FlyerTalk Forums

FlyerTalk Forums (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/index.php)
-   Marriott | Marriott Bonvoy (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/marriott-marriott-bonvoy-766/)
-   -   The Ritz Carlton Hong Kong [Master Thread] (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/marriott-marriott-bonvoy/1777381-ritz-carlton-hong-kong-master-thread.html)

littlevoices Sep 6, 2020 1:29 am

Originally Posted by anonymous_third_party (Post 32653791)
Got a 2 night stay booked for next weekend at RC - hopefully, swimming pools are open by then!

Very frustrating Platinum elite doesn't get you access to Club Lounge - what other benefits will I get?

Starting to think maybe I should switch to the W?

Having just returned from the W for a Saturday night stay a few minutes ago, I would observe the following:
No real upgrade (got a nice harbour view, but one level upgrade from the lower room), pool was closed (I was aware, government restrictions) and I had to use my welcome benefit to get breakfast. However, the hotel is back to normal occupancy at weekends, breakfast was a good spread and the Sunday buffet was superb and if you stay is buy-one, get-one free, which is a real bargain (~HKD 500 rather than 900+10%). If staying at the Ritz I would ensure your rate includes breakfast. At the Ritz the choice of food establishments is good and the quality / value is also excellent with 20-30% off for higher tier levels.

Personally I would choose the best rate with benefits/perks ignoring status and then decide, taking an upgrade as an unexpected benefit. It is difficult to compare the Ritz on the 100+ floors and a superb harbour view and world's biggest highest bar, with the W on the lower part of the building (except for the pool at the top) though with friendly staff. It seems the "guaranteed" suite upgrades are vanishing at both as the hotels get busier (on my prior stays at both I had suite upgrades).

Dave510 Sep 6, 2020 12:33 pm

Benefits are nice, but I wouldn't choose a hotel only based on program benefits.

The Ritz has always had good service, and a unique viewpoint of Vic Harbour. They've always given at least a Grand Vic Harbour room for Titanium.

The negatives are the location (which I don't think is a big deal if you're a local and doing a staycation) and the lack of breakfast. If you have a great rate, I would just consider paying for the breakfast.

anonymous_third_party Sep 7, 2020 12:00 am

Originally Posted by Dave510 (Post 32656564)
Benefits are nice, but I wouldn't choose a hotel only based on program benefits.

The Ritz has always had good service, and a unique viewpoint of Vic Harbour. They've always given at least a Grand Vic Harbour room for Titanium.

The negatives are the location (which I don't think is a big deal if you're a local and doing a staycation) and the lack of breakfast. If you have a great rate, I would just consider paying for the breakfast.

the rates are $2600-$3000 for 2 nights including breakfast. Def. cheap by RC standards.

Dave510 Sep 7, 2020 1:11 pm

Originally Posted by anonymous_third_party (Post 32657490)
the rates are $2600-$3000 for 2 nights including breakfast. Def. cheap by RC standards.

That price seems like a no brainer, breakfast or not.

Kacee Sep 7, 2020 4:11 pm

Yes, although it sometimes priced sub-$4000 before COVID. Whether it's a good deal depends on what you're looking for. I hated the location and wasn't overly impressed with the product. Views obviously depend on the weather. What you can for sure count on are long elevator rides.

zack14 Sep 8, 2020 5:24 am

where did you get this rate? :confused:

Flapster Sep 11, 2020 2:24 am

I just booked a staycation here as a lifetime platinum. I have only stayed in one RC before, and that didn't have a lounge. I booked a rate with breakfast included.

If offered club lounge access, is it worth it especially during corona virus - any recent experiences on what is on offer in the club lounge?

anonymous_third_party Sep 11, 2020 3:07 am

Originally Posted by zack14 (Post 32659967)
where did you get this rate? :confused:

If you spend $500 om dining in RC or W, you get a voucher for 50% off breakfast rate for up to 3 nights.

You can also buy vouchers on Carosell too for around $50.

anonymous_third_party Sep 11, 2020 3:10 am

Duplicate

Kacee Sep 11, 2020 10:52 am

Originally Posted by Flapster (Post 32667474)
I just booked a staycation here as a lifetime platinum. I have only stayed in one RC before, and that didn't have a lounge. I booked a rate with breakfast included.

If offered club lounge access, is it worth it especially during corona virus - any recent experiences on what is on offer in the club lounge?

AFAIK, you can always pay an upcharge for club access, but it's substantial. IMO it's only worth it if you're planning to drink a lot.

Flapster Sep 13, 2020 4:27 am

Not planning to drink loads, but I got upsold - when I was enquiring about things with the hotel, they offered a Deluxe Victoria Harbour Suite with club access for $3,830 / night, so I decided to take it.

I'm not going to be staying at the Ritz a lot, so thought I may as well take advantage!

xexs Sep 13, 2020 10:11 pm

well, most comments seem expressing about the lacking of lounge access for plats, but to be fair, it's not RCHK problem, more of the brand-wide standard issue.
In most cases, paying for RC lounges is a good deal. Yet, my experience with RCHK varies due to the constant changing of govt policy

A side note is, their room/suite layout is actually quite disappointing. Too small as a suite, and the lack of living area in front of the telly where people can sit down with a few friends having a chat.

Fly Me To The Moon Sep 14, 2020 6:28 pm

Originally Posted by xexs (Post 32673683)
A side note is, their room/suite layout is actually quite disappointing. Too small as a suite, and the lack of living area in front of the telly where people can sit down with a few friends having a chat.

I fully agree with you. Completely useless Deluxe Suite layout for my needs.

anonymous_third_party Sep 20, 2020 3:39 am

Just checked out of RC

Front desk spent a long time explaining why no upgrades were available for Platinums, they offered some cash off the room rate as a GOGW and $500 credit So, glad I booked the room i wanted (Harbour view room).

Club lounges was then offered for a tiny amount for two. Was not expecting this at all. So really happy.

Service was good, but so busy with families. Clearly need more staff to adjust to non business travellers. All restaurants were fully booked, pool had a 3 hour wait list.

Club lounge was ok, food was hit and miss, for dinner, slices of warm spam were served. Drinks were very good though.

Overall, pretty happy with stay, room was fantastic, pool is really amazing, but staycationers are not the usual high paying business travellers who have low consumption levels.

Kacee Sep 20, 2020 8:53 am

Originally Posted by anonymous_third_party (Post 32688209)
Overall, pretty happy with stay, room was fantastic, pool is really amazing, but staycationers are not the usual high paying business travellers who have low consumption levels.

When I stayed pre-covid, it was mostly families. Club lounge was basically a playground. I think most business travelers stay Central, with a few choosing RC if they have meetings in ICC.