FlyerTalk Forums

FlyerTalk Forums (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/index.php)
-   Marriott | Marriott Bonvoy (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/marriott-marriott-bonvoy-766/)
-   -   Wailea Beach Marriott Resort & Spa, Maui, Hawaii [Master Thread] (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/marriott-marriott-bonvoy/1795782-wailea-beach-marriott-resort-spa-maui-hawaii-master-thread.html)

socrates Feb 26, 2002 5:34 am

<font face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif" size="2">Originally posted by rmccamy:
Many travel agent bookings do not accrue MR points, according to this hotel. I asked when I first made my award booking because I was still shopping around for rates (not with Wholesalers - just normal travel agents). I'm not sure if they were pulling my chain or not.

Anyway, I couldn't find an agent who would beat $1495 for a 5-night Mokapu stay. Plus, I found the concept of prepaying the whole thing ahead of time to be somewhat annoying. As usual, I found that most travel agents are effective with smoke-and-mirrors. (5th night free, booze credit, honeymoon upgrades, and other specials mysteriously did NOT apply for me when I asked about them.)
</font>
Remember that in HA travel agent "Wholesale" rates are big business...so I'm not sure if they quoted you a "non-qualified" rate (which would have given you points or a wholesale rate (TA's earn commission on both....you only earn points on 1)

socrates Feb 26, 2002 5:42 am

<font face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif" size="2">Originally posted by T Q:
I was told I would get the points for my stay at the Ren Wailea even though I booked the Ent rate. (they didn't post yet but I just checked out 2/23/02 afternoon)..i'll update this post when they do. I also am counting on double points promo (2nd stay w/ 1st in SJC Courtyard for the park & fly). I also used the $1000 vacation card (obtained a 10% discount for that) and paid for my bill with a combo of vacation card $1000 and my Marriott Visa for the double points promo. The statement i got at checkout listed the vacation card as a visa item also. So, I'm hoping my $1300 in charges give me double points since it's all against a visa. I hope that makes sense. i'll let you know.. T Q</font>
I'd mail your folio in...you earned points

[This message has been edited by socrates (edited 02-26-2002).]

rmccamy Feb 26, 2002 8:28 am

<font face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif" size="2">Originally posted by socrates:
Remember that in HA travel agent "Wholesale" rates are big business...so I'm not sure if they quoted you a "non-qualified" rate (which would have given you points or a wholesale rate (TA's earn commission on both....you only earn points on 1)</font>
Hmmm. I don't really know enough about the topic to be sure. All I know is that I checked 3-4 websites and made a couple of phone calls, asking about 5 nights in a confirmed beachfront room with 2 full breakfasts included each day. I knew I already had my choice of an award stay or a $299 nightly rate, but wanted to cover the bases and make sure I wasn't missing a great rate. (I wasn't.) The rates were higher than Marriotts by quite a ways - very non-wholesale in nature.

socrates Feb 26, 2002 12:24 pm

<font face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif" size="2">Originally posted by rmccamy:
Hmmm. I don't really know enough about the topic to be sure. All I know is that I checked 3-4 websites and made a couple of phone calls, asking about 5 nights in a confirmed beachfront room with 2 full breakfasts included each day. I knew I already had my choice of an award stay or a $299 nightly rate, but wanted to cover the bases and make sure I wasn't missing a great rate. (I wasn't.) The rates were higher than Marriotts by quite a ways - very non-wholesale in nature.</font>
Unfortunately just because a rate is higher than the "non-qualified rate" does not mean it's not a wholesaler rate...shouldn't happen but sometimes it does

rmccamy Feb 26, 2002 4:01 pm

Slight change of topic here:

Are there any restaurants at the Renaissance Wailea at which the "Dinner for Two" coupons would be valuable? The coupons include a full meal (with app, salad, etc.), tax, and gratuity for two. Booze extra. Cost is $90, and the dinner does not earn points at the hotel (although you could buy the certs with your MR Visa).

Looks like just about any restaurant in a Marriott participates, except chains that happen to be in the hotel (i.e., Ruth's Chris, Benihana, etc.).

T Q Feb 26, 2002 6:45 pm

The Palm Court was the "main restaurant that served the buffet breakfasts and I believe buffet dinners too. Sunset Terrace at lobby level is their cocktail lounge. The Maui Onion is their poolside restaurant and bar. The Maui Onion's food is rated highly..very casual and I think they stop serving food at 5:30 pm. The Hana Gion japanese restaurant is also highly rated by sushi lovers etc. That's inside the Ren Wailea. Looked interesting but not our family's type of food interest.

We went out to Joes Bar and Grill nearby (owned by former record producer Joe Gannon with lot's of recording artist memorabilia for the decor). It had nice atmosphere overlooking Wailea Tennis Club. Service we weren't happy with (waiter had NO personality) and my food was okay. It may have been a fluke though cuz the concierge couldn't say enough good things about it. But we had just come from Kona and had gone to Roys (out of this world!). Roy's has a restaurant in Kihei too nearby. And I would highly recommend it. Roy Yamaguchi is a well known chef with 15 restaurants now..maybe all in Hawaii? i'm not positive about that. Then there's Wailea Steak & Seafood which is a former Chart House with a nice atmosphere. We went there for their lava cake dessert only and enjoyed that. That's very close to Ren Wailea.

rmccamy Feb 27, 2002 9:24 am

All of those restaurants sound great (I love sushi), but none look like a "dinner for two" coupon candidate.

TrojanHorse Feb 27, 2002 4:46 pm

Don't forget to buy the $20 Renaissance Wailea cup, it allows you free soda, ice tea and coffee the entire time of your stay. It more than paid for itself when I did it.

DADISGARYK Feb 27, 2002 9:21 pm

<font face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif" size="2">Originally posted by TrojanHorse:
Don't forget to buy the $20 Renaissance Wailea cup, it allows you free soda, ice tea and coffee the entire time of your stay. It more than paid for itself when I did it. </font>
I bet it would...

I just came back from Camelback where a cup of coffee, not a large, not a specialty, just a regular cup, was $2.25 plus tax. Almost $5 for daily coffee would be a lot...thanks for the tip.

PS -- Do they advertise this at all?

TrojanHorse Feb 28, 2002 5:29 am

Yes they do, they stack up these big blue, white plastic cups near the starbuck's booth near the main floor bar with a sign saying $20/free refills for your stay

<font face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif" size="2">Originally posted by DADISGARYK:
I bet it would...

I just came back from Camelback where a cup of coffee, not a large, not a specialty, just a regular cup, was $2.25 plus tax. Almost $5 for daily coffee would be a lot...thanks for the tip.

PS -- Do they advertise this at all?

</font>

T Q Feb 28, 2002 11:18 pm

My points just posted.. I got 14000 points total for my $1200 bill. (incl 20% silver level bonus). Now I have to look into the double points issue for the marriott visa usage w/that being my 2nd stay. i've emailed marriott rewards but I think i'll call them in the am. ..i'll update this post when i find out.

I just got an email from marriott rewards. they promised to credit me w/double points. they said i didn't initially get them cuz the Ren Wailea didn't show it as paid w/VISA. But they verified I did use my VISA for partial payment. YEAH!!!!

[This message has been edited by T Q (edited 03-02-2002).]

T Q Mar 4, 2002 7:09 pm

Good news..Today I got my double bonus points for the marriott visa promo! So, my stay at the Ren Wailea Makapu Beach room (4 nights @ $275 a night Entertainment rate) netted me (total points) as follows:

12000 base points (1200 dollars x 10)
12000 double bonus points (marriott visa)
2300 elite bonus points (silver elite)
900 pts(300 on marriott visa X 3)
905 pts(vacation card charged before trip
on marriott visa)
_____

28,105 total points for a 4 night stay

The vacation card purchase through marriott actually only gave me 905 points. I thought I'd get the 3x deal on it but I was told that the 3x deal is strictly for hotel property charges. oh well!

And as I stated before, I used the $1000 vacation Card (purchased at Marriott's website for $900) and used the Entertainment rate for the room along with $300 paid for with my Marriott Visa. I also had $75 in marriott certs from the milesource website that I used to defray my bill. I didn't get points for using those. they just whacked the bill down 75, then applied my vacation card for $1000, then $300 for the remainder.

I love promotions. I just finished a free 6 night stay at the Hilton Waikoloa before checking into the Rennaissance Wailea! Woo Woo!

rmccamy Mar 6, 2002 4:29 pm

TQ: That's kind of funny...in six months, I'm doing almost an indentical itinerary, only in reverse.

Starting with 5 nights at Ren Wailea - $299 beachfront rate (M11), although I've been meaning to check to see if the ENT rate is lower. (If it is, I will buy the book.) Two $1000 vacation cards for $900 each to pay for the stay. (I will purchase these on May 12, the unless their availability is extended once again.)

Then I'm off to the Big Island for a 6 night ALON at Hilton Waikaloa.

Unfortunately, I won't get those double MR points in September. Still, I'll always keep my eyes open for promotions, lower rates, discount certificates, etc.

honu Mar 6, 2002 4:51 pm

T Q, you should have received points for using the $75 Marriott cheques. I've used them in combination with a VISA for the last two double points promos, and I always received points for the whole amount spent.

T Q Mar 6, 2002 10:48 pm

rccamy: we really enjoyed our trip. My husband is thankful I have this addiction now. FYI, the Ren Wailea has fridges in the room, the HWV does not. Oh, you can use the entertainment card from your own area for the discounted hotel rate. they just ask for the card you carry in your wallet..(doesn't have to be from Hawaii version of Ent book).

Honu..I agree that I should have received the double points for the $75 marriott cheques. Maybe I'll hop on the phone and plead my case. My folio clearly shows they were used. The total dollar amount with the way it was calculated showed the total without the $75. thanks for the encouragement. I might as well go for another 150 points now.