Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Hotels and Places to Stay > Marriott | Marriott Bonvoy
Reload this Page >

Sheraton Xian (Xi'an), China [Master Thread]

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Sheraton Xian (Xi'an), China [Master Thread]

Search this Thread

Old Nov 29, 2005, 8:34 am
Moderator: American AAdvantage & Marriott Bonvoy

Programs: American ExPlat; Marriott/SPG Lifetime Plat; Hyatt Globalist
Originally Posted by PTravel
I've finally abandoned Marriott and switched over to Starwood. I've got two nights on business in Beijing in January. Can anyone recommend a good Starwood property, reasonably centrally located. I won't say that money is no object, but the firm is paying for this one.
Definitely, without question, the St. Regis. You'll find it a bargain relative to other St. Regis hotels, so you shouldn't have much difficulty justifying it to "the firm."

Do a search here in the SPG forum for "St. Regis Beijing" and you'll find lots of helpful info about the hotel and the area.
Old Nov 29, 2005, 8:45 am
Suspended

St Regis Beijing one of the best if not the best Starwood property in Asia.

Last edited by mario33; Nov 29, 2005 at 8:48 am
Old Nov 29, 2005, 8:57 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Wow! I guess it's unanimous. The St. Regis it is.

Thanks, everyone!
Old Nov 29, 2005, 9:45 am

Programs: SPG Plat, HHonor Diamond, Hyatt PLAT, Marriott PLat, UA 1K, AA EXP, DL PLAT, BMI Gold, Co PLAT
yes, st regis!

sheraton is a very old hotel, more than 12 years(should more than that).
Old Dec 1, 2005, 4:19 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Update:

I booked the St. Regis on-line, and got an incredible rate of around 1300 RMB/night (about $165/night).

Thanks, everyone!
Old Dec 1, 2005, 7:41 am
Original Member

Programs: AA 2MM, Bonvoy LTT, Hilton Diamond
Definitely St. Regis. Ask for SPG50. Rate is 1350 if it's avail.
Old Dec 1, 2005, 3:29 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 2MM/GS; SPG Lifetime Plat; MHC Lifetime; Tar Heel forever; and I "Dig the Pig" at Piggly Wiggly
Not that you need another voice of support for the St Regis, but it is one of the nicest hotels in the entire Starwood fleet. It certainly ranks in my list of Top-Five! ^ Excellently appointed rooms, absolutely top-notch staff, the whole nine-yards.

Just check breakfast prices in the morning. We were there on holiday (no per diem) and the prices were outrageously high. Maybe standard for Beijing but amongst the highest of any I have ever paid in a hotel anywhere in the world!
Old Dec 1, 2005, 4:56 pm

Avoid the Sheraton Great Wall at all costs. This is an intolerant hotel. The only Starwood location in the world that we have found intolerant in fact.
Old Dec 1, 2005, 8:08 pm
Suspended

Originally Posted by kevinsac
Just check breakfast prices in the morning. We were there on holiday (no per diem) and the prices were outrageously high. Maybe standard for Beijing but amongst the highest of any I have ever paid in a hotel anywhere in the world!
Yes, the buffet breakfast is indeed very expensive at the St Regis Beijing. The only other place in Asia where I have seen such expensive breakfast is at The Datai in Langkawi, eventhough its nowhere near the prices at the Westin Excelsiors in Italy .

On the positive side, the St Regis Beijing does participate in the Starwood Privilege programme which entitle members discounted dining at the property.

Last edited by mario33; Dec 1, 2005 at 8:12 pm
Old Dec 1, 2005, 8:43 pm

Programs: UA1k, AA plt, SW plt, Mar plt
Definitely st regis, but I would say that if you're paying for it, with points or $, the sheraton is a better value and is reasonably nice.
Old Dec 2, 2005, 11:36 am

Programs: SPG Gold
Originally Posted by PTravel
Update:

I booked the St. Regis on-line, and got an incredible rate of around 1300 RMB/night (about $165/night).

Thanks, everyone!

I stayed at the Beijing St Regis last April at a similar rate and got the full upgrade treatment. Best value for my $ ever! Enjoy the Tibetan or the Mongolian restaurant right near the hotel. I forget the name of the street but it is perpendicular to the street the entrance is on. (3 streets to the right from the US Embassy)
Old Dec 2, 2005, 11:55 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 2MM/GS; SPG Lifetime Plat; MHC Lifetime; Tar Heel forever; and I "Dig the Pig" at Piggly Wiggly
Originally Posted by mario33
On the positive side, the St Regis Beijing does participate in the Starwood Privilege programme which entitle members discounted dining at the property.
OK.....educate me. I have been Platinum for years now. I have stayed at all levels of Starwood properties. I have never heard of "Starwood Privilege." What is it, what are the benefits, and more importantly....how do I get these benefits?

Originally Posted by shoodawg
Avoid the Sheraton Great Wall at all costs. This is an intolerant hotel. The only Starwood location in the world that we have found intolerant in fact.
Shoodawg....I am very curious about what you mean? How were they intolerant....and against what? Regardless of any local customs, it bothers me that hotel staff (which serves customers from around the world) would be intolerant.

We avoided the Great Wall and went to St Regis because we wanted to pamper ourselves.....and we booked a suite with SPG50 for about $150/night. And that was a spectacular room.....and one of the best hotel bathrooms in the world!
Old Dec 2, 2005, 12:05 pm
Original Member

Programs: AA 2MM, Bonvoy LTT, Hilton Diamond
I can't say enough good things about the St. Regis. They really know how to treat their Platinums. The travel desk was pretty good too. My wife and I were there several weeks ago (right before Bush was in town), we had booked a three tour combo. My wife wasn't feeling well the morning of the third tour. I called to the desk 90 minutes before we were to be picked up and they cancelled the tour no questions asked and adjusted our charge to the two-tour combo pacakge instead.
Old Dec 2, 2005, 12:34 pm
Moderator: American AAdvantage & Marriott Bonvoy

Programs: American ExPlat; Marriott/SPG Lifetime Plat; Hyatt Globalist
Originally Posted by kevinsac
. . . Shoodawg....I am very curious about what you mean? How were they intolerant....and against what?
You can read about that experience in this old thread, which got out of control and was closed. But, please, let's not take this discussion back there.

AZ
Old Dec 2, 2005, 12:47 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Thanks, AZ. I have my own thoughts about intolerance of any kind.....but will stay out of that battle in this "travel" forum.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.