Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Hotels and Places to Stay > Marriott | Marriott Bonvoy
Reload this Page >

Sheraton Sunnyvale CA [Master Thread]

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Sheraton Sunnyvale CA [Master Thread]

Search this Thread

Old Nov 11, 2012, 7:43 pm

Programs: HHonors Diamond, SPG Platinum, Marriott Gold, United 1K
I am an event organizer and have recently visited most of the large hotels within 10 miles of SJC, including this Sheraton. Just a few notes:

We held a group meal at Faz Restaurant, and it was quite good indeed. But the odor of the kebab smokers is a real issue at this hotel, permeating the co-located ballrooms. We simply could not use these rooms for our events due to this!

And the rest of the property literally stinks. Each area (demonstrated rooms, lobby, hallway, lounge, pool area) had its own unique odor, and each was strong enough to cause us to nix the whole place. The lounge stinks like ancient burned coffee, the hallway like mildew, etc.

Seriously - my event manager and I both called it "the stinky hotel" after our tour! You've got to do something about this!

One more thing: The popularity of Faz makes locating lobby-front parking to be a real issue. Not at all welcoming to guests!
Old Jan 19, 2013, 6:46 pm

Programs: SPG Platinum
Was walked last night to this hotel, do to The Aloft Cupertino not opening. I've stayed at this hotel so many times. This is the hotel with more stays for me. Some how during communication between both hotels my room was reserved for Saturday night and not Friday night. So upon my arrival there was no reservation for me that night.It was close to 9pm and The General Manager came out and she greeted me by first name and everything. So was told about my situation and cleared it up right away. Not only was I given a room, I was given my usual upgraded room. Just would like to give Kudos to their general manager. She is by far one of the best Starwood has to offer. I understand stuff happens, but she took care of it right away. I am in no way asking for any compensation or was I looking for any. But would like my fellow Flyertalkers to know that this is a great hotel while in the Bay Area. My home away from home.
Old Mar 24, 2013, 8:09 pm

Programs: Marriott AMB, Skywards Gold
Stayed here for one night, was upgraded to the only suite they have weeks in advance ^.

Although the suite was spacious, the room lights were all white which is becoming a theme with Starwood these days (2nd stay in a month) I'm not a big fan of it. We got breakfast coupons to be used at the restaurant, spread was very minimal and not that great.

Staff were top notch although I waited for a little during check-in for them to check if the room was ready or not, even though I called over an hour prior to see if it's ready or not (they said it is), plus the person who was checking was the same person who I talked to over the phone.

Parking was free, overall a good stay but I won't stay here again because of the white lights.
Old Apr 23, 2014, 11:04 am

Programs: StarAlliance (UA 1K), PriorityClub (Plat), SPG (Plat), OneWorld (AA), SkyTeam (KLM), Marriott (Gold)
This hotel is a little old and worn, but there aren't many hotels around here that aren't old and worn Location is great for me so that is why I chose it.

Checkin staff are very friendly ^

At checkin you can select starpoints or coupons for a buffet breakfast in the main restaurant. I took the coupons (since I will stay for 7 nights). However, the breakfast is pretty low quality:

- the scrambled eggs taste like no scrambled egg I've eaten before so I stopped eating them after the first day (even the HI buffet eggs taste better)

- the bacon is incinerated and thin (pretty standard for US hotel buffets).

- the hash browns are 'interesting' in the sense that you probably wouldn't want to eat a whole one

Since that rules out most of the hot items you may as well stick with the minimal offerings in the lounge. The staff in the main restaurant at buffet time are not friendly at all. I don't want to talk to them or anything, but they could try to smile once in a while.
Old Jun 19, 2016, 8:09 am

Programs: StarAlliance (UA 1K), PriorityClub (Plat), SPG (Plat), OneWorld (AA), SkyTeam (KLM), Marriott (Gold)
Check your MAGC points

Me again

I've stayed at this hotel at least 5 times now. Generally the staff are quite nice and the club lounge is decent for a US property. Rates are very high these days.

My recent stay was for 4 nights, and I put out the MAGC card every night. At checkout the agent said it would be 1000 points for MAGC. I tried to suggest that this isn't correct, since 1500 points should be due for 3 days but he was having none of it (his argument went something like 'house keeping happened on your first and last day so you can't claim those').

I was tired and in a hurry so couldn't muster a coherent response. Obviously I should have just asked 'have many MAGC points would I get for a two night stay?'. A few seconds of thought would show that gets 500 points but I didn't think to ask about it.

To be fair, they've occasionally given me too many points in the past so it all evens out I guess.
Old Jul 10, 2017, 5:32 am
Marriott Contributor Badge

Programs: Marriott LTP, Hilton Gold, ITA Elite+, Cathay S, Singapore S, Hertz PC, Avis PC
Any more recent updates on this hotel? How would this be as a base to explore the San Francisco / San Jose area for a few days?

We'll be in downtown San Francisco for a few days as well, but rates are so high I started looking around SF area. We will have a rental car for the day's were not in SF central.
Old Jul 10, 2017, 6:37 am

Programs: MR AMB/LT, AA EP, TK EP, DL D, B6 M4, F9 100K, IHG AMB/D, HH D, CZR D, FndCd, Sixt D, NTL E, Hz PC
I stayed here last week while "on call" for security for the launch of a crypto currency in mountain view (how 2017...).

Staff were friendly and helpful (I had some Amazon packages delivered), room was clean and well maintained, and the club lounge had bottles of Perrier as well as other soft drinks and was generally ok (I had breakfast one morning; nothing special but free....). Internet worked, and wasn't slow. Plenty of free parking, convenient to 101 and 237. The biggest downside is a lot of the rooms are either in another building or on the second floor without an elevator, but that isn't a big deal, and you can certainly get first floor if you request.

Certainly not a destination in itself, and Sunnyvale is really a suburban tech town, not an exciting place. If I were a tourist I would either pay the inflated SPG cash rates or use points in SF, or break ranks and do Airbnb or another chain. However, for business purposes on the Peninsula, it is nice enough. (Slight preference for the Aloft style myself, or staying in San Jose or Palo Alto.)
Old Sep 16, 2018, 2:13 pm

Programs: Hyatt Diamond, IHG Platinum, Hilton Gold, Club Carlson Gold, Starwood Gold
This hotel was apparently acquired by Starwood Capital to be converted into the "1" brand. Anyone know more about that?
Old Nov 2, 2019, 2:55 pm

Programs: SPG Platinum
Originally Posted by stvr
This hotel was apparently acquired by Starwood Capital to be converted into the "1" brand. Anyone know more about that?

Rumors have it, it will be losing The Sheraton Flag in December. Doesn’t meet the Marriott standards for a Sheraton.
Old Dec 3, 2019, 7:50 am

Programs: AC SE100K, Marriott Bonvoy LTE
Originally Posted by gabo02
Rumors have it, it will be losing The Sheraton Flag in December. Doesn’t meet the Marriott standards for a Sheraton.
I'm no longer able to book this hotel for any stay that ends after Dec 19th.
Old Dec 3, 2019, 2:16 pm

I’m willing to bet this Sheraton is indeed a forthcoming 1 Hotel:
1 Hotels Sunnyvale - SB Architects

The city’s public meeting minutes from 2014 describes
expansion of the existing 173-room hotel through partial demolition and construction of a new 9-story building with 242 rooms and ballroom/conference facilities, resulting in a 342 room-hotel
Old Dec 5, 2019, 12:09 pm
Senior Moderator

Programs: UA Plat/2MM [23-yr. 1K, now emeritus] clawing way back to WN-A List; MR LT Titanium; HY Whateverist.
We've had many stays here over the years, to attend activities in the Palo Alto through San Jose corridor. There's no doubt that the existing two-story-no-elevator property from the '60s or so is out-of-date. But we hope that the large swimming pool/hot tub complex will survive. It's one of the best in the area.
Old Feb 18, 2020, 7:25 pm

Programs: AA EXP, 12 year ex AA CK, AA LT PLT, Marriott LTT, Hyatt Globalist, UA Silver
Originally Posted by ntamayo
I’m willing to bet this Sheraton is indeed a forthcoming 1 Hotel:
1 Hotels Sunnyvale - SB Architects

The city’s public meeting minutes from 2014 describes
Not 100% sure. Currently having dinner at Faz (onsite restaurant) and there are signs on the hotel door saying "opening soon"
Old Aug 17, 2021, 9:46 am

Programs: UA GS (2MM), Marriott Ambassador Elite
Is the Sheraton is Sunnyvale closed for good?
Old Jan 21, 2022, 12:22 pm

It's now the Hotel Mathilda at Moffett Park.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.