Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Hotels and Places to Stay > Marriott | Marriott Bonvoy
Reload this Page >

Sheraton Suites Fort Lauderdale at Cypress Creek [Master Thread]

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Sheraton Suites Fort Lauderdale at Cypress Creek [Master Thread]

Search this Thread

Old Nov 3, 2013, 10:01 pm

Programs: Aeroplan Diamond, SPG Plat, Hilton Gold, Marriott
Originally Posted by craz
The good thing about the airport hotel is they have a free shuttle, so depending on what time you will return the car when leaving, you may be able to save on 1 days rental.

Otherwise Id rather stay at The Suites in Plantation then Cypress Creek, rooms are nicer and no noise from the trains as they pass all hours of the night. My 1st stay @ CC I could have sworn the train was going right thru my room , it woke me up at 2 or 3 am
For one night, the airport hotel is a very good choice.
Old Nov 3, 2013, 10:15 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: United 1K, JAL Sapphire, SPG Lifetime Platinum, National Executive Elite, Hertz PC, Avis PC
The problem with this hotel is its ongoing ignorance of SPG benefits and probably even the existence of the program itself - having been going on like this for ages, I'm curious why SW corp didn't send the operator/GM a terse memo instructing them to ensure staff training is done within x-days or they would be consequences of not being in compliance with the franchise agreement.

I'm typing this from the Westin down the street where, as a Platinum guest, I was upgraded to the 'Governors Suite' before arrival, and parked in a specially marked area "for Platinum guests only" and was offered my choice of Continental breakfast, full buffet for a $5 upcharge, or points - and any onsite dining/drinking would be 50% off. Not only do I feel like a Platinum over here, I'm a shiny one at that.
Old Jul 7, 2014, 7:49 am

Programs: SPG Plat Amb, Hyatt Diamond, Choice Diamond, Marriott Silver
Someone got the message

Wanted to report that SPG recognition has changed much for the better at this property.

From what I can tell, all rooms are the same at this property. Each one is basically a two-room suite with a small bathroom. There are either 2D or 1K per room. The better rooms are the ones that face west (opposite side of the building from the rail line) and are on a high floor.

They just completed a renovation and everything looks very well done. The bedrooms remind me very much of the Sheraton Suites in Key West -- all dark wood. Nice Florida touch. The beds are great and the water pressure is outstanding!

But apparently --- from the comments above --- the biggest change is in how they are handling SPG recognition.

I checked in yesterday at around noon. Immediately got my room. About 6 pm, I received a call from room service letting me know that they would be coming up in about 15 minutes. I always LOVE getting this call, since I know what it means: cookies! But this time, much to my delight, it was actually a very sumptuous cheese plate with all sorts of goodies. And, with it, came a wonderful handwritten note from the hotel's VIP & Club Services Leader (I know this because she included her card).

I also received a call a bit later from the front desk checking in to see if I needed anything. Always nice.

Then, this morning, in the club lounge (which is, uniquely, on the ground floor, next to the kitchen), I was having some oatmeal and a bagel and I ran into the very person who sent the nice note and goodies. We had a bit of a chat. She offered to get anything I wanted from the kitchen (this is a FIRST!) but as I was already full up on oatmeal, I politely declined. I will admit, however, that visions of a ham and swiss omelet did dance in my head...

So, they must have received the message about SPG recognition. Great job!
Old Sep 21, 2014, 10:17 pm
Original Member

Programs: AA 2MM, Bonvoy LTT, Hilton Diamond
Currently at property. Rooms are nicely renovated but overall property just has that out-of-date look. Property is similar to Sheraton Suites by TPA.

As Platinum, was inquired by email as to arrival time. Cheese/fruit plate in room.

The dog pee puddle in room comment in post #41 wouldn't require a stretch of the imagination. Clientele here is definitely "different" than those at the Westin down the road.

Also want to point out that hotel is located near a commuter railroad track as well as located in flight path of Fort Lauderdale Executive Airport (FXE). While those general aviation aircraft is not as loud as a commercial jet, you can hear takeoffs and landings.

Last edited by seawolf; Sep 23, 2014 at 9:00 pm
Old Jul 8, 2015, 5:29 am

Programs: UA *S , MR LT Titanium, HH Diamond, Hertz PC
Any more recent stays here? Consider this place due to the low point requirements for a stay next year over the Easter Weekend on points. Don't mind driving to the beach or for dinner, but would like to know if benefits are still as listed, if the lounge is any good and so on - or if I should look at some other place?

Reviews on Tripadvisor are somewhat mixed (even those posted lately), and the train-issue is mentioned in about half of them... So anyone stayed there more recently and can report back? It also seems the GM has changed sometime in January/February - any effect from that which has been noticed?

Finally if someone has a contact eMail of the hotel over the generic address posted online that would be appreciated as well...

Thanks in advance!

Greetings - Dirk
Old Jul 8, 2015, 9:29 am

Programs: Household of Delta GM & PM, SWA RR CP, Bonvoy Platinum, Hertz #1 Gold, Budget RZ
Originally Posted by djohannw
Any more recent stays here? Consider this place due to the low point requirements for a stay next year over the Easter Weekend on points. Don't mind driving to the beach or for dinner, but would like to know if benefits are still as listed, if the lounge is any good and so on - or if I should look at some other place?

Reviews on Tripadvisor are somewhat mixed (even those posted lately), and the train-issue is mentioned in about half of them... So anyone stayed there more recently and can report back? It also seems the GM has changed sometime in January/February - any effect from that which has been noticed?

Finally if someone has a contact eMail of the hotel over the generic address posted online that would be appreciated as well...

Thanks in advance!

Greetings - Dirk
We stay here before our cruises in January or February usually. I have never heard the train, but you are close to Florida Executive Airport so I have heard the airplanes.

Club lounge is standard, couple hot breakfast choices and couple hot appetizers at night. There are a quite a few chain restaurants in the area just on the other side of the tracks you can walk to. Since we had club lounge access we took the 500 welcome points instead of the breakfast.

If you are looking for space on good award redemption or price this hotel is a good deal.
Old Jul 8, 2015, 10:54 am
Suspended

Originally Posted by mbaker0936
We stay here before our cruises in January or February usually. I have never heard the train, but you are close to Florida Executive Airport so I have heard the airplanes.

Club lounge is standard, couple hot breakfast choices and couple hot appetizers at night. There are a quite a few chain restaurants in the area just on the other side of the tracks you can walk to. Since we had club lounge access we took the 500 welcome points instead of the breakfast.

If you are looking for space on good award redemption or price this hotel is a good deal.
The key is to get a room towards the back and on the left side(side towards Cypress Creek Blvd) The airport I believe is on the right side when facing the hotel and the train tracks are in front of the hotel

Im a heavy sleeper yet when I had a room my 1st time smack up front, facing East towards the train.I literally woke up thinking that train was running straight thru the room with its blasting horns on going.

Its a former Embassy Suites so that whats the layout is for those that know the typical ES layout
Old Jul 9, 2015, 12:40 am

Programs: Marriott Tit, Hyatt Diamond, AA EXP, UA Silver, IHG Plat
I think this property is fine for what it is. As mentioned upthread, it reminds me of the one in TPA. Good redemption values on the weekends for award stays. I've stayed a few times. Never received any cheese, though....
Old Jul 9, 2015, 6:58 am

Programs: DL-MM/FC/FO AA-EXP/MM Starwood-Platinum Marriott-Platinum Hilton-Gold Hyatt-Diamond
Originally Posted by drewp123
I think this property is fine for what it is. As mentioned upthread, it reminds me of the one in TPA.....
Both of these hotels were built at the same time as Guest Quarters properties.

TW
Old Jul 9, 2015, 7:45 pm

Programs: Aeroplan, Marriott Bonvoy (Gold)
Any recent upgrade success to club level for gold members?

Booked with points and no option to upgrade with points.
Old Jul 9, 2015, 8:49 pm
Suspended

Originally Posted by peroorim
Any recent upgrade success to club level for gold members?

Booked with points and no option to upgrade with points.
Never even knew they had a Club Level. I do make it apoint not to geta room on then top floor a sthe sun is heating the roof all day long which heats up the rooms as well

The Lounge(club) is on the main floor fwiw. Dont think youd get anything on a so called club level floor that you wouldnt on any other floor
Old Jan 1, 2016, 8:00 pm

Programs: SPG, AA, B6. No longer "still CO to me" with account spent down. RIP CO.
sums it up for me

Originally Posted by drewp123
I think this property is fine for what it is.
When I'm down in FLL, I usually stay at the beach as that's why I'm down. This time it was a quick hope for the Billy Joel NYE show where the Panthers play. Plantation is closer but was sold out and the Westin was asking $479. This one was only! asking $349 but I was thrilled to book it for 4K points and expected the minimum.

I was pleasantly surprised. I was struck by its size-and intriguing architecture-from the outside but then quickly realized why it was so huge. The lobby and public area is amazing and huge. Check in with GOLD recognition was good and room was ready early. Surprised to have housekeeping come when I just checked in, but really wasn't an issue as I took a walk to stretch plane legs. The pool area is gorgeous-more resort like than the typical business park hotel.

I didn't need the suite, but what I found wonderful if I had was the actual light barring door between the two spaces. So rare in many suite hotels. My only real complaint was that the bathroom was tiny. As in nearly impossible to maneuver in and no space for toiletries. I hadn't done homework re: proximity to train but it didn't bother me-may not have been running during the 4 hrs of sleep I got (my own doing) or I just didn't hear it.

Did a quick bite here before we went to concert & lunch menu at Terrace 555 is reasonable and portions are large. I'm sure there are other options locally but we didn't know area well and were concerned about New Years lines-validated by a two hour wait at Cheesecake at Sawgrass when all we wanted was dessert. The menu has some (unclear) language about 15% tax and 6% service charge but I think they jsut use same printed menus for room service as we weren't charged it.

I am surprised that this was just renovated. The rooms really aren't in good repair with paint chips, pulls in curtain, broken cabinets in living room sink. Just not well maintained or that busy. In worse shape than the Sheraton Providence which-suites aside-is a similar property.

Would I stay here again? Probably not as it's not a good location for me, but the price and location were right for this and I'd recommend it to people who need same. It's not a vacation destination but fine for business/quick stay. I think it's nicer than the one by the airport, although if I don't need a Starwood stay I quite like the HIX on 1 near the airport.

I have more photos which I'll post when I find where to upload them.
Old Apr 25, 2016, 3:00 pm

Programs: Aeroplan, MileagePlus, Marriott Rewards
I get that this isn't really a vacation destination, but does this property have any merit at all as a base for a family vacation?

I was originally looking at waterfront condo rentals on VRBO but I have to admit the low SPG rate for this place is tempting. I'm normally fine with somewhat out of date Sheratons, but the bigger question relates to location... is it at all convenient to the beach and other attractions? I'd be willing to put up with a few hassles to save a couple thousand bucks, but I guess the question is whether the sacrifice would be too great.
Old Apr 25, 2016, 7:23 pm

Programs: SPG, AA, B6. No longer "still CO to me" with account spent down. RIP CO.
Originally Posted by heraclitus
I get that this isn't really a vacation destination, but does this property have any merit at all as a base for a family vacation?

I was originally looking at waterfront condo rentals on VRBO but I have to admit the low SPG rate for this place is tempting. I'm normally fine with somewhat out of date Sheratons, but the bigger question relates to location... is it at all convenient to the beach and other attractions? I'd be willing to put up with a few hassles to save a couple thousand bucks, but I guess the question is whether the sacrifice would be too great.
The pool (link to photo in my post immediately above, on phone & can't link) is nice, but it's not a resort with the attendant activities. It's right off 95 but about a 20m drive to Las Olas & FLL Beach. Likely a bit closer to Lauderdale by the Sea and/or Pompano but not much.

You may save on accommodation, but you'll need a car here while you mostly don't at the beach. Parking was free, I think. It's not where I'd personally stay if I were coming for the beaches
Old Sep 18, 2017, 3:48 am
Moderator: British Airways Executive Club, Marriott Bonvoy

Programs: SPG LT Plat, BA G, BD*LG, MG Blue+ ...
The hotel will be closed until September 24, 2017, as a result of Hurricane Irma.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.