Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Hotels and Places to Stay > Marriott | Marriott Bonvoy
Reload this Page >

Westin Grand Arabellapark, Munich / München, Germany [Master Thread]

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Westin Grand Arabellapark, Munich / München, Germany [Master Thread]

Search this Thread

Old Sep 16, 2014, 9:26 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by DavidAL
I have 2 nights coming up in MUC. I can stay either at the Westin, or the Sheraton Westpark. Thoughts on which? Leaning towards Westin right now based of the reviews here.
I personally suggest the Westin.
Old Sep 16, 2014, 10:17 am

Originally Posted by TRAVELSIG
I personally suggest the Westin.
Would generally second that.

The Westin is one league above the Sheraton, and therefore the typically very small/zero price differential is justified in my view. Don't expect wonders, but there is a nice club lounge at the Westin, rooms are OK, and service (while impersonal) gets things done without hickups.

Both are in slightly out of the way locations, but the Westin is a bit more convenient to the airport and to the city center (Westpark is closer to Oktoberfest though).

I think I staid at Westpark only once or twice when all other options were full. Had an unpleasant experience there once when I was walked, and the front desk agent, instead of apologizing complained to me about how bad his job is, all those people showing up that he has to walk. Never set foot there again.

Last edited by kamel123; Sep 16, 2014 at 10:25 am
Old Sep 16, 2014, 10:27 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by kamel123

Both are in slightly out of the way locations, but the Westin is a bit more convenient to the airport and to the city center (Westpark is closer to Oktoberfest though).
I have used Westin a couple of times for Oktoberfest- the train near the hotel goes straight there- no need to change- so while not as close than Westpark it is easy enough to get to via public transport. If arriving by car and on a weekend- Parking near the Westin on the street is free on weekends as well- not sure if this is the case around the Westpark as well? Lastly- the Thai and Indian restaurants just down the street from the Westin are pretty good actually if you don't feel like heading out and about.
Old Sep 16, 2014, 1:23 pm

Programs: All of the Above
Thanks for the info! I'll stick with the Westin it sounds like.
Old Sep 16, 2014, 1:28 pm
Moderator: Lufthansa Miles & More, India based airlines, India, External Miles & Points Resources

Programs: LH SEN
Hmm... no good Thai or Indian place in the vicinity (anymore): Namaste is utterly bad, and the Thai place closed. A vietnamese fusion something place nearby is nothing to speak of. The only decent places are Meissners and the vapianos. There are a few high end italian places towards Bogenhausen, but thats quite a walk.
Old Sep 17, 2014, 2:02 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by oliver2002
Hmm... no good Thai or Indian place in the vicinity (anymore): Namaste is utterly bad, and the Thai place closed. A vietnamese fusion something place nearby is nothing to speak of. The only decent places are Meissners and the vapianos. There are a few high end italian places towards Bogenhausen, but thats quite a walk.
Thai place closed?

And Namaste went downhill?

Too bad.
Old Sep 17, 2014, 6:23 am

You have Acquarello relatively close by in walking distance, one of the best Italian restaurants in Munich in my book. I actually liked it better pre-renovation (when it was pure 1980s style - turquoise color scheme, a fountain in the middle etc.), but the food is still great.
Old Sep 17, 2014, 6:35 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

You have Acquarello relatively close by in walking distance, one of the best Italian restaurants in Munich in my book. I actually liked it better pre-renovation (when it was pure 1980s style - turquoise color scheme, a fountain in the middle etc.), but the food is still great.
I tend to avoid Italian restaurants when I am outside of Italy- however I have also eaten here and found it to be very good.

On the Subject of the Westin v. other SPG options- the only two SPG options I really regularly go to in Munich are this Westin and then the LM near the train station. The Sheraton (next door) is more dated than the Westin whereas the other Sheraton discussed in this thread is closer to a 3* while this Westin is closer to a 4*.

The only mishap that occurred at this Westin is when the concierge warned my wife "be careful at Oktoberfest this weekend- there are too many Italians!" because it was Italian day. He was a touch embarrassed when my wife pointed out she indeed was Italian- although actually the advice of the concierge was bang on- way too many Italians at Oktoberfest during "Italian day"!
Old Sep 17, 2014, 7:36 am
Moderator: Lufthansa Miles & More, India based airlines, India, External Miles & Points Resources

You have Acquarello relatively close by in walking distance, one of the best Italian restaurants in Munich in my book.
20 min is walking distance...?
Old Sep 17, 2014, 8:44 am

20 min is walking distance...?
Err, yes? Although I have found it to closer to 15 minutes in reality, despite what Google maps says.
Old Sep 17, 2014, 9:11 am

When I take my son to visit some friend for a playdate near Böhmerwaldplatz I take the 144 Bus instead of walking...

Bottom line: if you are willing to walk 15-20 min to Herkomerplatz and Böhmerwaldplatz area there are plenty of dining options 'near' the Westin since that part of town is the high end villa area of Munich
Old Sep 18, 2014, 7:45 am

Programs: EX²-*wood platinum, EX-hyatt diamond, sixt platinum, hilton silver, leaders club, esselunga verde...
Exclamation First Frankfurt, now München. Desert Westins Germany...

http://www.tophotel.de/hoteltests/lu...-als-sein.html

only in german.

http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/22184082-post126.html
Old Sep 18, 2014, 8:36 am

Yep, that review nails down the Westin 'Grand' perfectly. I would only recommend it if you are paying ≤120€/night.

Lucky for the Westin was that the reviewer didn't show up during the seasonal Arab invasion which lasts 6-8 weeks in summer.
Old Sep 18, 2014, 9:01 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Yep, that review nails down the Westin 'Grand' perfectly.
I agree- fair review.
Old Sep 18, 2014, 9:20 am

Programs: EX²-*wood platinum, EX-hyatt diamond, sixt platinum, hilton silver, leaders club, esselunga verde...
Every year even worse.

Over the last years I stay as far as possible far far away from the Westin Grand München...

And when I can't stay elsewhere it is always at least difficult.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.