FlyerTalk Forums

FlyerTalk Forums (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/index.php)
-   Marriott | Marriott Bonvoy (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/marriott-marriott-bonvoy-766/)
-   -   The Ritz-Carlton, Koh Samui - Thailand [Master Thread] (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/marriott-marriott-bonvoy/1837466-ritz-carlton-koh-samui-thailand-master-thread.html)

Beano HK Dec 21, 2018 3:42 pm

Originally Posted by VCURamFan (Post 30543217)
This is the only mention I've seen of free breakfast for elites, can anyone else confirm?

yes, we have been offered free breakfast also plus an u/g

VCURamFan Jan 4, 2019 3:12 am

FYI, still in Samui during the storm, but completed a disastrous (shortened) stay at this resort. Will provide further details later, but we changed resorts to Vana Belle mid-stay, and met another couple at VB who did same. Was first time in either of our lives that we have left a hotel early. Such a beautiful and clean new resort, but the service was beyond pathetic at almost all times.

JBauer Jan 15, 2019 3:55 pm

February

that is ominous.

Visiting in February. Points stay. With upgraded room and breakfast.

Anyone have an idea if you can go out to restaurants at night or if it’s too secluded? How are taxis or do you have to take hotel car?

also. Anyone rent motor bikes or is that insane? Two 40 yo couples.

Kacee Jan 15, 2019 9:45 pm

Originally Posted by JBauer (Post 30659016)
How are taxis or do you have to take hotel car?

Download the Navigo App and use it. Way better than taxis.

Anyone rent motor bikes or is that insane?

I do. It's not especially safe. Samui is pretty trafficky.

Beano HK Jan 16, 2019 12:37 am

that is ominous.

Visiting in February. Points stay. With upgraded room and breakfast.

Anyone have an idea if you can go out to restaurants at night or if it’s too secluded? How are taxis or do you have to take hotel car?

also. Anyone rent motor bikes or is that insane? Two 40 yo couples.

see you there! 16-24. Don't rent bikes on Samui! Beware also being asked to lodge your passport as "security".

JBauer Jan 16, 2019 11:47 am

Passport

We’ll be there feb 13-18. What do you mean about passports? Being careful. I’ll check out that app for taxis.

Anything else to be aware of?

thanks!

Kacee Jan 16, 2019 12:00 pm

Originally Posted by JBauer (Post 30662433)
What do you mean about passports?

He's referring to the fact that most scooter or motorcycle rental places will require you leave your passport as a deposit.

Beano HK Jan 17, 2019 2:30 pm

Originally Posted by Kacee (Post 30662518)
He's referring to the fact that most scooter or motorcycle rental places will require you leave your passport as a deposit.

Yes, sorry I was a little vague. If you do leave your PP as a security (dont) they have you over a barrel if there is any damage to the vehicle on return. The Samui standard of driving, or Thai in general, isnt the best...

m0hamed Jan 17, 2019 11:34 pm

Any seasoned traveller should know don't rent a motorbike, scooter or jetski in Thailand. It's one of the largest known scams. It's also physically unsafe in additional to your passport possibly being held captive.

aleksir Jan 18, 2019 10:58 am

Interesting how things have changed in 20 years. But back then they were still working on paving the road. Scooters were extra fun in the dirt and potholes.

goodeats21 Jan 18, 2019 12:39 pm

Originally Posted by m0hamed (Post 30669404)
Any seasoned traveller should know don't rent a motorbike, scooter or jetski in Thailand. It's one of the largest known scams. It's also physically unsafe in additional to your passport possibly being held captive.

I have rented motorbike / scooters in Thailand many times. I have never had to leave my PP, nor have I had any difficulty with claims of damage, etc.
Having one made my trip much more enjoyable, and made areas accessible outside of public transport routes.

But I am a license motorcycle operator in the states, and I research and use reliable vendors.

Blanket statements that all scooter rentals in Thailand are scams is not accurate. But due diligence is warranted.

JBauer Feb 20, 2019 5:39 pm

4 star service -- not 5

We visited with another couple for 5 days as a Platinum Ambassador member. Points stay. No resort fee is always welcome. And no games on points. Overall, a very nice property. Service not on par with typical Ritz Carltons.

Reception

It is only about 15 minutes from the airport, which is nice (we used NaviGo to get a car- Uber for Thailand). The reception is very underwhelming, as it is set very far back from the rooms and the beach. Made me nervous, but the hotel is much nicer. Just an odd entrance.

Check-In

It was our 15th wedding anniversary and I told the hotel ahead of time as well as my ambassador. The hotel was very nice and emailed me that they would have something special prepared. Needless to say when we walked into our ocean view villa around 9PM I was disappointed to see nothing there. Nothing remotely celebrating an anniversary. This was a let down and I surely let the manager and my ambassador know. The hotel admitted they dropped the ball the next day and brought flowers, cake and wine – but the surprise was gone by then. Surely not Ritz service.

Ocean View Suite

The room is gorgeous. As others have said, be prepared for lots of walking up hills and stairs. Our room, while nice, was a three story walk up, after walking up several hills. There are golf carts that are reliable to take you places.

Breakfast

This was included in our rate and the spread is fantastic. It’s an amazing breakfast with everything from typical breakfast foods to stir fry and Indian food.

Beach and Pool

This was odd. The main beach was closed for construction with occasionally loud digging and pounding noises. No warning given, so be forewarned. There was a smaller beach that was red flagged and way too rocky to swim. We tried and got cut on the shallow coral. The hotel is lovely and huge. Plenty of seating to be had. They also have a self contained diving reef pool to see fish. It is fun for about 10 minutes and costs money. The service by the pool is also not great. You have to hunt people down for drinks, towels etc...Twice snakes jumped out of trees and fell onto chairs by the pool. They were not venomous but created quite the commotion.

Overall

This is a gorgeous property set on a hillside so be prepared for walking. We had a lovely time despite the service failures. The spa is nice with fairly decent pricing – and has a great pool hidden away. It’s a fun property with beautiful rooms and views, but just don’t expect Ritz level service.

Go find Sid-- he is amazing.

GS1000 Apr 4, 2019 10:32 pm

Originally Posted by bhrubin (Post 30309303)

You can’t use SNAs at RC hotels, so it doesn’t matter! Enjoy your award suite.

Is this still true with all the glorious Bonvoy changes?

EuropeanPete Apr 4, 2019 11:26 pm

Originally Posted by GS1000 (Post 30966635)
Is this still true with all the glorious Bonvoy changes?

Yes. Nowadays you can't use SNAs in half of other hotels either, but still definitely not at RC's. What is now true is that Plat Premier+ elites should be getting suite upgrades, if available.

sammyindc Apr 19, 2019 10:05 am

20% off dining

Does anyone know if they are offering 20% off dining and enhanced service on spa for Platinum and Titanium members?
They are listed on the marriottbonvoyasia.com website as offering these benefits.