Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Hotels and Places to Stay > Marriott | Marriott Bonvoy
Reload this Page >

St. Regis Maldives Vommuli Resort [Master Thread]

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

St. Regis Maldives Vommuli Resort [Master Thread]

Search this Thread

Old Jan 25, 2022, 1:56 am

Programs: OZ Diamond, Hyatt Globalist, Marriott Ti/LTP, Hilton Diamond, Sixt AC, Hertz PC
Originally Posted by CPH-Flyer
The Bonvoy Asia F&B discount offer gets updated ever so regularly. It is always set with an expiration date of 31.12. and 30.06., and they reserve the right to change properties that participate without notice. All the Maldives resorts were included pre 31.12.2021, none are included right now. I suspect they will come back after the remainder of peak season.
All Maldives properties were gone by December already.
Old Jan 25, 2022, 3:43 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: JAL Metal Card (OWE), SAS Eurobonus Gold (*G), Marriott Titanium (LTP), Tokyu Hotels Platinum
Originally Posted by Kaloz
All Maldives properties were gone by December already.
I did not check during December, but considering it is part of the very peak season, I am hardly surprised.
Old Jan 25, 2022, 8:47 am
wsc

Anyone been to both IC and StR - could you compare the two? Hard and soft product. Thanks
Old Jan 25, 2022, 11:57 am

Programs: MAR Titanium, HH Gold
Got the quote re upgrade during Dec 25-30. 490++ per night to upgrade GV to OWV. So they charge exactly the same gap in the cash rates.

Last edited by noeatbutgo; Jan 25, 2022 at 5:17 pm
Old Jan 25, 2022, 9:59 pm

Originally Posted by noeatbutgo
Got the quote re upgrade during Dec 25-30. 490++ per night to upgrade GV to OWV. So they charge exactly the same gap in the cash rates.
Ooph, that's rough. Was there any hint on what the generic "OWV" actually books into (sunset, panoramic, or lagoon)? My guess is lagoon because the cash rates are exactly the same. But, if it's really just a cash price difference on the upgrade, you could upgrade to panoramic OWV for ~$121/night?
Old Jan 25, 2022, 10:51 pm

Originally Posted by flayum
Ooph, that's rough. Was there any hint on what the generic "OWV" actually books into (sunset, panoramic, or lagoon)? My guess is lagoon because the cash rates are exactly the same. But, if it's really just a cash price difference on the upgrade, you could upgrade to panoramic OWV for ~$121/night?
The generic 'OWV' based on points are very likely to be the ones with a sunrise view facing East and the main island. And the upgrade charge all depends on the property who argues a dynamic pricing based on room availability, occupancy rate etc etc. So you might want to contact the reservation desk to get your own exact quote.

I will continue to check non-GV availability for Dec 25-30 until late Feb (when I will be in the resort). If nothing comes up, then I will go with my OWV on Dec 22-27 as it can save US$3k.
flayum likes this.
Old Jan 26, 2022, 12:52 pm

StR vs RC

I have booked StR BV for two for 425k points and just made a points advance booking for OWV in RC for 400k. I am a Titanium member, so breakfast is free regardless. Don't really care for swimming/snorkeling. Which resort should I choose?
Old Jan 26, 2022, 1:00 pm

Originally Posted by LukFilm
I have booked StR BV for two for 425k points and just made a points advance booking for OWV in RC for 400k. I am a Titanium member, so breakfast is free regardless. Don't really care for swimming/snorkeling. Which resort should I choose?
Should be the RC, right? From what I've read in both threads, the RC has superior hard product in the villa and island, comparable service given the variability at both locations, and comparable cost. The only detractions of the RC are much worse reef (no impact for you), potential for more children given the better childcare services (if that bothers you), and lack of status recognition (not an issue). I've read opinions that skew both ways for food, so I guess that's a YMMV situation.
Old Jan 26, 2022, 1:15 pm

Programs: Bonvoy Titanium Elite, VSE/MVC Chairman's Club
Originally Posted by LukFilm
I am a Titanium member, so breakfast is free regardless.
Breakfast is not an elite benefit/amenity at Ritz Carlton's.
Old Jan 26, 2022, 2:53 pm

Originally Posted by flayum
Should be the RC, right? From what I've read in both threads, the RC has superior hard product in the villa and island, comparable service given the variability at both locations, and comparable cost. The only detractions of the RC are much worse reef (no impact for you), potential for more children given the better childcare services (if that bothers you), and lack of status recognition (not an issue). I've read opinions that skew both ways for food, so I guess that's a YMMV situation.
I have a similar choice and opted for the RC, thanks to lagunas2k's really helpful advice here. My choice was a bit tougher because I actually do want to do a fair bit of diving and the reef at the StR is apparently much better, plus the diving is a lot cheaper since you don't need to take a boat to get to a dive site.

As YYJMSP pointed out, the breakfast benefit does not apply at the Ritz. You do get complimentary non-alcoholic drinks in your minibar plus afternoon tea, which helps make up for the lack of free breakfast.

The TL;DR is that the Ritz has a better, newer hard product ​​​​​​and much better privacy (if you care about that). The StR beach villas are a big gamble due to erosion of the beach in front of many of them, making them more of half-overwater villas. Based on what I've read, the choice is pretty clear for you: save the 25k points and go with the RC.
Old Jan 26, 2022, 3:06 pm

Originally Posted by rucksack
I have a similar choice and opted for the RC, thanks to lagunas2k's really helpful advice here. My choice was a bit tougher because I actually do want to do a fair bit of diving and the reef at the StR is apparently much better, plus the diving is a lot cheaper since you don't need to take a boat to get to a dive site.

As YYJMSP pointed out, the breakfast benefit does not apply at the Ritz. You do get complimentary non-alcoholic drinks in your minibar plus afternoon tea, which helps make up for the lack of free breakfast.

The TL;DR is that the Ritz has a better, newer hard product ​​​​​​and much better privacy (if you care about that). The StR beach villas are a big gamble due to erosion of the beach in front of many of them, making them more of half-overwater villas. Based on what I've read, the choice is pretty clear for you: save the 25k points and go with the RC.
One caveat is RC's exorbitant cancellation penalty. So please check.
Old Jan 26, 2022, 3:17 pm

Fair point, thanks for the reminder. I did see that the Ritz's is 90 days vs. 30 days for the StR, but I figured that difference wouldn't matter. I do plan to get insurance to cover unforeseen issues. The RC hasn't sent an email with details of the cancellation policy other than the boiler plate "we will assess a fee if you must cancel after this deadline." What are the details?
Old Jan 26, 2022, 3:45 pm

Originally Posted by rucksack
Fair point, thanks for the reminder. I did see that the Ritz's is 90 days vs. 30 days for the StR, but I figured that difference wouldn't matter. I do plan to get insurance to cover unforeseen issues. The RC hasn't sent an email with details of the cancellation policy other than the boiler plate "we will assess a fee if you must cancel after this deadline." What are the details?
You definitely need to check the amount of cancellation penalty- StR requires like USD2,910 but RC needs USD14,000~16,000. There was a discussion on this somewhere above in this thread. This is a deal breaker for me although actually I wanted to try RC in December this year.
rucksack likes this.
Old Jan 26, 2022, 10:13 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: JAL Metal Card (OWE), SAS Eurobonus Gold (*G), Marriott Titanium (LTP), Tokyu Hotels Platinum
It was over the Christmas New Year period that it has been set to 90 days, for January peak season for me the cancellation period was 21 days, and one night penalty after that. If you go to off peak it even be more generous. You always need to check, different seasons different rules.
Old Jan 26, 2022, 11:27 pm

Programs: Marriott Bonvoy Platinum, Hilton Honors Diamond, Delta Gold
Originally Posted by CPH-Flyer
It was over the Christmas New Year period that it has been set to 90 days, for January peak season for me the cancellation period was 21 days, and one night penalty after that. If you go to off peak it even be more generous. You always need to check, different seasons different rules.
Yes, this is correct, I even did a dummy booking at RC for random dates in May (IIRC) and got a 14 day cancelation window.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.