FlyerTalk Forums

FlyerTalk Forums (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/index.php)
-   Marriott | Marriott Bonvoy (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/marriott-marriott-bonvoy-766/)
-   -   Wailea Beach Marriott Resort & Spa, Maui, Hawaii [Master Thread] (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/marriott-marriott-bonvoy/1795782-wailea-beach-marriott-resort-spa-maui-hawaii-master-thread.html)

PETEFLYS Apr 30, 2002 7:31 am

oh great I'm using a 713 award there next month,this does not sound good.I'm sorry you had a bad stay fewmiles.

TrojanHorse Apr 30, 2002 8:11 am

I had a pleasurable stay at this property, nothing great, but by no means was it a bad stay... don't know what happened as little or no details have been provided, so I would not worry about it too much

jbarm Apr 30, 2002 9:05 am

The Ren Wailea is my favorite resort in Hawaii and I have not had any problem there in three different stays. I wouldn't hesitate to recommend it at all.

That being said, one can always have a bad experience even at the best places if the right combination of bad luck and employee bad days are in the mix.

jb

TravelLover Apr 30, 2002 12:21 pm

My one experience with the Renaissance Wailea was outstanding, too. I was there last November with inexpensive airfares because of 9/11. The place was full (lots of people cashing in their MR points) but the accomodations were wonderful and the staff was terrific.

On the other hand in April 2000 I stayed at the JW Marriott Ihilani Resort on Oahu. Nobody told me that there was going to be a GMAC conference going on there during my stay! Those folks were truly terrible. Some of the facilities were closed at times for private functions (like the pool!), and the GMAC people were outright rude. Once I was asked to move from my lounge chair because a bunch of them wanted to sit together and I was in the sunny spot they wanted. Another time when the elevator door opened the GMAC people already on didn't let me enter because they were having a private conversation.

It's certainly not Marriott's fault (when I checked out and told the desk clerk how miserable it had been she sympathized with me but there really wasn't anything she could do). But it still left a really miserable taste in my mouth about that particular resort. It's a beautiful facility but I sure feel like I wasted my money there.

The vast majority of my Marriott stays are fine, and I'm sure this was just an exception as I suspect was your Wailea experience. But I know that it doesn't make it feel any better.

[This message has been edited by TravelLover (edited 04-30-2002).]

cactuspete Apr 30, 2002 1:03 pm

<font face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif" size="2">Originally posted by freeupgrade:
Issues are just too numerous to mention here, yet do involve (but are not limited to) basic employee integrity issues. Not to mention room noise, non-functioning room "amenities", employee attitudes, etc.
The list goes on, yet hopefully one gets the idea.
IM4 - I am not going to get into any more detail here other than what I have stated above. I have been through enough already with this place, so if you want more people's opinions on this property, you may wish to do a search .
</font>
That is quite irresponsible. If you are going to start a topic such as this one, you should at least post the details.

freeupgrade Apr 30, 2002 1:17 pm

CactusPete,

I am sorry you feel I am being "irresponsible" when I am under no obligation at all whatsoever to write anything here. Don't take this the wrong way, but it is a free country and I can write what I wish. As far as I am concerned, I have given enough detail here about the types of problems I have encountered at this so-called resort.

Thank you.

[This message has been edited by freeupgrade (edited 04-30-2002).]

bdschobel Apr 30, 2002 1:47 pm

I can't evaluate your complaints without knowing what they are! I have been thinking about staying at this hotel. Maybe the things that bothered you would not bother me. But I don't even know what they were! How much time would it take to provide a few details?

Bruce

ronin Apr 30, 2002 3:14 pm

I have an upcoming stay at this property, and appreciate trip reports, so would very much like to hear details; although I understand you are unhappy, I don't know why. From another standpoint, if I were a Marriott guest services agent and received a complaint without details (since they are too numerous to mention), yet the list goes on (where?), how would I start to fix the concerns?

pitflyer Apr 30, 2002 3:18 pm

Actually WHENEVER I SEE A TOPIC IN ALL CAPS I know who it's from http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/smile.gif Similarly from past experience, don't expect or ask for many details..... best to move on.

taskforcebravo Apr 30, 2002 6:55 pm

What a silly, juvenile response from freeupgrade, the threadstarter... "It's a free country, I can write what I wish"

I can think of a thousand scenarios where that line would be more appropriate. You started this thread for goodness-sakes, then refused to give details of your complaint, citing your American rights???

And to think I've dedicated my life to defending your freedom to post nonsense...

Task Force Bravo

freeupgrade May 1, 2002 12:50 am

I give up - Here goes, since inquiring minds demand to know:

1. Check-in: As PLT was upgraded to "construction site view" (i.e. supposedly ocean view), and no, I was not using a reward. I was paying a published room rate.
2. When I called to find out why I had not been upgraded to Club Level (Mokapu or something like that), was given a wide variety of responses, including: "That is based on availability",(when I knew it was available), then was told very rudely by so-called Front Desk Manager: "we do not upgrade Platinums to that wing - there are special amenities there". Oh really, (re: upgrade policy) could have fooled me based on numerous threads I have read here.
3. Lanai door broken (read: could not be opened without Maintenance assistance, smelly (i.e. moldy) area in carpet.
4. Room service: Cold french fries, strange tasting bacon in $12 club sandwich.
5. 10-15 year old TV with 1/2 channels non-operational. Very poor reception. (No I was not there to watch TV, yet this is not Motel 6 either).
6. Non-reachable (unless one is a gymnast) electrical outlet for laptop use. While I realize this is a resort, give me a break. It is 2002 and one should not have to call Maintenance for assistance in moving desk to reach outlet hidden on wall.
7. Noise factors from room to the right and floor above was really bad. I could hear like everything, and I mean everything, coming through the walls.

While this level of detail may not satisfy some, and while some will no doubt say "Big Deal" to the above, so be it.

End of my comments on this issue - except for some things which I will state in a letter to Marriott Corporate Special Services. I will not list employee names here.

ronin May 1, 2002 2:11 am

freeupgrade, I'm assuming you brought these things to the attention of the staff during your stay.

Did you speak to the manager about an upgrade? Did you ask for another room once you discovered the broken TV, lanai door, moldy carpet?

What was their reaction? Although problems may occur, a real mark of a classy joint is how they are handled.

socrates May 1, 2002 5:01 am

<font face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif" size="2">Originally posted by Dodge City:
Socrates, I'll take the direct dial. Thank you.</font>
Sorry, just checked and they've replaced all of the direct dial #'s for Guest Relations in the directory with "Dial 0" so the switchboard at HQ's can transfer the call...but here are some of the other #'s I have:

Customer Service (tier I) - 800-535-4028
direct dial 402-393-2727

Guest Relations (tier II) - 800-638-8108
Ask for Mr. Marriott's Guest Relations

socrates May 1, 2002 5:24 am

<font face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif" size="2">Originally posted by freeupgrade:
Socrates,

Thank you - I sincerely appereciate your help. Also, I have fixed email problem - hopefully one should be able to send me an email now. Sorry about that.

Issues are just too numerous to mention here, yet do involve (but are not limited to) basic employee integrity issues. Not to mention room noise, non-functioning room "amenities", employee attitudes, etc.
The list goes on, yet hopefully one gets the idea.
IM4 - I am not going to get into any more detail here other than what I have stated above. I have been through enough already with this place, so if you want more people's opinions on this property, you may wish to do a search .

[This message has been edited by freeupgrade (edited 04-30-2002).]
</font>
You've got email....all I can say is I'm sorry for you're experience. As a Platinum we do appreciate your loyalty and I'm sure Guest Relations and the hotel GM would appreciate your feedback.

** Tag Line ** I'm here only as an interested party and not officially as a Marriott Representative

TrojanHorse May 1, 2002 8:17 am

from my recollection at this place:

1.I didn't know any of the rooms faced to the North side of the hotel where the construction is?

2. As for the upgrade to the Mokapu rooms, I knew going in that they didn't do these upgrades from my research here on FT although I did request a couple of times it anyway and was politely turned down. I also knew of availability of those rooms.

3 that sucks, I hate that when that happens.. legit beef

4. Never had a problem however couldn't you have refused to pay for that by sending it back... I would have fought them on this one

5. No prob with the TV although I do recall a lousy selection of channels

6. I hear ya, although this seems to be a problem at many hotels that I've stayed at

7. again no problem here for me but did you try to be reassigned, using that issue and asking again for a Mokapu or better u/g?

I give up - Here goes, since inquiring minds demand to know:

1. Check-in: As PLT was upgraded to "construction site view" (i.e. supposedly ocean view), and no, I was not using a reward. I was paying a published room rate.
2. When I called to find out why I had not been upgraded to Club Level (Mokapu or something like that), was given a wide variety of responses, including: "That is based on availability",(when I knew it was available), then was told very rudely by so-called Front Desk Manager: "we do not upgrade Platinums to that wing - there are special amenities there". Oh really, (re: upgrade policy) could have fooled me based on numerous threads I have read here.
3. Lanai door broken (read: could not be opened without Maintenance assistance, smelly (i.e. moldy) area in carpet.
4. Room service: Cold french fries, strange tasting bacon in $12 club sandwich.
5. 10-15 year old TV with 1/2 channels non-operational. Very poor reception. (No I was not there to watch TV, yet this is not Motel 6 either).
6. Non-reachable (unless one is a gymnast) electrical outlet for laptop use. While I realize this is a resort, give me a break. It is 2002 and one should not have to call Maintenance for assistance in moving desk to reach outlet hidden on wall.
7. Noise factors from room to the right and floor above was really bad. I could hear like everything, and I mean everything, coming through the walls.

While this level of detail may not satisfy some, and while some will no doubt say "Big Deal" to the above, so be it.

End of my comments on this issue - except for some things which I will state in a letter to Marriott Corporate Special Services. I will not list employee names here.
</font>