Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Hotels and Places to Stay > Marriott | Marriott Bonvoy
Reload this Page >

The Prince Gallery Tokyo Kioicho, Japan, LC [Master Thread]

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Feb 18, 2019, 10:57 am
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: bhrubin
As of February 2019 this hotel no longer offers club lounge access to Marriott Platinum and higher guests, even if upgraded to a room category which would otherwise offer lounge access, so lounge access mentioned in older reviews would no longer apply.

The hotel also no longer participates in Suite Night Awards.

Breakfast offering for Platinum and higher is in restaurant, buffet plus made to order eggs.

Expert Review from May 2018 posted to the Luxury Hotels Forum: “Stunning hard product with great concierge and service”
https://www.flyertalk.com/hotel-revi...d-service-2620
Print Wikipost

The Prince Gallery Tokyo Kioicho, Japan, LC [Master Thread]

Search this Thread

Old Nov 1, 2022, 9:18 am

Programs: Marriott Lifetime Titanium, UA Silver, Hertz 5*
I have a trip to Tokyo booked for 8 nights next year with the first 7 booked at the Park Hyatt in a confirmed Suite Upgrade. I dont want to burn a second (and last remaining) Suite Award for just one additional night at the Park Hyatt. I am looking for options for the last night and noticed that my corporate rate at this hotel is JPY 34,000 + tax. However we are a family of 3 with a 13 year old. All the rooms that are covered under this rate say Max Occupancy of 2.

Any suggestions on how to approach this? I'm LT Titanium and wife is LT Platinum, if that matters.
Old Nov 1, 2022, 3:56 pm

Programs: Ex-Bonvoyed, Hyatt, Hilton, BR, AC, AA
Originally Posted by crazyhorse
I have a trip to Tokyo booked for 8 nights next year with the first 7 booked at the Park Hyatt in a confirmed Suite Upgrade. I dont want to burn a second (and last remaining) Suite Award for just one additional night at the Park Hyatt. I am looking for options for the last night and noticed that my corporate rate at this hotel is JPY 34,000 + tax. However we are a family of 3 with a 13 year old. All the rooms that are covered under this rate say Max Occupancy of 2.

Any suggestions on how to approach this? I'm LT Titanium and wife is LT Platinum, if that matters.
You could spend some points to get a confirmed suite upgrade for the last night, or e-mail the hotel to ask about an extra guest in room. They'll probably just charge you a bit more for the extra guest, and you'll only waste a little time if they say no.
Old Nov 1, 2022, 9:00 pm

Programs: Marriott Bonvoy: Titanium, IHG: Diamond Ambassador, Accor ALL: Gold
Originally Posted by crazyhorse

Pre-covid in 2018, PG allows extra bed ONLY in the Deluxe Premier Twin room category (46sqm) and the extra bed charge was JPY11,880 net/night. I booked the lead-in room category twin-room and e-mailed them about the additional guest. I was SPG Plat then and they agreed to upgrade the room and charge me extra for the extra bed. Best to e-mail them and see if they accommodate similar arrangement. The extra bed charge could be higher now.
Old Nov 4, 2022, 6:03 am

Programs: AC 25K, AS MVP Gold, BA Bronze, UA Silver, Marriott Titanium, Hilton Diamond, Hyatt Globalist
Just checked in for 3 nights. The hotel is basically full, can only book twin room type for these days now, so I was pretty sure this would be my first time in the standard room.

Got to check in and found I was upgraded to Kioi suite.
3rdworldresident likes this.
Old Nov 4, 2022, 8:50 am

Originally Posted by Kacee
It's a nice little lounge, but nothing really special. As usual with lounges, I think the big attraction is the free liquor (not a consideration for me). It would lose all appeal if filled to overflowing with elites, so I totally understand them shutting off the free access.
I stayed here 3? years ago and was grandfathered into the lounge, as I'd made the reservation before the lounge was restricted for plats+. I enjoyed it for a quick bite and sake before headed out to dinner. And breakfast was fine for lite bite before heading out, but I'm not a huge breakfast eater.

Does anyone know if they offer a "buy up" to lounge access on a points booking (even if not in a club level room) these days like some ritz carltons do?
Old Nov 4, 2022, 8:51 pm

Programs: AC 25K, AS MVP Gold, BA Bronze, UA Silver, Marriott Titanium, Hilton Diamond, Hyatt Globalist
Originally Posted by rhg247
I stayed here 3? years ago and was grandfathered into the lounge, as I'd made the reservation before the lounge was restricted for plats+. I enjoyed it for a quick bite and sake before headed out to dinner. And breakfast was fine for lite bite before heading out, but I'm not a huge breakfast eater.

Does anyone know if they offer a "buy up" to lounge access on a points booking (even if not in a club level room) these days like some ritz carltons do?
They do but the cost is quite a lot given the offering. When I visited in Oct I asked about the buy-up cost to the designer suite and they had two quotes, one for just room and one for room + club access, and the latter was 15k or 20k a night more.
Old Nov 22, 2022, 12:41 am

Just checked in for 3 nights before returning home. STARS rate. This is my first time in many years of stays that I am not in a grand deluxe or suite at this property. I don't know what I've done to deserve such heinous treatment, being denied the upgrade I deserve for booking the absolute cheapest rate possible.

In all seriousness, the hotel is super full and while I did get an upgrade a couple weeks back when they were also pretty full, they might really be at capacity right now as they weren't even sure on being able to do late checkout until I pressed them on it being a guaranteed benefit. Maybe a lot of US tourists due to thanksgiving holiday week.

I had changed the booking from superior to deluxe to improve upgrade chances but their system appears to have messed up and I was still listed as being in superior king. So they "upgraded" me to a deluxe king, but it's a club deluxe king so it would still be a legit upgrade since I get club access that they normally don't give even when you are upgraded to a grand deluxe or suite room. Not sure if the room type snafu ended up putting me behind someone else for upgrade priority, or if it would have turned out this way regardless.

Anyway, it's still a very nice room. I'm kind of glad to actually get to see it in person since the color scheme is different than the rooms I've always stayed in here and I've only seen it in photos. Good room, worth the price I'm paying for sure. The hallway + bathroom design makes it feel more compact than the rooms at Conrad Tokyo but I'm not sure how much of that is perception vs actual space; I'll need to check the floor plans later.

Won't talk about the lounge. I think my last post in this thread is telling someone the lounge isn't worth the money so it's cool to get it when they couldn't give me a better room, but since I don't drink I value it at the cost of however many soft drinks I take from it priced against the famima downstairs. They do have Perrier in 330ml glass bottles though which is superb.
Old Nov 22, 2022, 7:10 pm

Programs: BA Gold, CX DM, HHonors DM, Hyatt Globalist, Bonvoy Titanium
Thanks for the update nexusCFX - will be visiting the Property for the first time in Mid Dec having been to the Conrad Tokyo numerous times.

I am offered a JPY15K supplement per night to upgrade my deluxe room to include club access - the hotel mentioned they are running at full capacity and also offered the following room rates:

Grande Deluxe Corner @93K JPY (taxes and surcharge included)
Kioi Suite @125K JPY (taxes and surcharge included)

Having locked in my rates for a standard room between 36K-50K JPY I'm not sure I will be will to pay 2-3x for the room types mentioned above. Also interesting to note they offered the above despite the website/Bonvoy app not showing any suites /corner rooms available

Concierge incredibly helpful but it was a pain to find out the emails for concierge and the reservations team there.
Old Nov 24, 2022, 9:24 pm

Programs: Starwood Gold, Hyatt Platinum
Originally Posted by coljung
How is breakfast like?

i thought it was a buffet, but heard its not. Wondering how it is. I’ve stayed at the Prince Sakura a couple of times and while rooms were ok, I found their breakfast buffet lovely. Had a stay at the RC where the breakfast buffet was incredible as well (paid of course).

Anyways wondering what you guys think about breakfast.
Just finished a one night stay on an FHR rate. As others have said, no longer a buffet, but now a set meal - either Japanese of “American” (I saw baked beans, a tomato, and the bacon wasn’t crispy, so it looked more British to me.) The place was very full - no upgrades and no early check-in (FHR benefit). Couldn’t get into any of the restaurants for lunch as everything was full.

American breakfast set meal menu.

American breakfast

Japanese breakfast menu.
Old Nov 26, 2022, 9:21 am

Programs: MR AMB/LT, AA EP, TK EP, DL D, B6 M4, F9 100K, IHG AMB/D, HH D, CZR D, FndCd, Sixt D, NTL E, Hz PC
I stayed there at the end of October for a week. First night was in a regular room; they asked at check-in if I would be willing to change rooms the following night because they wanted to upgrade me. I actually really liked both the base room and the corner suite -- the electronic shutter glass between the shower/bath and bedroom in the regular room was fun to play with, and the bigger room was obviously nice too. No lounge access, and honestly the breakfast was very pretty much not very appetizing (both the "western" and "Japanese" were...very Japanese, but not in the way I'd want.). However, lots of great food options downstairs in the attached mall, and obviously Tokyo has no shortage of excellent food, either. I got a corporate rate booking made before Japan had fully re-opened; prices were 3-4x higher when I stayed.

Staff were (as expected, but always nice) perfect; polite, fluent in English, very helpful, etc.

This would be my favorite hotel in Tokyo with different F&B; as it is, still probably my favorite if the price is <$500/night.

(I also really like the Prince Sakura, etc. near Shinagawa -- really excellent Ambassador recognition, great breakfast, and amazing room, at a wonderful rate; not my favorite location but pretty good.)
Old Dec 4, 2022, 7:33 pm

Programs: Aeroplan
Originally Posted by rdlmitedu
I stayed there at the end of October for a week. First night was in a regular room; they asked at check-in if I would be willing to change rooms the following night because they wanted to upgrade me. I actually really liked both the base room and the corner suite -- the electronic shutter glass between the shower/bath and bedroom in the regular room was fun to play with, and the bigger room was obviously nice too. No lounge access, and honestly the breakfast was very pretty much not very appetizing (both the "western" and "Japanese" were...very Japanese, but not in the way I'd want.). However, lots of great food options downstairs in the attached mall, and obviously Tokyo has no shortage of excellent food, either. I got a corporate rate booking made before Japan had fully re-opened; prices were 3-4x higher when I stayed.

Staff were (as expected, but always nice) perfect; polite, fluent in English, very helpful, etc.

This would be my favorite hotel in Tokyo with different F&B; as it is, still probably my favorite if the price is <$500/night.

(I also really like the Prince Sakura, etc. near Shinagawa -- really excellent Ambassador recognition, great breakfast, and amazing room, at a wonderful rate; not my favorite location but pretty good.)
How does it compare to the Prince Sakura?

I've been to Tokyo twice and have stayed there both times. While rooms I find just ok, I love their breakfast. Seeing pictures of the Prince Gallery breakfast offering make me think twice about an upcoming reservation I have for March. 5 nights booked there, but im still wondering if I should keep it or just switch.

I'm also looking at the Andaz Hyatt as a secondary option.

Any thoughts?
Old Dec 4, 2022, 10:17 pm

How does it compare to the Prince Sakura?

I've been to Tokyo twice and have stayed there both times. While rooms I find just ok, I love their breakfast. Seeing pictures of the Prince Gallery breakfast offering make me think twice about an upcoming reservation I have for March. 5 nights booked there, but im still wondering if I should keep it or just switch.

I'm also looking at the Andaz Hyatt as a secondary option.

Any thoughts?
PS is a 4 star. The hard product and service are in a different league here. I stayed at PS once over golden week in 2019 and regretted using my 7nt cert there. People in the PS thread reporting that the lounge has really gone downhill too. Breakfast may not be what you remember anymore.
Old Dec 5, 2022, 3:46 pm

Programs: Aeroplan
Originally Posted by nexusCFX
PS is a 4 star. The hard product and service are in a different league here. I stayed at PS once over golden week in 2019 and regretted using my 7nt cert there. People in the PS thread reporting that the lounge has really gone downhill too. Breakfast may not be what you remember anymore.
Oh definitely a league apart. I did mention rooms at the PS were just ok. I did enjoy the breakfast the last 2 times i went in 2019 and 2020. Then I saw a picture of the breakfast recently at the Prince Gallery and it looks way to underwhelming. If i have to choose between an ok room and decent breakfast vs a great room but poor breakfast i'd go with option #1.

To be honest I got a few responses on Reddit praising the Hyatt Andaz and i might just switch to that one instead. For now I have both booked (Andaz and Prince Gallery), will decide soon which one to keep. For the PS it wouldnt work as they dont seem to have any award nights available for the day that i'll be there.
Old Dec 5, 2022, 11:02 pm

Programs: AA ExPlat, Marriott Titanium, HH Diamond
Oh definitely a league apart. I did mention rooms at the PS were just ok. I did enjoy the breakfast the last 2 times i went in 2019 and 2020. Then I saw a picture of the breakfast recently at the Prince Gallery and it looks way to underwhelming. If i have to choose between an ok room and decent breakfast vs a great room but poor breakfast i'd go with option #1.

To be honest I got a few responses on Reddit praising the Hyatt Andaz and i might just switch to that one instead. For now I have both booked (Andaz and Prince Gallery), will decide soon which one to keep. For the PS it wouldnt work as they dont seem to have any award nights available for the day that i'll be there.
Had a chance to stay at the PG for the first time early October and share your sentiment. Absolutely fell in love with the property apart from the breakfast, but that's not a big deal for me.

Do you think the PS might be would be worth considering over the PG if I'm traveling specifically in late March for Sakura viewing? PS rates are about $100 a night lower too.
Old Dec 6, 2022, 9:59 am

Programs: MR AMB/LT, AA EP, TK EP, DL D, B6 M4, F9 100K, IHG AMB/D, HH D, CZR D, FndCd, Sixt D, NTL E, Hz PC
PS lounge was nothing special, but PS breakfast was IMO better than at PG. PS is a more convenient location (near Shinagawa, and thus trains, but also lots of metro, and HND), but less peaceful. I got upgraded to a pretty amazing suite at PS, and you get run of all the nearby properties as Ambassador (which are probably 4.5 star), although I didn't take advantage of this.

I would probably pay +30-50% for PG > PS, but not +100%.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.