

Taiwan

Thailand
Library (5/19)
--Will upgrade one category from studio to suite only. All reservations for room categories suite or above (bookmark, secret pool villa, etc.) will not be upgraded.

Vietnam

CENTRAL & SOUTH AMERICA

Argentina

Brazil

Chile

Colombia

Costa Rica

Ecuador

Panama

Paraguay

Peru

Uruguay

EUROPE

Austria
Vienna - Das Triest, Vienna (7/17)
--One upgraded to their nicest suite, another time nothing
Vienna - DO&CO, Vienna (7/17)
--Upgrade to a room with slightly better room, welcome treatment
Vienna - The Guesthouse, Vienna (7/17)
--great boutique hotel but no upgrades or other benefits. Seems like it left SPG.
Hotel Zhero, Ischgl/Kappl
--got their Presidential Suite (but thanks to BRG), no other benefits (7/17)
- upgraded from superior room to junior suite (4/19)

Belgium

Croatia

Czech Republic

Finland

France

Georgia
Tbilisi - Rooms Hotel, Tbilisi (7/17)
--bottle of wine and bowl of local fruits (much nicer than typical fruit bowls)

Germany
- Sir Savigny Berlin: upgraded to a higher cat room (SPG Gold) (7/17)

Greece
- Fresh Hotel Athens: upgraded to a suite (SPG Gold) (7/17)

Hungary

Iceland
ION Adventure Hotel, Nesjavellir (7/17)
--no Upgrades or other benefits

Ireland

Italy
Nira Montana, La Thuile
--no upgrade or other benefits (7/17)
--no upgrade or other benefits (2/19)

Malta

Netherlands
Amsterdam - Sir Adam Hotel, Amsterdam (7/17)
--Upgrade to a city view room on high floor. Free disc. Welcome drinks.
Rotterdam - Mainport, Rotterdam (7/17)
--Upgrade to larger rooms with harbour views

Poland

Portugal

Russia

Serbia

Slovakia

Spain
Barcelona - The Grand Hotel Barcelona (7/17) - appears to upgrade Platinums to the best available non-suite, based on a few stays there. They also make an effort to specifically recognize Platinum status at check-in, for those who notice these kinds of things.

Sweden
Stockholm - Miss Clara by Nobis, Stockholm (2016/summer)
- upgraded to a loft suite and provided a welcome amenity

Switzerland
The Cambrian, Adelboden (7/17)
--Upgrade to Junior Suite and fruites/cake & late checkout.

Giardino Lago, Minusio-Locarno (7/17)
--Upgrade to bigger room and breakfast not charged for award stay

Giardino Ascona (6/19)
--Two category upgrade from entry level room to Double South room type. Breakfast would not be free for Platinum or above if booking with points but is included with cash rates for all guests.

HUUS, Gstaad (7/17)
--Upgrade to a room with better view

Turkey

United Kingdom
London - Town Hall Hotel, London (7/17)
--Upgrade to a suite

Ukraine

MIDDLE EAST & AFRICA

Egypt

Kuwait

Qatar

Saudi Arabia

Seychelles

South Africa.

United Arab Emirates

NORTH AMERICA - CANADA

NORTH AMERICA - MEXICO

NORTH AMERICA - UNITED STATES

(Please help to plug these into correct countries->cities. Thank you)

LOISIUM, Langenlois (7/17)
--larger room with better views

LOISIUM, Ehrenhausen (7/17)
--upgrade to largest suites (2x), late check out and free transport to the train station

Nira Alpina, Silvaplana (7/17)
--Upgrade to Garden Room

Papaya Playa Project, Tulum (7/17)
--nicer sea view bungalow

Praia Verde Boutique Hotel, casrro Marim (7/17)
--no Upgrade, but standard rooms are suites

Rosas & Xocolate Merida (7/17)
--Upgrade to a suite

La Semilla, Playa del Carmen (7/17)
--Upgrade to a bigger room and breakfast for free on Award stays (all guests get BF)

Villa Monte, Moncarapacho (7/17)
--Upgrade to a nicer room with a better view, no charge for breakfast
Print Wikipost

Design Hotels: Anyone that goes over and above requirements to recognise Elites?

Search this Thread

Old Jul 21, 2017, 1:07 am
Marriott 10+ BadgeHilton Contributor Badge

Programs: Bonvoy LT Gold, IHG Gold, BAEC Silver, TP Silver
Well I was not Plat yet when I stayed at the below but as a Gold, I did get a few perks:

- Sir Savigny Berlin: upgraded to a higher cat room
- Fresh Hotel Athens: upgraded to a suite

I agree with thomasito though, most of these DH are small, cozy and feel personal compared to most chain hotels. I think the only thing I'd appreciate (but don't expect) from a DH is an upgrade, any upgrade.
Old Jul 27, 2017, 3:57 am
Original Poster

Programs: Marriott & SPG Plat, HH Diamond, Accor Plat, ex-Fairmont Plat, ex-Swissotel Eleva
Updated Sir Savigny Berlin and Fresh Hotel Athens into wiki.

Also put default dates as Jul 17 if no dates were stated (will follow the date posted in this thread if that is the case)
Old Jul 27, 2017, 7:01 pm

Programs: DL Gold, AA EXP, SPG Plat, Hilton Dia, Hyatt Glob, CC Gold, Avis President's Club
The Hotel St. Paul, Montreal upgraded me to a suite last December as a SPG Platinum.
Old Jan 11, 2018, 7:38 am

Programs: M&M FQT, BA G, Bonvoy LTT, WoH GLOB
Nira Montana and Huus Gstaad

Nira Montana: at least pre-stay the experience is underwhelming. Our kids seem to be counted as adults for rooms (we need a second room) and Half Board supplement (10 and above full price), but on the other hand as children when it comes to accessing the Spa (no access after 5pm - what's the point when you ski during the day). I wanted to add Half Board, which is 55 EUR per person, however for points reservation explicitly does not include BF which is EUR 20 pp extra. First time in my life I learn that HB does not include BF....in all of the discussion, 0 consideration of SPG and status. will see how the actual stay goes which I have now changed to a (steep) cash rate.

Huus Gstaad: This hotel is simply fantastic and very well managed, and great experience during several stays, including upgrades, welcome drinks, chocolate in room, etc.
Old Jan 11, 2018, 5:59 pm

Programs: UA 1k, SPG/Marriott Plat, IHG Plat
Originally Posted by banzani
Nira Montana: at least pre-stay the experience is underwhelming. Our kids seem to be counted as adults for rooms (we need a second room) and Half Board supplement (10 and above full price), but on the other hand as children when it comes to accessing the Spa (no access after 5pm - what's the point when you ski during the day). I wanted to add Half Board, which is 55 EUR per person, however for points reservation explicitly does not include BF which is EUR 20 pp extra. First time in my life I learn that HB does not include BF....in all of the discussion, 0 consideration of SPG and status. will see how the actual stay goes which I have now changed to a (steep) cash rate.

Huus Gstaad: This hotel is simply fantastic and very well managed, and great experience during several stays, including upgrades, welcome drinks, chocolate in room, etc.
We had a similar experience at Huus Gstaad and they were also kind enough to give us an appreciated late checkout. At Nira Alpina (in the swiss engadine, sister hotel to Nira Montana) there was no recognition and no upgrade (they offered a low prices upgrade at check in and I took it) but we loved the hotel and the stay and are returning.
Old Jan 11, 2018, 6:43 pm
SPG 5+ Badge

Programs: Marriott Ambassador, Lifetime Titanium, Delta Plat, Hilton Diamond , Hyatt Globalist
This is a fabulous idea. I too am happy to have the Design Hotels even if they don't have special Platinum recognition. The ability to earn (and spend) points makes it worth it. Of course, if some Design Hotels begin recognizing Plats that will make them even more desirable.

So far we have only had 2 Design Hotel experiences- the Gramercy Park Hotel in NYC and the Palazzina G in Venice. Both hotels were wonderful with stunning rooms and fabulous locations.

In both cases we had splurged for special Suites so we weren't expecting any upgrade. There really didn't seem to be any acknowledgement at either hotel that we were Platinum guests.

We are really looking forward to exploring more Design Hotels.
bhrubin likes this.
Old Jan 12, 2018, 8:34 am
Suspended

Originally Posted by banzani

Can you please let me know whether any of those two properties is ski-in/ski-out and, if not, how is easy (or cumbersome) is it to get to the slopes from the hotel.
Old Jan 12, 2018, 10:05 am

Can you please let me know whether any of those two properties is ski-in/ski-out and, if not, how is easy (or cumbersome) is it to get to the slopes from the hotel.
Both are NOT, but are offering a shuttle.

Other Ski Design Hotels are: Zhero (Ischgl/Kappl, AT) / The Cambrian (Adelboden, CH) and Nira Alpina (Silvaplana, CH - directly at the gondola station).
Old Jan 12, 2018, 6:32 pm
Suspended

Originally Posted by thomasito
Both are NOT, but are offering a shuttle.

Other Ski Design Hotels are: Zhero (Ischgl/Kappl, AT) / The Cambrian (Adelboden, CH) and Nira Alpina (Silvaplana, CH - directly at the gondola station).
thanks!

what about zhero and the cambrian? do you know what’s situation regarding access to slopes?
Old Jan 12, 2018, 6:52 pm
Suspended
Marriott 25+ BadgeAman Contributor Badge

Programs: Marriott Ambassador and LTT, UA Plat/LT Gold, AA Gold
Originally Posted by M.dA.R.
what about zhero and the cambrian? do you know what’s situation regarding access to slopes?
Might I suggest you search for SPG ski resort threads or open threads on those specific properties and make those queries there? This thread is supposed to be about going above and beyond to recognize Plats...

Thanks!
Old May 18, 2019, 7:34 pm
Hilton 25+ BadgeMarriot 100+ Badge

Programs: Hyatt Glob; Hilton Dia; Marriott AMB; Accor Dia; IHG Dia Amb; GHA Tit
Bump. I have updated what I can from the wiki but my experience with Design hotels is not hugely extensive. It would be greatly valuable if this thread had more visibility and if several people provided updates on whether they got suite upgrades or not, because according to new Marriott rules, we can now expect upgrades but I think real life experience varies greatly from one Design hotel to the other; not all hotels stick to the rules for legacy reasons. I would rather know what to expect before booking at a specific property.

Also it might help if this thread was moved under Bonvoy rather than under SPG.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.