FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - Renaissance Newport Beach Hotel [Master Thread]
Old Feb 26, 2019, 2:11 pm
itsaboutthejourney
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL DM & 2MM, SPG/Bonvoid LT Titanium, Hyatt Globalist, $tarbucks Titanium
Good stay Feb 2019

Decided to give the Renaissance Newport Beach a try.

They are doing a lot of things very well:
  • Full remodel of the previous Fairmont; decor is a beachy vibe. Lots of hardwood floors, blue and white. I'd describe my Executive Suite decor as a beach version of a Le Meridien in terms of mid-century/contemporary design.
  • Unlike a lot of Renaissance hotels that just provide a bar of soap, shampoo and conditioner, this one also provides Aveda shower gel.
  • Room had empty fridge with small freezer section; perfect for my own items.
  • Room had lots of USB outlets for charging phones, EarPods, etc.
  • Room had Kruig coffee machine + an upscale brand of teas. Nice to see Marriott doing better quality coffee and tea.
  • They have water bottle refill stations in the fitness center and by the pool. Nice way to save plastic, but the machines are new, providing filtered + Electrolyte enhanced water.
  • Pool/sundeck on the 3rd floor is large: lots of places to sit, both shaded and in the sun. There is a hot tub too.
  • Large size fitness center with brand new equipment (as of Feb 2019), enough room for a dedicated area to stretch and a dedicated area for free weights. Cardio machines overlook the pool/sundeck but have a tint to the glass so you are not blinded.
  • No lounge. There is a library off of the lobby that seemed to be a great place to work or have an impromptu meeting as the main lobby had lots of activity and music.
  • Breakfast in the restaurant: nice selection of all the usuals + a few dim sum items and cold noodles + smoked salmon. Titanium certificate gave me access to the entire breakfast buffet.
Room for improvement:
  • Valet only parking. No self-park options and there doesn't appear to be street parking. $33 rate is crazy.
  • Participate in the Ambassador program; provide a treat or something from the guest profile as a special welcome. Didn't even receive a note.
  • It would be nice if the "Market" off the lobby sold more upscale and healthy products; they of course have all the gross Pepsi products.
I'd stay again. Especially if they can figure out a reasonable parking solution.