Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Hotels and Places to Stay > Marriott | Marriott Bonvoy
Reload this Page >

Westin Bayshore Vancouver [Master Thread]

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Feb 16, 2019, 2:01 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: margarita girl
Hotel email address: [email protected]
Print Wikipost

Westin Bayshore Vancouver [Master Thread]

Search this Thread

Old Jun 12, 2023, 6:04 pm

Programs: MB Ambassador, WOH Globalist, HH Diamond (Aspire), AA Gold, UA (*G) Gold
The first hotel that Western International built themselves - this one has been on my list for a long time! The views and breakfast really make this property a great stay. It isn't perfect, but I had a good time. Here are my pros, cons, and photos:

Pros:
  • Upgraded several days in advance to a Harbour View Corner King - asked about suites at check-in (only one Lanai Suite showed available online the morning of arrival) and was offered a Junior Suite with "no view" and encouraged to keep the corner room - to their credit, they gave several options for immediately available rooms at arrival at 1 PM, but I needed lunch and didn't mind waiting for the corner with the good view
  • They texted me as promised when my room was ready
  • Bed was great - plush mattress, plush pillows, covers not super thick but comfortable for the environment
  • View was fantastically picturesque, and the windows were crazy clean and clear
  • Chaise lounge was comfortable as was the leather desk chair
  • 6 bath towels, 4 hand towels, and 4 washcloths - so nice and convenient!
  • Love the old indented Otis buttons on the elevators
  • Service was really friendly at the front desk - same agent in training at check-in and check-out - very nice
  • Offerred late checkout - no issue with the 3 PM I requested
  • Breakfast was fantastic
    • Elite welcome gift and was told to take advantage of the buffet (full) - no upcharge
    • My server (blonde with tattoos - wish I got her name) was super friendly and always checking on me, made sure I had a to-go coffee - she had a bunch of tables but was always refilling my water and encouraging me to get more food
    • The omelet from the station was huge and yummy
    • Really delicious spinach eggs Benedict with crunchy muffin
    • Yummy bacon and pancakes
  • Shower pressure was decent
Cons:
  • No Internet streaming capabilites on the TVs
  • Half-glass in the shower was not good for keeping water in
  • Bathroom and toilet positioning was a bit cramped
  • No in-room Ambassador welcome gift
Overall, I would absolutely return.

Photos:

DELee, LSEGallipot, Vaclav and 3 others like this.
Old Jun 12, 2023, 6:24 pm

Another great review! I was hoping you might stop in here as I have looked at this one numerous times but something just kept pulling me back from staying here! It definitely is in a gorgeous area with great views - close walk down the path into Stanley Park.
Old Jun 13, 2023, 7:05 am

Programs: Marriott Lifetime Titanium, AA Plat MM
Originally Posted by ElevatorEnthusiast
The first hotel that Western International built themselves - this one has been on my list for a long time! The views and breakfast really make this property a great stay. It isn't perfect, but I had a good time. Here are my pros, cons, and photos:
Thanks for the trip down memory lane. I had even forgotten that was the original name of Westin.
Old Jun 13, 2023, 12:24 pm

Programs: All Accor Plat, 1865 Voyager, AE E35K, HH Gold,Hyatt, Hrtz Gold, Marriott Gold, NEXUS
Brought back some memories. I have stayed here dozens of times and spent the better part of 4 months there once in the early 90s. Was lucky enought to get upgraded to the suite Howard Hughes used to live in one week. I miss the bar at Trader Vic's that disappeared shortly after Trader Vic's closed.
Old Sep 21, 2023, 8:47 pm

SNAs

Has anyone had success applying SNAs to reservations? It doesn’t seem to work anymore on the app or website for the Bayshore. Anyone else?
Old Sep 21, 2023, 9:46 pm

Originally Posted by yyzflyer
Thanks for the trip down memory lane. I had even forgotten that was the original name of Westin.
The original name was actually Western Hotels. It became Western International in 1963, as they started expanding overseas. The two words were then contracted into the made-up word Westin in 1981, presumably as a result of focus group testing by marketing geniuses, lol. Not trying to be nitpicky, but I'm fascinated by this stuff, I wrote most of the Wikipedia page for the chain, haha.

Last edited by James Luckard; Sep 22, 2023 at 2:39 am
Old Sep 22, 2023, 2:41 am

tjk1976, mplflyer, kokinos and 7 others like this.
Old Sep 25, 2023, 5:07 pm

Programs: Bonvoy Lifetime Plat (earned as Starwood), Canadian Amex Plat & resulting statuses, WestJet Silver
They should never have changed the old scripty W logo IMO. It could still be spotted in some corners of the Bayshore until a couple of years ago.
Old Sep 26, 2023, 11:47 pm

I found a great 2015 article from the Vancouver Sun about the hotel's opening:

https://www.pressreader.com/canada/v...81539404457454

It includes a cool vintage ad for the opening, showing a helicopter approaching the hotel's helipad:

Also, it looks like The Bayshore Inn was originally supposed to be named the Canadian Hotel. It appears under that name in a June 1960 brochure I have for the St. Francis:
Old Sep 27, 2023, 7:52 am

Originally Posted by James Luckard
The original name was actually Western Hotels. It became Western International in 1963, as they started expanding overseas. The two words were then contracted into the made-up word Westin in 1981, presumably as a result of focus group testing by marketing geniuses, lol. Not trying to be nitpicky, but I'm fascinated by this stuff, I wrote most of the Wikipedia page for the chain, haha.

Thank you for posting these! Lived in Vancouver all my life and have always been fascinated by this hotel and its history.
”Frederick and Nelson” stamped on the brochure is also a blast from the past. It was one of my favorite department stores in Seattle.
James Luckard likes this.
Old Sep 27, 2023, 10:48 am

Originally Posted by James Luckard
I found a great 2015 article from the Vancouver Sun about the hotel's opening:

https://www.pressreader.com/canada/v...81539404457454

It includes a cool vintage ad for the opening, showing a helicopter approaching the hotel's helipad:

why on earth is there a US flag on the hotel in this drawing???
Old Sep 27, 2023, 2:53 pm

Programs: Bonvoy Lifetime Plat (earned as Starwood), Canadian Amex Plat & resulting statuses, WestJet Silver
Originally Posted by rambling man
why on earth is there a US flag on the hotel in this drawing???
It's not. It would've been a Canadian Red Ensign (Canada's flag until 1965).
Old Sep 27, 2023, 3:32 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL, OZ, AC, AS, AA, BA, Hilton, Hyatt, Marriott, IHG
Originally Posted by tjk1976
That's news to me!
Old Sep 27, 2023, 7:45 pm

Originally Posted by tjk1976
ah, of course. thanks, i didn't think of that.
tjk1976 likes this.
Old Sep 28, 2023, 2:05 am

You can see the Trader Vic's structure to the right of the hotel on the drawing. The linked article tells its interesting history:

The San Francisco chain spent $500,000 on the restaurant, which was designed like a Polynesian long house. The interior was incredible, an airy space brimming with tribal shields, masks, spears, carved poles, bamboo screens, conch shells, canoes, long boats, and thatched baskets. “(Architect) Reno Negrin recalled that one hour before the restaurant opened, the Liquor Control Board refused to issue a licence, because half a dozen of the tiki poles had fertility figures with erect penises,” recounts local tiki expert Don Luxton. “Negrin resolved this problem with a hacksaw, and the restaurant opened on schedule.” A 20-storey tower was added to the original hotel in the mid-1960s, and became internationally renowned when billionaire recluse Howard Hughes holed up there for six months in 1972. Hughes booked the top two floors, but stayed in Room 2090, which now rents for $300 to $800 per night, depending on the season. After a $51-million reno in 2000, the Bayshore now has 511 rooms. But it doesn’t have Trader Vic’s, which closed in 1999 after the Vancouver park board insisted the owners of the Bayshore give it some waterfront park space when the Bayshore parking lot was developed into condos. Trader Vic’s was hoisted onto a barge and moved to a new location in Saanich. The new owner planned to use it as an event space, but it never happened.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.