Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Hotels and Places to Stay > Marriott | Marriott Bonvoy
Reload this Page >

Renaissance Newport Beach Hotel [Master Thread]

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Apr 19, 2017, 7:24 am
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: SkiAdcock
Near the airport, not the beach. No exec lounge; full brekkie in restaurant for G/Ps. Valet parking only.
Print Wikipost

Search this Thread

Old Apr 18, 2017, 9:56 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend
Original Poster

Programs: UALifetimePremierGold, Marriott LifetimeTitanium

Hotel website:

http://www.marriott.com/hotels/trave...newport-beach/

Cat 7. Doesn't appear to have an exec lounge.

"The Duke Hotel Newport Beach radiates a dramatic feel from both an architectural and design standpoint. The Hotel is upscale California contemporary, with an elegant residential feel from the grand Lobby, and 440 well appointed guestrooms, including 54 exquisite suites. The property features 22,000 square feet of indoor function space, and the Bamboo Garden, a 10,000 square feet outdoor function space that is adjacent to the ballrooms and boasts a water feature, fireplace and conversational fire pit. Guests of The Duke will enjoy the amenities of Orange County's newest upscale hotel along with exceptional, all within the alluring destination that is Newport Beach. "

Cheers.
Old Apr 18, 2017, 1:03 pm
Original Poster

Buffet brekkie in restaurant for G/Ps.

Cheers.
Old Apr 18, 2017, 4:50 pm

Programs: AS 75K; UA 1MM; Hyatt Globalist; Marriott LTP; Hilton Diamond (Aspire)
This is the Fairmont Newport Beach, rebranded. (Before that, it was the Sutton Place, and before that, le Meridien.) It's nowhere near the beach, but in an office park close to John Wayne.

In pretty serious need of a remodel.

Look out for the valet parking charge. There are no self-park options.
Old Apr 19, 2017, 7:23 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by Kacee

In pretty serious need of a remodel.
I'm assuming it got one before it re-opened as The Duke.

Has a # of suites, so upgrades might be easier to come by.

10 floors , 411 rooms , 33 suites
Valet parking, fee: 33 USD daily

Pet policy:

Pets Welcome
Maximum 1 pet per room
Non-refundable fee: 50 USD
1 pet 25 lbs max with USD 50 per stay fee-must be leashed and not left alone
Contact hotel for details

Crib/Play Yard : Complimentary
Rollaway bed : 20.00 USD Per Room Daily
Old Apr 19, 2017, 9:38 am

Programs: AS 75K; UA 1MM; Hyatt Globalist; Marriott LTP; Hilton Diamond (Aspire)
Originally Posted by SkiAdcock
I'm assuming it got one before it re-opened as The Duke.
It did not. Check out the T/A reviews.

There's a reason rooms here are often available for under $130/night (plus that awful $33 parking charge).

Last edited by Kacee; Apr 19, 2017 at 10:05 am
Old Apr 19, 2017, 10:21 am

Programs: AAdvantage Platinum, United Silver, Marriott Titanium Elite
Originally Posted by Kacee
It did not. Check out the T/A reviews.

There's a reason rooms here are often available for under $130/night (plus that awful $33 parking charge).
Like The Franklin Hotel at Independence Park in Philadelphia, The Duke Hotel Newport Beach is a Renaissance Hotel with the Renaissance brand largely hidden. In both cases, on Marriott.com, Renaissance is not part of the hotel name and there's a hotel-specific logo where the Renaissance logo would usually be.

Apparently, Renaissance allow hotels to reflag partially. Presumably, if and when these hotels are properly brought up to standards, they can call themselves Renaissance.
Old Apr 19, 2017, 10:39 am

Originally Posted by Horace
Apparently, Renaissance allow hotels to reflag partially. Presumably, if and when these hotels are properly brought up to standards, they can call themselves Renaissance.
This could be an excellent property with an investment in renovations. The "bones" are outstanding. It was 5* at one time, and I had many good stays under all three prior brands.

The execrable mandatory parking fee was implemented by Fairmont - you used to be able to self park for free, as there is ample space in the adjacent office park (which Fairmont totally blocked off so they could impose a mandatory parking charge).
Old Apr 19, 2017, 5:13 pm

Programs: UAL 1K MM, Marriott Ambassador
Thanks for heads up ! looking forward to giving the Duke a try
Old Apr 22, 2017, 1:04 am

Programs: AA, WN, UA, Bonvoy, Hertz
Of note, many area visitors cannot effectively get around at a reasonable cost without a rental car. While charging for parking is common for the area (the tiny Hilton nearby charges $26 for self-parking), be on the lookout for packages that include parking. It might only be via a Travelzoo (TZO) or other option.

This is a strange add for Marriott without some work done before reflagging. This article does confirm the aforementioned plan to not allow the Renaissance brand until work is done. I would avoid until it is finished (unless the rate gets really low and you can avoid the parking charge).

http://www.ocregister.com/2017/02/15...r-125-million/

Rasheed
Old Apr 22, 2017, 6:21 am
Original Poster

From rasheed's link:

"The hotel will undergo $18.5 million in renovations to its rooms and public areas. It’s being temporarily rebranded as the Duke Hotel before becoming the Renaissance once renovations are completed. The company is targeting Jan. 1, 2018 for its debut."

Cheers.
Old Jun 8, 2017, 1:44 pm

Programs: Marriott LT Titanium; Mileage Plus 1K, 1 MM; Global Entry
California/Newport Beach / The Duke Hotel, Autograph Collection

Stayed here last night and thought I would provide a review. Have attached a few pictures of the room and one of the breakfast buffet.

Asked about an upgrade at check in and scored a Junior Suite. Very nice room, with a sizable balcony. Not sure if it was because of it being a suite, but we got double shampoo, conditioner, body wash. Also had two nice robes, extra pillows, extra blanket. Suite included a large walk-in shower and a large tub, although I did not see any jets in the tub (we both used the shower).

As stated in Post #1 , there is no lounge, but we were told they are planning a renovation that will include putting in a lounge. Best guess they have is that it might be another year.

As to breakfast, while the coupon says continental, we were given access to the whole buffet without upcharge. Buffet had lots of fresh fruit choices, nice selection of breads/sweet rolls/muffins, steel cut oatmeal, very nicely done scrambled eggs, potatoes, sausages, bacon, French toast and a very nice smoked salmon station with lots of go-withs. Only complaint was the oatmeal was not very warm. Otherwise, A+ buffet. Staff was very good at keeping it stocked.

Nice restaurant/bar area. Had a really great grilled cheese sandwich last night that was made with a couple of different cheeses, including brie. Was able to get a cup of tomato soup for the side . Michlander_wife had the French Onion soup, one of her favorites, and said it was very good. Only grump here, beer selection was limited for malt heads like me, but that is true in almost all Marriotts.

Also had a nice little gift shop, which, by the way, sells Coke (much to my wife's delight) and Cherry Garcia (much to my delight).

Biggest downside is that parking is valet only and $33/night.

We would definitely stay here again.
Attached Images      
Old Jun 8, 2017, 3:06 pm
Original Poster

Thanks for the update w/ pics. Much appreciated.

Cheers.
Old Jul 1, 2017, 12:48 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend, Moderator, Information Desk, Ambassador, Alaska Airlines
Hilton Contributor BadgeIHG Contributor Badge

Programs: AS MVP Gold100K, AS 1MM, Maika`i Card, AGR, HH Gold, Hertz PC, Marriott Titanium LTG, CO, 7H, BA, 8E
Looks like I might be staying here in September for two nights Sat-Mon. Got a solid rate, but annoyed with the parking charge for sure. Flying into SNA so tempted to just rent for the day and return at night... but a fair bit of hassle then. As a plus side, I would get more hertz rental trips, but I'm already on track for PC.

There's no real street parking nearby, right?
Old Jul 1, 2017, 5:20 am

Programs: Marriott LT Titanium; Mileage Plus 1K, 1 MM; Global Entry
Originally Posted by beckoa
Looks like I might be staying here in September for two nights Sat-Mon. Got a solid rate, but annoyed with the parking charge for sure. Flying into SNA so tempted to just rent for the day and return at night... but a fair bit of hassle then. As a plus side, I would get more hertz rental trips, but I'm already on track for PC.

We did not have a car until the morning of check-out, so I did not really look around for parking options, but all the spaces I noticed any where near the hotel were all gated lots. I do not recall seeing any street side parking anywhere in the area.
Old Jul 1, 2017, 8:27 am

Originally Posted by beckoa
Nothing reasonably close. Maybe in one of the lots on the other side of MacArther but that's a pretty long haul.

I was here three weeks ago. The place is super tired. Carpets and furniture in dire need of replacement.

Breakfast was good though.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.