Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Hotels and Places to Stay > Marriott | Marriott Bonvoy
Reload this Page >

Design Hotels: Anyone that goes over and above requirements to recognise Elites?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Jul 19, 2017, 2:40 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: escape4
Below are Design Hotels, listed by Region/Country/City, along with better experiences than the stated official SPG Platinum recognition, for those who have stayed.

Please edit to add in your own additional Design Hotels, as well as any additional experiences at those already listed.
Pls include the month/year of your stay as well.

FORMAT:

Region/Country/City, HOTEL NAME, SPG Plat (over and above) experience or recognition given.
--each experience with month/year if possible
- the type of upgrade, any other form of Plat recognition(free breakfast, special Plat amenities other than 500 points, evening drinks, etc?).

Thanks!

ASIA & PACIFIC

Australia

Bangladesh

China

Guam

Hong Kong SAR
HK Island - Ovolo Southside
Not a Platinum benefit specifically but important to note that all guests get Platinum-equivalent benefits including free goodie bag (sweets), mini bar including beer, breakfast (best described as continental) and - most crucially - two hours happy hour booze in the lobby bar every day if you book direct with them by email quoting your SPG number (you will get the points and nights credited to your SPG account).

India
Delhi - The Park Hotel New Delhi (7/17)
--upgrade to Suite - not huge but still a proper one with separate sleeping and living room, comp wine, fruits, pralines

Indonesia

Japan

Korea

Macau SAR

Malaysia

Maldives

Singapore
Wanderlust (11/17)
--no upgrade or other benefits

Taiwan

Thailand
Library (5/19)
--Will upgrade one category from studio to suite only. All reservations for room categories suite or above (bookmark, secret pool villa, etc.) will not be upgraded.

Vietnam

CENTRAL & SOUTH AMERICA

Argentina

Brazil

Chile

Colombia

Costa Rica

Ecuador

Panama

Paraguay

Peru

Uruguay

EUROPE

Austria
Vienna - Das Triest, Vienna (7/17)
--One upgraded to their nicest suite, another time nothing
Vienna - DO&CO, Vienna (7/17)
--Upgrade to a room with slightly better room, welcome treatment
Vienna - The Guesthouse, Vienna (7/17)
--great boutique hotel but no upgrades or other benefits. Seems like it left SPG.
Hotel Zhero, Ischgl/Kappl
--got their Presidential Suite (but thanks to BRG), no other benefits (7/17)
- upgraded from superior room to junior suite (4/19)

Belgium

Croatia

Czech Republic

Finland

France

Georgia
Tbilisi - Rooms Hotel, Tbilisi (7/17)
--bottle of wine and bowl of local fruits (much nicer than typical fruit bowls)

Germany
- Sir Savigny Berlin: upgraded to a higher cat room (SPG Gold) (7/17)

Greece
- Fresh Hotel Athens: upgraded to a suite (SPG Gold) (7/17)

Hungary

Iceland
ION Adventure Hotel, Nesjavellir (7/17)
--no Upgrades or other benefits

Ireland

Italy
Nira Montana, La Thuile
--no upgrade or other benefits (7/17)
--no upgrade or other benefits (2/19)

Malta

Netherlands
Amsterdam - Sir Adam Hotel, Amsterdam (7/17)
--Upgrade to a city view room on high floor. Free disc. Welcome drinks.
Rotterdam - Mainport, Rotterdam (7/17)
--Upgrade to larger rooms with harbour views

Poland

Portugal

Russia

Serbia

Slovakia

Spain
Barcelona - The Grand Hotel Barcelona (7/17) - appears to upgrade Platinums to the best available non-suite, based on a few stays there. They also make an effort to specifically recognize Platinum status at check-in, for those who notice these kinds of things.

Sweden
Stockholm - Miss Clara by Nobis, Stockholm (2016/summer)
- upgraded to a loft suite and provided a welcome amenity

Switzerland
The Cambrian, Adelboden (7/17)
--Upgrade to Junior Suite and fruites/cake & late checkout.

Giardino Lago, Minusio-Locarno (7/17)
--Upgrade to bigger room and breakfast not charged for award stay

Giardino Ascona (6/19)
--Two category upgrade from entry level room to Double South room type. Breakfast would not be free for Platinum or above if booking with points but is included with cash rates for all guests.

HUUS, Gstaad (7/17)
--Upgrade to a room with better view

Turkey

United Kingdom
London - Town Hall Hotel, London (7/17)
--Upgrade to a suite

Ukraine

MIDDLE EAST & AFRICA

Egypt

Kuwait

Qatar

Saudi Arabia

Seychelles

South Africa.

United Arab Emirates

NORTH AMERICA - CANADA

NORTH AMERICA - MEXICO

NORTH AMERICA - UNITED STATES

(Please help to plug these into correct countries->cities. Thank you)

LOISIUM, Langenlois (7/17)
--larger room with better views

LOISIUM, Ehrenhausen (7/17)
--upgrade to largest suites (2x), late check out and free transport to the train station

Nira Alpina, Silvaplana (7/17)
--Upgrade to Garden Room

Papaya Playa Project, Tulum (7/17)
--nicer sea view bungalow

Praia Verde Boutique Hotel, casrro Marim (7/17)
--no Upgrade, but standard rooms are suites

Rosas & Xocolate Merida (7/17)
--Upgrade to a suite

La Semilla, Playa del Carmen (7/17)
--Upgrade to a bigger room and breakfast for free on Award stays (all guests get BF)

Villa Monte, Moncarapacho (7/17)
--Upgrade to a nicer room with a better view, no charge for breakfast
Print Wikipost

Design Hotels: Anyone that goes over and above requirements to recognise Elites?

Search this Thread

Old Jul 19, 2017, 10:14 am
Original Poster

Programs: Marriott & SPG Plat, HH Diamond, Accor Plat, ex-Fairmont Plat, ex-Swissotel Eleva

I was wondering if there are any Design Hotels that regularly recognises SPG Plats, and if so, which are the ones, and how so (i.e. what are the extra things they do for Plats)
[This is apart from the 500 welcome Starpoints, and bottles of water]

I often struggle to book a Design Hotel (even though some looked really nice), especially when the city has many main SPG brand selections (upgrades, lounge access, etc).

But if a Design Hotel offers SPG Plat recognition regularly as well, that may change the game together, at least for me.

I wonder if anyone here has come across Design Hotels that does so, and perhaps a wiki could be set up, for such hotels who went over and above requirements to recognise SPG Plats? I will be encouraged to try them if so, and I am sure there are others who may do the same.

Hopefully, there will be some?
Old Jul 19, 2017, 10:32 am
Community Director Emerita

Tbilisi, Georgia - Rooms Hotel - bottle of wine and bowl of local fruits (much nicer than typical fruit bowls)
Old Jul 19, 2017, 10:50 am

Programs: UA 1K, AA EXP, WN A+, Hyatt Glob, Marriott Amb, Hertz PC
Miss Clara by Nobis

Last summer at the Miss Clara in Stockholm, we were upgraded to a loft suite and provided a welcome amenity. It was a nice surprise. The hotel seemed quite full.
Old Jul 19, 2017, 10:51 am

Programs: WS Platinum, Marriott Titanium, DL Gold, UA Silver
Based on my one and only Design Hotels experience so far (Rosas y Xocolate in Merida, Mexico) my answer would be a happy "Who cares?"

If I'm checking into a big, bland Sheraton, yes, I want and need my Platinum recognition and benefits. Ditto if I'm checking into a convention-sized Westin. Being treated like 'regular folks' at those hotels, I assume, can be a pretty 'meh' experience.

During my stay at RyX, I don't think I received anything special for my SPG status. But I really didn't care. As a small, independently-owned boutique hotel, I was treated and hosted better than the vast majority of my recognized-as-Plat-at-a-big-chain-hotel experiences.

Alas, no fruit bowl or other goodies. But the owner came by to chat with me personally (as he seemed to do with all guests). The service throughout was incredible (as it seemed to be for all guests). The tiny property was beautiful, and I loved my room (but I think it was the same for everyone). Check-in and check-out were personal, lovely experiences. No lines (regardless of status). Just a beautiful desk with two guest chairs.

As mentioned, I've only done DH once. But if that's the typical Design Hotel experience, I really wouldn't care if they did anything extra for me due to Plat status. I'd take the DH boutique experience without extra Platinum goodies over the "Sheraton + Club Lounge + Platinum fawning" any day!
Old Jul 19, 2017, 11:42 am
Hilton Contributor BadgeHyatt Contributor Badge

Programs: Hyatt Globalist, Bonvoy LT Plat, Hilton Gold, GHA Tit, BA Gold, Turkish Elite
The Grand Hotel Barcelona appears to upgrade Platinums to the best available non-suite, based on a few stays there. They also make an effort to specifically recognize Platinum status at check-in, for those who notice these kinds of things.
bizum likes this.
Old Jul 19, 2017, 12:24 pm
Suspended
Marriott 25+ BadgeAman Contributor Badge

Programs: Marriott Ambassador and LTT, UA Plat/LT Gold, AA Gold
Originally Posted by ZenWorld
I was wondering if there are any Design Hotels that regularly recognises SPG Plats, and if so, which are the ones, and how so (i.e. what are the extra things they do for Plats)?
Great idea. Thanks for this!

My expectation is that if many Design Hotels see significant revenue increases due to the SPG (and soon to be Marriott) distribution/marketing, some or all eventually may migrate into Autograph Collection/Tribute Portfolio (which I expect to be combined after the loyalty programs merge). In the meantime or if I'm wrong, though, this thread could be invaluable!
Old Jul 19, 2017, 12:32 pm

For kost Design Hotels it is difficult to offer benefits lake late check out or upgrades due to their size and the amount of roomss. As @FlyerJ wrote, still the expierence will be much better and more personalized then staying at a big Westin or Sheraton.

Here's a summary of my experience so far:

* Rosas & Xocolate Merida; Upgrade to a suite
* La Semilla, Playa del Carmen; Upgrade to a bigger room and breakfast for free on Award stays (all guests get BF)
* Papaya Playa Project, Tulum; nicer sea view bungalow.
* HUUS, Gstaad; Upgrade to a room with better view.
* The Cambrian, Adelboden; Upgrade to Junior Suite and fruites/cake & late checkout.
* Nira Montana, La Thuile, no Upgrade or other benefits
* Nira Alpina, Silvaplana; Upgrade to Garden Room.
* Giardino Lago, Minusio-Locarno; Upgrade to bigger room and breakfast was not charged for an award stay
* Vila Monte, Moncarapacho; Upgrade to a nicer room with a better view, no charge for breakfast
* Praia Verde Boutique Hotel, casrro Marim: no Upgrade, but standard rooms are suites
* Sir Adam Hotel, Amsterdam; Upgrade to a city view room on high floor. Free disc. Welcome drinks.
* Mainport, Rotterdam; Upgrade to larger rooms with harbour views
* LOISIUM, Langenlois; larger room with better views.
* LOISIUM, Ehrenhausen; upgrade to largest suites (2x), late check out and free transport to the train station
* Hotel Zhero, Ischgl/Kappl; got their Presidential Suite (but thanks to BRG), no other benefits
* Town Hall Hotel, London; Upgrade to a suite
* The Guesthouse, Vienna, great boutique hotel but no upgrades or other benefits. Seems like it left SPG.
* Das Triest, Vienna. One upgraded to their nicest suite, another time nothing.
* DO&CO, Vienna. Upgrade to a room with slightly better room, welcome treatment.
* ION Adventure Hotel, Nesjavellir; no Upgrades or other benefits

So overall very positiv experiences.
Old Jul 19, 2017, 12:53 pm
Suspended
Aman Contributor BadgeMarriott 25+ Badge

Originally Posted by thomasito
For kost Design Hotels it is difficult to offer benefits lake late check out or upgrades due to their size and the amount of roomss. As @FlyerJ wrote, still the expierence will be much better and more personalized then staying at a big Westin or Sheraton.

Here's a summary of my experience so far:

* Rosas & Xocolate Merida; Upgrade to a suite
* La Semilla, Playa del Carmen; Upgrade to a bigger room and breakfast for free on Award stays (all guests get BF)
* Papaya Playa Project, Tulum; nicer sea view bungalow.
* HUUS, Gstaad; Upgrade to a room with better view.
* The Cambrian, Adelboden; Upgrade to Junior Suite and fruites/cake & late checkout.
* Nira Montana, La Thuile, no Upgrade or other benefits
* Nira Alpina, Silvaplana; Upgrade to Garden Room.
* Giardino Lago, Minusio-Locarno; Upgrade to bigger room and breakfast was not charged for an award stay
* Vila Monte, Moncarapacho; Upgrade to a nicer room with a better view, no charge for breakfast
* Praia Verde Boutique Hotel, casrro Marim: no Upgrade, but standard rooms are suites
* Sir Adam Hotel, Amsterdam; Upgrade to a city view room on high floor. Free disc. Welcome drinks.
* Mainport, Rotterdam; Upgrade to larger rooms with harbour views
* LOISIUM, Langenlois; larger room with better views.
* LOISIUM, Ehrenhausen; upgrade to largest suites (2x), late check out and free transport to the train station
* Hotel Zhero, Ischgl/Kappl; got their Presidential Suite (but thanks to BRG), no other benefits
* Town Hall Hotel, London; Upgrade to a suite
* The Guesthouse, Vienna, great boutique hotel but no upgrades or other benefits. Seems like it left SPG.
* Das Triest, Vienna. One upgraded to their nicest suite, another time nothing.
* DO&CO, Vienna. Upgrade to a room with slightly better room, welcome treatment.
* ION Adventure Hotel, Nesjavellir; no Upgrades or other benefits

So overall very positiv experiences.
Wow, you've been to more than anyone I know! Thanks!

You should definitely start a wiki...so everyone can add their experiences to your list of hotels, and add other hotels too.

I'm actually very curious about your experience at La Semilla; we are curious about the Villa La Semilla. Please share any details you can about the hotel service, food/beverage, air conditioning quality, beach, general upkeep, etc. Thanks so much!
Old Jul 19, 2017, 2:17 pm

Programs: SPG Platinum, Lufthansa M&M FTL, FlyingBlue, Air Berlin Top Bonus
The Park Hotel New Delhi treated me (Plat) well.

- upgrade to Suite - not huge but still a proper one with separate sleeping and living room
- Complimentary Wine
- Fruits
- Pralines

I'm not sure anymore if they included breakfast or if my rate included it, but I did not pay extra for it. Overall definitely recommended!
Old Jul 19, 2017, 2:37 pm
Suspended

Moderators: start a wiki?

Mods: this seems to me a very good thread for a wiki...but alas, I don't know how to start one!
Old Jul 19, 2017, 3:22 pm
Community Director Emerita

Originally Posted by bhrubin
Mods: this seems to me a very good thread for a wiki...but alas, I don't know how to start one!
Oxon Flyer opened a wiki. It's at the top of the thread. So far it is blank. Click the edit button and start writing, much as if you were writing a post.
Old Jul 19, 2017, 3:47 pm
Suspended

Originally Posted by SanDiego1K
Oxon Flyer opened a wiki. It's at the top of the thread. So far it is blank. Click the edit button and start writing, much as if you were writing a post.
Thanks! I added the alphabetized list and all contributions thus far to the wiki. Hopefully, people can add to it as they experience better Platinum treatment. Should be quite interesting!
Old Jul 20, 2017, 9:25 am
Original Poster

Programs: Marriott & SPG Plat, HH Diamond, Accor Plat, ex-Fairmont Plat, ex-Swissotel Eleva
Thank you all!

This is what I was hoping to see, and I will definitely come here to see if any of the Design Hotels here recognises SPG Plats in the cities I am visiting, and I will add data-points to the list if possible.

I believe the "year/month" where the visit took place would be extremely useful data-point (so we can keep updating and see if there is consistency), and besides the type of upgrade, any other form of Plat recognition(free breakfast, special Plat amenities other than 500 points, evening drinks, etc?).

I hope this wiki will help channel more SPG Elite traffic to Design Hotels who recognises SPG Status, resulting in a win-win situation. ^
Old Jul 20, 2017, 9:38 am
Original Poster

I have used the format in the List of Club Lounge thread and plugged their wiki format, and arranged it in Regions, and then Countries, and then Cities.

There are some Design hotels here that I am not familiar with (and hence not sure about their cities), so someone could help me out by cutting and pasting them into the correct country and city. Thanks!
Old Jul 20, 2017, 6:44 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: A3*Gold, SPG Plat, HyattDiamond, MarriottPP, LHW exAccess, ICI, Raffles Amb, NW PE MM, TWA Gold MM
Mainport in Rotterdam not only gave me the higher room category (from standard room to a category with a big tub in the room (spa room?) with great water views, but they also proactively offered me the 4 pm checkout. I had the impression that the staff were thrilled to be part of Starwood.

IIRC I got an email offer of a cheap upgrade to be confirmed at check in but I didn't bite.

OTOH, you sometimes find better rates (with no points and no benefits) on the Design Hotels website.

BTW, the property (like many Design Hotels) offers a discount on their breakfast buffet either in advance by the upgrade email or as coupons that can be purchased at check in, but it's an all or nothing deal in that you cannot take the discounted breakfast only on a subset of your dates.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.