FlyerTalk Forums

FlyerTalk Forums (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/index.php)
-   Marriott | Marriott Bonvoy (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/marriott-marriott-bonvoy-766/)
-   -   The Ritz Carlton Hong Kong [Master Thread] (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/marriott-marriott-bonvoy/1777381-ritz-carlton-hong-kong-master-thread.html)

Aventine Jun 4, 2019 9:00 pm

Originally Posted by GetSetJetSet (Post 31169834)
How much of a hassle is it to get from the hotel to Central? I have an upcoming 4 night stay and booked 2 nights in Central at The Pottinger, then 2 nights at the RC to detox and check the hotel out, but should I decide my detox plans were a bit hasty and want to get back into the thick of things, is it a major project? I seem to recall the hotel being a bit tucked away.

I would just stay in a Central hotel if you want to eat and drink there. Not worth the hassle of commuting.

moondog Jun 4, 2019 10:46 pm

Originally Posted by Aventine (Post 31171606)
I would just stay in a Central hotel if you want to eat and drink there. Not worth the hassle of commuting.

+1

Actually, after already spending 2 days in Central, I would consider moving to Wanchai if I wanted a change of pace, though admittedly this might not be conducive to the detox goal.

SHLTP Jun 4, 2019 10:47 pm

RC not the best location unless you have meetings in that area like to Morgan Stanley. Not super easy through all the underground tunnels to MTR or cheap if you take western tunnel by taxi.

It is not easy to walk the fun sites in Kowloon. I'd choose a central location or one in TST

GetSetJetSet Jun 5, 2019 10:00 am

Originally Posted by Aventine (Post 31171606)

I am for the first two nights. I booked the Ritz with an eye towards having a convenient excuse to NOT go meet my friends at bars, hiding out in Kowloon and maybe getting some tailoring done. Just thinking WORST case if I crack and decide to double back.

GetSetJetSet Jun 5, 2019 10:00 am

Originally Posted by moondog (Post 31171791)
+1

though admittedly this might not be conducive to the detox goal.

*"detoxes" at Dusk Till Dawn*

Bfhause Jun 5, 2019 10:27 am

Originally Posted by SHLTP (Post 31171794)
RC not the best location unless you have meetings in that area like to Morgan Stanley. Not super easy through all the underground tunnels to MTR or cheap if you take western tunnel by taxi.

It is not easy to walk the fun sites in Kowloon. I'd choose a central location or one in TST

Which property would you recommend?

moondog Jun 5, 2019 6:44 pm

Originally Posted by GetSetJetSet (Post 31173251)
I am for the first two nights. I booked the Ritz with an eye towards having a convenient excuse to NOT go meet my friends at bars, hiding out in Kowloon and maybe getting some tailoring done. Just thinking WORST case if I crack and decide to double back.

Are there reasonably priced --high quality-- tailors near Elements? Most of my friends have tailors they like in or near TST, which is actually easier to get to from Central.

SHLTP Jun 9, 2019 9:03 pm

Originally Posted by Bfhause (Post 31173328)
Which property would you recommend?

Depends on whether you want to stay in Marriott family or not. I personally love TST area, so I'd go with Sheraton if Marriott family... or Peninsula if not. They just opened a Rosewood where I think the old Intercon was (someone correct me please if I am wrong). I haven't stayed yet but the area is nice and the reviews excellent.

In HK side, I like JW usually but haven't stayed at the STR yet. I don't love the STR location either. 4S and MO are excellent

Fly Me To The Moon Jun 10, 2019 7:52 am

Originally Posted by SHLTP (Post 31187040)
Depends on whether you want to stay in Marriott family or not. I personally love TST area, so I'd go with Sheraton if Marriott family... or Peninsula if not. They just opened a Rosewood where I think the old Intercon was (someone correct me please if I am wrong). I haven't stayed yet but the area is nice and the reviews excellent.

In HK side, I like JW usually but haven't stayed at the STR yet. I don't love the STR location either. 4S and MO are excellent

No, the InterCon is still there. The Rosewood is in the adjacent lot where the New World Hotel used to be.

moondog Jun 10, 2019 7:55 am

Anyone who wants to experience HK (as opposed to looking at it) should stay in HK.

phant0m Jul 26, 2019 8:00 am

Normal club booking got upgraded to Deluxe Suite with City/Mountain view with Plat. There's a Harbour view available tomorrow for the rest of my trip. Wonder if I should ask to move to that one tomorrow.

bhrubin Jul 26, 2019 1:05 pm

Originally Posted by phant0m (Post 31344926)
Normal club booking got upgraded to Deluxe Suite with City/Mountain view with Plat. There's a Harbour view available tomorrow for the rest of my trip. Wonder if I should ask to move to that one tomorrow.

It can't hurt to ask...as long as you're comfortable that they can and might say no. We're not entitled to anything but the "standard" (base level) suites. after all, so anything more is gravy!

NJFlyer_HOHO Aug 17, 2019 1:13 pm

Just stay here. Don't even think about it.

A bit long but... oh well. here it is.

We just got back from a 4-night stay at the Ritz Carlton Hong Kong. We LOVED IT!!!! Most of the reviews here have already mentioned the rooms and the venue, so I will focus on our experience and the specific outstanding treatments we obtained during our stay in my review here.

A week prior to our arrival, the Assistant Guest Relations Manager personally emailed me to inquire about our preferences during our stay (i.e., dietary requirements, housekeeping requests, etc). I provided her some basic information about our preferences and had some back and forth emails with some mentions that we will be traveling as a family of 3, arriving early, and that my daughter will be traveling with her little stuff animal called Bear Bear. The whole process was genuine and prompt. It was very professional.

Our red-eye flight arrived early, landed at 5:30AM and we arrived the front door of the hotel by 7AM. The bell hop quickly took all of our suitcases and brought us up to the check-in desk on the 103rd floor. Even before we got to the check-in counter, the Overnight Front Office Agent was already greeting me and my family from afar, as he was expecting our early arrival. The hotel staff surprised my 8-yo daughter with a Ritz Kids “Pierre” backpack with tons of activities inside. My daughter was elated! Over the course of our 4-night stay, she completed all of the activities and collected all the stamps for a cup of ice-cream!!

Our room was upgraded to a suite. How beautiful!!! Even better, the room was decorated with welcoming balloons, top-notch pastries for our breakfast (very thoughtful as we just got off an red-eye from EWR to HKG and it was early in the morning), very fancy macaroons and candies, and a giant welcome card for my daughter with a special bear theme. We were so surprised by all these things. We never had treatment like this in any hotels we had ever stayed at (and I stayed at many really nice hotels around the world over the years). The team at the Ritz in Hong Kong is truly world-class and really understand and treat their customer to the highest standard.

During our stay in Hong Kong, we enjoyed more time at the hotel and its facilities more than we had planned. The hotel was just too beautiful, and the services were so fantastic that we didn’t want to leave. We pretty much enjoyed many of the amenities (the pool – many times, the restaurants like Tosca, The Lounge & Bar for breakfast and dinner, Ozone for our drinks). Everywhere we went was met with genuine smiles and great services. Nothing was too much trouble for the staff.

Special mention to the staff at Tosca... As many of you know, RC in HK has two Michelin starred restaurants. I had tried Tin Lung Heen from my previous (non-stay) visit for lunch. This time, as a staying guest, we went to Tosca with my family and two outside guests (well, my cousin and her son). I was worried that we were under-dressed (I had a pair of shorts on - nice shorts mind you but definitely not business causal) and we had 2 young children (8 and 11-yo), so we might not be welcomed. But I was dying to try another Michelin Star restaurant at the RC, so I took a chance. By the time we got to the maitre de at Tosca, she welcomed us and provided us a menu to see if we would like the food. Since I already knew what the food was, I said just go ahead and seat us if there was a table. She immediately asked one of the staffs there to prepare a table for us. She didn't question my outfit and didn't roll her eyes that we had two young children with us. Best of all, we got seated at the corner table where we had a panoramic view of the harbor (probably the best seat in the house). The lady who served us (forgot her name) was extremely helpful and friendly at the same time. She helped my daughter and my nephew on their food selection and suggested great options for the adults. We had a very great experience there and didn't feel we were out of place.

Overall, I would stay there in a heartbeat. Yes, there is a bit of a walk from the hotel to TST. We ended up just taking a taxi to TST anyway when we needed to go there. But for the level of service and amenities that RC offers, it blows any other Bonvoy hotels in HK out of the water. I would not even consider staying any other Bonvoy properties in HK.

bhrubin Aug 17, 2019 1:20 pm

@NJFlyer_HOHO thanks for sharing! Glad to hear you had such a wonderful stay!

nexusCFX Nov 11, 2019 10:56 pm

Some great deals here right now if you're going to HK despite recent events. Booked deluxe club level suite for Dec 27-29, 3000 HKD a night. Deluxe victoria harbour suite available same time for 3500 a night. Was previously booked using club level upgrade certs and it was still 3430 HKD a night for the standard room.