Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Hotels and Places to Stay > Marriott | Marriott Bonvoy
Reload this Page >

Westin Grand Arabellapark, Munich / München, Germany [Master Thread]

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Westin Grand Arabellapark, Munich / München, Germany [Master Thread]

Search this Thread

Old Sep 6, 2009, 12:39 pm

Programs: LH Sen // HH Dia; Bonvoy LTTE
The Spa is currently closed because of renovation and extension. Guests can use the Spa in the Sheraton Arabellapark (which is diagonally opposite on the other side of the street).
Expected reopening of the Spa is at the end of September.
Old Oct 14, 2009, 5:37 pm

Well done Westin Grand

I have just finished a 2 day stay here in an Executive Room on the 19th floor.
This was my first stay since the hotel was rebranded the Westin Grand from the Arabella Sheraton Grand in the middle of last year.
My room was modern , clean,and well equipped and I had a most enjoyable stay.
The hotel was full and at check in they mentioned that it was full for the next 10 days with a Medical Congress and various conferences.
One of the first things I noticed was the high staff level and how well the Hotel was running. My bags were once again waiting in my room for me when I entered. I had the same very pleasant woman check me in in the seperate Exec Club check in area past normal reception.
I had breakfast in the Lounge on the 21st floor on the first morning of my stay.At 10AM later that very morning the Lounge closed and will reopen on the 22nd/23rd ?? floor as a 2 level lounge in possibly March 2010.(Exec Floors are 19,20,21 and 22)
On the 2nd morning, in lieu of the Lounge not being open I had free buffet breakfast in Zen that was very good and once again well staffed.I was also given 2 vouchers for coffee and cake in the foyer during my stay along with a complimentary large bottle of gassed mineral water in my room.
Bed was very comfortable and my floor very quiet indeed given the conference chaos going on down stairs.
It was easy getting to Marienplatz for shopping via the U4 line at Arabellapark just a short walk away.
Looking forward to a return visit soon.

Last edited by aussiechris; Oct 14, 2009 at 5:47 pm Reason: spelling
Old May 1, 2010, 1:28 pm

Programs: EX²-*wood platinum, EX-hyatt diamond, sixt platinum, hilton silver, leaders club, esselunga verde...
Exclamation New rooftop lounge is open ( good and bad news )

The good news are: the new rooftop lounge is open!^

The bad news are: the buffet ( nothing to write home... ) will close every evening at 21:00 / 9:00 p.m. while the lounge is open until 22:00 / 10:00 p.m.

I don't know what the management has thought

May be to much EX - Hilton inside!!!

At the Sheraton Westpark the lounge is open until 23:00 / 11:00 p.m. with food!

At the Sheraton Arabellapark also food until closing!
Old Jun 21, 2010, 12:34 pm

Programs: UA Plat MM, AA Gold MM, Marriott LTT, Hyatt Globalist
I´m here on my second one night stay in one week. The staff is excellent and helpful, everyone I encountered was very nice and all had a smile on her/his face. By comparison, I went across the street to check out the Sheraton ArabellaPark, and the contrast is striking. This convinved me to cancel my reservation at the Sheraton ArabellaPark and move to the Westin Grand for the second stay.

The hotel looked new since their renovation and conversion to Westin. The spa area is much nicer than the spa at Le Meridien.

The Executive club lounge had lamb skewers, fried shrimp, and Mexican spring rolls with black beans for hot food, good selection of assorted cheeses and a couple of desserts.

The only irritation is the lounge food is cleaned up at 9 PM. I arrived my first night at 9:30 PM and there was no food. The location is also easy to reach by car. The Europcar car rental office across the street also makes it convenient to pick up or return a rental car.
Old Jul 24, 2010, 9:24 am

Programs: SPG PLT, AA EXP
Just checked in for my 2nd stay - first since the new lounge has opened and first since the Westin rebranding. The hotel itself doesn't look much different than when it was a Sheraton but the lounge is COMPLETELY different. The lounge is accessible by private elevator only on the 22nd floor (your room key calls the elevator). Doors open on the 23rd floor.

The lounge is 2 levels. The main seating area is on the 23rd floor and a much cozier seating and TV area on the 24th floor (2 PC's for internet access as well). Decor is quite contemporary. Food isn't out yet but the lounge is drastically different than the old lounge.

Biggest negative for the property - NO Wifi anywhere in the building. Inexcusable really for a recently renovated hotel. Wired internet was great in hotel rooms 10 years ago. Wireless is needed!

Other than that... terrific so far.

- T
Old Jul 24, 2010, 11:43 am

Programs: AC E75, SPG Plat, HH peon-by-choice (ex Gold)
I was there in May. According to staff, normal rooms on the 13th floor and above plus all suites were renovated.

The lounge certainly looks swanky but there were far more food choices back when it was a Sheraton.
Old Jul 24, 2010, 4:35 pm

Programs: EX²-*wood platinum, EX-hyatt diamond, sixt platinum, hilton silver, leaders club, esselunga verde...
Originally Posted by Braindrain
I was there in May. According to staff, normal rooms on the 13th floor and above plus all suites were renovated.

The lounge certainly looks swanky but there were far more food choices back when it was a Sheraton.
Yes, much more choices, also short after rebranding...

Now, new management and new policy...
Old Jul 25, 2010, 1:06 am

Programs: Lufthansa, Starwood Preferred Guest, Hyatt Gold Passport, Avis
I stayed twice there this month and the lounge is nice. The drinks aren't cold. I was told the cooling device outside is not good. And WiFI wasn't working like the wired Internet in the room was slow or not working.
Old Aug 17, 2010, 12:47 pm

Programs: Miles&More Senator , EX-SPG Platinum now Bonvoy LTP, IC Platinum , Hilton Diamond, Hyatt Globalist
I stayed there last night and must say the new Lounge is very nice. Food was same style as before, kind of fingerfood and I would say better than nothing. Drinks where fine, temperature was nice.

WIFI is still not working.

Breakfast as really nice. Great and friendly service. Even the scramlbed eggs and salamon was good tasty. It was everything available and for me it for great.

I also see this as an additional offer for Plats and would like to say thank you for this nice serve! (Also copared to IC RA where it is not guranteed that you are invited to the Lounge!) Thanks SPG!
Old Oct 23, 2010, 10:45 pm

Post Instant Awards

Evening Delights:

Savour a cocktail in our " Ducktail's -Die Bar " and enjoy the atmosphere.

750 Starpoints

Culinary Breakfast Delights:

Sit back and enjoy our extensive breakfast buffet served in our restaurant " ZEN "

3750 Starpoints per person

Movie Night:

Enjoy our hole digital entertainment offer from noon to noon

Starpoints 3750

Relaxation:

Stressed? We have a perfect solution for you! Relax and enjoy a 25 minute back / neck massage in our AltiraSpa

from 5250 Starpoints

Wellbeing:

Have a great start into the day - with your own, cuddly Westin bathrobe white cotton size M / L / XL

7500 Starpoints

Asian vivands:

Enjoy a 3 course menu and a glas of sake in our " ZEN " restaurant

9000 Starpoints per person

Suite Upgrade:

Make your stay even more memorable by upgrading to one of our suites

from 12.000 Starpoints

copied as written
Old Oct 24, 2010, 4:51 am

I want to add something special:

The Westin Grand Arabellapark München / Munich is now a " starless " hotel for economic reasons. ( " Kongreßhotel " )

There was also a big change in staff ( may be going on ) and there is a new housekeeping company.

Last edited by Forstbetrieb; Oct 24, 2010 at 4:54 am Reason: Schreibfehler...
Old Nov 2, 2010, 3:09 am

Programs: No more shiny cards -- former LH SEN, SPG Platinum, Flying Blue Platinum, BA Silver
Excellent selection of multi-lingual TV channels

I stay in this hotel each week. Apart from comments that others have made, one of the "home comforts" is the vast selection of TV channels -- for example, they have:
  • BBC 1 London
  • BBC 2
  • ITV 1 London

To some, this may sound silly however it is a god send for me given the amount of time I spend in this hotel (I very quickly get fed up watching CNN / Bloomberg / BBC World News)
Old Nov 15, 2010, 4:55 pm

Programs: Star Alliance Gold, Skyteam E+, Bonvoy Titanium, Hilton Diamond
How is this hotel regarding suite upgrades?

I am going there in early January
Old Nov 27, 2010, 1:24 pm

Programs: Delta GM +MM; SPG LT Plat; Hyatt Diamond
quick report

just got back from a 3 night stay at the westin. Found it to be lovely and had everything I needed (except free wireless internet) and most everything I wanted.
Breakfast started at 6:30 am in the lounge, which is really lovely and elegant with tables downstairs and a loungier couch/tv aread upstairs. The breakfast was not extensive, but very good with eggs and salmon and for some reason brocoli where you'd expect potatoes. The full beer/wine fridges was stcoked for breakfast and throught the day and the everning selection was good enough to make a meal if you basically have no dietary restrictions, but you could be sol depending on what they put out that day - seafood stews or salmon pastries are the 2 I remember.
The room was really a suite, but they called it a junior suite and the spa was fantastic. I will try to post more later, so just pm me if you have any urgent questions I might answer.
All in all, I would definitely return to the hotel, even if it isn't the most centrally located (50 euro taxi to the airport!)
Old Nov 28, 2010, 1:19 am

I stay here every second week and recognized the change of housekeeping immediately as bath amenities are not filled up anymore every day. I complained and they promised to forward it.
During the week you won't see any preupgrade to suites. But during the weekend you will.
Normally platinums get upgraded to grand deluxe rooms which are the same as deluxe rooms but on a higher floor. As they are also the same as club rooms except the nespresso machine and platinums have lounge access any way, club rooms are seldom given to platinums. These are given to people who really pay for it and there are lots of them.
But if you are lucky a suite may be available at check-in. But you have to explicitly ask for it and insist on it as the front office clerk cannot do any changes and has to call the manager on duty. Then you get one of the sixteen selective suites which are junior suites. These are located in the corner and consist of two double rooms with a connecting door. They are the same size as a Westin suite but the bathroom is the one of a normal room.
Only jr. suite without a connecting door I had so far is the one on club level (2214) but here you hear the elevators which is annoying.

In comparison to the Sheraton across, the Westin has a different flair, more international. But the Sheraton treats platinum much better, especially if you are there very often. In terms of guests the Sheraton has more loyal customers who come back every week whereas the guest fluctuation in the Westin is higher. Thus the staff does not you know by name which they do in the Sheraton. (okay me they now also know, which saves to tell them my room number )
And during the summer the balconies in the Sheraton are very nice, whereas in the Westin only classic rooms which are facing a very noisy street have a balcony.

As I pay the same rate for both I’m just switching between both every week, as you cannot make a clear winner here.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.