Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Hotels and Places to Stay > Marriott | Marriott Bonvoy
Reload this Page >

Wailea Beach Marriott Resort & Spa, Maui, Hawaii [Master Thread]

Old Dec 23, 2017, 4:40 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: windhund
Has an Arrival/Departure Lounge, where travelers can unwind after a long flight. Personal showers and lockers in the lounge also are available to those who need to check out of their rooms before leaving the resort.

Has an amazing view from the Adult Only Infinity Pool

Daily resort fee USD 30 plus tax will be added to rate. As of 2018, the resort fee benefits were as listed below. However, this list came from a card labeled "Resort Fees & Amenities: Elite", and it's not clear which ones are different for or apply only to elites. There's also a disclaimer: "The Resort Fee includes a variety of amenities for our guests. Please note some amenities are subject to availability."
  • Complimentary daily internet
  • Unlimited US Domestic, long distance & local phone calls
  • Outgoing domestic US fax service (up to 20 pages)
  • 15% on Laundry and Dry Cleaning Services
  • 30-minute personal photo session and package upgrade
  • Daily Fitness Classes
  • Daily Hawaiian Cultural Activities
  • 1 hour bicycle rental (2 bicycles per stay)
  • Bottled Water (2 per day)
  • Welcome shell lei greeting upon arrival
  • Courtesy rides within the Wailea Resort (upon availability)
  • Beach Chair Rental (2 per day)
  • Cabana Rentals: 10% discount on full-day cabana rentals at 'Ohi pools, Maluhia pools & NALU adventure pool. Dial 'At Your Service' for reservations
  • Mandara Spa: 10% discount on 50-minute service (excludes special promotions and events)
  • Ocean Concierge & Activities: 20% discount on weekly paddle board rental; complimentary fish identification card; complimentary introductory morning scuba lesson. Visit the 'Ohio Pools for reservations.
  • The Movie House: complimentary movie screenings. View the weekly schedule for showtimes.
  • GameSpace: complimentary access to GameSapce, featuring foosball, billiards, shuffleboard, vintage arcade and Xbox games [for those who haven't been back since the renovation, this is an indoor gaming area they added as part of the renovations. It's at the far end of the lobby opposite the Starbucks.]
  • Akamai Business Center: 20% discount on FedEx & UPS Shipping
Print Wikipost

Wailea Beach Marriott Resort & Spa, Maui, Hawaii [Master Thread]

Old Nov 4, 2008, 3:03 pm
dlf

Programs: AA Plat 3MM, DL PLT, Mrt Plat, IC Amb Gld. Hil Gld,Hy Gld, AS MVP Gld
Location, location, location

Keep in mind that a request for ocean view can either be in the high rise portion of the property, or in one of the low rise buildings. Depending on the ages of the kids, you might want to call ahead to the hotel and plead your case for a preference a day or so prior to arrival.
Old Jan 15, 2009, 8:12 am

Programs: UA 1.3 MM, UA Plt, Marriott Lifetime Gold, SPG Lifetime Gold, SPG Platinum, Hyatt Explorist
Wailea Beach Marriott

I am headed to Maui next weekend and staying at the Wailea Beach Marriott. Anything special about the hotel? Do they even have a conceirge lounge or is it geared toward vacationers.

Thanks!
Old Jan 15, 2009, 9:42 am

Programs: Delta PE, SPG PE
I stayed there in Nov and loved the place. As Plat, got upgraded room as well. As most other resorts, there is no C lounge.

A couple notes...

Skip the resort fee when you get there, not worth it. You can search on here to see what it gives you and will come to that conclusion as I did. Self park the car as well, Valet is a total waste of money as it will only save you a 150 foot walk. Also, the parking spots are plentiful and large enough for an SUV unlike what other posts would suggest. Oh yea, it's Maui, pad your wallet before going
Old Jan 15, 2009, 10:47 am

Getting around Resort Fee?

How is this possible.
I thought that since this is Marriott there's no way around this unless it's just for parking and you don't have a car. Please correct me if I'm wrong.
We're considering staying here or at Hyatt using points at Xmas.
Thanks
Carolyn
Old Jan 15, 2009, 11:41 am

Programs: UA Gold 1MM, Hyatt Plat, SPG Plat
We stayed there in October 08 on a points stay and were given the option at check-in of paying the resort fee or not. We had a car to park, so we went ahead and did it. As I recall the resort fee includes self-parking, discount at the restaurant, free coctail, etc. If I had to do it again, I'd probably skip the resort fee.

Did get upgraded to a ocean view room. Kids really liked the children's pool and Wailea Beach. Had a great time. Hotel itself was a little rough around the edges, but the staff was great and the location was excellent.
Old Jan 15, 2009, 3:01 pm

Programs: SWA, UA, Delta, Hilton Gold, Marriott Gold
went last March, we were charged the resort fee and we didn't even have a car...
Old Jan 15, 2009, 5:49 pm

Programs: Delta PE, SPG PE
The resort fee can be waived if staying on points which I shouldn't have assumed was the case.
Old Feb 3, 2009, 4:14 pm

Maui Ocean Club or Wailea Beach

Plan on spending 5 nights at one of them.
75,000 points for Ocean Club vs 140,000 for Wailea.

So which would you recommend? Just my wife and I. We don't have kids, we are young and adventurous. Love beach, snorkeling and hiking. We would like a small kitchen/kitchenette if possible. Any recommendations would be nice.

I know from reading I would be fine at the Wailea and probably the Ocean Club, but since one is half the points of the other, makes me want to think this through.

Thanks in advance.
Old Feb 3, 2009, 8:08 pm

Programs: AA GLD 1.xMM, MAR SLV, HH DMND, IHG PLT
Maui Ocean Club may have a small kitchen if you can get into the time shares section (which is hard to do on points).

Wailea is a better location and we have stayed there.

Personally, both my wife/I would pick the lower points option so you can use the remaining 70K for another trip.

You can always drive to the Wailea area (since you need a rental car in Maui).

Have a good time!
Old Feb 4, 2009, 5:59 am
Moderator, Marriott Bonvoy & FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: United Silver; AA Plat/2MM; Marriott LT Titanium; IHG Plat; Hilton Diamond
Actually, the 75K for the award means you are looking at the studio side of one of the Timeshare units. Basically, you will have a normal hotel room with maybe a small "kitchen" sink and a small refrig, if your lucky. Just assume you are getting a normal hotel room.

With that I would tend to agree with miles_navigator and say go for the lower points option. For basically half the points you get virtually the same thing. ^
Old Feb 4, 2009, 7:25 am

I saw that construction is listed until June 2009. While my trip is 4 months after that, I hope it's not to invasive. Thanks for the suggestions and I will go the Maui Ocean Club and hope having some status will maybe bump us up to a better room. Thanks.
Old Feb 4, 2009, 7:37 am
Suspended

Programs: Intercontinental RA/BA/BMI/Virgin
wailea every time

we think wailea is just the best, you are a short walk from the massive hilton, 4 seasons and a slightly longer one to the fairmont where you can get great meals, wailea had a more up market feel than kanapaali which can feel less sophisticated (though it is nice none the less) the rooms at the wailea marriott were refurbed acouple of years ago, i havent stayed there since the refurb so any thoughts on that would be great.. but we would splurge the points and go for wailea every time. Its also just across the road from a beautiful mall (yes this mall is beautiul!)
Old Feb 4, 2009, 8:06 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: MR/SPG LT Titanium, AA LT PLT, UA SLV, Avis PreferredPlus
I'd agree with spending the minimum points needed to get a good, solid, functional property, with quality amenities, beach, etc. I've been to Maui a few times and rarely spend more than sleep time and an hour or two per day in the room. I agree that having a small kitchen/fridge/stove is very beneficial.

I stayed at the Ka'anapali North SPG property the second week it was opened and everything was fine, so I wouldn't worry about the construction schedule.
Old Feb 4, 2009, 4:43 pm

Programs: AA GLD 1.xMM, MAR SLV, HH DMND, IHG PLT
Originally Posted by bananacake
we think wailea is just the best, you are a short walk from the massive hilton, 4 seasons and a slightly longer one to the fairmont where you can get great meals, wailea had a more up market feel than kanapaali which can feel less sophisticated (though it is nice none the less) the rooms at the wailea marriott were refurbed acouple of years ago, i havent stayed there since the refurb so any thoughts on that would be great.. but we would splurge the points and go for wailea every time. Its also just across the road from a beautiful mall (yes this mall is beautiul!)
bananacake, you are 100% right about wailea properties! With the recent points inflation at MR , deflation of points earnings business trips at the day job (at least for me) these days, I am in the points hoarding mind set now.
Old Feb 5, 2009, 10:08 pm

Programs: Marriott Lifetime Plat, IHG Gold
I loved my stay at Wailea, however your room will probably be more functional at the Maui Ocean Club. IIRC we did get a small fridge at Wailea but no kitchenette possible, at least with what we had.

Agree with others on saving the points.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.