Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Westin Charlotte [Master Thread]

Search this Thread

Old Mar 23, 2011, 11:59 am

Stayed at the Westin from Sunday, March 20th to Tuesday, March 22nd. All in all favorable and dependable, but certainly no wow factor of any sort. I was upgraded to a corner king (2035) overlooking Uptown. Nice, somewhat cozy, but certainly comfortable. The furniture is definitely showing its age and is getting to be in dire need of refurbishment/replacement. Internet access worked very well.

Breakfast in Ember Grille was quite different day to day. Day one, the staff was very helpful, almost too chatty. However, service was efficient and the omelet was very good -- only grip was that $8 seems steep for a small bowl of blueberries. Day two, the staff was far less efficient (downright slow) and far less helpful. Waitress seemed on a mission to sell orange juice, all else be damned. Omelet was just okay, and they either forgot to add cheese or were in extreme cheese conservation mode.

No answer at all when I called the valet for my car at the end of the stay. Also, they were advertising room upgrades to suites for $75 per night the entire time I was there, which seemly begs the question why these are not being given to Platinum members as upgrades rather than sold to the masses.
Old Mar 31, 2011, 3:01 pm

After a few more stays...Yes the AC is louder at the Aloft... made it to Gold but still no upgrades... only once on the Preferred Guest floor... noticed the rooms on higher floors get more amenities... avoiding their food... pool is cleaner than it has been...rooms all really bland. Overall... this hotel needs better service, better food, a renovation, and better recognition for its frequent guests ("Welcome back" is nice but does not go a long way).
Old Sep 6, 2011, 3:20 pm

Programs: The Mac Daddy of Heimlich County (and low-ball status)
deluxe v traditional room. what's the diff? $10 more for deluxe with my rate.
Old Sep 16, 2011, 9:27 pm
Used to be bulldoggolfer05

Programs: HGP DMD, HHonors DMD, SPG PLT, MR PLT
Not be stood up by the W Austin:

http://www.wbtv.com/story/15479510/g...town-charlotte
Old Apr 3, 2012, 2:48 pm

Programs: UA lifetime gold, 1.8MM; Marriott lifetime Titanium
I stayed here last week and rate this as literally the worst property I have ever been in throughout the starwood group when it comes to cuatowmr service. I showed up at about midnight and am convinced the useless back office staff deleted my plat number from the booking in the oversell. After much argument I end up with a pull out couch in some threadbare parlor room. Next night I was given a corner 'upgrade', whatever that was.

Overall service totally terrible, no real apology for trying to shaft me, and I won't ever be back to this property. The RC or Aloft would be way better. Considering that this hotel is nearly connected to convention center The service is appalling.
Old Aug 12, 2012, 1:52 pm

Programs: US Gold • SPG Gold
Just curious about any recent stays here or upgrade successes.

I know the RC's getting more love lately but debating this Westin towards the end of the month. I'm SPG Gold but haven't stayed here.

Any and all reports appreciated!
Old Aug 30, 2012, 6:23 pm
Marriott Contributor Badge

Programs: AA EXP, UA LT Ag, Marriott LT Ti, Hyatt Glob, Avis PC, Busted-Knuckles Club Grand Poobah.
Dang, shoulda checked FT before I booked this place for next month. Is the Aloft worth the considerable price? I mean for an Aloft, it's expensive, and not worth it if it's the same spare rooms as a suburban lo-rise Aloft.
Old Aug 30, 2012, 7:26 pm

Programs: Bonvoy Titanium, SPG LTP
I just spent a night there last weekend. I was there several years ago as a gold and really enjoyed the property, but the recent reviews had me a bit nervous. We arrived late and self parked ($18). Front desk staff were extremely friendly and welcoming. Upgraded to a very high floor corner suite and offered 4pm checkout without having to ask. It was a short stay, but very nice. Only complaint was the knock from housekeeping at about 9am. Partly my fault for not putting out the DND sign, but I still wish hotels could communicate late checkout to housekeeping so this doesn't happen. Just a minor blip though. I still really like this property and would definitely return.
Old Sep 21, 2012, 11:11 am

Just checked out after a week long stay, and have almost nothing but positive things to say. The dates of my booking were messed up (my fault), but they worked with me every day to make sure I not only had a room in a completely booked hotel, but also that I got to keep my same room each night and didn't have to move my stuff. I normally stay at Marriotts, but the Westin was the only place I could get a room this week, and they definitely went a long way to swaying me to make the switch, at least when I'm back in Charlotte the next few weeks.

Only complaint is the showers. As I said, not normally a Westin guy so I haven't used these Heavenly Showers too often, but the shower essentially spills all over the bathroom floor. Maybe I was doing something wrong, but I found that to be strange.

Besides for that, a 9.9/10 for a work hotel. Nothing too fancy, but more than everything you need. A very nice gym too for those of us that wake up early to work out (but be careful for crowds!).
Old Sep 9, 2013, 9:32 am

Programs: DL Diamond, WN A-List, Marriott Platinum Elite, Hyatt Globalist
If you're interested in the full review with pictures etc, please check it out here: Weekend Blitz - The Westin Charlotte

The Westin Charlotte - Starwood Category 4
601 South College Street, Charlotte, North Carolina 28202
Award Redemption: 10,000 pts or 5,000 pts +$75
Normal rate: $235 avg, ranging from $135 - $311
Average Starpoints return: 3.2 cents/point – VERY GOOD

Room: A new hotel makes all the difference. Everything feels new and fresh in the room.

Hotel Lobby/Common Areas: Parking is expensive, with an above-average lobby bar on the ground level with large windows overlooking the street. Lots of expansive lobbies in the conference room section of hotel.

Gym: The "Westin Workout" aka the gym is above average as well, again likely attributed to the fact that the hotel is relatively new. Fully equipped locker room with showers, lockers and sauna.

Location: Location is really on the outskirts of "downtown" Charlotte, but it's a very short walk to all of the hotspots in the city. The hotel has its own stop on the LYNX light rail line and is right next to the convention center.

BOTTOM LINE: When staying in Charlotte this new(er) Westin is my choice out of all Starwood hotels.

"Deluxe King" room

View from the room on 25th floor overlooking all of downtown Charlotte

Large gym with plenty of light

Lobby bar

Rocking its very own light rail stop

If you're interested in the full review with pictures etc, please check it out here: Weekend Blitz - The Westin Charlotte
Old Oct 1, 2013, 2:15 am
Used to be bulldoggolfer05

Programs: HGP DMD, HHonors DMD, SPG PLT, MR PLT
Thanks for the review. Unfortunately, this rooms at this property ARE NOT new. In fact, I don't think it has had a major renovation since it was opened. They were due to have a complete renovation back in 2011, but from viewing your photos, it seems that this fell through. Personally, I find the property well kept but rather dated.
Old Nov 8, 2013, 8:23 am

Programs: AA EXP; Marriott Lifetime / Annual Titanium; Massively Missing Starwood
I have a reservation for tonight using C&P. I could have booked an executive suite for C&P when I called two hours ago, so the executive suites were available at that time, and they are still being sold online right now.

I have had pretty dismal luck at getting an upgrade beyond the Starwood floor at this hotel so I called. I asked how the upgrades work and, if as a plat, I would be upgraded to an executive suite upon checkin if one were available. The front desk agent looked and said 'unfortunately all of our suites are occupied for the night.' B.S.

I asked for the MOD and after 10 minutes on hold was finally put in to Kara's voicemail. I left a message asking her to call and help me understand how I could be offered a suite for C&P by the plat line as well as book one online (for a whopping $235.00) but the front desk folks see that everything is fully occupied.

I will post back here if I hear back from the hotel.
Old Nov 8, 2013, 8:43 am

Programs: DL Diamond, WN A-List, Marriott Platinum Elite, Hyatt Globalist
Originally Posted by dingo
I have a reservation for tonight using C&P. I could have booked an executive suite for C&P when I called two hours ago, so the executive suites were available at that time, and they are still being sold online right now.

I have had pretty dismal luck at getting an upgrade beyond the Starwood floor at this hotel so I called. I asked how the upgrades work and, if as a plat, I would be upgraded to an executive suite upon checkin if one were available. The front desk agent looked and said 'unfortunately all of our suites are occupied for the night.' B.S.

I asked for the MOD and after 10 minutes on hold was finally put in to Kara's voicemail. I left a message asking her to call and help me understand how I could be offered a suite for C&P by the plat line as well as book one online (for a whopping $235.00) but the front desk folks see that everything is fully occupied.

I will post back here if I hear back from the hotel.
I have also had pretty bad experience with upgrades as a plat here. Also, the one time I had an interaction with a manager it too was horrible.
Old Nov 8, 2013, 9:34 am

Programs: AA EXP; Marriott Lifetime / Annual Titanium; Massively Missing Starwood
Just got upgraded! From a 325 square foot room with two beds to a grand deluxe room with 320 square feet and one king bed! Oh, hold on...that's not really an upgrade is it? I'm told the room I've been put in will in fact accommodate a roll away for my kiddo.
Old Nov 8, 2013, 11:37 am

I have spoke with the front desk two times; both times they were indignant and rude. I've left a message for the front desk manager (Kara). I sent an email to their inhouse reservation email address. I left a message for the GM (Leo). I sent an email to customer care. I am personally so tired of hotels not honoring the terms of the program. I do my thing by staying the number of nights. Be it the regular upgrades or SNA's, the result too often is the same: room available, no upgrade honored.

I am now on the phone with Starwood Corporate Customer Care and the lady I got first told me that upgrades are at the DISCRETION of each hotel. I told her I begged to differ with that being the program terms and conditions, though in reality that is exactly how it works frequently. On hold for five minutes...do people honestly not know that upgrades are not supposed to be at the discretion of the hotel? I asked her to point me to the website saying that while I read it to her; that's when I got put on hold...still on hold.

Supervisor came on and said that in fact the first rep was wrong. So I asked my question again: under what circumstances would the plat line offer to sell me a room and would spg.com offer to sell me a room that, according to the hotel, is not available? She asked if I've had this problem with just this hotel or in general...she must be new!

Supe came back and said that I had been upgraded from traditional to grand deluxe so technically I had been upgraded. I said that it should be to the best available room at checkin, and that again the hotel seems to be ignoring that terms.

She actually called the hotel and spoke with the front desk manager who was unable to tell the CCC supe if an exec suite is considered a standard suite, and she pointed out that I haven't yet checked in.

On the latter, I know. The question I have is how the hotel can pre-ordain that what is currently available online and w/ Plat actually will not be available when I checkin.

On the former...wow!!!! So let me get this straight. First off, only one person in the hotel (the rooms manager) knows if the executive suite is a standard suite or not. Second, and more telling, is that the front desk manager has no idea what rooms are eligible for upgrade so how in the world could they know to upgrade someone to one of those rooms!?? Wow!

So a summary: upgrades are at the discretion of the hotel, oops, I mean let me check with my supervisor...no that was wrong; and I called the hotel on your behalf and spoke with the person who manages the people responsible for the upgrades and she doesn't know what rooms are eligible for upgrade and the only person in the big hotel who does is out of the office.

Amazing.

Last edited by dingo; Nov 8, 2013 at 12:06 pm

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.