Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Hotels and Places to Stay > Marriott | Marriott Bonvoy
Reload this Page >

Renaissance Newport Beach Hotel [Master Thread]

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Apr 19, 2017, 7:24 am
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: SkiAdcock
Near the airport, not the beach. No exec lounge; full brekkie in restaurant for G/Ps. Valet parking only.
Print Wikipost

Renaissance Newport Beach Hotel [Master Thread]

Search this Thread

Old Feb 24, 2018, 3:58 pm

Programs: Marriott LT Titanium; Mileage Plus 1K, 1 MM; Global Entry
Have a stay here coming up in April and just noticed today that it is now listed on the Marriott site as Renaissance Newport Beach. Have to wonder if this means the lounge opened. Will post an update after our stay.
Old Apr 20, 2018, 5:33 am

Programs: Marriott LT Titanium; Mileage Plus 1K, 1 MM; Global Entry
Stayed here recently. Several changes since the last stay.

The real nice gift shop (which sold my wife's Coke) is gone and has been replaced by a Market. Now, it is very nice as Marriott Markets go, but not nearly as nice as the gift shop was.

Restaurant is much smaller and has a more limited menu. The breakfast buffet is pretty good, but not quite as nice as it was last year. One plus, they now have the oatmeal on a heater and it says hot. Server also told me that they don't always put the buffet up. When there is no buffet the breakfast coupons are good for $25/per person off the menu.

Got upgraded to a nice sized room, but not nearly as nice as the huge suite we got last year. The room we got had just been renovated and I actually think we were the first ones in there, since we had to ask to have a lounge chair delivered and there appeared to be some plumber's caulk in the sink.

Most disappointing thing was that the Concierge told me that there are no current plans to put in a lounge

Had this been our first stay there I would actually have been very pleased, except for the news about the lounge. However, having stayed here last year and seeing what it was like I was just a tad disappointed.
Old Apr 20, 2018, 8:38 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: AS 75K; UA 1MM; Hyatt Globalist; Marriott LTP; Hilton Diamond (Aspire)
Originally Posted by Michilander
Most disappointing thing was that the Concierge told me that there are no current plans to put in a lounge
That's surprising. They specifically told me last year they were putting in a lounge. They also seem to be behind on the renovations . . . was told a "couple of months" when I was there last June.

I need to be in this area end of the week . . . will probably stay at Marriott Bayview, as I love the access to the Back Bay for running and doesn't sound like there's any compelling reason to stay here instead.
Old Apr 27, 2018, 2:45 pm

Programs: AS 75K; UA 1MM; Hyatt Globalist; Marriott LTP; Hilton Diamond (Aspire)
Well I wound up here, in part because I got a great rate ($159 and 5k bonus points), and in part because it was walking distance to my meeting thus did not need a car.

Given an unrenovated junior suite with terrace on the 10th floor. Man the unrenovated rooms are in bad shape . . . carpets smell of 30 years of accumulated dirt, moisture, and illicit cigarette smoke. Here's what I'm talking about (note also the odd lack of furniture filling the empty space):

Appears that the south tower has been renovated, while the north has not. So the unrenovated portion includes the elevators which are really showing their age.

Overall, not a fan of the renovations to the public areas. They've closed off the old breakfast area, and pushed everything forward towards the front of the hotel. It's all hard serfaces, not particularly welcoming, and very loud.

Elite breakfast is the full buffet and it was pretty good. They still get good croissants, a legacy from this property's roots as Le Meridien Newport. Service was great, very friendly. WiFi is smoking fast.

But with half the building still unrenovated and really in dire condition, I'm a bit surprised Marriott's letting this place use the Renaissance mark.
Old Sep 10, 2018, 5:02 pm

Programs: Hyatt Diamond, IHG Platinum, Hilton Gold, Club Carlson Gold, Starwood Gold
Any updates from Marriott guests? I called and they said the renovations are done "but for the first two floors." Not sure what that means, as that would imply all common areas?
Old Jan 25, 2019, 1:06 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL DM & 2MM, SPG/Bonvoid LT Titanium, Hyatt Globalist, $tarbucks Titanium
This thread should be re-titled to reflect the hotel's current name
Old Feb 26, 2019, 2:11 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL DM & 2MM, SPG/Bonvoid LT Titanium, Hyatt Globalist, $tarbucks Titanium
Good stay Feb 2019

Decided to give the Renaissance Newport Beach a try.

They are doing a lot of things very well:
  • Full remodel of the previous Fairmont; decor is a beachy vibe. Lots of hardwood floors, blue and white. I'd describe my Executive Suite decor as a beach version of a Le Meridien in terms of mid-century/contemporary design.
  • Unlike a lot of Renaissance hotels that just provide a bar of soap, shampoo and conditioner, this one also provides Aveda shower gel.
  • Room had empty fridge with small freezer section; perfect for my own items.
  • Room had lots of USB outlets for charging phones, EarPods, etc.
  • Room had Kruig coffee machine + an upscale brand of teas. Nice to see Marriott doing better quality coffee and tea.
  • They have water bottle refill stations in the fitness center and by the pool. Nice way to save plastic, but the machines are new, providing filtered + Electrolyte enhanced water.
  • Pool/sundeck on the 3rd floor is large: lots of places to sit, both shaded and in the sun. There is a hot tub too.
  • Large size fitness center with brand new equipment (as of Feb 2019), enough room for a dedicated area to stretch and a dedicated area for free weights. Cardio machines overlook the pool/sundeck but have a tint to the glass so you are not blinded.
  • No lounge. There is a library off of the lobby that seemed to be a great place to work or have an impromptu meeting as the main lobby had lots of activity and music.
  • Breakfast in the restaurant: nice selection of all the usuals + a few dim sum items and cold noodles + smoked salmon. Titanium certificate gave me access to the entire breakfast buffet.
Room for improvement:
  • Valet only parking. No self-park options and there doesn't appear to be street parking. $33 rate is crazy.
  • Participate in the Ambassador program; provide a treat or something from the guest profile as a special welcome. Didn't even receive a note.
  • It would be nice if the "Market" off the lobby sold more upscale and healthy products; they of course have all the gross Pepsi products.
I'd stay again. Especially if they can figure out a reasonable parking solution.
Old Feb 26, 2019, 4:13 pm

Originally Posted by itsaboutthejourney
Room had Kruig coffee machine + an upscale brand of teas. Nice to see Marriott doing better quality coffee and tea.
I really dislike Keurig. It is IMO the worst in-room coffee option. I'd rather have Nescafe instant.
Valet only parking. No self-park options and there doesn't appear to be street parking. $33 rate is crazy.
Fairmont implemented this many years ago. Agree it's obscene, and that it's the biggest negative here.
Old Feb 26, 2019, 6:31 pm
Original Poster

Programs: UALifetimePremierGold, Marriott LifetimeTitanium
Thanks for the trip report. Much appreciated.

Cheers.
Old Feb 27, 2019, 10:34 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by Kacee
I really dislike Keurig. It is IMO the worst in-room coffee option. I'd rather have Nescafe instant.
agreed, but compared to Starwood, Marriott seems to have such low standards for coffee I had to mention this was at least a minor upgrade.
Old Feb 27, 2019, 10:54 pm

Decided to give the Renaissance Newport Beach a try.

They are doing a lot of things very well:
  • Full remodel of the previous Fairmont; decor is a beachy vibe. Lots of hardwood floors, blue and white. I'd describe my Executive Suite decor as a beach version of a Le Meridien in terms of mid-century/contemporary design.
  • Unlike a lot of Renaissance hotels that just provide a bar of soap, shampoo and conditioner, this one also provides Aveda shower gel.
  • Room had empty fridge with small freezer section; perfect for my own items.
  • Room had lots of USB outlets for charging phones, EarPods, etc.
  • Room had Kruig coffee machine + an upscale brand of teas. Nice to see Marriott doing better quality coffee and tea.
  • They have water bottle refill stations in the fitness center and by the pool. Nice way to save plastic, but the machines are new, providing filtered + Electrolyte enhanced water.
  • Pool/sundeck on the 3rd floor is large: lots of places to sit, both shaded and in the sun. There is a hot tub too.
  • Large size fitness center with brand new equipment (as of Feb 2019), enough room for a dedicated area to stretch and a dedicated area for free weights. Cardio machines overlook the pool/sundeck but have a tint to the glass so you are not blinded.
  • No lounge. There is a library off of the lobby that seemed to be a great place to work or have an impromptu meeting as the main lobby had lots of activity and music.
  • Breakfast in the restaurant: nice selection of all the usuals + a few dim sum items and cold noodles + smoked salmon. Titanium certificate gave me access to the entire breakfast buffet.
Room for improvement:
  • Valet only parking. No self-park options and there doesn't appear to be street parking. $33 rate is crazy.
  • Participate in the Ambassador program; provide a treat or something from the guest profile as a special welcome. Didn't even receive a note.
  • It would be nice if the "Market" off the lobby sold more upscale and healthy products; they of course have all the gross Pepsi products.
I'd stay again. Especially if they can figure out a reasonable parking solution.
Very nice write up! I had a recent stay in February as well and would just like to add a couple comments.

Platinum Elite and was upgraded to a Junior Suite. It was a corner room with a unusually large balcony. Overall, the room was very nice and modern, though lacking in lighting. Unlike some other hotels that sort of heat their pools, the pool here was warm and very cozy even with evening temperatures in the 50s. And as mentioned, since there is no lobby, a full breakfast buffet is included for Platinums even though the card that was handed to me at check-in stated a continental breakfast (with gratuity included). The restaurant itself felt a bit more of a lobby space that serves food than an actual restaurant, though.

Perhaps my standards are too high, but while I am generally satisfied with the typical Marriott buffet breakfast, I found my breakfast here on the lower end (especially for the hotel). You are able to order eggs from the kitchen which is great, but the scrambled eggs in the buffet were very dry and bland. The pancakes were all half-stuck to the serving tray and seemed inedible. The coffee was good and the croissants, as Kacee suggested, were surprisingly excellent. Thanks for that tip!
itsaboutthejourney likes this.
Old Apr 6, 2021, 3:48 pm

not surprised this thread is dead, even during pre-pandemic. i dont see the benefits of staying here besides on business. i planned to stay here to burn a few certs, but idk.

FYI:
- self parking reduced to $20/day. no valet. but still not willing to pay that.
- restaurant will be closed until 4/8/21 - then opened for limited service
- no exec lounge
- for elites, welcome points were the only option until 4/8. then its pts or breakfast even when no exec lounge. this is a renaissance. should be BOTH pts and breakfast. but due to no lounge and restaurant closed, should be double pts. ie 1k welcome pts + 750 pts/day. i do not see any type of exclusion for this prop within (https://www.marriott.com/loyalty/terms/default.mi#elite).

Last edited by GundamWing01; Apr 6, 2021 at 3:55 pm
Old Aug 16, 2021, 12:08 am

Programs: AA Lifetime Plat; Bonvoy Titanium Lifetime Elite;Hyatt Globalist; HHonors Diamond; United Silver
Originally Posted by GundamWing01
not surprised this thread is dead, even during pre-pandemic. i dont see the benefits of staying here besides on business. i planned to stay here to burn a few certs, but idk.

FYI:
- self parking reduced to $20/day. no valet. but still not willing to pay that.
- restaurant will be closed until 4/8/21 - then opened for limited service
- no exec lounge
- for elites, welcome points were the only option until 4/8. then its pts or breakfast even when no exec lounge. this is a renaissance. should be BOTH pts and breakfast. but due to no lounge and restaurant closed, should be double pts. ie 1k welcome pts + 750 pts/day. i do not see any type of exclusion for this prop within (https://www.marriott.com/loyalty/terms/default.mi#elite).
Any updates? I'm thinking of burning a 35k free night cert and the Hyatt in town gets poor reviews.
Old Oct 5, 2023, 8:11 am

Programs: Marriott Platinum, Hilton Diamond, IHG Platinum
Was contemplating a staycation, parking fee ($41 self, $46 valet) killed it.
Old Nov 3, 2023, 12:13 am
Fairmont Contributor Badge

SAME! I was going to stay here during the thanksgiving week to see family, but wow that parking is wild.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.