FlyerTalk Forums

FlyerTalk Forums (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/index.php)
-   Marriott | Marriott Bonvoy (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/marriott-marriott-bonvoy-766/)
-   -   The Ritz Carlton Hong Kong [Master Thread] (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/marriott-marriott-bonvoy/1777381-ritz-carlton-hong-kong-master-thread.html)

lsquare Dec 20, 2023 10:07 pm

Originally Posted by littlevoices (Post 35838919)
Fair enough reason to visit - though noting that Titanium may give you a minor room upgrade potential, probably wouldn't be a deciding factor for me, but heck - spending time at this hotel can help you on the way to Ambassador if you eat in the restaurants as well :P

Breakfast hours were standard - Monday- Friday: 6:30am - 10:30am // Weekends and public holidays: 6:30am - 11am, believe pricing used to be HKD328+10% service charge, don't think it has changed

I don't know about your points situation, but this hotel is one that tends to be, if you can afford the cash price, good to do either:
1. Book via a virtuoso travel agent, as that would normally give you free breakfast and a room credit (perhaps USD50-100) with the stay
2. Use one of their deals, that often comes with a good welcome gift, free spa times, meals in the restaurant etc. I tended to find them to be reasonable value
3. If you are going just to try the hotel, consider one of the club deals they can offer, or get a room with club access, as then you can have lots of food and drink (this only tends to be "good value" if you intend to spend most of your time in the hotel and eat/drink at each of the 5 presentation times)

Of course you can use those points, 76k seems at the cheap end of a deal for what is one of the world's best hotels, and seems to be #1 on tripadvisor in HK - a testament to their staff and service ethos, and take the USD500 saved and put it into a paid room upgrade or eat at one of the restaurants, I like them all to be honest so its down to personal choice of which one you prefer.

There are no award redemption with club access for my date. If I pay cash, I can see the rate.

platbrownguy Dec 31, 2023 6:27 pm

Can anyone comment on the club lounge breakfast offerings? I booked 4 nights in a deluxe sea view suite w/ club access (cash rate), will be w/ wife and 2-year-old. Will ask Ambassador to reach out closer in to see if we can get a harbour view but I'm not particularly fussed about that, I think the view will be great either way. We definitely tend to get value from a good lounge (and will pop in each evening for spirits, apps, and dessert). But we also tend to be late breakfast eaters, which can make buffets very disappointing when it seems like things have been left out for hours and are sort of congealed/gross.

Any thoughts on the breakfast in the lounge here? Made to order eggs? (Things I would love include poached eggs/benedict, French-style omelets (low heat/no brown), good well-trimmed smoked salmon or other fish, good pancakes/waffles, etc.)

If no good, and if breakfast were important to you, how does the breakfast here compare to St.R?

littlevoices Dec 31, 2023 7:07 pm

Originally Posted by platbrownguy (Post 35864846)
If no good, and if breakfast were important to you, how does the breakfast here compare to St.R?

I tended to find the lounge to be restocked and still presentable - to stereotype greatly, the average guest in the RC is probably rushing to breakfast between 9-10am, so there will be plenty of fresh food out to accommodate this desire. You can certainly expect an egg chef to make you eggs benedict's/poached eggs etc. Am sure they can accommodate some more funky omelette choices (what you describe sounds more like a Japanese style omelette, which would be standard in this region) as well should you wish, it won't have been the first time they'll have been asked for slightly different ways of cooking I imagine. Then you'll have salmon, dim-sum, bakery items (I forget what type of waffle, but am sure your taste buds can be met) and more.

Just a quick FYI, from my last welcome email "Note: The Club Lounge welcome guests below 10 years of age from 6:30am to 8:30pm daily.", so just be aware you can't be eating late into the night with the young kid - but can enjoy the main presentations.

A breakfast in the RC Club would be superior in my mind to the StR, as the StR does al-lka-carte** with a small buffet of meats/cheeses/bakery items. The Ritz Carlton club does a large buffet of higher quality foods. Hence, as long as you are ok with buffet food, with some cooked items, it will be a good experience. Noting the StR doesn't have a lounge, it is a very different proposition.
**This has switched between a choice of one menu (Western, Chinese) or ordering unlimited al-la-carte items at various times. I believe if you are hungry and want more, they will bring to you after cooking.

platbrownguy Dec 31, 2023 7:32 pm

Originally Posted by littlevoices (Post 35864921)
I tended to find the lounge to be restocked and still presentable - to stereotype greatly, the average guest in the RC is probably rushing to breakfast between 9-10am, so there will be plenty of fresh food out to accommodate this desire. You can certainly expect an egg chef to make you eggs benedict's/poached eggs etc. Am sure they can accommodate some more funky omelette choices (what you describe sounds more like a Japanese style omelette, which would be standard in this region) as well should you wish, it won't have been the first time they'll have been asked for slightly different ways of cooking I imagine. Then you'll have salmon, dim-sum, bakery items (I forget what type of waffle, but am sure your taste buds can be met) and more.

Just a quick FYI, from my last welcome email "Note: The Club Lounge welcome guests below 10 years of age from 6:30am to 8:30pm daily.", so just be aware you can't be eating late into the night with the young kid - but can enjoy the main presentations.

A breakfast in the RC Club would be superior in my mind to the StR, as the StR does al-lka-carte** with a small buffet of meats/cheeses/bakery items. The Ritz Carlton club does a large buffet of higher quality foods. Hence, as long as you are ok with buffet food, with some cooked items, it will be a good experience. Noting the StR doesn't have a lounge, it is a very different proposition.
**This has switched between a choice of one menu (Western, Chinese) or ordering unlimited al-la-carte items at various times. I believe if you are hungry and want more, they will bring to you after cooking.

Thanks, glad to hear there is an egg chef. I don't have much experience w/ RC lounges (I was here some years ago but don't recall breakfast, it was less important back then), so it is reassuring to hear that it sounds like quality will be there. 8:30pm cutoff is no problem, wife and I can always take turns popping in for a nightcap if need be.

Azreal1066 Jan 3, 2024 1:10 pm

You should definitely ask for a suite upgrade: They personally took us up to our original room -- which was a deluxe sea view. Very nice. Mentioning my Titanium status, I asked if an upgrade was possible since the app showed availability . After a few minutes, Moomi was able to secure a Deluxe Victoria Harbour Suite room. Amazing. You should be okay with your Ambassador status!

Originally Posted by platbrownguy (Post 35864846)
Can anyone comment on the club lounge breakfast offerings? I booked 4 nights in a deluxe sea view suite w/ club access (cash rate), will be w/ wife and 2-year-old. Will ask Ambassador to reach out closer in to see if we can get a harbour view but I'm not particularly fussed about that, I think the view will be great either way. We definitely tend to get value from a good lounge (and will pop in each evening for spirits, apps, and dessert). But we also tend to be late breakfast eaters, which can make buffets very disappointing when it seems like things have been left out for hours and are sort of congealed/gross.

Any thoughts on the breakfast in the lounge here? Made to order eggs? (Things I would love include poached eggs/benedict, French-style omelets (low heat/no brown), good well-trimmed smoked salmon or other fish, good pancakes/waffles, etc.)

platbrownguy Jan 3, 2024 3:20 pm

Originally Posted by Azreal1066 (Post 35872995)
You should definitely ask for a suite upgrade: They personally took us up to our original room -- which was a deluxe sea view. Very nice. Mentioning my Titanium status, I asked if an upgrade was possible since the app showed availability . After a few minutes, Moomi was able to secure a Deluxe Victoria Harbour Suite room. Amazing. You should be okay with your Ambassador status!

I already booked a suite actually, just a "sea view" rather than (for $200US/nt extra) the Harbour View. I am willing to pay the extra to guarantee the suite, but perhaps that will result in an even nicer further upgrade. This is a special trip (hence my willingness to pay $1000++/nt) so I didn't want to risk not having the suite.

So excited to be back here though! This hotel (including its previous location) has a special place in my heart.

holidayflyer83 Jan 18, 2024 7:19 am

Originally Posted by platbrownguy (Post 35873392)
I already booked a suite actually, just a "sea view" rather than (for $200US/nt extra) the Harbour View. I am willing to pay the extra to guarantee the suite, but perhaps that will result in an even nicer further upgrade. This is a special trip (hence my willingness to pay $1000++/nt) so I didn't want to risk not having the suite.

So excited to be back here though! This hotel (including its previous location) has a special place in my heart.

Don‘t know when you’re going but they have actually for rooms above Grand Seaview a 3for2 promotion for STARS bookings which I used for our stay in March.

platbrownguy Jan 18, 2024 3:06 pm

Originally Posted by holidayflyer83 (Post 35920085)
Don‘t know when you’re going but they have actually for rooms above Grand Seaview a 3for2 promotion for STARS bookings which I used for our stay in March.

DUDE. You just saved me 9000 HKD. THANK YOU!

vanheslig Apr 19, 2024 7:59 am

Guys, you know how much breakfast cost?

holidayflyer83 Apr 19, 2024 10:05 am

I think it was around 360 HKD incl. charges. I‘d recommend to book a STARS rate which includes it or upgrade to Club Level. Don‘t know when you’re going but they have for rooms above Grand Seaview a 3for2 promotion for STARS bookings til Apr 29th which I used for our stay in March.

Phillbsb1979 Apr 19, 2024 10:23 am

Originally Posted by vanheslig (Post 36172615)
Guys, you know how much breakfast cost?

As mentioned, Marriott STARS rate includes complimentary breakfast daily for two guests per room and all STARS hotels offer a hotel credit valued at $100 USD (once per stay), besides other benefits...

CPH-Flyer Apr 19, 2024 5:20 pm

Originally Posted by Phillbsb1979 (Post 36172964)
As mentioned, Marriott STARS rate includes complimentary breakfast daily for two guests per room and all STARS hotels offer a hotel credit valued at $100 USD (once per stay), besides other benefits...

But the STARS booking as based on the standard best available rate, sometimes it is a better deal buying discounted rates without breakfast and paying separately for breakfast. While STAR rates are often great, don't forget to check what other rates are offered during the period. Though mainly if you can commit to fixed or prepaid rates.

vanheslig Apr 20, 2024 3:17 am

Originally Posted by holidayflyer83 (Post 36172937)
I think it was around 360 HKD incl. charges. I‘d recommend to book a STARS rate which includes it or upgrade to Club Level. Don‘t know when you’re going but they have for rooms above Grand Seaview a 3for2 promotion for STARS bookings til Apr 29th which I used for our stay in March.

thank you. But is the breakfast in the club lounge as well as the regular breakfast? From other Marriott Lounges I know, the club lounge breakfast is limited. So the club lounge breakfast is good?
with the stars rate, will I get points?
how to book it?

CPH-Flyer Apr 20, 2024 3:41 am

Originally Posted by vanheslig (Post 36174543)
thank you. But is the breakfast in the club lounge as well as the regular breakfast? From other Marriott Lounges I know, the club lounge breakfast is limited. So the club lounge breakfast is good?
with the stars rate, will I get points?
how to book it?

Yes you get points on star rates. You need to find a travel agent that can book it for you. Most credit card concierges can do it as well, at least the good ones.

A Ritz-Carlton Club in Asia should not be compared to other Marriott lounges, particularly not American lounges. That is like comparing your Mercedes S Class to Toyota Prius.

The club breakfast is quite nice. A few examples.
https://cimg6.ibsrv.net/gimg/www.fly...710549c44a.jpg
Lounge breakfast cappuccino
https://cimg7.ibsrv.net/gimg/www.fly...d4be77e746.jpg
Breakfast dim sum in the lounge
https://cimg8.ibsrv.net/gimg/www.fly...a777dac29c.jpg
Lounge made order omelette

vanheslig Apr 20, 2024 5:56 am

Originally Posted by CPH-Flyer (Post 36174575)
Yes you get points on star rates. You need to find a travel agent that can book it for you. Most credit card concierges can do it as well, at least the good ones.

A Ritz-Carlton Club in Asia should lot be compared to other Marriott lounges, particularly not American lounges. That is like comparing your Mercedes S Class to Toyota Prius.

The club breakfast is quite nice. A few examples.
https://cimg6.ibsrv.net/gimg/www.fly...710549c44a.jpg
Lounge breakfast cappuccino
https://cimg7.ibsrv.net/gimg/www.fly...d4be77e746.jpg
Breakfast dim sum in the lounge
https://cimg8.ibsrv.net/gimg/www.fly...a777dac29c.jpg
Lounge made order omelette

looks great. So breakfast in club lounge is good enough? They also have different variety on bread and cheese? Is it ala carte like in st. Regis or buffet?