Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Hotels and Places to Stay > Marriott | Marriott Bonvoy
Reload this Page >

Westin Grand Arabellapark, Munich / München, Germany [Master Thread]

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Westin Grand Arabellapark, Munich / München, Germany [Master Thread]

Search this Thread

Old Nov 28, 2010, 1:21 am

Originally Posted by skrosvik
How is this hotel regarding suite upgrades?

I am going there in early January

If you do not need breakfast or are platinum which means either breakfast in the lounge or free breakfast buffet in ZEN, book the prepaid rate in early january for 90€.
Old Dec 1, 2010, 1:30 am

This week my stay is not so pleasant.
The heating in the living room of my junior suite is not working and currently it is pretty cold in Munich. So I cannot use it. Told them in the morning and it was not repaired in the evening. As they were not able to tell me how long it would take the offered me to switch rooms. First option was a junior suite on same floor which I took, but when entering the room, I recognized that this room was already taken (luggage around) and the guest was coming out of the bathroom-weird situation.
Back to the reception and now they told me that I can choose between a non renovated junior suite on 12th floor or renovated on 14th floor. I took a look at to be renovated one, but it was not nice and looks very basic and not charming. So I stick to mine which is now basically normal room as you cannot use the separated living room.
After this in house trip the reception called me again and proposed a club room and bottle of wine-I neglected.
In the morning the club lounge reception was not occupied which happens now more often and thus the separate check-in/out is not available. The first words I heard by the only breakfast service staff there was "...., ....", not a nice welcome. She seems to be overloaded with the work there.
In addition the internet is not working properly in my room and when then it is horrible slow. This fact is not improving for over half a year now and I’m not the only one complaining about it. The reason is that they use very old routers and only club rooms have newer ones.
For my next stays I will not choose the Westin anymore and stick to the Sheraton across the street.
Old Dec 1, 2010, 5:40 am

Programs: Star Alliance Gold, Skyteam E+, Bonvoy Titanium, Hilton Diamond
Hmm, sounds annoying. Why would you rate the Sheraton above Westin?

I am going there on January 4th, and I am still not sure which hotel to book...
Old Dec 1, 2010, 6:10 am

The sheraton has a more modern, younger and stylish appearance. While the Westin is more in the range of grand hotel regarding furniture. It depends what you like more.
Standard rooms are bigger in the Westin and all of them except Classic rooms have the same size (around 30m²). But as platinum you rarely get upgrade to suites as they not have many and jr. suites consist of two normal rooms with a connecting door.
In Sheraton the suites are real suites with nice big balconies, but if you do not have platinum status you most probably end up in one of their several rather small rooms. This is in my opinion the reason why it has only 4 stars vs. the westin with 5 stars.
The lounge is bigger in Westin but not better regarding food. And as Sheraton has the more loyal long staying customers, the staff knows you already.
Old Dec 3, 2010, 3:12 am

The westin promised me an upgrade to a westin-suite (not a selected standard one) for my next stay as an excuse, so this is a fine move and proper handling of the situation.^
Old Dec 4, 2010, 9:10 am

Programs: SPG Plat Lifetime, CX Diamond, LH SEN, TK Elite / *A Gold
Both places lacking in stylish or cosy interior design. The Sheraton at least has a huge spa/Pool/Sauna area with a great view over the city, although not very modern, while the Westin is more refined regarding the spa (which my wife wages the most). The rooms in both places are only bearable with an upgrade (last stay over night was a year back, so maybe that changed with renovations). The lounge in the Sheraton is accessible 24h via room-keycard, which I liked.

But both places suck in location... I have to admit as a local. Try to get somewhere at night and back, a disaster.
Old Dec 4, 2010, 2:42 pm

Originally Posted by Ixo
The lounge in the Sheraton is accessible 24h via room-keycard, which I liked.
That's not right. You need the keycard to access the club level, but lounge has a separate door and is closed after 10pm during the week.
Old Jan 16, 2011, 12:25 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AAConciergeKey/1MM, DL DM/2 MM, UA Gold,Hilton Diamond, IHG Plat, Hyatt Globalist, Marriott Titanium
Has this property undergone a complete renovation? It seems like some rooms are totally unrenovated while others have new TVs, but the same dated armchairs, lights, and desk chairs are still in place. Most rooms look hardly anything like on the Starwood web site.
Old Jan 16, 2011, 12:28 pm

Programs: AC E75, SPG Plat, HH peon-by-choice (ex Gold)
No.

From my post #51, I was told only rooms on the 13th floor and above (+ all suites) have been renovated.
Old Apr 13, 2011, 2:13 pm

Programs: UA Plat MM, AA Gold MM, Marriott LTT, Hyatt Globalist
I had another one night stay here on a Friday night in early April. No real upgrade, Deluxe or Grand Deluxe room. I have never been upgrade to a suite or junior suite here.

I may give the Sheraton across the street a try next time. The Sheraton is undergoing renovation in the entrance area, hopefully it'll look nicer when it's done. The lobby looked really old when I looked in Jun. 2010.
Old Aug 10, 2011, 2:12 am

Programs: EX²-*wood platinum, EX-hyatt diamond, sixt platinum, hilton silver, leaders club, esselunga verde...
Restaurant ZEN is closed in august. Paulaners is open.

There is only fruit and chips in the time between breakfast in the morning and snacks in the evening, no more cake or something like that, in the lounge.

Closing time of the lounge is now 22:30 Uhr ( 10:30 p.m. ) instead of 22:00 Uhr ( 10:00 p.m. ).
Old Aug 10, 2011, 2:15 am

Programs: EX²-*wood platinum, EX-hyatt diamond, sixt platinum, hilton silver, leaders club, esselunga verde...
The change in staff is going on and the housekeeping company will also be changed another time this year...

Last edited by Forstbetrieb; Aug 10, 2011 at 2:25 am
Old Aug 26, 2011, 7:07 am

Programs: LH M/M now,BA Silver,SPG PLAT, Sixt Plat/Europcar Elite VIP
still as snobby and receiving poor service!
I dont get it at this property, why the staff are astonishing bad mannered as in all other munich properties, you get a decent treatment
Old Aug 26, 2011, 4:36 pm

Programs: AC E75, SPG Plat, HH peon-by-choice (ex Gold)
Originally Posted by zerbib
still as snobby and receiving poor service!
I dont get it at this property, why the staff are astonishing bad mannered as in all other munich properties, you get a decent treatment
Which staff are you referring to?

For my stay last year, I received excellent assistance from their Plat lounge/concierge staff from the time of booking all the way to the period of my stay. Even better than the vast majority of Asian properties I've been to.
Old Sep 8, 2011, 2:30 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Any idea what parking charges are here per night on the weekend? Thanks in advance- was able to get a spg redemption for a w/e during Oktoberfest.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.