Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Hotels and Places to Stay > Marriott | Marriott Bonvoy
Reload this Page >

The Apollo Hotel Amsterdam, Tribute Portfolio [Master Thread]

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

The Apollo Hotel Amsterdam, Tribute Portfolio [Master Thread]

Search this Thread

Old Jun 13, 2017, 4:42 am

Programs: Bonvoy Amb LTT, HHonors Diamond, AA ExPlat, United Silver
Thumbs up

Thank you. Very helpful.

Originally Posted by nesnith
1. Hard to tell. The lobby, and certain rooms were still boarded up when I visited a couple weeks ago.

2. There are quite a bit of restaurants in De Pijp, which is about 15-20 mins walking distance from the hotel. I ate at The Seafood Bar there; the seafood was fresh. I had breakfast at Bakers & Roasters, and liked the banana nut bread French toast. Le Pain Quotidien, which I think is a chain, had some delicious croissants.

3. The area around the hotel felt quite residential to me. You may grab a seat behind the hotel restaurant (i.e. behind the Harbor Club) during sunset if the weather allows. It faces the canal, and made a nice area for reading a book (or drinking a beer!). For everything else, you would probably need to head into town. Also, if the weather permits, walk around Vondelpark.

6. Google Maps, and Yelp worked fine for me for locating restaurants, cafes, and grocery stores. Google's Project Fi worked well in Amsterdam.

Side note: SPG Craving works at the Harbor Club. SPG members get 10% off.
Old Jun 13, 2017, 4:46 am

Smile Thanks and one more question!

That works well for us and should be extremely useful. Times are limited, but fit well with current plans.

What is the best way, in your opinion, to get from the hotel to the center of Amsterdam (near the Anne Frank house)? Any advice would be appreciated.

Originally Posted by cbellero
Since the shuttle bus has a restricted schedule, I thought it might be interesting for others to post it here:

Weekdays
To Airport - 07:30, 08:30, 9:30, 16:15, 17:15, 18:15
From Airport - 08:00, 09:00, 10:00, 16:45, 17:45, 18:45

Weekends and National Holidays
To Airport - 10:45, 11:30, 12:15, 13:00, 13:45, 15:00, 15:45, 16:30, 17:15
From Airport - 11:15, 12:00, 12:45, 13:30, 14:15, 15:30, 16:15, 17:00, 17:45

The travel time is 30 minutes in each direction. The transfer to the airport should be reserved and costs 7 EUR. The transfer back to the hotel is free, on a first come first served basis and departs from platform A9 at the airport opposite the Sheraton.

The concierge informed me that the service is mostly
used by tourists which is why there are more weekend buses.
Old Jun 13, 2017, 10:56 am

Programs: AA EXP (1M+), HH Diamond, Hyatt Diamond
Originally Posted by marlee1421
What is the best way, in your opinion, to get from the hotel to the center of Amsterdam (near the Anne Frank house)? Any advice would be appreciated.
Uber. Taxi. Tram. Bus. Walk. These types of questions are probably best suited for a different thread - http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/europe-477/. Look on Google Maps.
Old Jun 13, 2017, 8:25 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: UALifetimePremierGold, Marriott LifetimeTitanium
Re: getting to Anne Frank House/center city, probably tram with a bit of walk tossed in. Taxis are pricey in AMS. I've been to AMS 15 years running for biz & always stayed on an extra day to do a museum, etc. Tram/walking was fine.

Cheers.
Old Jun 14, 2017, 3:05 am

Smile Thanks!

Perfect, thanks. Will take your advice.

Originally Posted by SkiAdcock
Re: getting to Anne Frank House/center city, probably tram with a bit of walk tossed in. Taxis are pricey in AMS. I've been to AMS 15 years running for biz & always stayed on an extra day to do a museum, etc. Tram/walking was fine.

Cheers.
Old Jun 19, 2017, 8:47 am

Smile Apollo

Currently staying at the Apollo. Free shuttle from AMS is a large Mercedes van. In AM picks up at AMS A9 at 8, 9, 10 AM only. Also has several PM pick-ups. Shuttle is free from the airport. About 20 KM to the hotel. Renovations still ongoing, but seem limited to a side first floor corridor to the restaurant. Room is nicely redone with a great canal view. The hotel is just a short walk to the large open air Albert Cuyp market. As mentioned before, it is in a nice residential area very convenient to the museum district. Front desk did recognize SPG status, your24, indicated an upgrade and offered choice of several welcome amenities. So far a very pleasant experience.
Old Jun 19, 2017, 9:20 am
Marriott 10+ Badge

Programs: LH SEN***, Bonvoy LT Titanium
SPG Dashboard

just as a side note for those who like to track stays on the Dashboard. As far as I can tell this property does not show up as an actual brand. I guess "soon to be tribute" does not put it into the "tribute" category.
Old Jun 25, 2017, 10:30 am
Marriott 10+ Badge

The only indication that I have found that it will become a tribute hotel is the splash page for the internet access.

update on the renovation: some more of the lobby has been exposed. The wall covering for the hallway has started to be applied. The ceiling lighting has been installed. At the slow pace they are going it could be another month until they are done with this renovation of the common area.

I am staying here for the next twelve days if anyone is also here and wants to meet up. Otherwise I can answer any questions.
Old Jun 25, 2017, 11:37 am
Hyatt Contributor BadgeMarriott Contributor Badge

Programs: Qatar Airways, Hyatt, Hilton, Marriott, IHG
Update: just checked the hotel's Starwood page and there's an updated message in the Announcements section saying that renovations will take place every day between 8 AM and 4 PM until August 1st. By the sounds of that, August 1st is when the hotel will finally join the Tribute Portfolio.

khabah
Old Jun 26, 2017, 3:34 am

Programs: Marriott titanium, KL/AF FB Ulti
Originally Posted by cbellero
I am staying here for the next twelve days if anyone is also here and wants to meet up. Otherwise I can answer any questions.
I'll be back for 1 night, Wednesday July 5th, let's keep in touch to see if we could grab a coffee in the Harbour Club.
Old Jun 26, 2017, 4:08 am

Programs: BAEC Gold,HHonours Diamond,SPG Plat,Carlson Gold,Accor Plat,Etihad Gold
I will be here for 2 nights this week - Wed 28 June arriving later from Brussels and staying Thursday night also.
Old Jun 27, 2017, 12:01 am
Marriott 10+ Badge

@arjen05, please ping me when you are here. I should be available in the evening.
Old Jun 27, 2017, 10:50 am

Programs: Marriott Gold, IHG Elite KLM Flying Blue,
Great waterfront terrace of the Tribute Apollohotel

Today I just passed the Apollohotel in Amsterdam. It is situated in an upscale neighbourhood in Amsterdam South.
It changed brand from LM to Windhamm and now it is a Tribute hotel. Until now I have never been in a Tribute hotel and I wondered what the difference with the Design hotels would be.
I just paid it a short visit.

The hotel is still renovating the entrance, receptionarea and lobby. The receptionarea seemed not spacious but does offer a separate SPG desk.
Upon my request the friendly duty manager showed me first a design suite with harbour view. It looks like a juniorsuite though. It offers a small area with a couch and a King bed in the rest of the area. Behind the bed is the entrance of the spacious bathroom with a separate tub and rainshower. The view of the harbour is very nice and this room offered a balcony.

The deluxe/standard rooms are very smallish, around 22-26 square meter. It does not offer a balcony.
In general the hotel offers 4 kinds of rooms. According to the dutymanager they are all different from each other.

The harbourclub of the hotel is spacious and besides the terrace one can sit just at the waterfront. The round couch and table is spacious and it reminds me of the ones in Wave, WBarcelona.
Its very relaxing.

I just wanted to have a coffee but did want to peek into the menu. The dishes are more or less Japanese.

I did hear SPG will have a discount and I asked. According to the waitress it was only for food and not for drinks, but she did not have any information why. So I decided to try to ask the manager and called her 3 times. She rushed 3 times besides me and told me later she did not hear me. She was very busy talking with two older ladies at the next table and feeding some birds in the water, speaking out loud, rushing up and down the stairs while talking to the ladies.
So I asked the waitress to call her. Well finally she came and told me she did not hear me. She did have information for me. This restaurant was not operated by the hotelmanagement so it was not a SPG restaurant. Still the restaurant wanted to join the hotel and offered 10% discount for SPG. I thought this was a really nice gesture.
In a few months the hotel would open a Frenchstyle restaurant, this restaurant will be operated by the hotel.

I am sure I will come back here, to enjoy the terrace and geen view.
Attached Images      
Old Jun 28, 2017, 6:58 am

Programs: Flying Blue
Apollo Hotel Amsterdam

Hi all,

Just a quick note with regards to above comments, to give some more perspective on things. I actually work for Apollo Hotels, and also for the Apollo Hotel Amsterdam.

With regards to the Harbour Club restaurant, since a little while it has become under hotel management and it does entitle SPG members to a discount. However the hotel is still training the staff to go through the transition.

With regards to the renovation. The public area's are not finished, we are aiming for an official launch in Q4. Of course as with any rebranding all the boxes need to be ticked before Marriott signs off and it becomes an official Tribute Portfolio.

However the way things are looking now, the lobby, hallways, the Living Room (Which will be the new lobby lounge) and the French Brasserie - La Grande Brasserie Bodon are scheduled to be finished in the next weeks (this will be done 1 by 1).

Should there be any questions or if anyone is in-house feel free to drop me and e-mail. Would be happy to show you behind the scenes or the newly renovated Design Rooms & Suites.

KR,
Bart

[email protected]
Old Jun 28, 2017, 12:17 pm

Originally Posted by claes059
Today I just passed the Apollohotel in Amsterdam. It is situated in an upscale neighbourhood in Amsterdam South.
It changed brand from LM to Windhamm and now it is a Tribute hotel. Until now I have never been in a Tribute hotel and I wondered what the difference with the Design hotels would be.
I just paid it a short visit.

The hotel is still renovating the entrance, receptionarea and lobby. The receptionarea seemed not spacious but does offer a separate SPG desk.
Upon my request the friendly duty manager showed me first a design suite with harbour view. It looks like a juniorsuite though. It offers a small area with a couch and a King bed in the rest of the area. Behind the bed is the entrance of the spacious bathroom with a separate tub and rainshower. The view of the harbour is very nice and this room offered a balcony.

The deluxe/standard rooms are very smallish, around 22-26 square meter. It does not offer a balcony.
In general the hotel offers 4 kinds of rooms. According to the dutymanager they are all different from each other.

The harbourclub of the hotel is spacious and besides the terrace one can sit just at the waterfront. The round couch and table is spacious and it reminds me of the ones in Wave, WBarcelona.
Its very relaxing.

I just wanted to have a coffee but did want to peek into the menu. The dishes are more or less Japanese.

I did hear SPG will have a discount and I asked. According to the waitress it was only for food and not for drinks, but she did not have any information why. So I decided to try to ask the manager and called her 3 times. She rushed 3 times besides me and told me later she did not hear me. She was very busy talking with two older ladies at the next table and feeding some birds in the water, speaking out loud, rushing up and down the stairs while talking to the ladies.
So I asked the waitress to call her. Well finally she came and told me she did not hear me. She did have information for me. This restaurant was not operated by the hotelmanagement so it was not a SPG restaurant. Still the restaurant wanted to join the hotel and offered 10% discount for SPG. I thought this was a really nice gesture.
In a few months the hotel would open a Frenchstyle restaurant, this restaurant will be operated by the hotel.

I am sure I will come back here, to enjoy the terrace and geen view.
Thanks for sharing your experience. My recent stay there in May was very pleasant. I also dined at the bar in the Harbour Club, and found the bar staff to be very friendly and attentive.

The staff was also very accommodating when I inquired about the SPG member discount through the SPG Craving program. They were able to provide the 10% SPG craving discount on food (not alcohol).

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.