Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Hotels and Places to Stay > Marriott | Marriott Bonvoy
Reload this Page >

Westin Bayshore Vancouver [Master Thread]

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Feb 16, 2019, 2:01 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: margarita girl
Hotel email address: [email protected]
Print Wikipost

Westin Bayshore Vancouver [Master Thread]

Search this Thread

Old Dec 27, 2011, 10:27 am

just came back from Vancouver i stayed at both the Westin Bayshore and the Sheraton Wall center.

no lounge at the Westin and no breakfast for plats. nice lounge at the Sheraton which serves breakfast (fruits, toast, yogurt, boiled eggs etc.. ) and snacks in the evening ( 2 hot items, fruits, veggies etc..).

for upgrade: my suite upgrade success is 100% at the sheraton and 93% at the Westin ( only one stay out of probably 15 was not upgraded to suite)

for location: I like both. if you want to be close to Coal harbor, English bay, stanley park then stay at the Westin. if you want to be close to Pacific mall and Downtown area stay at the Sheraton. its only 20 min walk from the Westin to the Sheraton and vice versa
Old Mar 8, 2012, 1:02 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Marriott Titanium Marriott Platinum for life.
I will be going on vacation here in June with a family of four, does anyone have suggestions or advice about this property over the Westin Grand or the Sheraton Wall Center?
Old Mar 8, 2012, 9:02 am

Programs: AC-E, SPG-Plat, GP-P, HH-G
Originally Posted by CNWO4LIFE
I will be going on vacation here in June with a family of four, does anyone have suggestions or advice about this property over the Westin Grand or the Sheraton Wall Center?
Location wise, theBayshore is right next to Stanley Park and you should have incredible views. It is close enough to downtown to walk pretty much everywhere. They have an indoor pool as well as a seasonal outdoor pool. I have only stayed twice and was never upgraded beyond a view with balcony room.

With the Grand, you usually get an upgrade if PLAT to a one bedroom suite - which has a microwave, small table for breakfast, location is still great on Robson suite. But probably 20 minutes or so walk to Stanley Park. More in the shopping and commercial district.

With the Sheraton, aside from one stay, you will usually get an odd shaped suite (but a real suite). access to the club lounge. Again, the location is in a different part of the CBD, but still in a great location. Closer to the west end, which has a slightly different vibe.

Other people may have different opinions, but I think all are pretty decent places to stay.
Old Mar 8, 2012, 11:49 am

If it's possible, go for a Tower room. The rooms in the Tower building is very spacious with balconies. It has breathtaking views of Stanley Park and the waterfront. The main building's views leaves little to be desired (from my experiences anyways)
Old Mar 8, 2012, 1:26 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by jjbc
Location wise, theBayshore is right next to Stanley Park and you should have incredible views. It is close enough to downtown to walk pretty much everywhere. They have an indoor pool as well as a seasonal outdoor pool. I have only stayed twice and was never upgraded beyond a view with balcony room.

With the Grand, you usually get an upgrade if PLAT to a one bedroom suite - which has a microwave, small table for breakfast, location is still great on Robson suite. But probably 20 minutes or so walk to Stanley Park. More in the shopping and commercial district.

With the Sheraton, aside from one stay, you will usually get an odd shaped suite (but a real suite). access to the club lounge. Again, the location is in a different part of the CBD, but still in a great location. Closer to the west end, which has a slightly different vibe.

Other people may have different opinions, but I think all are pretty decent places to stay.
Thanks for your time in giving me this info. I am really having a hard time in which property to stay. Your post is making that decision a little easier.
Old Mar 8, 2012, 3:29 pm

Programs: All Accor Plat, 1865 Voyager, AE E35K, HH Gold,Hyatt, Hrtz Gold, Marriott Gold, NEXUS
Thanks for your time in giving me this info. I am really having a hard time in which property to stay. Your post is making that decision a little easier.
Last time I stayed at the Sheraton they upgraded me to a 2 BR family suite (and I'm only Gold). Of course I was all on my own. That being said, you will probably get more space there and a central location and a good view. Club lounge is also pretty good. Bayshore is tops for location - next to Marina's, Stanley Park, walks along the sea wall. Pretty good selection of restaurants nearby. I think it would win due to location, depending on what you are looking for.
Old Mar 8, 2012, 7:10 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by allbrosca
Last time I stayed at the Sheraton they upgraded me to a 2 BR family suite (and I'm only Gold). Of course I was all on my own. That being said, you will probably get more space there and a central location and a good view. Club lounge is also pretty good. Bayshore is tops for location - next to Marina's, Stanley Park, walks along the sea wall. Pretty good selection of restaurants nearby. I think it would win due to location, depending on what you are looking for.
Thanks. The Bayshore is sounding good, but the Sheraton also sounds like a possibility.
Old Mar 9, 2012, 1:57 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Thanks. The Bayshore is sounding good, but the Sheraton also sounds like a possibility.
If you are going to Vancouver for a vacation- the Bayshore is a far better option. If for work- the Sheraton is convenient- however not close to the Bayshore in terms of view/ambience/etc.
Old Mar 9, 2012, 11:09 am

Programs: AP*SE, SPG Plat, HH Diamond, FPC Plat, Hyatt Diamond
Completely agree with TRAVELSIG...far calmer, vacation-like ambiance and "open" feeling at the Bayshore, great location for the 'outdoorsy' Vancouver people usually think about, as in mountains/ocean/ deep green parks. Sheraton's atmosphere is more businesslike, though high floors have more sweeping views than Westin. Staff have always been great at both.

(I personally don't like the Grand, feels cramped to me, service-challenged staff).
Old Mar 9, 2012, 6:19 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Thanks everyone. I have decided on the Westin Bayshore.
Old Jun 26, 2012, 9:42 am

Programs: SPG Plat / Marriott Plat / Hertz PC
Frustrated

I am trying to book 2 rooms using points at the Westin Bayshore in Vancouver and the current rate states:

"Save up to 20 percent with daily breakfast for 2. Advance payment required; cancel rules apply. from 173 CAD or 8,000 Starpoints"

Now since I am plat, I get breakfast as an amenity on the 1st room but the 2nd room no breakfast. That is policy. No argument there.

It is really annoying that if I pay the current standard rate I get breakfast (at $173 CAD) but the points do not provide it.

I guess I am just venting, but using valuable Starpoints for 2 rooms should include benefits for BOTH rooms.
Old Jun 26, 2012, 9:47 am

Programs: spg gold, CO Platinum, MR Gold
Originally Posted by vrundmc
I am trying to book 2 rooms using points at the Westin Bayshore in Vancouver and the current rate states:

"Save up to 20 percent with daily breakfast for 2. Advance payment required; cancel rules apply. from 173 CAD or 8,000 Starpoints"

Now since I am plat, I get breakfast as an amenity on the 1st room but the 2nd room no breakfast. That is policy. No argument there.

It is really annoying that if I pay the current standard rate I get breakfast (at $173 CAD) but the points do not provide it.

I guess I am just venting, but using valuable Starpoints for 2 rooms should include benefits for BOTH rooms.
why not book 1 room with the breakfast rate and the other with points? you can then choose the breakfast plat amenity (and potentially upgrade to full breakfast) on the 2nd room and that way you can get breakfast for both rooms?
Old Jun 26, 2012, 9:52 am
Moderator: GLBT travelers, India-based Airlines and India; FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Yes!
8000 starpoints?

Is it Cat 3 is 7k or Cat 4 at 10k?
Old Jun 26, 2012, 10:43 am

Programs: SPG Plat / Marriott Plat / Hertz PC
Cat 4. It's 10k points but with a 5 night stay, it turns into 8k. Stay 4 nights get 1 free.
The point was not to pay for a room, to use my Starpoints.

Last edited by vrundmc; Jun 26, 2012 at 10:57 am
Old Jun 26, 2012, 11:35 am

Programs: Marriott Bonvoy Lifetime Titanium, AC Elite, Airmiles Gold, Hertz Gold Plus Rewards
Originally Posted by vrundmc
Cat 4. It's 10k points but with a 5 night stay, it turns into 8k. Stay 4 nights get 1 free.
The point was not to pay for a room, to use my Starpoints.
This is not standard rate but a promo. Westin Bayshore standard rates (as majority North American hotels) never include breakfast. Full buffet breakfast is $30 a head there.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.