FlyerTalk Forums

FlyerTalk Forums (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/index.php)
-   Marriott | Marriott Bonvoy (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/marriott-marriott-bonvoy-766/)
-   -   The Ritz-Carlton, Koh Samui - Thailand [Master Thread] (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/marriott-marriott-bonvoy/1837466-ritz-carlton-koh-samui-thailand-master-thread.html)

3rdworldresident Mar 12, 2018 8:29 pm

Originally Posted by 3rdworldresident (Post 29347200)
Judged from the beach photo, i will stick with Vana belle for my samui trip in March.

Changed my mind. i'll stay at RC for 1 night just to check it out and then move to W instead.

sammyindc Mar 13, 2018 2:04 pm

I still prefer the Four Seasons Koh Samui... in my opinion nothing will compare to the level of service you get there!

bangkokiscool Jun 29, 2018 9:01 pm

We are staying at this property for a week. Originally booked on a points stay in a base room. Upgraded to ocean view suite before check in and confirmed free breakfast for elites (this is different than most RC properties that do not upgrade elites or offer free breakfast). There is also a sunset cocktail hour with free beer, wine, sparkling wine, and canapes. We switched to a paid rate and then went with a pool villa with stunning views.

We've been coming to KS for many years and usually stay at CKS. I'll say this - the service at RCKS is the best service we've ever received at any hotel anywhere in the world. And as others have mentioned, the breakfast is fantastic. Get a pool villa with a view, and you won't regret staying here. The hardware is not as stunning as the CKS perhaps, but the service and food and accessibility to town (renting a car here is easy) more than make up for it.

bhrubin Jul 5, 2018 6:29 pm

Originally Posted by 3rdworldresident (Post 29517491)
Changed my mind. i'll stay at RC for 1 night just to check it out and then move to W instead.

So what did you think about the RC and W?

bhrubin Jul 5, 2018 6:34 pm

Originally Posted by sammyindc (Post 29520636)
I still prefer the Four Seasons Koh Samui... in my opinion nothing will compare to the level of service you get there!

Not so sure after these posts in the Luxury Forum about the FS KS having quite poor service and food/beverage...from a very trusted TA source:

https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/29933158-post479.html

Originally Posted by chinmoylad (Post 29933158)
Just got done with Four Seasons Koh Samui. Very bizarre stay. Gorgeous property, but they seemed to screw up nearly everything service (and food) wise. Seems like they were having a bad day/weekend...!

Some pics for now - more to come later including videos and a full review.

https://www.instagram.com/p/BkmPbSHh...-by=chinmoylad

https://www.instagram.com/p/BkmsrADh...-by=chinmoylad

https://www.instagram.com/p/BkpS0VhB...-by=chinmoylad

https://www.instagram.com/p/BksUei4B...-by=chinmoylad

https://www.instagram.com/p/BkuBkech...-by=chinmoylad

https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/29933535-post481.html

Originally Posted by chinmoylad (Post 29933535)
Bear in mind I'm being hosted (and they eventually ended up waiving any incidental charges too)...

In short:
- No welcome drink upon arrival (there were fresh towels though). There were 3-4 couples arriving around the same time as us, but everyone had welcome drinks apart from us.
- Was doing the resort tour + meetings on the first day in the afternoon/evening. Staff inquired about where my partner was (as she didn't join me for the tour) where I told four separate persons on four separate occasions that she was currently sleeping in the villa as she's tired. Apparently housekeeping didn't get the memo and went to the villa at their own convenient time, which happened to be when she'd woken up and was mid-shower. She came out dripping wet, wearing a towel. Housekeeping, instead of declining and saying they'll come back (or you know, do it when we're having dinner out or just out and about?), decided now was a good time to clean the room and asked her (again, standing there dripping wet, in a towel) if it's okay to do it now. She was too polite to say "no, come back later". So I got back to the villa where housekeeping are working on the room while she's sitting outside by the sun loungers in a towel, still dripping wet. Weird.
- Asked to replace my beach slippers with a larger size as the ones they gave me did not fit. After some confusion (they brought me the wrong type of slippers the first time around), I was brought a pair of 'beach slippers' that looked extremely cheap and nothing like the ones in the room, and they also 'LOOKED' used (not sure if they were, but the soles had dirt-like marks on them. I showed them the ones I was asking about, only to be told they do not have a larger size than the one I was provided (I was given approximately a US 8. I'm a US 10...).
- Asked for a bucket of ice (we didn't see the bucket in the mini-bar earlier) for in-room dinner. Was provided with an ESKY that had moldy edges near the hinges.

Spoke to management at this point the next day regarding my concerns - service definitely improved from here and things were good for a while (but for a 60-key resort, I'd still expect better really) until things went downhill the night before check-out, but not necessarily service related:

- The coconut shavings, nuts and dried fruits in the mini-bar area are not complimentary. Which isn't a big deal except for the fact that they 'look' like they are (Four Seasons labeling). Further to that, the price list for the mini-bar is very hidden. When I found out I tried to search for the list but couldn't find it - had to call up reception to ask where the price list for the mini-bar is, and it's hidden in a separate drawer from pretty much all the snacks, sitting underneath the bottle openers (and even if you open up the door the full way, you still can't read that it says 'Mini-bar Price List' or equivalent because the writing is not visible even when the door is entirely opened. It almost looks like it's a resting pad for the bottle openers.
- Thought it'd be time for a relaxing bath on the last night, but it was already late (post World Cup game, around 2:00am) - we hadn't tried the bathtub until now. Turned on the taps, which started spewing out orange water. Panicking, we checked the sinks and shower too to see if we'd been washing ourselves/faces in this horrible water. Other water was fine, the bath tub was not. They sent maintenance staff to fix who managed to bring the colour down from Fanta orange to Lemonade yellow after 1 hour. At this point we were just exhausted and wanted to sleep. Next morning we were offered to move rooms but it was two hours until check-out so not much we could have done.

That's without going into how poor some of the food was, although daily in-villa breakfast was okay and the Latin dinner we had at the restaurant by the beach was rather excellent. Genuinely had the worst club sandwich I've ever had in my life. Why club sandwich, you ask? Because the Thai food I ordered earlier was so listless that I thought "surely they couldn't screw up a club sandwich?". I was wrong.

The service after did improve though - we had great staff who serviced us for breakfast every morning in the villa (Oscar) who was very attentive in addition to being the usual warm and friendly. Our food/dietary preferences were very well met, and they started getting accustomed to some of our weirder quirks.

The property is gorgeous on the whole - the villas are great, the residence villas are even nicer. I'm not personally a fan of the 'beach' villas (which are smackbang at the end of the beach and not very private yet the resort's top accommodation before residences), and not all the villas have great privacy - you can also hear neighbours or noise from other villas too, but no real complaints about the hard product.

Considering the generally favourable reviews for this property from here and other places, I'm very much shocked to say the least and willing to give the benefit of the doubt to the property but just curious what the hell happened.

3rdworldresident Jul 6, 2018 5:31 am

Originally Posted by bhrubin (Post 29942666)

So what did you think about the RC and W?

i still prefer W to the RC. (as a returning guest, they treated me like a royalty.).

however, RC has potential, very good one. I think the hardware is not there yet (being a new build property i expect much more luxury feel) but the service was great. I would not hesitate to return.

Beano HK Oct 12, 2018 5:20 pm

So, am looking to pull the trigger on a 10 night points stay early next year for here.

As a Plat Prem Elite, I have a total of 11 SNA's available. The points book into a suite anyway. Is it worth applying my SNA's and hoping I get a pool villa or not bother. I dont want to waste them.

Thoughts?

bhrubin Oct 12, 2018 5:41 pm

Originally Posted by Beano HK (Post 30309237)
So, am looking to pull the trigger on a 10 night points stay early next year for here.

As a Plat Prem Elite, I have a total of 11 SNA's available. The points book into a suite anyway. Is it worth applying my SNA's and hoping I get a pool villa or not bother. I dont want to waste them.

Thoughts?

You can’t use SNAs at RC hotels, so it doesn’t matter! Enjoy your award suite.

yerffej201 Nov 19, 2018 11:42 am

anyone have thoughts on this property vs w koh samui? currently same price on points but the diff is that PPE get free breakfast (from choosing it as amenity) at the W

MePlatPremier Nov 19, 2018 12:56 pm

strongly recommend The Library hotel. A very good hotel, with all the amenities and comforts of a luxury resort without it actually being a resort. It’s in Chaweng within walking distance to everywhere. No plat breakfast, but that’s no different than RC, and almost all rates are inclusive.

I was there on a BRG rate and I could sense a slight resentment on their end (in fact, I know they disputed the claim approval with Marriott), but despite that I enjoyed my stay there.

Kacee Nov 19, 2018 1:39 pm

I wouldn't put Library in the same category as RC, W, or VB. All three of which have extensive grounds, sea views, and private plunge pools.

Kagehitokiri Nov 19, 2018 6:54 pm

hard to compete with W unless W has bad service

curious re limits on one-category upgrades

sizes of 'room' and pool >

W - 74 rooms
$1000 223m2 27.5m2 ocean front haven (beachfront)
$1800 350m2 50m2 wow ocean haven (beachfront)
$3700 888m2 137m2 2BR extreme wow
$5100 2044m2 ___m2 4BR seascape
rates before offers , like 30% off prepaid

RC - 175 rooms
$1500 97m2 18m2 ultimate pool villa
$1700 186m2 2BR ocean suite
$3000 255m2 60m2 3BR villa kasara

vana belle - 80 rooms
$1000 172m2 42m2 ocean pool suite
did they get rid of larger villas ?

FS - 60 villas + 11 private residences
$2100 125m2 __m2 beach villa (beachfront)
$3600 660m2 63m2 residence with live-in staff
$____ 1503m2 83m2 5BR residence with live-in staff

yerffej201 Nov 19, 2018 10:16 pm

if any, I feel the RC would be more stingy on an upgrade. the RC is also much newer than the W and the views look better also

Kagehitokiri Nov 24, 2018 12:54 pm

wow ocean haven is unobstructed beachfront
although its literally right next to another hotel..

some rooms adjacent to w beach restaurant/bar

curious what upgrade awards are available now

https://www.google.com/maps/place/W+...!4d100.0167471

VCURamFan Dec 16, 2018 8:06 pm

Originally Posted by bangkokiscool (Post 29922316)
We are staying at this property for a week. Originally booked on a points stay in a base room. Upgraded to ocean view suite before check in and confirmed free breakfast for elites (this is different than most RC properties that do not upgrade elites or offer free breakfast). There is also a sunset cocktail hour with free beer, wine, sparkling wine, and canapes. We switched to a paid rate and then went with a pool villa with stunning views.

We've been coming to KS for many years and usually stay at CKS. I'll say this - the service at RCKS is the best service we've ever received at any hotel anywhere in the world. And as others have mentioned, the breakfast is fantastic. Get a pool villa with a view, and you won't regret staying here. The hardware is not as stunning as the CKS perhaps, but the service and food and accessibility to town (renting a car here is easy) more than make up for it.

This is the only mention I've seen of free breakfast for elites, can anyone else confirm?