Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Westin Charlotte [Master Thread]

Search this Thread

Old Nov 8, 2013, 12:58 pm

Programs: AA EXP; Marriott Lifetime / Annual Titanium; Massively Missing Starwood
I got a call from a nice lady named Danielle...professional and polite. In the end I am told that one cannot trust the inventory on the spg.com website; you need to look at the hotel's own website for the actual availability.

Sure enough, the hotel's website shows no exec suites available despite spg.com still showing them.

An easy answer, but what an absolute comedy encountered along the way.
Old Nov 8, 2013, 6:18 pm
Marriott Contributor Badge

Programs: AA EXP 2MM; Marriott Titanium; Hilton Diamond; Hyatt Explorist; Vistana 5* Elite; Nat'l Exec Elite
Originally Posted by dingo
I got a call from a nice lady named Danielle...professional and polite. In the end I am told that one cannot trust the inventory on the spg.com website; you need to look at the hotel's own website for the actual availability.

Sure enough, the hotel's website shows no exec suites available despite spg.com still showing them.

An easy answer, but what an absolute comedy encountered along the way.
That still sounds fishy. So one could make a reservation, perhaps a prepaid reservation, on SPG.com for a room which in reality is not currently available in the property's inventory for the night?
Old May 1, 2015, 2:53 pm

Thanks for some nice stay reports in 2013. Any updates? Plat breakfast still "coffee, juice, cereal, that sort of thing, nothing hot" as reported in Wiki? Any comparison to the Sheraton? I can't quite fit the LeMeridien into my budget, even though it's usually cheaper than the Westin.
Old May 2, 2015, 8:31 am

Programs: UA 1MM; Marriott LT Titanium
Stayed there a month ago. Breakfast is still all cold items. You can pay an additional fee for hot items. Free water bottles in the lobby although the fridge empties out quickly. Gym is very nice.

I prefer the Sheraton though due to the lounge. Would rank Meridian the worst out of the 3
Old May 2, 2015, 10:52 am

Thanks awu25. You just eased my decision-making.
Old Oct 16, 2015, 11:17 pm

Originally Posted by awu25
Stayed there a month ago. Breakfast is still all cold items. You can pay an additional fee for hot items. Free water bottles in the lobby although the fridge empties out quickly. Gym is very nice.

I prefer the Sheraton though due to the lounge. Would rank Meridian the worst out of the 3
How do the Westin, Sheraton, LM compare to the Marriott, CY and Hilton?
Old Oct 17, 2015, 3:28 pm

Programs: UA 1MM; Marriott LT Titanium
Originally Posted by blackeagle
How do the Westin, Sheraton, LM compare to the Marriott, CY and Hilton?
See my response in your Marriott thread for comparisons of Westin/Sheraton/Marriott. I'd also suggest looking at TripAdvisor rankings as there are probably very few people who have in 3 different brands of hotels in one city.
Old Sep 21, 2016, 10:19 pm

Programs: AA ExPl, DL PM, UA Silver, Hyatt Globalist, Marriott Titanium, probably some others
There are reports that this hotel has been looted as part of the unrest in Charlotte tonight. Those with upcoming reservations might want to check in with the hotel tomorrow morning.
Old May 17, 2017, 1:52 pm
Suspended
Marriott 25+ BadgeAman Contributor Badge

Programs: Marriott Ambassador and LTT, UA Plat/LT Gold, AA Gold
Another good weekend stay and amazing service at the Westin Charlotte

The Westin Charlotte

Map| 1 Review | 100% Recommended

The Westin Charlotte

601 S College St Charlotte, NC US 28202

Another good weekend stay and amazing service at the Westin Charlotte (4 Photos)

The Westin Charlotte

I had a 3 night weekend stay in April 2017 at The Westin Charlotte, bridging two different business trips. This was my 3rd stay at the hotel, and I've really enjoyed all of my stays. 

The hotel is bright, modern, and well located near downtown. The staff is wonderful and the service has always been very good. Last year, on a visit in June 2016, I seriously hurt my back en route to Charlotte, and the Westin staff really bent over backwards to assist and accommodate me. They provided me the hotel car to take me to a nearby clinic they found for me, and take me to the pharmarcy to get my prescriptions filled, before bringing me back--all at no charge. I've never forgotten that incredible level of service.

Check In

Check in was quick and easy. As the hotel was sold out, I was merely upgraded to a Grand King room, which was fine for me.

Room

The Grand King room was more than sufficient for my weekend stay. The room was very classic Westin modern:

westin-charlotte-hotel.jpg

photo1jpg-2.jpg

photo0jpg-2.jpg

The view shows the central location:

1_westin-charlotte.jpg

Air con worked very well and the shower pressure was great. All the bells and whistles for the room were in great working order.

Service

Service has always been a highlight of this hotel. 

I had great service with the front desk, both in checking me in and in helping arrange keys for other rooms in my group. I had great service from housekeeping--coming later in the day as per my request. I had great room service with prompt deliveries every time. I had great restaurant service, too.

As this was the 3 week point into an almost 5 week business trip for me, I also made use of the hotel's laundry service. Despite missing the deadline to turn in laundry by about an hour, the hotel called the service and managed to get them to return to pick up my laundry--and I got it on time that same day. That was probably the biggest service test and positive for this stay.

Again, I had such remarkable service in June 2016 with my hurt back that I really have great expectations with this Westin. And they've never disappointed.

Dining

Dining here is a highlight, one of the other big reasons I always return. The restaurant food and service is great. The bar/lounge food/service is great. The bar service at night is great. Room service is great. Food and beverage here is excellent.

The hotel is an easy 20-25 min drive from the airport, and is located right downtown. It is an excellent location. 

Overall

I love the Westin Charlotte. The hotel and rooms are all modern, clean, and have great air con, and the hotel is extremely well located. But the service and food/beverage are the highlights that keep me returning. This is my go to hotel whenever I am here in Charlotte for work...and perhaps even leisure. 

Another good weekend stay and amazing service at the Westin Charlotte

Would you like to write a review on the The Westin Charlotte?

No, thank you.
Yes
Old Feb 27, 2022, 8:36 am

Programs: MB Ambassador, WOH Globalist, HH Diamond (Aspire), AA Gold, UA (*G) Gold
Nice place!

It's been a while since this thread got an update!

I was excited to try out one of John Portman's later creations. I had been upgraded to a Deluxe High Floor King several days before arrival but was upgraded further to a King Executive Suite on the day of arrival in app.

Check in was a bit slow with only one agent, but as I got up to the front of the line, several more agents came out to assist.

My suite was quite nice - it's comprised of two rooms between a standard connecting door. As a result, there are two full bathrooms. The living room has a large couch, and the bedroom has a four-poster bed and another large couch. The bedroom is in the corner with two windows. The bathroom in the bedroom has a very large shower with a frosted window to the outside. I thought the design of the room was nice. The bed had a nice mattress, but I wished the covers were thicker - bring back the Heavenly duvet, please. The shower had nice pressure but took a bit to steam up due to the large size.

Breakfast was in JP Kitchen - no continental mess here. I was told to just order what I wanted. My pancakes and side of bacon were very tasty - love the crispy pancake edge. Service was efficient.

Service was good - efficient and friendly. No issue with 4 PM late checkout. I'll have to see how billing with breakfast ends up, but I bet there won't be problems.

The exterior architecture is, of course, very interesting.

I would definitely return.

Old Feb 27, 2022, 8:41 am

Programs: MB Ambassador, WOH Globalist, HH Diamond (Aspire), AA Gold, UA (*G) Gold
One other downside - the TVs didn't have Internet connectivity. I hope these get updated in the near future.
Old Feb 27, 2022, 6:50 pm
In Memoriam, FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA EXP/MM, DL GM, UA Platinum, HH DIA, Hyatt Explorist, IHG Platinum, Marriott Titanium, Hertz PC
Originally Posted by ElevatorEnthusiast
One other downside - the TVs didn't have Internet connectivity. I hope these get updated in the near future.
In my experience it's pretty rare to find those at former Starwood properties. It's been annoying.
Old Feb 27, 2022, 6:53 pm

Originally Posted by CMK10
In my experience it's pretty rare to find those at former Starwood properties. It's been annoying.
Definitely annoying - I have been pleasantly surprised at some, though, including some that haven't been recently renovated, such as the St. Regis Houston.

I try to include this information in my trip reports, though, as it definitely improves my stays. I have honestly been leaning towards Marriott more right now due to Hyatt's broken YouTube casting with their Sonifi systems, which makes their TVs just as bad as the old-style TVs for my use case.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.