Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Hotels and Places to Stay > Marriott | Marriott Bonvoy
Reload this Page >

The St. Regis Kuala Lumpur, Malaysia [Master Thread]

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Jan 14, 2019, 1:21 am
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: margarita girl
Hotel email address: [email protected]
OR [email protected]

(Send any correspondance to both addresses.)
Print Wikipost

The St. Regis Kuala Lumpur, Malaysia [Master Thread]

Search this Thread

Old Feb 1, 2020, 7:17 am
Suspended

Programs: HHonors Diamond, AA EXP
No Lounge at St Regis kills it. Nice room for a weekend - would price you same as a month in an upscale apartment in KL. No thank you.
Handcake likes this.
Old Feb 1, 2020, 2:15 pm

St. Regis Kuala Lumpur - very bad experience. Exactly like gpeso8
zzap likes this.
Old Feb 1, 2020, 4:31 pm

My first stay there a few years ago wasn't that great. I returned to KL a few times and decided to stay at Four Seasons (better), W (no longer a brand for me), Mandarin Oriental (meh) and JW Marriott. I think level of service is what made STR KL so underwhelming. Also too bad the tempura restaurant closed - I had 2 lovely (albeit strange) meals there and at their sushi restaurant.
Old Feb 2, 2020, 8:34 pm

Programs: Marriott Plat Amb, oneworld Ruby
Originally Posted by xavzz
Hey everyone,

Comparing to LM(and Hilton as they are connected and share amenities and now owned by the same company). Ive stayed at the LM twice now, once before the renovation and once after and its a great transformation for LM. However its still shows its age from 2004 when it opened and the amenities can be super busy as well as the hotel as it has nearly combined of nearly 950 rooms. If there is a function the parking is crazy or getting in as its directly opposite KL Sentral. Obviously the price is around £40-55 a night cheaper but they are 3 categories apart and different on many levels. So if you like to save money and not bothered about service so much or luxury, then of course grab yourself a better price and stay at LM. For me, I prefer a quiet hotel, more luxury and newer and happy to spend the money but not everyone is the same.
Thanks for your detailed review of the St Regis, @xavzz

I have stayed at the Meridien a lot over the last 5 years, and was intrigued by your comment about the super busy amenities. Apart from the (very) occasional evening when the Lounge is packed at 7 pm, I haven't had this issue with the other amenities (pool, gym, restaurants), and I have always found the service splendid. Yes, they may not go out of their way to butter you up in the typical St Regis fashion, but there is always a smile, a warm greeting and personal recognition, and many of the staff who first waited on me in 2015 are still there, especially at the front desk and the Lounge.
Old Feb 3, 2020, 5:57 am

@HollyGlen Exactly if we see smile and warm geetings from all staffs at LM, I will choose Le Meridien at Central no more St.R with their rude employers.
Old Feb 6, 2020, 10:03 am

Programs: Qatar Silver, Emirates Skyward Silver, SPG Gold , IHG Spire Elite
Originally Posted by HollyGlen
Thanks for your detailed review of the St Regis, @xavzz

I have stayed at the Meridien a lot over the last 5 years, and was intrigued by your comment about the super busy amenities. Apart from the (very) occasional evening when the Lounge is packed at 7 pm, I haven't had this issue with the other amenities (pool, gym, restaurants), and I have always found the service splendid. Yes, they may not go out of their way to butter you up in the typical St Regis fashion, but there is always a smile, a warm greeting and personal recognition, and many of the staff who first waited on me in 2015 are still there, especially at the front desk and the Lounge.
Just crowding was my issue at the times spent there. However was only twice and sometimes popped for a drink there with some friends but no other problems. I did have a sneak look the other day and as it was CNY the amenities were completely empty. I have really been thinking about moving business to here for long stays but im not sure as STR is only £20 a night more for my rate.
Old Feb 6, 2020, 10:32 am

So I thought I would wrap up a small bit of info for my last few days at the hotel. What I have come to realise is that this hotel now only relies on corporate stays rather than people coming to visit on a personal stay such as myself. The service is very lacking throughout the hotel minus the odd person here and there. I felt the best service was when I was checking out lol! Had a nice convo, 3 people walked me to my car etc etc, but why bother with me so much now when im leaving than when im actually in the hotel. I had to sign my corporate rate whilst I was staying but on my last day and spoke to the usual lady who deals with me, we always end up talking for a good hour about the hotel and other new things going on etc to get a gague if should return. I did mention a few things and funny enough they were attended to such as having someone visible at the poolside when people are there so they dont have to get up and go inside to find someone to order food or drinks and get the bill. This was spoken about in the morning and when I was at the pool for lunch suddenly all of sudden the pool side staff were visible the whole time compared to the previous 6 days lol, which made a difference! Im not sure how long this will last but I hope this does. I had a problem with the water pressure in room for a half day, luckily I wasn't really in the room, however when I went down to get my parking ticket validated to go out, I simply asked if they were having any water pressure problems, I was told "yes but only floors 17&19" I mentioned I was on floor 21 and have neither hot water or pressure, and was told "im very sorry about that" and that was it... I was going out so no problem to me but what if i was staying in my room? that was such a poor answer and lack of care. I was emailed and sent some cakes the next day but thats too late if I was staying in the hotel. Breakfast quality is good but the turnover of food is slow/zero so you are likely to have food at what time you come down thats been sitting there and cooked from 6.30am. Sometimes bathrobes were not in the room, towels had obvious stains and marks on etc. These things in this type of hotel really should not exist. Its like small problem after small problem. I guess this is why the hotel is now ranked 17th on Tripadvisor (not the most truthful for reviews but still relative) compared to it being in the top 5 only 2/3 years ago. As I said this hotel is now for corporate people, thats where they make their money and get their bookings. The owner wants a minimum certain price points and Marriott wants revenue so I can see issues in the future for this hotel. Now with the outbreak across SE Asia there are a lot of cancelled bookings for groups and corporate companies do not want their staff to travel much now so this hotel is going for cheap if u chose to stay here soon.

I feel like thats everything I can add for now until I stay again in December.

As mentioned before, this hotel is far from terrible but its also far from being up the standards it was or needs to be.

Feel free to ask any questions

I hope this helps.
kodansha999 likes this.
Old Feb 6, 2020, 3:49 pm
Marriott 5+ Badge

Programs: Bonvoy LT Plat. WOH Glob. SQ Gold
My "fun" pool story is one of the days of my stay when I asked for bottled water I was told that they had run out even though there was no-one else at the pool. They did helpfully suggest that there would be some bottled water in my suite!
Old Feb 7, 2020, 3:46 am

Programs: World of Hyatt Globalist; Marriott Bonvoy LTP; IHG Plat
According to many reviews upthread, this hotel should be kicked out of St. Regis.

An Autograph Collection may be fitted properly.
Old Feb 7, 2020, 8:54 am

Originally Posted by 3rdworldresident
According to many reviews upthread, this hotel should be kicked out of St. Regis.

An Autograph Collection may be fitted properly.
WELLLLLL....

as I mentioned there seems to be issues between the owner and Marriott. He wants a minimum room rate per night and Marriott want revenue. They are not so happy that the price is still so high per night.

Last thing to mention which i forgot to put in my previous post which makes me laugh every time i think about it. I went to have a look at the spa, and the Jacuzzi and sauna which is inside the spa and cant be used unless you take a treatment. On the way out the lady said "if you would really like to use it then we can sort something out for you, 100RM for 30 minutes" ... I literally laughed out loud in shock because i thought she was going to be somewhat professional and say hey listen if you would like to use it I can do it once etc...

Last edited by xavzz; Feb 8, 2020 at 1:41 am Reason: incorrect information
Old Feb 7, 2020, 6:49 pm

Programs: World of Hyatt Globalist; Marriott Bonvoy LTP; IHG Plat
Current category is 6 and it will be moved down to cat 5 after 4th March.
Old Mar 9, 2021, 7:09 pm

Just completed a 1 night staycation at the St. Regis Kuala Lumpur and it was very underwhelming and this hotel has a lot of issues. Firstly, I live in KL, but if I was visiting, I have no idea why someone would choose this location. Other than it's proximity to the train station, this location has zero redeeming qualities.

Check in
- Room not ready at 15:00 and poor communication from staff on when room would be ready. Apparently the previous user made a big mess in the room the night before, which sounded ominous.
- Nowhere available to wait or have a coffee when waiting room to be ready - Drawing Room are fully booked with people having afternoon tea.
- Bought a package that included dinner, but was told on check in that restaurant was fully booked - why offer a package that they can't fulfill? At this point it was already 17:00 and it was almost impossible to find a restaurant that still had availability.

Room

- Only 1 bathrobe in room despite there being two guests
- Bathtub but no bubble bath
- Poor quality TV - not a smart TV and no apps - this should be expected in 2021
- Glasses and cutlery in mini bar were dirty - finger prints on glass and caked on dried food on fork - disgusting, especially during COVID
- No coffee creamer / milk provided in mini bar

Breakfast

- very slow service - waiting a long time for coffee, impossible to get the attention of a waiter
- food on the floor - several staff walked over the food during breakfast but never cleaned it up
- VERY poor selection of breads and pastries for a 5 star hotel
- ordered waffles, but staff forgot order and had to go order again
- very limited selection of food in general - I believe there used to be an A la carte menu as well, but this appears to have been cut

Astor Bar

- Astor Bar is unbearable for non - smokers as it seemed like everyone in the bar was smoking
- Ordered dessert in the bar - order was forgotten
- We were seated next to a private room and there was a private event on in the room. Loud disco music was being played and shouting which completely ruined the ambience of the bar - staff seemed pre - occupied serving that group and ignored us
- Private party seemed to be in breach of COVID-19 SOP in Malaysia.

Pool

- The pool area just looked depressing
- no towels or cushions laid out on the sun loungers
- bar is closed
- no availability of drinks at the pool area
- pool water was freezing

Conclusion

Very disappointing stay which did not live up to the St Regis standards at all. There are plenty of better hotels in KL that offer a lot more.
Old Mar 9, 2021, 7:56 pm

Sad to hear you had a poor experience, jah718. I felt the same way when visiting this property. I actually think it's the most disappointing St Regis I have every stayed in (with the exception perhaps of the St Regis Chengdu).

Never had any major issues with the LM around the corner, though, and their club lounge is excellent.
HHQX888, anteater and kauppias like this.
Old Mar 11, 2021, 5:14 am

Originally Posted by jah718
Conclusion

Very disappointing stay which did not live up to the St Regis standards at all. There are plenty of better hotels in KL that offer a lot more.
Sounds like a stupidly-run hotel. One to avoid. Thanks for the review though.
Old Mar 11, 2021, 2:47 pm
Company Representative, Marriott Bonvoy

Programs: Marriott Bonvoy
Originally Posted by jah718
Just completed a 1 night staycation at the St. Regis Kuala Lumpur and it was very underwhelming and this hotel has a lot of issues. Firstly, I live in KL, but if I was visiting, I have no idea why someone would choose this location. Other than it's proximity to the train station, this location has zero redeeming qualities.

Check in
- Room not ready at 15:00 and poor communication from staff on when room would be ready. Apparently the previous user made a big mess in the room the night before, which sounded ominous.
- Nowhere available to wait or have a coffee when waiting room to be ready - Drawing Room are fully booked with people having afternoon tea.
- Bought a package that included dinner, but was told on check in that restaurant was fully booked - why offer a package that they can't fulfill? At this point it was already 17:00 and it was almost impossible to find a restaurant that still had availability.

Room

- Only 1 bathrobe in room despite there being two guests
- Bathtub but no bubble bath
- Poor quality TV - not a smart TV and no apps - this should be expected in 2021
- Glasses and cutlery in mini bar were dirty - finger prints on glass and caked on dried food on fork - disgusting, especially during COVID
- No coffee creamer / milk provided in mini bar

Breakfast

- very slow service - waiting a long time for coffee, impossible to get the attention of a waiter
- food on the floor - several staff walked over the food during breakfast but never cleaned it up
- VERY poor selection of breads and pastries for a 5 star hotel
- ordered waffles, but staff forgot order and had to go order again
- very limited selection of food in general - I believe there used to be an A la carte menu as well, but this appears to have been cut

Astor Bar

- Astor Bar is unbearable for non - smokers as it seemed like everyone in the bar was smoking
- Ordered dessert in the bar - order was forgotten
- We were seated next to a private room and there was a private event on in the room. Loud disco music was being played and shouting which completely ruined the ambience of the bar - staff seemed pre - occupied serving that group and ignored us
- Private party seemed to be in breach of COVID-19 SOP in Malaysia.

Pool

- The pool area just looked depressing
- no towels or cushions laid out on the sun loungers
- bar is closed
- no availability of drinks at the pool area
- pool water was freezing

Conclusion

Hi jah718,

I'm sorry to hear you were dissatisfied with your experience at The St. Regis Kuala Lumpur. If you'd like to send a Private Message with your full name, contact information, and reservation confirmation number, we'll present your concerns to the hotel's executive management.

Thanks,

Robert V.
Social Media Liaison

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.