Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Hotels and Places to Stay > Marriott | Marriott Bonvoy
Reload this Page >

Four Points (formerly Sheraton) Padova, Italy [Master Thread]

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Four Points (formerly Sheraton) Padova, Italy [Master Thread]

Search this Thread

Old Apr 18, 2003, 10:20 am
Moderator: American AAdvantage & Marriott Bonvoy
Original Poster

Programs: American ExPlat; Marriott/SPG Lifetime Plat; Hyatt Globalist
Arrow Four Points (formerly Sheraton) Padova, Italy [Master Thread]

Ever long for the Sheraton JFK, Four Points Indianapolis or Sheraton South Portland (pre-renovation) while in the charm of The Veneto? The Sheraton Padova is your answer!

When I was researching FT for information about hotels in Northern Italy I found very little about this hotel, so I thought Id provide some details on my experience in the hope of sparing others from a similar plight.

I spent a night here last week, as I thought it would be a decent place with easy proximity to the Venice Airport for a morning flight. I was wrong on both counts. Admittedly, my perspective is a little skewed because I came from four nights at Villa Cipriani in Asolo and a night at the Westin Palace in Milan, but I do my share of Sheratons around the world, so I think I was managing my expectations reasonably well.

Im SPG Platinum and I was upgraded to a two-room suite on the top floor of the hotel, which was ready for me upon arrival. Nice so far, huh!? Well. . .

Close your eyes and think back to those wild college days when youd wake up in the morning after a huge party at your house. Remember that lingering smell of staleness and cigarette butts? Welcome to my room at the Sheraton Padova. Ive never in my life stayed in a room, anywhere, that smelled this bad. My first thought was to not even open my suitcase so that all my clothes wouldnt absorb the overwhelming stench of smoke. I immediately called down to the front desk and asked if I could be moved to a non-smoking room as I had requested.

This is Italy, sir, not America everyone smokes. We do not have non-smoking rooms. Silly me. As a Starwood VIP we have given you one of our very best rooms.

After hanging up the phone and suppressing the gag reflex from the odor, I began to absorb the dcor:

-- Hot pink, with a salmon-ish cast, wallpapered walls.

-- Mint green suede sofas with a matching dining table, trimmed in mint green suede with a glass top. Italian post-modern, circa late 1970s.

-- Four round, fat oversized dining chairs. Remember the big, oversized half-circled chairs that were typically covered in vinyl? (Well these were, you guessed it. . . mint green suede.)

-- Chrome swag lamp, standing in the corner of the room with a sweeping arm high into the air, positioning a small chrome bowl lamp over the center of the table. I think the Partridge Family had one of these.

-- Mauve carpet throughout. The color of a suit Don Johnson MUST have worn in Miami Vice. This was the most recent addition to the room.

-- Bathroom with wall-to-wall (and ceiling) dark chocolate brown swirled 24 x 24 tile. Imagine what it might look like sitting inside a half-eaten pint of Ben & Jerrys Chocolate Fudge Brownie Ice Cream. (I thought of a couple more graphic analogies, but I am a moderator, after all.)

-- Full mirrored shower (so you dont miss any of those hard-to-reach spots??)

Ordered dinner from Room Service. I know, I know . . . what was I thinking? Positively awful in every respect. Hot items were cold. Cold items were warm. Nothing tasted good. Nastiest Caesar Salad Ive ever sampled. Opened the very young Italian Merlot that was provided as a Platinum welcome gift undrinkable. And I drink, and enjoy, a lot of inexpensive Italian wines.

Bed was hard as a rock with sheet surface to match even for Italy.

Drive to the airport in the morning (~25 miles), while very easy on one freeway, took almost 2 HOURS. Dont stay here merely for proximity to the Venice airport. If you are otherwise inclined to stay at the Villa Cipriani in Asolo, youll enjoy the stay much more and have a much easier drive into the airport coming at it from that side of Venice.

There were some positive things:

-- Other than the horrific smell of the room, it appeared clean. The bathroom was very clean and well kept.

-- They offer a regular shuttle into the center of the old town of Padova, which we took in for a few hours in the evening. The center of town is a fun place to stroll around and shop, eat and see the sites. A very pretty, busy center with interesting character. This was definitely the highlight of our stop in Padova.

-- My SPG status was recognized with a big suite on the top floor and a note & gift of the awful wine from the GM. I have to say that I kept wondering, if this is as GOOD as it gets (we have given you one of our best rooms), what must the others be like??

All-in-all, were it not for the horrible smell, I suppose this hotel would have just been another old, outdated Sheraton with funky old Italian furnishings, bad food and mediocre service that is badly in need of either massive renovation or demolition. From my experience, I recommend the latter.

This hotel is an embarrassment to Starwood. I can now understand why the folks up the hill at the Hotel Villa Cipriani in Asolo were reportedly so dismayed at being flagged a Sheraton. If this nearby hotel provides their perspective on Sheraton, its no wonder theyre embarrassed.
Old Apr 18, 2003, 8:16 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA EXP 1.7 M, Hilton Gold, Hertz 5*, AARP Sophomore, 14-time Croix de Candlestick
AZ - I had a slightly better experience there in August '01: I was driving into Italy from Austria and decided at the last minute to take a different Autostrade route. I called the US *wood reservations line from a roadside reststop just after crossing the OS-IT border and secured a room with *points. Ninety minutes later I was at the hotel - they didn't have my reservation yet (they seemed used to "spontaneous" reservations taking a few hours to make it through the system) but graciously took me at my word and gave me a room (high floor, it had ashtrays but thankfully no lingering smoke "effect"). The decor was a little dated, but in good shape and very clean.

The odd thing to me was the parking - a fee-based "guarded" parking lot at the front-side of the building, versus a no-charge, "unprotected" lot in back (the hotel is highway-side in a commercial/industrial zone). Since the employees parked in the back, I did as well, with no problems.

Most experienced travelers who are sensitive to smoke realize that European hotels don't always have dedicated nonsmoking rooms, but then the hotels and theyr reservations offices should be careful not to guarantee nonsmokling accomodations if they can't honor the pledge. The only time it has happened to me recently wasn't at a *wood but in Amsterdam at the Hotel de L'Europe, supposedly one of the best in the city (killer location but rude rude rude staff) - the haughty clerk laughed when I showed my printed nonsmoking confirmation from the Leading Hotels of the World reservations office, saying "oh, that means nothing".....
Old May 16, 2003, 8:51 am

Programs: SPG Titanium, United Premier 1K
So I should not use this hotel for it's proximaty to the airport right? I have a 6:30 AM flight and was thinking of this hotel. Also, what hotels in Venice are good for Platinum Upgrades?
Old May 16, 2003, 10:10 am
Original Poster

Well, for a 6:30 AM departure, you shouldn't have any trouble getting to the airport. The highway didn't start getting jammed up until about that time, but you'll be long through it by 6:30.

This is by far the cheapest Starwood alternative in the Venice area, so if you want to stay at a Starwood property and you just want close proximity to the airport, then this should work fine for that. (The hotels inside Venice will all cost you in the range of $400+ a night.) If you do it, just look at it as a Platinum qualifying night close to an airport and don't have any higher expectations.

At 5:00 in the morning, plan 30-40 minutes to the airport and you should be fine.
Old May 16, 2003, 10:20 am

Stayed there two years ago and had few complaints. This is a level 1 property so my expectations were not high. I recall my Plat amenity was some fruit/wine/water. Room was a very small twin (but no smoke smell-perhaps their only non-smoking room). A full buffett breakfast came with the room. Hotel had a free shuttle into Padova. The bus to Venice stopped on the highway out front. TF

[This message has been edited by tofromord (edited 05-16-2003).]
Old May 16, 2003, 11:29 am

Programs: SPG Titanium, United Premier 1K
Thanks - I think I'll do that for my last night - might even use 3000 Starpoints for it as well, OR maybe the 1000 Starpoints for a 50% discount. I'd hate to spend $400 and have to leave at 5 AM in the morning.

Also, I know this is not the right forum but I just bought the $215 tickets to Venice from NW (details in Mileage Run). How is Vienna in August ? Is it that bad? Are canals really that stinky? I think for $215 I can see past that. What do you guys think?
Old May 16, 2003, 8:15 pm
Original Poster

It's definitely worth 3,000 points or an SPG50. As I recall, that's what I did and paid around $120. Still too much for the dump, but I suppose I should stop being so hard on them.

[This message has been edited by AZ Travels the World (edited 05-16-2003).]
Old May 18, 2003, 3:04 pm

Programs: Marriott and British Airways
Starwood Lurker Help Problems in Padova Italy

Hello Starwood Lurker, there are many complains of the Sheraton in Paduva in Italy. I will be going there ( starwood gold member ) at it seems that the management are not offering Sheraton Quality. Must i cancel my reservation or is Starwood will going to solve the problems at this hotel.

Look also at this message from other PL guest:

http://www.flyertalk.com/milesfr.shtml

------------------
Gold SPG, Sliver Marriot,BLue Wing KLM
Old May 18, 2003, 3:13 pm

Programs: Marriott Plat Premier/LT Plat; SPG Plat/LT Gold; Hilton Gold; Hyatt Plat
starwood lurker handles spg problems not hotel quality issue. that is an issue for customer care and the mgmt of the hotel. while your complaint is valid i dont like the tone you are using with him, being a new member you dont realize how helpful he is.
Old May 18, 2003, 8:15 pm
Suspended

800-328-6242. call this number before having william intercede.
Old May 19, 2003, 12:04 pm
Company Representative - Starwood

Programs: Marriott Employee Level
Thanks, fctsty. But it looks as if cpspas hasn't even stayed at the Sheraton Padova yet. Hard to have an issue to report about if you haven't even completed the stay.

I always urge those who have problems with hotels to call Hotel Customer Service. This is the only way correct any problems from the corporate end. Of course, the toll-free number to the office in the U.S. isn't going to be very helpful for cpspas, he/she can call the Customer Contact Center nearest him/her and ask to be transferred to their office - provided he/she has an issue to report.

Best of luck,

William R. Sanders
Customer Service Coordinator
Starwood Preferred Services

[email protected]

[This message has been edited by Starwood Lurker (edited 05-19-2003).]
Old May 19, 2003, 1:27 pm
Original Poster

I've offered my opinions of this hotel in detail (in thread link provided by Private Pilot above). Personally, I don't think there is much anyone can do about this place, short of imploding it and starting over or shutting it down for a year and doing a multi-million-Euro renovation.

Starwood has a wonderful portfolio of hotels around the world, and particularly in Italy. That's the primary reason I'm so loyal to them. Unfortunately, there are also a few Sheraton's in their portfolio that should be avoided if you're looking for a quality hotel experience. For me, this place is vying for the top of that list.

I would have no illusions about anything being changed prior to your visit. It is what it is.
Old Jul 4, 2003, 3:02 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Location: SF CA USA. I love large faceless corporations. And they cherish me in return (sometimes). ;)
Programs: UA Premier Gold/disappointed 1MM, HH Gold, IHG Plat, MB Gold, BW Diam Sel
So, other than the horrible stale cigarette smell (which would bother me too), what exactly was wrong with your room??? From your description, the decor sounds so awful that it might be kinda fun!

Also, for anyone not yet familiar with it, Padova/Padua is a wonderful town. Please don't just think of it as an overnight stopover for the Venice airport, but allow several hours (including daytime hours) for a visit to the city.

Kathy
Old Jul 6, 2003, 10:14 pm

From the airport we will have 4 bags. Does the public bus leave directly from the airport? Do we have to change buses?
What is the schedule?

Old Jul 7, 2003, 6:06 am

My wife and I spent a night there a few years ago in a similar or the same 70's style disco suite. We weren't enamoured with the style, but found it was more than acceptable. It did make you want to listen to the soundtrack of Saturday Night Fever, though. The hotel is more akin to a typical North American suburban style Sheraton than most SW European properties. Breakfast was included on our award stay and an eminently drinkable bottle of wine was left in our room. Don't neglect using the hotel's complimentary shuttle to venture into central Padua. It's a wonderfully historic university town ... quite picturesque, really. The central market is a great place to satiate your appetite for all manner of tempting foodstuffs. It really is futile to resist their allure.

vickh:
This is the Venice Airport website. Here's another link you might find useful. For further information try a Google search.

[This message has been edited by flyme2 (edited 07-07-2003).]

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.