Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Hotels and Places to Stay > Marriott | Marriott Bonvoy
Reload this Page >

The Prince Gallery Tokyo Kioicho, Japan, LC [Master Thread]

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Feb 18, 2019, 10:57 am
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: bhrubin
As of February 2019 this hotel no longer offers club lounge access to Marriott Platinum and higher guests, even if upgraded to a room category which would otherwise offer lounge access, so lounge access mentioned in older reviews would no longer apply.

The hotel also no longer participates in Suite Night Awards.

Breakfast offering for Platinum and higher is in restaurant, buffet plus made to order eggs.

Expert Review from May 2018 posted to the Luxury Hotels Forum: “Stunning hard product with great concierge and service”
https://www.flyertalk.com/hotel-revi...d-service-2620
Print Wikipost

The Prince Gallery Tokyo Kioicho, Japan, LC [Master Thread]

Search this Thread

Old Feb 22, 2019, 9:45 am

Programs: Bonvoy :Ambassador , ALL :Diamond, Skywards :Silver, Krisflyer :Silver
Originally Posted by mgeldere
The hotel confirmed to me by email that Marriott forced them to remove lounge access for Platinums as it wasn't compliant with Bonvoy program rules..... if true that's a disgrace. Why can't hotels offer more than the minimum?
brand standard and competition.
free lounge access on luxcols hotels can and will poach guests from ritz carltons

Old Feb 22, 2019, 9:54 am
Marriott 5+ Badge

Programs: Delta Diamond, Bonvoy something good; sometimes other things too
Originally Posted by mgeldere
The hotel confirmed to me by email that Marriott forced them to remove lounge access for Platinums as it wasn't compliant with Bonvoy program rules..... if true that's a disgrace. Why can't hotels offer more than the minimum?
I would bet this is just a line the hotel is using as an excuse. Marriott has very clearly shown an inability or indifference to enforcing program rules in favor of customers, but I would bet there's an equal inability or indifference to "enforcing rules" against the customer. (Scare quotes because there is no rule that properties can't go above and beyond the minimum laid out in the T&Cs, so the PG's line is also just generally suspect.)

If we start to see some of the other Luxury Collection properties cut lounge access, then I might find this line more believable, but until then, the hotel is just trying to pass the blame. Though, cleverly, they're trying to pass the blame to an entity that is due blame for a lot of other things right now, so it's not a half-bad strategy.
karenkay and Kacee like this.
Old Feb 22, 2019, 11:03 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: ua mm, aa plat, starriott LTPP, ihg plat, hh gold.
I think bgriff is correct. The hotel told me via email that they no longer participate in SNA “due to system problem“. I don’t believe that, nor do I believe that was an error in translation. I think for whatever reason the hotel doesn’t want to participate anymore...ditto with lounge access, for whatever reason.
C17PSGR likes this.
Old Feb 22, 2019, 11:07 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: A3*Gold, SPG Plat, HyattDiamond, MarriottPP, LHW exAccess, ICI, Raffles Amb, NW PE MM, TWA Gold MM
Can we assume that the PG and RC in Tokyo have different owners?
Old Feb 22, 2019, 11:08 am

Programs: A3*Gold, SPG Plat, HyattDiamond, MarriottPP, LHW exAccess, ICI, Raffles Amb, NW PE MM, TWA Gold MM
Originally Posted by Aventine
During my last stay, they definitely charged me for overages eg. side of sausage. Andaz 5th is a YMMV kind of hotel. My latest Starriott StR stay in Astana was like your experience at 5th Avenue. They let me order as much as I wanted in the restaurant. Both buffet and a la carte options and as many beverages (no alcohol) as we wanted!

It's like Prince Gallery Kioicho suddenly realized they had carte blanche to nickel and dime their own elites and suffer very few, if any, consequences. This hotel should be debranded and should just become Seibu Prince blah blah. I actually liked this as the only pure luxury SPG choice and I'm saddened it's been Bonvoyed.
It's not unusual that a hotel like the Andaz 5th would be more generous to a very frequent guest at the property.
Old Feb 22, 2019, 12:26 pm
Marriott 5+ BadgeHyatt Contributor Badge

Programs: UA 1K, AA EXP; Marriott Amb; Hyatt Globalist; Shangri-la Diamond; IHG SpireAmb; Hilton D; Accor G
Originally Posted by Kacee
While I agree that Hyatt's breakfast benefit is usually better, that's otherwise not correct. Andaz 5 imposes a cap on Globalist breakfast. IIRC correctly it was $75 per room last time I was there, and they charged us for going over. If they didn't charge you, that was an unusual exception.
In over 30-40 nights at the Andaz 5th last year, I never once was told there was a limit or charged for overage. Granted, it's been a few months since my last stay so things could have changed. $75 would be a huge downgrade from the usual unlimited amount — I don't think I've ever spent less than that for 2 people. (The a-la carte prices ain't cheap!)
Old Feb 22, 2019, 1:07 pm

Programs: AS 75K; UA 1MM; Hyatt Globalist; Marriott LTP; Hilton Diamond (Aspire)
Originally Posted by helvetic
In over 30-40 nights at the Andaz 5th last year, I never once was told there was a limit or charged for overage. Granted, it's been a few months since my last stay so things could have changed. $75 would be a huge downgrade from the usual unlimited amount — I don't think I've ever spent less than that for 2 people. (The a-la carte prices ain't cheap!)
They've capped the breakfast benefit for many years. It has varied over time. For example:
Originally Posted by speedytimmy
The breakfast benefit has been $75 for all items pre tax and service charge for the last few years. The benefit now is supposedly an entree, drink and coffee for all registered guests. We stayed as two adults and two children so the total cost could have been well over $75 but we tried to keep it at or below $75.
And:

Originally Posted by JAeX
Just checked in and got said card, attached below:

Andaz 5th Globalist breakfast benefit card
​​​​​​​
Old Feb 22, 2019, 3:48 pm

PG is owned by Seibu Prince Hotels. RC Tokyo is owned by Mitsui group.

Originally Posted by MSPeconomist
Can we assume that the PG and RC in Tokyo have different owners?
Old Feb 22, 2019, 5:44 pm
Moderator, El Al and Marriott Bonvoy, FlyerTalk Evangelist
Hyatt Contributor BadgeMarriott Contributor Badge

Programs: SQ*G, Mar LTT, Hyatt Glb, AA LTG, LY, HH, IC, BA, DL, UA SLV
Let’s not forget that the PG is in Japan. So if there was a meeting with GMs and a slide were shown with which brands include and don’t include lounge access, a Japanese GM may go back to his property and tell the team that they need to align to the brand standard. The staff explain to the guests that this is the Marriott way.

In another culture the GMs may take that slide as a standard but not as a hard rule.
karenkay and kaizen7 like this.
Old Feb 22, 2019, 7:53 pm

Programs: CX Gold, Marriott Bonvoy Plat
Originally Posted by Dave510
The St.Regis Osaka also had a surcharge for the Japanese breakfast specifically, and I think it's trivially more expensive too.
But I remembered the surcharge at StR Osaka applies to all guests. And I guess the new surcharge at PG applies to Bonvoy Plat or above only who choose breakfast over points? That's a major difference with the latter targeting specifically at elites, no matter how "reasonable" the surcharge is.

Well the hotel now claims that they are requested by Marriott to remove lounge access. My question to them is whether Marriott also requests them to charge for an omelette?
MasterGeek and Aventine like this.
Old Feb 24, 2019, 9:39 pm

Originally Posted by myperks

email the hotel and say you booked under the assumption that you will get lounge access. Since that policy has changed since you booked, ask to cancel without charge and book somewhere else or they will say they will make an exception and give you access. You never know. But at the very least they should let you cancel without charge.
Did just that, they were oh so generous enough to extend it for my stay.
Old Feb 26, 2019, 12:06 am

Programs: Ex-Bonvoyed, Hyatt, Hilton, BR, AC, AA

1 hour launch party... To celebrate cutting lounge and breakfast benefits.
karenkay and Kacee like this.
Old Feb 26, 2019, 12:30 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Four Seasons Contributor BadgeHyatt Contributor Badge

To celebrate being Bonvoyed. Using canapes and drinks from a lounge most won't ever visit again.
Old Feb 26, 2019, 8:02 am

Originally Posted by Aventine
To celebrate being Bonvoyed. Using canapes and drinks from a lounge most won't ever visit again.
I guess the hotel is celebrating the cutting of benefits. Maybe they're also celebrating the fact that they'll never see us again.
Old Feb 26, 2019, 10:11 am
Suspended

Programs: Anything with sweet spots

How was your stay there ? Did they look down upon you with contempt as uf Marriott Elites are some kind of parasite leeches ?
joakgarp likes this.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.