FlyerTalk Forums

FlyerTalk Forums (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/index.php)
-   Marriott | Marriott Bonvoy (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/marriott-marriott-bonvoy-766/)
-   -   The Ritz Carlton Hong Kong [Master Thread] (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/marriott-marriott-bonvoy/1777381-ritz-carlton-hong-kong-master-thread.html)

yorkboy24 May 8, 2020 11:56 pm

Half of your stay is on Us

Limited time offer only for Marriott Bonvoy™ Members
Make your next getaway twice as fulfilling by saving 50% off your stay. Book by 10 May 2020 to enjoy 50% off for Suites or Villas on stays through 7 June, 2020. Valid in any of the participating hotels & resorts in Mainland China, Hong Kong SAR, Macau SAR and Taiwan.

Try with code M96. Only good for the next 3 weeks so only really for staycations. Even at that price I’d rather go out for lots of meals as I already have a place in hk. And we can’t travel to any of the other areas until at least 7th June.

Isochronous May 11, 2020 1:33 am

I booked a Deluxe Suite for next weekend using the M96 promotion. I cancelled a base room for the same dates I had previously booked for $2k HKD a night before this suite promotion was announced.

Also, I found it interesting that the welcome email I received within a few hours of making the suite upgrade referred to my Platinum status and said I was entitled to an upgrade subject to availability, whereas the email from the hotel for the base room I booked a few days earlier (but subsequently cancelled) makes no reference to status benefits and simply asks me if I want to pay $1k per night for club access. Is their policy to only upgrade Platinums if they book a suite?

They still have Deluxe Victoria Harbour, Premier Executive, and Carlton Suites available for my dates so I wonder if I will get upgraded to one of those.

bgriff May 11, 2020 7:29 am

Originally Posted by Isochronous (Post 32365386)
Also, I found it interesting that the welcome email I received within a few hours of making the suite upgrade referred to my Platinum status and said I was entitled to an upgrade subject to availability, whereas the email from the hotel for the base room I booked a few days earlier (but subsequently cancelled) makes no reference to status benefits and simply asks me if I want to pay $1k per night for club access. Is their policy to only upgrade Platinums if they book a suite?

Not sure if I totally understand your question, but Ritz-Carltons are not required to offer club access to any elite members, and most don't. I believe the general experience at this property has been that even for those who are upgraded to a suite, club access is *not* extended for free alongside it. And AFAIK this hotel doesn't have separate dedicated club rooms (except possibly for the highest suite categories); any club room/suite category is just one of the same-category rooms with club access permitted. So buying club access is a separate consideration from any possible upgrade.

That said, there is a separate issue that a lot of hotels also have standard emails that go out talking about buying upgrades that are sent to everyone with no consideration of what one's elite status may already get you, either.

Isochronous May 11, 2020 12:11 pm

Originally Posted by bgriff (Post 32365872)
Not sure if I totally understand your question, but Ritz-Carltons are not required to offer club access to any elite members, and most don't. I believe the general experience at this property has been that even for those who are upgraded to a suite, club access is *not* extended for free alongside it. And AFAIK this hotel doesn't have separate dedicated club rooms (except possibly for the highest suite categories); any club room/suite category is just one of the same-category rooms with club access permitted. So buying club access is a separate consideration from any possible upgrade.

That said, there is a separate issue that a lot of hotels also have standard emails that go out talking about buying upgrades that are sent to everyone with no consideration of what one's elite status may already get you, either.

Perhaps my post was not clear. I well understand that there is no ordinary entitlement to club access based on status. My point was:

1) When I booked a base room, the welcome email mentioned the $1,000 per night offer to buy club access.
2) When I booked a suite, the welcome email mentioned that the provide room upgrades subject to availability based on Platinum status.

Thus my question was whether they only give room upgrades when you book a suite outright as opposed to the base room.

GoSh4rks May 11, 2020 12:38 pm

Per the Bonvoy T&C, Plats do not qualify for suite upgrades at RCs.

At The Ritz-Carlton, suites are only included for Titanium Elite and Ambassador Elite Members and rooms with direct Club access are excluded.
IME, RC HK certainly does upgrade Plats though. Staying on an associate rate, my Plat dad was offered either a Grand Seaview or Deluxe Victoria Harbor.

Isochronous May 11, 2020 11:18 pm

Thanks, GoSh4rks. So it seems that they will upgrade Plats from the base room but just not into suites as per the T&Cs you quoted. But interesting that this is not officially stated in the welcome email when booking the base room, whereas it is mentioned if you book a suite outright - thus I wonder if I end up getting a higher level of suite.

KKD Jun 16, 2020 12:03 pm

Hello FTers,
Has anyone got a chance to try out both the Club breakfast and the breakfast buffet now served at the Lounge?
Is there any big difference (like more varieties/Chinese dishes in the restaurant)?

Also how's the dinner offer at the Club?

Thank you!

littlevoices Jun 17, 2020 11:50 pm

In case anyone isn't on their mailing list, there is a flash sale that appears to offer about 25% off. Note, there is some odd wording about not earning points on the accommodation/benefits and similar which seems to be against Marriott's general spirit of the T&Cs.

https://www.buys.hk/rchk/html/flash-...eckout-en.html

Don’t miss these:
• $500 Dining Voucher – from HK$500 to HK$345
• $5,000 Accommodation Voucher – from HK$5,000 to HK$3,445
• Tin Lung Heen Six-Course Set Menu for One (Lunch or Dinner) – from HK$888 to HK$657
• Tosca di Angelo Weekend Four-Course Set Lunch for One – from HK$748 to HK$554
• Café 103 Dinner Buffet for One (Sunday to Thursday) – from HK$738 to HK$508
• Café 103 Dinner Buffet for One (Friday to Saturday) – from HK$768 to HK$529
• The Lounge & Bar Afternoon Tea Set for Two – from HK$698 to HK$481
• Ozone Sunday Brunch For One – from HK$488 to HK$336
• The Perfect Roast Takeaway: Roasted French Chicken served with selection of garnish, soup and cake (for four persons) – from HK$1,500 to HK$1,034
• 120 Minutes Unwind Body and Mind Experience – from HK$3,250 to HK$2,239
• One Month Fitness & Pool Membership – from HK$6,888 to HK$4,746
• Catering & Events Gift Voucher (Valued at HK$40,000) – from HK$40,000 to HK$30,000
• Elegance and Vibrancy Mooncake Gift Box – from HK$398 to HK$274

anonymous_third_party Sep 5, 2020 5:08 am

Got a 2 night stay booked for next weekend at RC - hopefully, swimming pools are open by then!

Very frustrating Platinum elite doesn't get you access to Club Lounge - what other benefits will I get?

Starting to think maybe I should switch to the W?

bgriff Sep 5, 2020 6:39 am

[QUOTE=anonymous_third_party;32653791]Got a 2 night stay booked for next weekend at RC - hopefully, swimming pools are open by then!

Very frustrating Platinum elite doesn't get you access to Club Lounge - what other benefits will I get?[/QUOTE
Not much. No breakfast either. And suite upgrade entitlements at R-C start at Titanium.

[QUOTE=anonymous_third_party;32653791Starting to think maybe I should switch to the W?[/QUOTE]
The W doesn’t have a lounge but you would get breakfast at least, and they’re usually fairly good about upgrades, especially since I imagine they’re pretty empty these days. But it’s not quite as luxurious a hotel and there are no views directly toward the harbor, only out to the west.

Not sure what the current status of pools at either hotel is but the W’s pool is outdoors, whereas IIRC the R-C’s is inside(?), so the W pool may be more enjoyable this time of year.

zack14 Sep 5, 2020 6:50 am

Originally Posted by anonymous_third_party (Post 32653791)
Got a 2 night stay booked for next weekend at RC - hopefully, swimming pools are open by then!

Very frustrating Platinum elite doesn't get you access to Club Lounge - what other benefits will I get?

Starting to think maybe I should switch to the W?

You won't get free breakfast either.

anonymous_third_party Sep 5, 2020 7:32 am

Originally Posted by zack14 (Post 32653927)
You won't get free breakfast either.

Don't get me wrong, the views look great from the rooms, but lack of club lounge makes it look quite boring.

Considering paying for the suite, but $4300 a night, seems pricey at this time (admit that in non-COVID times that would be pretty good).

Kacee Sep 5, 2020 10:21 am

Originally Posted by anonymous_third_party (Post 32653998)
Don't get me wrong, the views look great from the rooms, but lack of club lounge makes it look quite boring.

The location is not so great either.

anonymous_third_party Sep 5, 2020 7:59 pm

not a lot of love for RC HK - and I can see why - pretty much zero recognition of status.

myperks Sep 5, 2020 8:38 pm

Originally Posted by anonymous_third_party (Post 32655401)
not a lot of love for RC HK - and I can see why - pretty much zero recognition of status.

pretty much a generic statement for all Ritz Carltons (and Editions) for Platinums. At least Titaniums and ambassadors are “eligible” for suite upgrades at RCs.