Westin Charlotte [Master Thread]

Search this Thread

Old Jul 22, 2008, 11:43 am
Suspended

Programs: Delta - Gold; Starwood - Platinum; HHonors - Diamond & Avis Preferred
Question

Any recent updates and or trip reports?
Old Jul 22, 2008, 1:30 pm

Programs: Hilton Lifetime Diamond, Delta Gold, Starwood Lifetime Platinum, Marriott Platinum,
I was at the Charlotte Westin Sunday night and last night. I have to admit it was one of the most pleasant stays I have had in years.

Checked in on Sunday afternoon around 5 and the hotel was pretty quiet. I spoke to the FD manager while she checked me and found her to be quite pleasant. Total professional with a great sense of humor. We spoke for 5 minutes or so.

I was upgraded to a corner suite where 2 of the 4 walls were all glass making for a nice view of the skyline. I was in 2334/36. The manager also mentioned that internet was free for PLAT, fees were also waived for the fitness room. Parking is $17 however.

The room was very nice but not what i would consider a typical suite. The bedroom was the same as every other room I suppose and the living room had an additional TV, chair, small table, couch and bathroom. The view from the corner room was the highlight. Room was very clean. Bathroom had the double shower head. The toilet was at a weird angle in the room, against the wall that backed into the entry way of the room

About 10 minutes after making it the room, there was a knock at the door. Room services delivered a nice bottle of chardonnay and a wonderful chocolate mouse torte. There was also a nice note from the FD manager who had checked me in. She said it was a pleasure to speak with me and that if she could do anything to make my stay better to please contact her......etc,etc.

There was also a $100 Food and Beverage coupon enclosed. Yeah Team!!!

I ate dinner Sunday night in the Embers restaurant. I was not totally impressed. The food was decent but the service lousy despite only 4 tables at 8PM on a Sunday night. The waitress must have spent 45 of the 60 minutes I was in the restaurant flirting with a guy at another table across the room. Someone else brought everything that I ordered but she was there for the check and I guess the tip also.

Breakfast the next morning was a quick stop at the counter service. Croissants and coffee and a diet pepsi were all much needed on a early morning dash.

I had drinks in the lobby bar Monday afternoon and again the service was subpar. After sitting on a couch for over 5 minutes watching the waitress chat up another guest, I finally went over to the bar and ordered it myself. For the second round, she was not around so again I went to bar. Of course she was there for the check and tip. I left 50 cents on a $17.50 bar tab.

Check out was quick and again professional. The clerk took my coupon and applied it to my bill saving almost $90. I was thanked for my stay and told to come back soon. The manager on duty shook my hand and said they appreciated my business and loyalty to SPG.

Pros: Great room, wonderful views, fast internet service, wonderful management and front desk staff, housekeeping and room services are tops.

Cons: $17 for parking is steep in the South, poor service in bar and restaurant.
Old Jul 23, 2008, 6:26 pm

Programs: AA EXP; Marriott Lifetime / Annual Titanium; Massively Missing Starwood
The above experience is NOT typical of this hotel in any respect, save for the parking fees.

It is not a bad hotel but as a Plat I have stayed there around 15 times and been upgraded on two of them...maybe more than 15 actually. I've never got free Internet and typically have had to ask for my amenity.

Sounds like a hell of a stay though...congrats.
Old Jul 23, 2008, 7:57 pm

Having stayed there as recently as yesterday, and with relative frequency over the past two years, I would side much more with Dingo. The facility is quite nice, although it is starting to be in need of its first renovation. They always recognize my Platinum status, but typically upgrade only one level, not to the best available room. FWIT, I have never had anything better than a regular tv, although I have never been upgraded to a suite, nor have I ever had them comp anything, internet included. Embers (the upscale restaurant) has never caught on and is almost always dead for dinner, although busier for breakfast. Still, it is always better to be in Charlotte than NYC, so I'll rate it a 6.
Old Sep 26, 2008, 2:41 pm
PHL
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA PLT, DL SLV, UA SLV, MR LTT, HH DIA
I have stayed at the Westin Charlotte each week for the past month, all times as a Gold. Here are my impressions/experiences -

1.) I always got the same room type, which is the traditional. Heavenly bed, 27" TV, etc. Usually a city view. This was fine with me. Looking at the floor plan on the door each time was the same, so it appears there are really just 2 suite upgrades per floor, if that. I would suspect those are often used by paying guests or meeting planners.

2.) In my first few weeks, the Service Express response was horrendous. I would press the button and the phone would ring for what seemed like a minute or two before getting a message to either call back or leave a voice mail. Pressing zero does the same thing, so if there was a true emergency I don't know how that could be handled. This happened in the morning, dinner hour and 3am. It seemed to get better in my last stay, however.

3.) The fitness center is AWESOME. Period.

4.) The room service is AT LEAST 30 minutes. They will quote 30 minutes or less, but it's always more. Even for a cold dish like cereal and yogurt.

5.) The staff is very friendly and accommodating.

6.) Embers restaurant was always empty at any hour I happened to walk by between 5pm and midnight. The menu is good, based on what I've had for room service, but there are just never any people dining in there.

7.) No lounge, which is a bit of a disappointment.

8.) Internet service (wifi or hard wired) is spotty. One week it was not really functioning at all. Checking speeds with www.speedtest.net showed under 10kbs. Yes, that's lower than 14.4K modem speeds we had back in 1995. They had a problem that week with their ISP, I was told. In subsequent weeks it's been anywhere from 100 Kbps to about 600 kbps. This is far, far, far less than most people's home high speed/broadband connections and so bad that I use my Verizon EVDO card and get better results. I tried watching a show on www.hulu.com and it kept stopping to buffer. I couldn't reliably work on my company VPN due to some dropouts when uploading/downloading email attachments. Switching to my EVDO card fixed the issues. Luckily my negotiated rate includes internet access....But I did raise the issue with the front desk.

I achieved platinum prior to my last stay, but the hotel did not have my reservation reflecting this. I didn't learn this on check in, though. I found out when I called room service and the operator said "I see that you are a Starwood Gold member so we will try to rush your order for you". I told her I was just made Platinum and she said their "systems" still showed me as Gold, including all my upcoming reservations. I had to work with SPG and the front desk manager to resolve that.

On my return this week, while the front desk did have my Platinum status noted, I was still given a 'traditional room', which is the basic room type. I had checked just prior to arriving what kind of rooms were bookable for my stay and found that there were corner rooms available (noted as "superior" and sometimes "deluxe" rooms). So when the agent said she had a Traditional Room for me, I politely asked if she had any corner rooms. She looked and found them. I asked "is it an 02 or 36 room?" and she said it was an 02. She was very friendly and gave no issues moving me up. Note that the corner rooms with the nice city view are 01 and 35. The 02 and 36 rooms face the other side of the hotel. Not all 01-02 and 35-36 can be joined to be suites, so most of them are slightly larger than standard (i.e. Traditional) rooms, and the 02 rooms have the larger bathroom with dual shower/bathtub. I'm still not sure why I wasn't bumped up to this slightly better than standard room without asking when they were available in the first place though.....

Overall I'm pleased with the property. The location is on the fringe of uptown, and I work at 9th and Tryon which is a good 15 minute walk. Not bad for the nice weather, though. But for those of you there on Bank of America business, there is a free sedan/SUV service in the mornings to take you to any of BofA's offices in town. Just ask the bellhop out front. They run every 15 minutes. The Lynx Blue line (light rail) also picks up right in the back of the hotel and will take you to downtown stops like 3rd st, convention center and 7th street for $1.30.

Last edited by PHL; Sep 30, 2008 at 6:19 am
Old Sep 26, 2008, 3:09 pm
Suspended

Programs: Delta - Gold; Starwood - Platinum; HHonors - Diamond & Avis Preferred
Any pics?
Old Sep 26, 2008, 4:09 pm
PHL
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by Cheap Elite
Any pics?
The pics on the spg.com website are pretty accurate and up to date.
Old Jan 28, 2009, 11:28 am
PHL
FlyerTalk Evangelist

An update about this property - all the rooms have been upgraded to 42" LCD TVs! Unfortunately, the channels have not been (yet). Still analog signals stretched to fit the screen. Some fuzzier than others. I don't know why hotels go through the huge expense upgrading TVs without doing it right and upgrading at least SOME of the channels to true HD (like the local networks maybe?). I realize there can be some engineering work there, but often the existing coaxial cabling is sufficient as long as they upgrade the point of distribution.

The internet is still somewhat slow at times. I did ask the front desk about that one night and they said it's been an ongoing problem and they are in the process of upgrading the bandwidth (but she didn't have a timeframe for when this would happen).

All in all, however, I still think this is one of Charlotte's nicest properties in downtown/uptown. I would rank the Hilton and Omni as equals or close seconds.
Old Mar 2, 2009, 11:20 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by PHL
signals stretched to fit the screen.
This is my headache-inducing pet peeve...why isn't there a brand standard not to screw up the image? I can't imagine any movie/TV industry people being less than horrified at seeing their work distorted this way...
Old Aug 26, 2009, 2:32 pm

Programs: SPG Lifetime Platinum, Hyatt Diamond, JetBlue Mosaic, AA Platinum, National Executive Elite
Originally Posted by hillrider
This is my headache-inducing pet peeve...why isn't there a brand standard not to screw up the image? I can't imagine any movie/TV industry people being less than horrified at seeing their work distorted this way...
I agree with you 100%. Why upgrade to HD tvs when you aren't willing to upgrade the delivery system? Seven months after the HD install, there are still no HD channels (or HD on-demand movies).

I don't know why we're that surprised though, as many previous posters verify that this hotel is also unwilling to address its internet issues. My extremely show internet connection here is 0.21 meg/sec right now. Ugh.
Old Aug 26, 2009, 6:11 pm

Programs: AA EXP; Marriott Lifetime / Annual Titanium; Massively Missing Starwood
Why did this thread get dredged up? To talk about TV pictures!?
Old Oct 24, 2009, 4:38 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Wouldn't you like to know?!
This is one of the WORST Westins, ever. Horrible staff and crowd.

I'm contemplating on going to stay at the Hyatt Place I booked last time for a MR.

That's how bad it is. Even Hyatt Place is better than this **** hole.
Old Oct 24, 2009, 5:06 pm
Used to be bulldoggolfer05

Programs: HGP DMD, HHonors DMD, SPG PLT, MR PLT
Originally Posted by BlissWorld

I'm contemplating on going to stay at the Hyatt Place I booked last time for a MR.

I rather enjoy this property albeit it does have a few shortcomings. I've yet to not be upgraded to a high floor corner suite at this property, although I do wish their suites had city views as opposed to the rather blah view of 277 and the NASCAR building (in fairness though, the view from the suites on the other end of the hall have nice views of BOA Stadium and partial views of Uptown).

I had a few problems with a surly Service Request agent and housekeeping (very dirty grout/hair buildups in bathroom and not delivering requested items appropriately) the first couple of times I've stayed there, but they quickly corrected these on recent visits.

Henry, Heather, and Julia (who went particularly out of the way on one stay when I accidentally left my ID at my parents house North of town) at the front desk are great ^ and always take the time to welcome me back to the hotel. Certainly better than the rather surly and poorly dressed management at the aLoft a couple of blocks away.

While I'll agree that this is not the creme de la creme of Westin, it is a perfectly acceptable one in my opinion, and certainly one of the best offerings Uptown Charlotte has to offer at the moment.
Old Oct 26, 2009, 12:16 pm

Location: (not Montana. Nor is my name really Helena, nor am I female)
Programs: Delta, USAirways, Starwood, Priority Club, Marriott, Amex
Originally Posted by bulldoggolfer05
I rather enjoy this property albeit it does have a few shortcomings. I've yet to not be upgraded to a high floor corner suite at this property, although I do wish their suites had city views as opposed to the rather blah view of 277 and the NASCAR building (in fairness though, the view from the suites on the other end of the hall have nice views of BOA Stadium and partial views of Uptown).

I like the city view so much I've started trading my suite upgrades for non-suite rooms with the city view. Ideally a corner room on a higher floor.

Anyone know for certain if there are any suites on the city side of the building?
Old Oct 26, 2009, 12:33 pm
Marriott Contributor Badge

Programs: AA EXP 2MM; Marriott Titanium; Hilton Diamond; Hyatt Explorist; Vistana 5* Elite; Nat'l Exec Elite
Originally Posted by BlissWorld

I stayed here in August, arriving around 8:30 p.m.. Tired, I was hoping I would at least get a decent room. Much to my surprise, the front desk agent says I've been upgraded to the Presidential Suite overlooking the stadium. It was a fantastic suite with the best bathroom I've ever seen in a hotel. The shower would put anything on HGTV to shame. Not a bad upgrade especially considering this was my first stay at the property.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.