Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Hotels and Places to Stay > Marriott | Marriott Bonvoy
Reload this Page >

Westin Bayshore Vancouver [Master Thread]

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Feb 16, 2019, 2:01 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: margarita girl
Hotel email address: [email protected]
Print Wikipost

Search this Thread

Old Jun 10, 2003, 9:37 pm

Programs: UA 1K/2MM, SPG/Marriott Lifetime Titanium, Lifetime HHonors Diamond, Hyatt Globalist, AA Exec Plat
Art234, glad to hear that you had a great stay at the Westin Vancouver Bayshore. It's a possibility (perhaps remote) that my "whining" last week on this board may have helped, and perhaps William has been sending out "reminders" to this and other Westins about "taking care of Plats"?

Regarding transportation, agree that the Westin Bayshore runs a free shuttle bus services to downtown, and that taxis are plentiful and not too expensive.

BTW, if you guys are in the mood for superb sushi, I highly recommend Yoshi at 689 Denman St, 5 mins walk from the hotel.
Old Jun 11, 2003, 8:38 am

Programs: AA Plat, AS MVP, HH Diamond, *Wood Plat
I agree this is one of the nicest *Wood properties I've stayed in. I stay here regularly with my wife, even though we live in Vancouver. It's a great escape from home, we can pretend we're taking real vacation and the Sunday brunch is great. I've been treated well here as both gold and platinum.
Walking in downtown Vancouver is safe. In fact, the worst areas of this city are better than some of the places I lived when I was in school on the east coast (Boston, Albany).
Old Jun 11, 2003, 9:38 am

Thanks all for the replies! If we go with this hotel are there particular room areas/buildings to avoid? I've read reviews indicating the Westin B has some really small bathrooms. Are all rooms like that or just some rooms? I'm only SPG Gold so I'm not expecting an upgrade. While I have earned a free upgrade through a recently targeted promotion, I don't know if the free upgrade applies if we book a "cash + points" room. The SPG rep told me I can't even make the upgrade request until I am "within 5 days of arrival".
Old Jun 11, 2003, 12:56 pm
Company Representative - Starwood

Programs: Marriott Employee Level
<font face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif" size="2">Originally posted by sapguy:
Art234, glad to hear that you had a great stay at the Westin Vancouver Bayshore. It's a possibility (perhaps remote) that my "whining" last week on this board may have helped, and perhaps William has been sending out "reminders" to this and other Westins about "taking care of Plats"?
</font>
Actually, Art234's stay was last September. I cannot remember now what roll I may have played in his happiness with The Westin Bayshore since I have slept once or twice since then, but it would indeed be presumptuous for me to send any reminders to any Westin hotels regarding Platinum member reception. The one exception might be if I found that there had been a confirmable violation of the Terms and Conditions of Starwood Preferred Guest Membership, but I tend to let the hotel coordinators and Hotel Customer Service do the "speaking" for me in these instances.

Sincerely,

William R. Sanders
Customer Service Coordinator
Starwood Preferred Services

[email protected]
Old Jun 11, 2003, 8:35 pm

Programs: UA 1K/2MM, SPG/Marriott Lifetime Titanium, Lifetime HHonors Diamond, Hyatt Globalist, AA Exec Plat
Thanks William, for pointing out my little error. I did not read the fine print clearly

<font face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif" size="2">Originally posted by Starwood Lurker:
Actually, Art234's stay was last September. I cannot remember now what roll I may have played in his happiness with The Westin Bayshore since I have slept once or twice since then, but it would indeed be presumptuous for me to send any reminders to any Westin hotels regarding Platinum member reception. The one exception might be if I found that there had been a confirmable violation of the Terms and Conditions of Starwood Preferred Guest Membership, but I tend to let the hotel coordinators and Hotel Customer Service do the "speaking" for me in these instances.

Sincerely,

William R. Sanders
Customer Service Coordinator
Starwood Preferred Services

[email protected]
</font>
Old Aug 9, 2003, 7:03 pm

Hi all,

I'm planning a trip to the Westin Bayshore Vancouver B.C. and wanted to find out if you guys had any problems with parking and also your experience with the internet conncetions.

Thanks!
Lawrence
Old Aug 9, 2003, 11:06 pm

I'm planning a trip to the Westin Bayshore Vancouver B.C. and wanted to find out if you guys had any problems with parking and also your experience with the internet conncetions.

Thanks!
Lawrence

===========================================

Unless you have a specific attachment to the Westin Bayshore why are you staying there? It is a bit run down but some renovations ahve been done. The Sheraton Wall Centre is a much better hotel--better location bigger rooms. Of course if your meeting is there you have no choice. Not much problem parking. I don't know about the internet. They have a shuttle to downtown ( complimentary)
Old Aug 10, 2003, 7:57 am

Programs: DL (MM), UA(MM) , AA(MM) , Bonvoy - LT Titanium
I stayed there in July 2002. No trouble with parking but I do not recall them having high speed internet connections, although I had no trouble with dial-up.

Overall an OK hotel especially if you have your family with you - close to Stanley Park and great views.
Old Aug 10, 2003, 8:57 am

And the Westin Grand is a fantastic brand new all suite property with walk in showers and separate bath tubs. They also have mini kitchens which I am sure would be helpful with children. It has good views but is in more of a city location.
Old Aug 10, 2003, 10:29 pm

If you are not tied to staying near Stanley Park, I find the Westin Grand a far superior hotel, I can't say enough good things about it!

Old Aug 10, 2003, 11:31 pm
Company Representative - Air Canada

I agree. Westin Grand is a far superior hotel than both the Sheraton Wall centre and Westin Bayshort. Great staff and great rooms! If you get one of the high floors; you'll get a beautiful view of Vancouver.
Old Oct 6, 2003, 10:35 pm

Location: SWUSA / AA PLAT, SPG PLAT, AMEX CENTURION, HHONORS Diamond
Help, please, in picking a Vancouver starwood property for one night late December as stopping point before a marvelous Westin/Whistler ski trip.

I've searched and read loads of info re: Sheraton Wall Centre, Westin Bayshore, and Westin Grand. But seems each one has strong points, and maybe weak points. So I'm left with more questions than answers.

Our priorities:
1) as large as possible indoor or outdoor, or both, heated pool complex. Our kids like to swim.(Grand's pictures imply a very tiny lappool at best, or am I missing something ??)
2) proximity to bay (Bayshore seems to win here)
3) opportunity and propensity for a super-cool PLAT suite upgrade.
4) high-speed internet.

Will not have much time to see Vancouver, per se, before heading out after one night stopover, so proximity to walking scenery not especially important this trip.

TIA
Old Oct 7, 2003, 3:49 pm

Hey City,

listen to the people steering you to the Westin Grand. The superior rooms are very large and it is in a good location of Vancouver. Lots to see within walking distance. My wife and I stayed there last year in Late December and we also went to the Westin in Whistler. I'm not sure if it is still running, but we took the BC Rail up to Whistler instead of driving. If you are at the Westin YOU DO NOT NEED A CAR!!!! BC Rail has a van that will take you from the drop off point in North Whistler village to the center of Whistler. It's about a $3.00 (I think less) cab ride from there to the resort. Make sure you make spa reservations early if you are going get a massage or any treatments, they go quickly. I hope I have helped.

------------------
It's nice to find a group of people from my planet!
Old Oct 8, 2003, 11:17 am

Programs: AA Plat, AS MVP, HH Diamond, *Wood Plat
BC Rail discontinued all of it's passenger services from Vancouver. They still operate a shuttle service in the northern part of the province, but that won't get you to Whistler.
Old Oct 8, 2003, 11:58 am

Location: SWUSA / AA PLAT, SPG PLAT, AMEX CENTURION, HHONORS Diamond
Roaddoggie,
thanks for the tips. Can you comment specifically about the SIZE of pool facilities at the Grand ? The all-suite concept sure looks appealing, but our time is short, so walking distance or not to these attractions is not a major concern. Heated pool with enough capacity to handle 2+ familes and kids is. Picture of the GRAND sure made the pool seem more a lap pool than anything.

As to the rental car issue for Whistler, I had high hopes to reserve this train, but via these threads found out it apparently shut down some months ago. Really sad to hear this. Another irony of these ski shuttles (discovered this out of Denver to Aspen last year)...they can charge as much as $150-$200USD for a r/t trip to the slopes, which I find ridiculous....meanwhile we've got SUVs reserved at just over that amount. While I don't relish paying parking fees, still the value of freedom to get out/about outweighs paying the same price for a shuttle and giving up all freedom. So - rental car will be parked, unused, most of the time, but at same equivalent price, we'll take SUV over shuttles.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.