Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Hotels and Places to Stay > Marriott | Marriott Bonvoy
Reload this Page >

The Prince Gallery Tokyo Kioicho, Japan, LC [Master Thread]

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Feb 18, 2019, 10:57 am
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: bhrubin
As of February 2019 this hotel no longer offers club lounge access to Marriott Platinum and higher guests, even if upgraded to a room category which would otherwise offer lounge access, so lounge access mentioned in older reviews would no longer apply.

The hotel also no longer participates in Suite Night Awards.

Breakfast offering for Platinum and higher is in restaurant, buffet plus made to order eggs.

Expert Review from May 2018 posted to the Luxury Hotels Forum: “Stunning hard product with great concierge and service”
https://www.flyertalk.com/hotel-revi...d-service-2620
Print Wikipost

The Prince Gallery Tokyo Kioicho, Japan, LC [Master Thread]

Search this Thread

Old Feb 21, 2019, 8:37 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: AS 75K; UA 1MM; Hyatt Globalist; Marriott LTP; Hilton Diamond (Aspire)
Originally Posted by helvetic
Paying a $90 upcharge per person for upgrading the breakfast is absolutely insane. The price is totally out of the realm of reality.
It's 1k JPY. So $9 US.

It's still moderately offensive they upcharge for a la carte items. Most top tier Asia properties give full access to the breakfast menu. Combining that with denial of lounge access (even if they have a good reason for that) just comes across as cheap and anti-elite.
Old Feb 21, 2019, 8:39 am

Programs: Ex-Bonvoyed, Hyatt, Hilton, BR, AC, AA
Originally Posted by Kacee
It's 1k JPY. So $9 US.

It's still moderately offensive they upcharge for a la carte items. Most top tier Asia properties give full access to the breakfast menu. Combining that with denial of lounge access (even if they have a good reason for that) just comes across as cheap and anti-elite.
The St.Regis Osaka also had a surcharge for the Japanese breakfast specifically, and I think it's trivially more expensive too.
Old Feb 21, 2019, 8:39 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Four Seasons Contributor BadgeHyatt Contributor Badge

It's 1k JPY. So $9 US.

Definitely. This hotel has been Bonvoyed beyond belief. The Seibu Prince parallel Japanese memberships or promos must be enough that they don't need Marriott elites anymore.

Originally Posted by Dave510
The St.Regis Osaka also had a surcharge for the Japanese breakfast specifically, and I think it's trivially more expensive too.
I've never understood this because it isn't even much different than the buffet's Japanese menu assortment.
Old Feb 21, 2019, 8:44 am
Marriott 5+ BadgeHyatt Contributor Badge

Programs: UA 1K, AA EXP; Marriott Amb; Hyatt Globalist; Shangri-la Diamond; IHG SpireAmb; Hilton D; Accor G
At $9 I find it reasonable. Of course, as an elite "travel hacker" I love free stuff… but $9 for a step up to a Japanese breakfast (which is an experience) is not unreasonable and I'd have probably done it at least once.
Old Feb 21, 2019, 8:48 am

Programs: AS 75K; UA 1MM; Hyatt Globalist; Marriott LTP; Hilton Diamond (Aspire)
At $9 I find it reasonable. Of course, as an elite "travel hacker" I love free stuff… but $9 for a step up to a Japanese breakfast (which is an experience) is not unreasonable and I'd have probably done it at least once.
I would pay it too. But look at the loyalty a property like SGS generates by being generous rather than nickel and diming elites.
MSPeconomist likes this.
Old Feb 21, 2019, 8:53 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

I would pay it too. But look at the loyalty a property like SGS generates by being generous rather than nickel and diming elites.
PH Tokyo doesn't charge Globalists any extra for room service AND Japanese breakfast. I wouldn't stay there due to another service issue but that is true generosity and elites recognition.
Old Feb 21, 2019, 10:16 am

Programs: Ex-Bonvoyed, Hyatt, Hilton, BR, AC, AA
Originally Posted by Aventine
I've never understood this because it isn't even much different than the buffet's Japanese menu assortment.
When I ordered the Japanese set, I was told that the Japanese set takes a while because it's being made "in the restaurant downstairs", I suppose it's made at Washoku Souten rather than Oasis Garden?
I would rather they not nickel and dime elites but given the quality, it's not a big ask. Taking away the lounge is a big negative though.
Old Feb 21, 2019, 11:28 am

Programs: A3*Gold, SPG Plat, HyattDiamond, MarriottPP, LHW exAccess, ICI, Raffles Amb, NW PE MM, TWA Gold MM
I stayed here last month and there weren't issues with the lounge being full. Once or twice I couldn't get my preferred seating type (sofa in back versus by the window versus large tables versus small tables near buffet) but even though the hotel was full (and not selling rooms on the Starriott website), the lounge wasn't full.

I wonder whether the hotel has started to sell relatively inexpensive lounge access to locals. This seems to be done at some hotels in Kora, so maybe this place in Japan is copying the idea. They could have a lounge surcharge on regular room bookings (not just suites and room categories that include the lounge) that's priced low enough to attract too many people.

If a lounge told me that they would call me to come back later, I would have reminded them at least once, perhaps about twenty minutes before the scheduled time for F&B to be taken away. If this still didn't work, I would go to the lounge then and insist an either taking food before it went away or some service gesture like appetizers and drinks in the hotel restaurant or bar of my choice (not some horrid all day dining spot) or from room service becasue presumably by then I had spent time waiting in my room for the call. However, in the case of the PG, the lounge is particularly attractive and better views than some of the rooms, so one would still be losing by having happy hour in one's own room.
Old Feb 22, 2019, 1:58 am

Programs: UA 1K, AA EXP; Marriott Amb; Hyatt Globalist; Shangri-la Diamond; IHG SpireAmb; Hilton D; Accor G
Originally Posted by Aventine
PH Tokyo doesn't charge Globalists any extra for room service AND Japanese breakfast. I wouldn't stay there due to another service issue but that is true generosity and elites recognition.
I've always found Hyatts in general to be more generous than Starriotts. I'm still amazed that the Andaz 5th Ave in NYC (in NYC! with terrible hotels! in the USA, which generally has lousy service) lets you order as much as you want for breakfast, with zero limitations (other than excluding booze), and through room service if you want. I've had some absurdly extravagant breakfasts there!
Old Feb 22, 2019, 2:17 am
JK

Programs: BA Gold / OnBusiness, SPG Lifetime Plat 100, AmEx Centurion & BAPP, Superking Westin Heavenly Bed :)
I've always found Hyatts in general to be more generous than Starriotts. I'm still amazed that the Andaz 5th Ave in NYC (in NYC! with terrible hotels! in the USA, which generally has lousy service) lets you order as much as you want for breakfast, with zero limitations (other than excluding booze), and through room service if you want. I've had some absurdly extravagant breakfasts there!
Total cost to hotel of 'extravagant breakfasts'? ~ $10 maybe...
Value of continual repeat business of happy customer seeking more extravagant breakfasts, and telling all their friends? Priceless
damon88 and btonkid12345 like this.
Old Feb 22, 2019, 2:18 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

During my last stay, they definitely charged me for overages eg. side of sausage. Andaz 5th is a YMMV kind of hotel. My latest Starriott StR stay in Astana was like your experience at 5th Avenue. They let me order as much as I wanted in the restaurant. Both buffet and a la carte options and as many beverages (no alcohol) as we wanted!

It's like Prince Gallery Kioicho suddenly realized they had carte blanche to nickel and dime their own elites and suffer very few, if any, consequences. This hotel should be debranded and should just become Seibu Prince blah blah. I actually liked this as the only pure luxury SPG choice and I'm saddened it's been Bonvoyed.
X-ON and MSPeconomist like this.
Old Feb 22, 2019, 2:25 am

Programs: SQ Krisflyer, QR Privilege Club, MB LT Plt (1K+ nights thx MB)
Originally Posted by JK
Total cost to hotel of 'extravagant breakfasts'? ~ $10 maybe...
Value of continual repeat business of happy customer seeking more extravagant breakfasts, and telling all their friends? Priceless
Probably the cost is a little north of 10 USD given that it can be delivered by room service, in any case a excellent way to become a top tier Elite preferred hotel in a city like NY.
If it attract enough Elites I am sure the P&L of this is positive ...
Old Feb 22, 2019, 3:12 am

Originally Posted by X-ON
Probably the cost is a little north of 10 USD given that it can be delivered by room service, in any case a excellent way to become a top tier Elite preferred hotel in a city like NY.
If it attract enough Elites I am sure the P&L of this is positive ...
Certainly, this is an example of building loyalty being smart business. I keep returning to the Andaz 5th, and have spent more nights here than any other hotel in the world. (And happy about it!)
Old Feb 22, 2019, 7:38 am

Programs: Flying Blue Platinum (Sky Team Elite Plus) / Marriott Ambassador Elite / Singapore Airlines PPS club
The hotel confirmed to me by email that Marriott forced them to remove lounge access for Platinums as it wasn't compliant with Bonvoy program rules..... if true that's a disgrace. Why can't hotels offer more than the minimum?
Old Feb 22, 2019, 7:46 am

I'm still amazed that the Andaz 5th Ave in NYC (in NYC! with terrible hotels! in the USA, which generally has lousy service) lets you order as much as you want for breakfast, with zero limitations (other than excluding booze), and through room service if you want.
While I agree that Hyatt's breakfast benefit is usually better, that's otherwise not correct. Andaz 5 imposes a cap on Globalist breakfast. IIRC correctly it was $75 per room last time I was there, and they charged us for going over. If they didn't charge you, that was an unusual exception.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.