Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Hotels and Places to Stay > Marriott | Marriott Bonvoy
Reload this Page >

St. Regis Maldives Vommuli Resort [Master Thread]

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

St. Regis Maldives Vommuli Resort [Master Thread]

Search this Thread

Old May 4, 2021, 5:37 pm

Programs: Marriott Bonvoy Platinum, Hilton Honors Diamond, Delta Gold
Originally Posted by CPH-Flyer
There are any number of apps that can use WiFi for calls. The important part is that the caller uses the same app. My go to app is WhatsApp, as it is platform independent, reliable, and simple to use.
We used WhatsApp and Google Voice, both worked well. When we made a mistake and didn't use Wifi the Verizon charges were astronomical, so you need to be careful.
CPH-Flyer likes this.
Old May 4, 2021, 5:57 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: JAL Metal Card (OWE), SAS Eurobonus Gold (*G), Marriott Titanium (LTP), Tokyu Hotels Platinum
Originally Posted by friedablass
We used WhatsApp and Google Voice, both worked well. When we made a mistake and didn't use Wifi the Verizon charges were astronomical, so you need to be careful.
Which is why as a principle roaming data is always switched off on my phone. Then I don't make mistakes.
friedablass likes this.
Old May 4, 2021, 6:52 pm

Which is why as a principle roaming data is always switched off on my phone. Then I don't make mistakes.
Yup that was definitely an expensive lesson we learned as first timers there. Next time around roaming gets switched off.
Old May 4, 2021, 7:15 pm

Programs: AA EXP, Hyatt Globalist, Marriott Titanium
Google Fi

Google Fi is a great option for international calls, text and data. You can pause the service at anytime. Cost only $20 a month for call and text and $10 per gig of data. The usage is also prorated, so if you only have the service enabled for 10 days, and just only 500mb... You only pay for that portion of the usage. I use it as my international phone and only resume the service when I travel. Way cheaper, more and faster coverage than verizon's daily international pass. You can also use their "data only" sim card, which is great as mobile hotspot or backup phones for data use only.
Old May 4, 2021, 9:25 pm

Originally Posted by raylee123
Google Fi is a great option for international calls, text and data. You can pause the service at anytime. Cost only $20 a month for call and text and $10 per gig of data. The usage is also prorated, so if you only have the service enabled for 10 days, and just only 500mb... You only pay for that portion of the usage. I use it as my international phone and only resume the service when I travel. Way cheaper, more and faster coverage than verizon's daily international pass. You can also use their "data only" sim card, which is great as mobile hotspot or backup phones for data use only.
I actually was going to write in my previous post that I think Google Fi would be a great option, but I'm not so well versed with this service and didn't want to mislead anyone so I just didn't bother writing it.

Do you change the SIM to a Google Fi Sim in your existing Verizon phone or you have a separate phone with a Google Fi Sim or your Verizon Sim works with Google Fi? Thanks in advance for clarifying this.
Old May 4, 2021, 9:47 pm

I actually was going to write in my previous post that I think Google Fi would be a great option, but I'm not so well versed with this service and didn't want to mislead anyone so I just didn't bother writing it.

Do you change the SIM to a Google Fi Sim in your existing Verizon phone or you have a separate phone with a Google Fi Sim or your Verizon Sim works with Google Fi? Thanks in advance for clarifying this.
I just swap my Verizon sim for my Google Fi sim when on board flight leaving US. I swap back before landing back in the US. I also like to use a google Fi data only sim on an older backup phone.
Old May 4, 2021, 9:48 pm

Location: Manhattan, Palm Beach Island, San Francisco, Boston, & Hong Kong
Programs: Lifetime United Global Services, Delta Plat, Hyatt Globalist, Marriott Ambassador, & Hilton Diamond

I use Google Fi in a second phone. For iPhone users, you need to change your carrier settings for Fi so it can be rather cumbersome. They have an esim option too but I have not tried it.
Old May 4, 2021, 10:12 pm

Thanks all. I use an Android so SIM swapping it will be.
Old May 5, 2021, 12:18 am

Programs: AA EXP / Marriott AMB & LT Titanium
Originally Posted by Rachael N Karey Kopacz
We will be coming in from Arizona and have Verizon phone service. Any suggestions on how to best receive calls from the US? I do not see the Maldives in the Verizon travel pass and am assuming there has to be a free call app for the iPhone.? Thank you!
Last time I was there , having Verizon service at home, and an iPhone, I disabled all cellular services (voice + data) & enabled Wi-Fi calling & connected to StR’s Wi-Fi and was able to initiate and receive calls as if I was home.
Old May 5, 2021, 12:55 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: JAL Metal Card (OWE), SAS Eurobonus Gold (*G), Marriott Titanium (LTP), Tokyu Hotels Platinum
I just swap my Verizon sim for my Google Fi sim when on board flight leaving US. I swap back before landing back in the US. I also like to use a google Fi data only sim on an older backup phone.
Just get a phone with a dual SIM function, much easier.
Old May 5, 2021, 1:02 am

Programs: UA plat, , aa plat, marriott LT titanium
Just get a phone with a dual SIM function, much easier.
Not if you live in the US
Old May 5, 2021, 3:05 am
Suspended

Looking at a points booking here, but none of the overwater are avail for redemption. How disappointed will we be w the non-overwater options / is there ever a shot to SNA or get a Tit UG?
Old May 5, 2021, 4:31 am

Originally Posted by 747-800i
Looking at a points booking here, but none of the overwater are avail for redemption. How disappointed will we be w the non-overwater options / is there ever a shot to SNA or get a Tit UG?
SNA don't apply here as it's an all suite property. Upgrades depend on availability so if the OW are sold out...you are out of luck...e.g., which often happens during the Christmas season.
Old May 5, 2021, 8:07 pm

I think those rates are for the peak season. They start to go back down a tad at the end of April... And probably back to current rates for May to early November (non-peak season). I have been monitoring the cash upgrade rates for the past year as we are planning to visit in October during the shoulder season. Our backup dates were in December or February and the cash upgrade for December 2020 and February 2021 were similar to current rates for December 2021 and February 2022 (when they were bookable in early 2020 prior to covid-19 closings.
I just checked the points or cash upgrade rates for 2022 through the last bookable date with is 4/21/22 and I didn't notice any dates where it went down even a little bit. Its consistently showing the rates I had quoted, between +20k and +50k points (as well as +80k for the 2 bedroom villas) and I'm quite disappointed. This is substantially more than in 2020 and 2021.

You can still get the old upgrade rates through mid December 2021. I'll wait and see to see if the rates in May to November 2022 go back down to current rates as you predict.
Old May 5, 2021, 10:05 pm
Suspended

SNA don't apply here as it's an all suite property. Upgrades depend on availability so if the OW are sold out...you are out of luck...e.g., which often happens during the Christmas season.
Would shoot for a week or two after NYE in hopes most people on holiday clear out by then.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.