Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Hotels and Places to Stay > Marriott | Marriott Bonvoy
Reload this Page >

“Late check out is only available if you requested it at check in.” ?

“Late check out is only available if you requested it at check in.” ?

Old May 11, 19, 9:49 pm
Original Poster

Programs: Marriott Bonvoy Lifetime Platinum
Question “Late check out is only available if you requested it at check in.” ?

Just went round and round with the front desk clerk who said he couldn’t give us late check out because we hadn’t asked for it at check in. (We are Platinum.). Finally I remembered I had taken a screenshot of my mobile check in screen. He said there was no note in our mobile check in so he would need to see the date and time of my screenshot — 9:23am the day prior to arrival. He begrudgingly agreed to 4pm.

Has this always been the policy?
Old May 11, 19, 10:00 pm

Programs: WN F9 HA UA AA IHG HH MR
It's not the policy at all.

v. 4 p.m. Late Checkout. Platinum Elite Members and above may check out as late as 4 p.m. local time of the Participating Property. Members can request late checkout when making a reservation through central reservations, at check-in, via the mobile app (where available) or at any time during their stay. This benefit is guaranteed at all Participating Properties, except at resort and convention hotels and Design HotelsTM, where it is based upon availability. Marriott Vacation Club, Marriott Grand Residence Club, and Vistana properties are excluded from this benefit.
Old May 11, 19, 10:26 pm

Programs: MR rewards
Originally Posted by MarTN View Post
Just went round and round with the front desk clerk who said he couldn’t give us late check out because we hadn’t asked for it at check in. (We are Platinum.). Finally I remembered I had taken a screenshot of my mobile check in screen. He said there was no note in our mobile check in so he would need to see the date and time of my screenshot — 9:23am the day prior to arrival. He begrudgingly agreed to 4pm.

Ask for the manager if he dont agree
​​​​Call Marriott they well solve it ..
Old May 11, 19, 10:30 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA EXP, LT PLT; QR PLT; Bonvoy LT TIT
Originally Posted by MarTN View Post

This is either a rogue FDC or hotel. Which property?
C17PSGR and jaejaez like this.
Old May 12, 19, 1:38 am

Programs: UA GS4MM, MR LT Plat, Hilton Gold
Originally Posted by weld3z View Post
​​​​Call Marriott they well solve it ..
Now that's funny
Old May 12, 19, 2:29 am

Programs: Bonvoy Tit Forever, AmEx Plat, National EE, WN CP, CLEAR
SO not true.
jaejaez and MSPeconomist like this.
Old May 12, 19, 7:29 am
Original Poster

Programs: Marriott Bonvoy Lifetime Platinum
Originally Posted by Dr. HFH View Post
This is either a rogue FDC or hotel. Which property?
TownePlace Suites Campustown, Champaign IL on graduation weekend. BUT the day in question is well past the big graduation events.
Old May 12, 19, 8:30 am

Programs: United GS; AA EXP; Marriott Ambassador
This is also just extremely bad customer service asking to see screenshot time stamp...
Dubosc, ehallison and jaejaez like this.
Old May 12, 19, 9:16 am
Suspended

Programs: Anything with sweet spots
HUCA the front desk agent !
Old May 12, 19, 9:43 am

Programs: SPG LTP
More often than not, when I ask for it at check in I'm told to ask closer to checkout. I think that's just the FD agent version of kick the can down the road.
nequine, wrp96, CO-PLAT and 2 others like this.
Old May 12, 19, 10:43 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: A3*Gold, SPG Plat, HyattDiamond, MarriottPP, LHW exAccess, ICI, Raffles Amb, NW PE MM, TWA Gold MM
Originally Posted by Sam P. Goodman View Post
More often than not, when I ask for it at check in I'm told to ask closer to checkout. I think that's just the FD agent version of kick the can down the road.
This shouldn't be happening at properties where your elite status guarantees a late checkout. You tell them you're using your late checkout privileges.

IME the "upon request based on availability" late checkouts are granted the morning of departure, which is a real pain as one's chances are best if you wake up early just to call the front desk at the right time, which is usually between 6 and 8 am.
Old May 12, 19, 11:09 am

Programs: WN F9 HA UA AA IHG HH MR
Originally Posted by MSPeconomist View Post
This shouldn't be happening at properties where your elite status guarantees a late checkout. You tell them you're using your late checkout privileges. IME the "upon request based on availability" late checkouts are granted the morning of departure, which is a real pain as one's chances are best if you wake up early just to call the front desk at the right time, which is usually between 6 and 8 am.
Late checkout at 4pm is guaranteed for Plats and above. "Subject to availability" only applies to Gold, Silver, or Dirt elite level. I bookmarked the bonvOY T&C page on my phone and share it with the FD rep when they need training.

Unfortunately the "guarantee" has no consequences for the hotel if they decide to stonewall the guest.
strickerj and nequine like this.
Old May 12, 19, 8:38 pm

Programs: Marriott Titanium / LTG, HHonors Gold, JetBlue Mosaic, Nat'l Exec
Obviously this doesn't work with every property, but I find you can reduce your chances of FD pushback by being careful not to ask for late checkout. Just remind them that you'll be checking out late.

I used to ask very politely ("Could you please put me down for a late checkout at 4:00?") and got a lot of mumblings about availability.

Now I just say "Could you check to make sure that the Titanium late checkout I requested is noted correctly in my record?" and I get a lot less resistance.
ntamayo likes this.
Old May 12, 19, 11:21 pm

I've never had an issue with not getting late checkout on request at anytime. The housekeeping staff, on occasion, has seemed a little annoyed that I'm doing late checkout. But, you can't please everybody so whatever.
Old May 12, 19, 11:24 pm

Programs: AC E50K, AS MVPG, Hertz PC, Hilton Diamond, Marriott Platinum, Delta/United Gold
Even when I indicate I don't need late checkout during mobile check-in, I am still asked if I need late checkout at the every single property I have stayed ^
DenverBrian likes this.

Search this Thread
Search Engine: