Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Hotels and Places to Stay > Marriott | Marriott Bonvoy
Reload this Page >

The St. Regis Kuala Lumpur, Malaysia [Master Thread]

The St. Regis Kuala Lumpur, Malaysia [Master Thread]

Hide Wikipost
Old Jan 13, 19, 5:23 pm   -   Wikipost
Please read: This is a community-maintained wiki post containing the most important information from this thread. You may edit the Wiki once you have been on FT for 90 days and have made 90 posts.

Last edit by: margarita girl
Wiki Link
Hotel email address: [email protected]
OR [email protected]

(Send any correspondance to both addresses.)
Print Wikipost

Old May 15, 16, 8:48 am
Original Poster

Programs: AA Exec Plat; SPG Gold; Hyatt Diamond; Hilton Diamond; IHG Plat Ambassador
Post The St. Regis Kuala Lumpur, Malaysia [Master Thread]

Just stayed here last night.

I booked a Luxury Privilege rate for the Caroline Astor suite at RM 1600. Upon checking in, I was told that the suite is not available as it is not ready... and I was downgraded to the entry level suite - the St Regis suite. First time that I was ever downgraded on this rate, instead of the normal double upgrade I get for this rate + elite status.

Met the GM, Anne, who is a lovely person. She apologized and tried to make it up to me. She also gave me a personal tour of the hotel later.

Check in space:
Name:  lAFT4YS.jpg
Views: 6345
Size:  413.2 KB
Name:  OBQxN3x.jpg
Views: 3431
Size:  335.9 KB
Name:  rTDHdiR.jpg
Views: 3075
Size:  409.1 KB

I was given suite 701, which was at the lowest level. The hotel rooms start from floor 7 to 21... BUT - only level 7 to 11 is ready now. The rest is still not ready.

Room:
Name:  K0tOv91.jpg
Views: 2918
Size:  413.1 KB
Name:  4Jf8mY3.jpg
Views: 2900
Size:  372.8 KB
Name:  3zb4Fvy.jpg
Views: 2929
Size:  381.7 KB
Name:  qmVxzw8.jpg
Views: 2948
Size:  492.8 KB

This is a recurring theme throughout the hotel - many things are not ready. The pool + bar at the pool isnt completed.
Name:  mdbxC9U.jpg
Views: 2962
Size:  395.3 KB

The changing room at the gym isnt ready. The Iridium spa isnt ready. All the walkways also reeked of strong paint fumes... hardly the signature St Regis scent.

Gym:
Name:  mbDYxwf.jpg
Views: 2989
Size:  350.8 KB

Rooms are just like what @travelswithmyself posted. They are nice.. however, room 701 is the at the lowest level, and the pool is still being constructed. This meant that there was drilling noise the whole day until the evening... and also foreign laborers outside your window peeping in from time to time:
Name:  u5CzTwQ.jpg
Views: 2913
Size:  511.9 KB
Name:  998ewKA.jpg
Views: 2867
Size:  463.0 KB

Classy.

Toiletries are Remede, as usual.The hotel also provides a shuttle to nearby places - KL Sentral and a park nearby. The first car was a E200 Mercedes, while the second one was some random Toyota Innova... Im not sure that the hotel has a dedicated fleet yet - seems that they call a service provider.

Other parts of the hotel:
Name:  iMWtscf.jpg
Views: 2851
Size:  1,010.8 KB
Name:  DkEO3ao.jpg
Views: 2802
Size:  678.0 KB

Gold / Platinum members get a welcome drink at the Astor bar, which was impressive:
Name:  2to91aB.jpg
Views: 2838
Size:  767.9 KB
Name:  eXJ30p4.jpg
Views: 3022
Size:  407.2 KB

Their localized bloody mary involved some sourish fruits and local pepper:
Name:  CIcbouc.jpg
Views: 2825
Size:  742.6 KB

The butler service was generally good when it came to coffee and tea.

Breakfast was at the Brassiere, and was a la carte. No buffet yet - probably because there isnt enough people:
Name:  Ho6szbb.jpg
Views: 2863
Size:  464.0 KB
Name:  Bbx7GfY.jpg
Views: 2858
Size:  542.1 KB

I also tried some of their in room dining - the lamb (mispelled as Lanb on the menu); the lobster bisque; panini; gnocchi. Food is generally ok.

There were many other small things that the hotel still hasnt done right. The whole hotel doesnt have any cloth or plastic laundry bags for example - they just give you paper bags. The tv in the bathroom also doesnt work. The TVs in the living / bed room also gets no signal when there is a heavy rain.

I also had a small incident in the hotel due to poor workmanship. The doors between the living room and bed room, once closed, could not be opened because the upper rollers were not properly done. hey were protruding out, and the doors could not get past them.

As a result, I locked myself in the bedroom while showering. Concierge and the technical team took about 20 minutes before they could open the doors, all while I was stuck in the bedroom, and was late for a dinner. This issue was never fixed too.

At check out, there were issues with my final bill too. Despite my downgrade, I was somehow charged more than what my confirmation email said. I showed them this, and it took about 20 minutes of back and forth before my final bill was fixed.

Overall, dont bother coming here for the next 6 to 12 months. The hotel was completely rushed, and the service level and attention to detail is still not up to par, despite the good intentions of the GM. There really is no point paying RM 1000 for the entry level rooms (they raised the price again!) when you can get better service and facilities at other hotels for less than half the price.. literally up the street.

I myself will continue sticking with the GH.

Last edited by lenardl; May 15, 16 at 8:08 pm Reason: added new pictures now that this is a new thread
Old May 15, 16, 9:38 am

Originally Posted by lenardl View Post
Just stayed here last night.
Dear lenardl

Oh dear. I can only say this, thank you for being the guinea pig

I'm rather glad that I just cancelled my early June trip and am postponing it to "dates unknown". Just need to remember that my Design Hotels certs expire end-Sep.
Old May 15, 16, 9:45 am

Programs: MH Enrich Silver (OWR), Marriott Platinum / Lifetime Gold
Unhappy Review

Thanks lenardl for the candid review. I also had issues with Four Points Puchong 1st day opening, number of defects but still they decided to move forward to open for guests to stay. Worse, I can't imagine you paying RM1,XXX for substandard and worse St. Regis standard, at least my stay was with Four Points so my expectations were not that much higher.
Old May 15, 16, 11:41 am

Programs: SPG Plat; Marriott Plat; Hyatt Explorist; QR Gold
thank you for the very first review, lenardl.

how dare they open the hotel without many facitlities being ready!!!
Old May 15, 16, 4:29 pm

@lenardl: thx. for your report I was tinking about this same suite on beginning of september but now I will go to GH.
Old May 15, 16, 6:04 pm
Marriott Contributor Badge

Programs: HHD, SPG LTG
Originally Posted by 3rdworldresident View Post
how dare they open the hotel without many facitlities being ready!!!
And the bulk of the room floors not even ready, whilst charging fanciful high rates.
Old May 15, 16, 9:27 pm

Programs: JL Premier | Marriott Platinum Elite | GE, TSA-Pre
Guess it's 2017 then...
Old May 16, 16, 10:14 am

Programs: SPG Platinum,Hilton Diamond
Just spoke to spg rep to book a free night award at ST Regis Kuala Lumpur to checkin on June but being told that there are NO free rooms available for Free night award at any date between now till end of June. This seems like a pretty sneaky way to avoid free room awards. Quite disappointing
Old May 16, 16, 10:32 am

ST Regis Kuala Lumpur already move from category 5 to category 6
Old May 16, 16, 10:59 am

Programs: SPG Plat; Marriott Plat; Hyatt Explorist; QR Gold
Originally Posted by theaccesscard View Post
ST Regis Kuala Lumpur already move from category 5 to category 6
okay, no desire of staying at this hotel anymore.

GH still the clear winner.
Old May 16, 16, 12:01 pm

Yes,i lost my interest to st regis kl too..too expensive for a hotel that located quite far from city center,no good view to offer (hotel occupied lower floor only)..no proper pedestrian walkway to kl sentral,lot of construction going on nearby.price is killing me,i rather pay myr600 to stay at GH Kuala Lumpur which offer better view,better location,easy access with aircondition walkway to klcc and pavilion mall.Cant wait to see new look of mokl once they reveal it soon(early june)..look beautiful from the sneak peek on their wedding shot and yes price is much more cheaper than the overated st regis kl
Old May 16, 16, 12:21 pm

Programs: LH FTL, BA Silver, HH SILVER, SPG LT PLAT, A/club PLAT, Hyatt Diamond
Originally Posted by 3rdworldresident View Post
okay, no desire of staying at this hotel anymore.
+ 1

But here is my question:
Any responsible person at SPG to supervise the opening dates of a new property, particularly a St Regis ???

This is clearly unacceptable for the flagship brand of SPG
Old May 17, 16, 4:34 am

Programs: SPG Platinum, Marriott Platinum, Hilton Diamond, Hyatt Platinum
Surprisingly this StR properties just switched from SPG Cat 5 to SPG Cat 6 out of sudden when the points redemption is working now?

Can lurkers help to find out the reason of such change without a notification?
Old May 17, 16, 4:54 am

Programs: SPG Plat
What the. I wanted to book it at the Cat 5 rate and was waiting for the technical problem to be solved. Looks like a sneaky way to do this...
Old May 17, 16, 7:32 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: A3*Gold, SPG Plat, HyattDiamond, MarriottPP, LHW exAccess, ICI, Raffles Amb, NW PE MM, TWA Gold MM
Originally Posted by geilux View Post
+ 1

But here is my question:
Any responsible person at SPG to supervise the opening dates of a new property, particularly a St Regis ???

This is clearly unacceptable for the flagship brand of SPG
I know Hyatt sends a lot of people to supervise the first few nights a new property is open and help to train staff. I've personally witnesses this twice and talked to some of the people who were sent to help. They generally also test the new rooms by staying in them, often in a block together on the lowest floor.

With Starwood, the only similar situation of which I'm personally aware involved the company that owned a bunch of Starwoods sending some outstanding staff from their other properties (about a thousand miles away, but still in the USA) to help with the opening, plus a few high level folks to be present for the official opening ceremony.

Search this Thread